tModLoader (CANCLED) Tides of Aether

gamagamer64

Terrarian
After several months of careful deliberation in the background, we have reached a conclusion on what is best for Tides of Aether, the team, and our health.

Tides of Aether, as a Terraria Mod, will be discontinued, and will not release. This is, unfortunately, for a wide variety of reasons.
Originally, we were slated to make Tides of Aether release in a properly playable state, hoping to make a solid first impression. Much of it was designed around the existence of 1.4 as the final update, TMod's initial goals to update to it only a few months after it came out, and that we would still have a team to work with.

Unfortunately, as you might know, this has not been the case. Terraria still continues to update vastly faster than we can keep up with, TMod's new API would take several coders several months if going non-stop to get our features ported or remade, and even if not the nebulous state of Terraria as our base, our team size has shrunk so much we barely even have one coder, with only 2 other active and proper asset contributors, and all attempts to recruit even extremely tiny amounts of help have not worked out even across the past year.
With a mod that has only the foundation and hardest design challenges complete of what it needs, but no one to build its core, we can't confidently or proudly release an unfinished, disconnected mess - or a lackluster miniscule demo, after all the years we spent putting this together.

It's not something we wanted, but ultimately, it is quite literally physically impossible for us to finish this mod without working our tiny, already job-laden team to death, so this is why we have opted to throw in the hat before we stress even more about the many factors out of our control. And to avoid staining what we wanted it to be if we find a better time.

Tides of Aether's aesthetic, story, and concepts it wanted to offer, are best used out of this game, in a better place, better time, with more people, in a better future. Thank you, for sticking around, and we're sorry it has to end this way. - Tides of Aether Team

I will be leaving this here for those who wish to see what the mod was going to be:
ToA.gif

Welcome to Tides of Aether, This mod aims to be another large content mod, but as it stands right now were still currently building the mod from the ground up.

The planned release version will have 4 bosses, 2 pre-hardmode and 2 hardmode
over 100 items, this includes crafting materials, weapons accessories and so on.
and at least 2 new ores
several new enemies
and 1(maybe 2 idk man depends) new Town Npcs

We are currently in need of more spriters and animators!
if you think you can help you can contact me here on the forums or on our official discord

Current update status:
E

Current Content for the release version is 50% complete

Join the Tides of Aether Discord Server!

Content Spoilers:

Pre-hardmode Bosses:
Great Peruda:
Capture57.gif

A large penguin-Drake that inhabits the ice biome
this guy is the first boss in the mod and comes be before the king slime in progression
he drops the material to make items that are useful for getting a quick start in the game

Juvenile Corphel:
Capture95.gif

a large Slug-Drake that comes after the EoC, he drops the materials to make a load of useful equipment for fighting the bosses to come

Hardmode bosses:
Forgotten Guardian:
golemm.gif

An ancient mechanism long sense rusted over and forgotten

Nahlyn:
Nahlyn sprite mk2-export.png

an escaped fugitive, armed with a stolen and powerful weapon

Minibosses and enemies:
we will have very many minibosses and enemies here are just a few
Sirens:
Capture63.gif

The Hallow siren will be just one of many different kinds of sirens you will be able to find.
Sirens are a rare miniboss type that drop special Materials to make cool and unique items,
they also have a chance to drop a super rare transformation accessory with its own unique perks

Drake Minibosses:
Capture73.gif

Drakes are a semi-rare miniboss type:
they range from any thing like the classic wing armed dragon, to this neck monstrosity here
and will have their own unique loot to drop

Weapons:
Iron Lance Inventory-export.png
Lances:
lance demo.gif

A new type of melee weapon, they act like the traditional spear weapon when you attack, but holding right click will let you use the shield to block!
Lances are specialized for tanking damage and countering with powerful attacks

gunlance ui.gif
Gunlances:

a subtype of lances, that fires a shell as its counter attack
gunlance demo.gif

longsword.gif
LongSword:
charging long sword.gif

attack enemies to build up your spirit meter, the spirit meter can then be used to preform up to 3 different moves:

The Forward Slash:

side slash.gif

m2+a or d will send you in the direction of your mouse and will preform a forward slash

The Back Slash:
back slash.gif

m2 will preform the counter backslash, a move that lets you doge attacks twice and deal out some damage

The Spirit Slash:
iai slash.gif

m2 + w or m2 +s will preform the the Spirit slash attack, a high risk high reward counter attack

Accessories: (Or the more notable ones for the time being)
Mana Battery-export.png
Mana Battery:
a Useful accessory for early game mages, it should help cut down on the potion consumption
mana battery demo.gif

Chaotic Siren Crystal-export.png
Siren Crystals:
siren crystals are a very rare accessory doped from sirens, equipping them allows you to take the form of a siren and gain some of their abilities and aspects.
Capture133.gif

Insect Charm.png
Insect charm:
a very useful accessory for summoners, it can be obtained in the early game, it summons a insect ally to attack enemies for you, and when they attack enemies they have a chance to drop essences that you can pick up and gain buffs from.
Capture134.gif

Enchanted sheath.png
Enchanted Sheath:
Capture189.gif

a very important melee accessory, it essentially gives every true melee weapon a projectile that doubles the range of the weapon at the cost of damage

Tiles and blocks:
dragonvein crystal.png
Dragonvein Crystals: a rare crystal said to be formed from the long dead corpses of dragons, it is used in important upgrades
new_dragon_ore.png

quick silver.png
Quick Silver: an uncommon mineral that is used in the refinement of other ores
quick silver essentially lets you get more bars out of less ore
Capture 2020-06-30 17_56_25.png

Development team:

Lead Developers:
Gamagamer64
Ziggums
Kerubii

Programing team:
Skymory_24

Visual Team:
Oxymercuration
MrPlague

Other Notable members of the team:
Dan Yami
SpectreSkirt

Special thanks:
BabeElena, for making a preview for the mod:
B.ghost for helping with early mod concepts and development
Pinkie for making alot of the hunting horn sound effects, seriously you are awesome

Attachments

• Capture59.gif
    Capture59.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,619
Last edited:
Now this is an interesting mod. I look forward to seeing what else you do with it! Thank you for sharing pictures of your work as you go. It really makes a big difference in spreading enthusiasm for the mod.

I agree, that's some really awesome spritework!
now watch him get recruited by the Calamity Team for paid work and abandon this
funny thing is, im an X-calamity Dev and so is most of the mod team, so none of us want anything todo with the Calamity mod at all
[doublepost=1568838763,1568838622][/doublepost]
Very interesting...

Plz don't let this project be dead!

Its not dead, progress is just very slow

Last edited:
I know things have been quiet for a while but the mod is still being actively worked on. we are currently trying to find some one who can do world gen code so we can maybe have an actual biome on release, but in terms of good news we have decided to add another boss to the release version, so instead of 4 bosses you will be getting 5. It will still be quite some time though before the mod is fully ready to release, im estimating it will be out some time next year, im going to keep updating this forum post with new stuff when there is stuff to show off.

Hallow Siren has some new moves!:
View attachment 237022
I always find it how all these Ex/Future/IwannaBeBetterThanCalamity Devs' push for unique content is great, thou I'm starting to see this ripple filter alot these days. Thou you might wanna tone it down a bit, it seems a bit too strong and large for a miniboss.

Love me some rainbows too!

Anyways, I had forgotten about this mod to be honest as this was the day before I left the forums (reasons that are not important here, but before returning later of course), looking though the comments here it's pretty clear this work isn't getting enough attention which is rather sad, it reminds of this mod to a large degree, which if not for the misreading name and overbearing wall of text, has some things that I don't think people have done before at all. Not trying to advertise here, just the underdogs deserve a chance of the spot light.

Anyways yeah your siren is sexy af, I can tell both the coders AND spriters working on this project are very skilled, and it can go places for sure, good luck!

I always find it how all these Ex/Future/IwannaBeBetterThanCalamity Devs' push for unique content is great, thou I'm starting to see this ripple filter alot these days. Thou you might wanna tone it down a bit, it seems a bit too strong and large for a miniboss.

Love me some rainbows too!

Anyways, I had forgotten about this mod to be honest as this was the day before I left the forums (reasons that are not important here, but before returning later of course), looking though the comments here it's pretty clear this work isn't getting enough attention which is rather sad, it reminds of this mod to a large degree, which if not for the misreading name and overbearing wall of text, has some things that I don't think people have done before at all. Not trying to advertise here, just the underdogs deserve a chance of the spot light.

Anyways yeah your siren is sexy af, I can tell both the coders AND spriters working on this project are very skilled, and it can go places for sure, good luck!
I mean given how her song is strong enough to rip open space to teleport enemies in I think the ripple effect is just fine, also thank you for the kind words and support, were working hard to make sure this mod brings new and fun things to both fight, play with, and explore

I mean given how her song is strong enough to rip open space to teleport enemies in I think the ripple effect is just fine, also thank you for the kind words and support, were working hard to make sure this mod brings new and fun things to both fight, play with, and explore
Oh, I didn't even notice the enemies spawning in lol, ok now it's more reasonable lol
And well reserved respect!

This mod shows lots of potential. Hope we'll get to see more in the future.

Cloaker-Dropkick-fast edit: I really like that Penguin-wyvern sprite. Looks real cool.

Last edited:

Gunlance has been overhauled,before it felt like it was just a lance that did more damage but now its something more unique
Before: every 3rd hit fired a shell, right clicking blocked
Now: left click will fire shells, right clicking stabs, stabbing 3 times will build up a single shell, you can store up to six, you can hold left click to charge a shell making it deal an additional 50% damage, you get a passive damage reduction buff while the weapon is out, the buff will reduce damage from one attack and then go on a 5 second cool down, having the gunlance out will reduce your max velocity by 10%

Back
Top Bottom