Switch Before I start Hardmode...

Hakaibutsu

Terrarian
I spent a LOT of time building a pretty fancy home base and have just recently gotten to a point where I’m ready to start hard mode.

Should I do this on my map with my base that I put HOURS into building or should I simply start a new map with some basic box houses for my NPC’s?

Any opinions on the matter or personal experiences that should steer me one way or the other?

Personally I would prefer to keep the main world, as you want to use that one more. Later on you'll get a tool that helps cleaning the world evil/hallow if desired.

If you're really want to be cautious. You can make a backup of your world file to revert back if you want. Or start a new world and make progress there.

I can recommend a temporary fix to the hallow/crimson/corruption growth and that would be to dig a 5' wide hellivator straight down to keep them from spreading. Then, you can isolate the area and cleanse it later. Make sure to get rid of any background wall that could end up getting infected as well.

If you're really want to be cautious. You can make a backup of your world file to revert back if you want. Or start a new world and make progress there.

Unfortunately, I don’t think making a backup is an option on Switch, currently. So I made a second world in which to play hard mode on. But I may just go it in my main world as you’re correct about wanting to play there more.

dig a 5' wide hellivator straight down to keep them from spreading. Then, you can isolate the area and cleanse it later.
This might be what I ultimately do so I can play on my map with my really cool base. I’ve already made a second map with 2 NPC hotels but I’m feeling uninspired to play on this map. Tough choice here between worrying about my stylish base and playing a basic base map. :confused:

It's easy enough to secure a fancy base world with proper planning, don't worry.

Having your world with a fancy base be the main world you play on feels nicer. Feels personal. It's your world. Possibly even your home base you turn into a storage hub down the line.

It's easy enough to secure a fancy base world with proper planning, don't worry.

Having your world with a fancy base be the main world you play on feels nicer. Feels personal.
You’re absolutely right. My new map with the NPC hotels aren’t doing it for me. I’m gonna use the above tips and start hard mode soon on my old world. The tough part will be preserving jungle when that V stripe of Hollow and Crimson appear.

You’re absolutely right. My new map with the NPC hotels aren’t doing it for me. I’m gonna use the above tips and start hard mode soon on my old world. The tough part will be preserving jungle when that V stripe of Hollow and Crimson appear.
Don't worry too, too much about the Jungle. Across my many playthroughs since 1.3, the Underground Jungle is fairly resilient.

The surface Jungle might have a slight struggle, but that can be replanted. The Underground Jungle can defend itself for quite a while.

The Underground Jungle can defend itself for quite a while.
That’s good to know! I won’t feel so anxious now when starting out in hard mode.
A good tactic will be to break any infected walls and grass that you find down there
Definitely going to do that. I think I’ll just start by making hellevators on both sides of every biom. If I see a stripe of hollow or crimson going through the middle of either biom, I guess I just have to dig above and below it. What about vines tho? If I recall, vines don’t grow underground. Except in the jungle I guess?

Assuming you are running 1.3+, the Underground Jungle is invincible.

Chlorophyte makes the Jungle immune to Corruption/Crimson. Your only worry is the Surface Jungle, and spread of Crimson/Corruption there is easily stopped by a couple tunnels on either side of the Jungle that go down to the Underground Layer.

Assuming you built your base in the center of the map, dig a U-shaped "bowl" around your base with quarantine tunnels. Said tunnels need to go down to the Underground at the very least on the vertical shafts and have a horizontal shaft connecting the two vertical ones, and these need to be 5+ blocks wide of incorruptible material or air. Just make sure no grass can grow on either side (the corruption/crimson can spread through thorny vines which can grow on any grassy surface). You can prevent grass from growing by lining the walls of such quarantine tunnels with any incorruptible material such as Wood or Snow.

You can also dig quarantine tunnels around anything else you want to protect, such as Deserts. In the end, though, you just need to last long enough to get a Clentaminator which lets you change entire biomes though it is somewhat pricey to do this (the gun itself is 2 platinum, and the solution is somewhat expensive over time too).

Once you kill Plantera, your Corruption/Crimson woes are mostly over, as the spread is vastly slowed down.

EDIT: I had/have a guide around here somewheres about quarantining a base, but I'm not sure the screenshots would still work because Steam likes to change the format of their links which is annoying.

Last edited:
Just keep that world,you'll get the Clentaminator in no time after killing any mechanical boss (Destroyer or Skeletron Prime is the easiest with either Palladium,Cobalt,Orichalchum,Mythril,Titanium or Adamantite armor and weapons)

Just keep that world,you'll get the Clentaminator in no time.
That’s good to know because I just started hard mode and my quarantine tunnels ‘failed’. The stripe of crimson went straight through my snow biome and the hollow hit a small section of my jungle and desert biome. I have some work to do now. :confused:

That’s good to know because I just started hard mode and my quarantine tunnels ‘failed’. The stripe of crimson went straight through my snow biome and the hollow hit a small section of my jungle and desert biome. I have some work to do now. :confused:
Make sure you only use green solution or else you'll spread the Hallow or Crimson (Hallow will destroy crimson, because the Crimson can't fight back)

You could also use the less effective Purification powder, which is better for tiny patches of left-over Crimson or Hallow

Back
Top Bottom