PC Can't Change Controls

neoprototype

Terrarian
Hello,
I am new to this game on PC, and I recently bought it from GOG. I was playing around and wanted to change some of the keys for the controls, but when I do it doesn't seem to work.
First of all after going in the Settings>Controls, I click on the Inventory to change it to the "F" key but it doesn't respond, there is just a blank underscore. I click the "Default Settings" option to revert it back to the "ESC" key, but when I go back to the game, all they keys stop responding and my only option is to Save & Exit with the mouse. If I close the menu the "ESC" key doesn't respond so I am forced to force quit the game from the Windows Task Manager. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

When you click and an underscore shows up, you're supposed to press a button to reconfigure.

When you click and an underscore shows up, you're supposed to press a button to reconfigure.
Yes, I have tried different buttons and it doesn't accept any, I have tried just about every key on the keyboard; the underscore just stays blank and doesn't change to the key I'm choosing. I can click Back even though no key has been accepted and the game stops responding to any input from the keyboard.

Ok so I finally found a crappy solution while we all wait for a patch to fix this;
If you have access to another computer that can run Terraria (i.e.: any Computer ever) thenyou can:
Access to the config file in Documents/My Games/Terraria
Edit the settings on that PC
Bring the config to the PC with the editing problem
and Voila! Preferred controls on the preferred system.
(Note: Do NOT try editing your controls in game as it will break as per usual.)
Oh, and if you have found a better solution that doesn't involve all this hassle please share!

Ok so I finally found a crappy solution while we all wait for a patch to fix this;
If you have access to another computer that can run Terraria (i.e.: any Computer ever) thenyou can:
Access to the config file in Documents/My Games/Terraria
Edit the settings on that PC
Bring the config to the PC with the editing problem
and Voila! Preferred controls on the preferred system.
(Note: Do NOT try editing your controls in game as it will break as per usual.)
Oh, and if you have found a better solution that doesn't involve all this hassle please share!

Thank you! I did not do any of that but the problem resolved itself when I tried a Multiplayer for the first time. Since I now have the keys the way I want them, I have not messed with it. It was initially very strange though.

I don't know how to change the controls too, but recently, I discovered how. Its very, very very very very very SIMPLE. Just restart your computer. Easy Right?

I just had to reset my controls, accidentally made ESC into Mouse1, oops.

I found it wasn't the config.json file but input profiles.json

You can edit the config file with any text editor.
.\Documents\my games\Terraria\input profiles.json

I attached the default config so you can just replace the file if needed. I had to rename it with a *.txt extension, just change it back to *.json and use.

Attachments

• input profiles.txt
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,568
Yes, in the current version of Terraria, keybindings are stored in input profiles.json. This file did not exist until 1.3.1, which came out after Marcus' post (January)

Yes, in the current version of Terraria, keybindings are stored in input profiles.json. This file did not exist until 1.3.1, which came out after Marcus' post (January)
hello yes i have have a question do u know how to change the keybinding from up being left click to being normal cuz i tried alot of things and nothing has worked

Okay I found out that if you have the steam configuration on it will clash with everything else. Turn/Force off the steam controller config for the game off and it should work.

Okay I found out that if you have the steam configuration on it will clash with everything else. Turn/Force off the steam controller config for the game off and it should work.
I figured out you can just edit the input profiles .json, it contains all the controls

Back
Top Bottom