tAPI SonicR's Doctor Who Mod

I believe that I've come up with a solution that should satisfy everyone. I've created a new Town NPC who, instead of selling items, determines what player attributes will change when you regenerate. There are five options to choose from: Hair Style, Gender, Hair Colour, Skin Colour and Eye Colour. All five can be toggled on and off independently. What this means is that you can regenerate without changing your appearance at all, or with just your eye colour changing. Any combination of the five is possible.

That sounds great! Much appreciated. :dryadhappy:

Well, I've 2x2ed your sprites! How do you think they look?
The 13 Doctors.png

They look quite good! There are a few parts I won't change (the striped pants on 2, 5, 6 and 10, and one or two other bits that I changed myself a few days ago ^_^), but other than that, good job, and thanks! If you'd like to do more in the future, feel free.
Thanks! I'll check back once you've released some more sprites.

The TARDIS being bigger on the inside is not going to happen, unfortunately, but I've got a TARDIS exterior and console sprite ready for use.

Actually I have it in vanilla already. I made myself a small Tardis exterior which was basically made of blue painted bricks, bat banners and a glass candle tied to a 1 second timer on top of a teleporter with a pressure plate sending me to my tardis on a cloud... which can be as freaking big as I want.

terraria tardis.jpg

Fine... it's not perfect but it's mine and it works dammit.

Now if I could get that Tardis sound in there...

PS: By the way the Tardis in the sky is a work in project meant to be a "museum" with every paintings, tables, chairs, lights armors, vanity items and so on... and I'm lazy so it's an unfinished empty space for now...

Last edited:
Well, a bit later than what I had hoped, I'm pleased to say that the first 'big' update for the mod is here!

New features include:
  • Four new hostile NPCs. All spawn in hardmode.
  • New item - the Doctor Whodoo Doll (yes, that pun is 100% intentional). Is a 10% drop from the four hostile mobs. Allows you to damage the Doctors when equipped..
  • All vanity items now have female variations
  • All Doctors now behave like the Travelling Merchant. They have a chance to spawn any time from morning to noon, then despawn ~6pm in game. Only one Doctor will spawn at a time.
  • The Eleventh Doctor has a graphical variation. This feature will eventually extend to the other Doctors in future updates.
  • New Town NPC - the Time Lord. He spawns as long as one of the Doctors is present.

However, the biggest feature of this update is, without a doubt, the ability for the player to regenerate. Simply buy the Chameleon Arch from any of the Doctors once the Time Lord NPC has spawned, then use it. The TARDIS sound will play, meaning that your character is now a Time Lord, and can subsequently do this:

Regen Particles.jpg

Now, for the convenience of mod users, your character's appearance will not change by default. But for those who do like the idea of their player randomly changing their appearnce, the new Time Lord NPC allows you to determine what player attributes will change, as shown below:

Regen Options.png

The attributes are, respectively, Hair Style, Gender, Hair Colour, Skin Colour and Eye Colour (the full versions wouldn't fit in the chat box). All 5 are able to be toggled on/off at any time, so literally any combination of the 5 is possible.

That's about it for this update. I don't think I've forgotten anything, but if you notice something out of place, please let me know. Also, if you have any ideas/requests/feedback, I'd love to hear them!

Also, thanks to Darthmorf for his touching up of the Doctor sprites. Your work is much appreciated!

Download HERE

Enjoy!

Last edited:
What if you added the capacity of the player (who is already a time lord) to become human using a pocket watch? and maybe, using the same watch again, the player would become a time lord again!

What if you added the capacity of the player (who is already a time lord) to become human using a pocket watch? and maybe, using the same watch again, the player would become a time lord again!

Great idea! And because I had nothing better to do today, I've added it to the mod!

Update!

When the Chameleon Arch is used, it will turn into a Fob Watch, which allows you to return to being a human. And if you use the Fob Watch, it turns back into the Chameleon Arch, so you're never stuck as the one species indefinitely. If you ever lose one of the items, the Doctors will always sell them as long as the Time Lord NPC is present. Other than that, nothing major, just a few small changes/fixes that I missed in the previous update.

Download HERE

Have fun!

I've been playing the mod lately and I'm afraid I've encountered a couple of bugs in the regenerative process.

Firstly, when I was regenrating, I noticed that some particles, like projectiles, lasers and fire, were invisible. They were still there, and could damage me, but I couldn't see them.

Also, one time, I was regenerating while some enemies were attacking me.:sigh:Anyway, during the regeneration, my hp reached 0, but I didn't die. It actually reached 1 and the regenerative process restarted, and, since the enemies were constantly attacking me, I got stuck in an eternal regeneration.

I hope this bug report helped! :joy:

I've been playing the mod lately and I'm afraid I've encountered a couple of bugs in the regenerative process.

Firstly, when I was regenrating, I noticed that some particles, like projectiles, lasers and fire, were invisible. They were still there, and could damage me, but I couldn't see them.

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Was it like being inflicted by an invisible on fire! debuff, for example? You'll have to elaborate a bit.

Also, one time, I was regenerating while some enemies were attacking me.:sigh:Anyway, during the regeneration, my hp reached 0, but I didn't die. It actually reached 1 and the regenerative process restarted, and, since the enemies were constantly attacking me, I got stuck in an eternal regeneration.

That shouln't be happening anyway, but I played around with the code and tested it a couple of times, and it works as intended now. Thanks for letting me know.

I've updated the download links with a quick hotfix that should remove the perpetual regeneration bug.

I would try this mod more if the daleks didnt scream in your ear every time they say "Exterminate" I honestly think that sound file should be made ALOT quieter.

Thank you for constantly updating this mod!
I wish I had time to play it now. But it is top on the list for my Christmas holiday!
Keep up the good work. :dryadpassionate:

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Was it like being inflicted by an invisible on fire! debuff, for example? You'll have to elaborate a bit.

Let me be clearer - the debuffs particles were still visible, but enemy projectiles effects, like the Fire Imp's fire spheres, and the Clinger's cursed flames spheres, were invisible. Actually, the projectiles were visible, but their trails and effects were not. Also, some "flamethrower-like" attacks were not visible at all, like the Ichor Sticker's spit.

In the image you can see that I am receiving damage, but the Ichor spit is invisible.

I'm sorry if I weren't clear enough in the first post.

Attachments

• invisible ichor.png
    invisible ichor.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,314
Let me be clearer - the debuffs particles were still visible, but enemy projectiles effects, like the Fire Imp's fire spheres, and the Clinger's cursed flames spheres, were invisible. Actually, the projectiles were visible, but their trails and effects were not. Also, some "flamethrower-like" attacks were not visible at all, like the Ichor Sticker's spit.

In the image you can see that I am receiving damage, but the Ichor spit is invisible.

I'm sorry if I weren't clear enough in the first post.

I just tested it myself, and it only seems to happen when the regenerationg buff is activated, which is strange, considering that the buff's code doesn't have anything to do with enemy projectiles. It sounds more like a tAPI problem than one specific to the mod, actually. I'll make a post about it in the tAPI thread and see if anyone can find the cause.

I would try this mod more if the daleks didnt scream in your ear every time they say "Exterminate" I honestly think that sound file should be made ALOT quieter.

I've lowered the volume of all the sound files that I use, so hopefully they'll be a lot easier to listen to now. Thanks for your feedback!

I've updated the download links so you get a version with the lowered volumes.

Another issue, the doctors that arrive take up rooms making it very annoying to get other NPCs, I get like 8 doctors taking up rooms then I have to build a bunch of spare rooms just to get NPCs due to the doctors wasting them while they are there. The travelling merchant doesnt do that but if the doctors act like the travelling merchant then why do they take up rooms?

So the problem seems to be with Terraria's limit on how many particles can be on screen at once. Evidently the regeneration effect spawns so many that the game can't handle any others. I'll see what I can do about it.

The travelling merchant doesnt do that but if the doctors act like the travelling merchant then why do they take up rooms?

The methods they use to spawn are different.

Another issue, the doctors that arrive take up rooms making it very annoying to get other NPCs, I get like 8 doctors taking up rooms then I have to build a bunch of spare rooms just to get NPCs due to the doctors wasting them while they are there.

Bleh, thanks for alerting me to this. I've fixed it and updated the download link again. You should only be getting one Doctor at a time now, as intended.

Download version r3b here.

Also, I'm not sure if I should make the Doctors spawn less. Currently, one spawns every day, but if the (daily) repeating cycle of spawn-despawn gets annoying for some people, I'll make it so they spawn more periodically. Let me know what you think.

Personally, I don't mind the Doctor spawning each day, but I take issue with how he departs. Unlike the Traveling Merchant, he just vanishes into thin air. This has been annoying on a couple of occasions where I was reading his dialogue or browsing his shop when he suddenly disappears and takes me out of it. At least the Traveling Merchant has the courtesy of waiting until he's out of sight before taking off. The Doctor is just magically rude.

Anyway, I may have a bug to report. I tend to play Terraria almost exclusively through multiplayer and I'm guessing nobody else has noticed that every time the Doctor spawns, the game says that "DEFAULT" has arrived. For example, when the Sixth Doctor spawns, it will read, "DEFAULT the Clown has arrived!"

Additionally, I don't know if this can be fixed, but every time one regenerates, their new appearance doesn't show up for the other players until they log out and back in.

And while I know that people have already criticized this, as someone who has been a member of the spriting community for over 15 years, I have to agree that 1x1 details on 2x2 sprites is bad design. As one friend put it, it's better to just simplify the designs rather than cause a clash in art styles, resulting in ugly sprites.

Great mod, by the way. As a huge Doctor Who fan who has seen it all and obsessed over it through the years, I just want to say thank you for making it.

Back
Top Bottom