tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Just allow Bree to move in If you are unable to call her (depending on the quest), you'll also need a free house for her to move in, though.
As for Sardine, you can summon him to report the quests directly from the quest log. You just need to have him selected on the tab.

I made the requests takes plenty of time before they fail and disappear. Not only to give you time to even try completting it, but also to avoid having stress.

I can remove it. Also, I was expecting not only people who plays alone to try the mod. Looks like I were wrong.
It's not that. I sent them home hoping i wouldn't get quests from them. Unless there's a benefit of maxing all the guardians friendship level, i don't see a point in keep all of them in the house.

After some long time, here's an update for you all!
Starter guardians are now free from Call level restriction.
It's now easier to get the guardian exclusive acessories from bounty quests.
The mod will now check if the guardian was met when you talk to it, if not, will add it to the list of guardians met in the world.
Mabel's body got changed.
Added compatibility to NExperience Mod's status capper, If It is turned on.
Life Drain staff health regen buff will now affect your guardian.
Reduced the fall damage distance tolerance from TerraGuardians. By default, It's now 25 (Terrarian default) blocks, instead of 35.
Guardians will no longer automatically use Life Crystals, Mana Crystals, Life Fruits and their variants.
There is now an order to tell them to make use of those.​
It is no longer guaranted that you will get food from Guardian requests.
Magic Carpet now works as a kind of vanity gear for TerraGuardians, they will be shown on their feet when either equipped, or on one of the first inventory slots.
Not only guardians can use umbrellas on their off hand, but also will receive the fall speed reduction when using it when falling.
You can no longer recruit Bree again, after you've already recruited her with your character.
Off-hand items are now scaled with the guardian.
Changed how the mod checks the sitting on mount position of the guardian.
The mod will no longer over parse guardian messages.
Zacks now needs friendship level 2 or above to be called.
This change is tied to his backstory.​
Nemesis and Alex friendship level requirement changed to 0 and above.
Is this patch note part necessary?​
Mabel gained birthday messages.
Guardians gained messages that are shown once in their dialogues depending on their friendship level. They are shown when:
Call, Mount or Control commands are possible.​
Friendship level reaches Friends, Best Friends, Best Friends Forever and Buddies For Life level.​
Only guardians you have summoned or in your world will give you requests.
Removed the "2P Press Start" text from the guardian health info.
Fixed one of the Bartender dialogues.
Alex will no longer put your character on the floor, when meeting your character on another world, while already having him recruited.
Your character will now regenerate health absurdly, includding having breath maxed when Alex is putting your character on the ground, during his initial dialogue.
New TerraGuardian is in: Domino.
Fixed a potential bug when sending your guardian to sell items, while having platinum coins in their inventory.
Added an option that allows you to test the new guardian combat AI. Turn it on if you want to help testing it. Or just out of curiosity.
The mod has gained an icon :D! But It wont be displayed on modbrowser because I don't use GitHub D:.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm starting to lose the gas to work on this project, I'll try mantaining and updating it, but the lack of ideas aren't helping anyway.

Well, this update implements a new TerraGuardian, Domino:
Domino.png
"Domino: *Running from guards is bad for business, I hope your world will let me do my business on peace.*"

Beside a possible clue of how you can recruit him, he's a wanted smuggler from the Ether Realm. His inventory right now is vague because he didn't had enough time to gather his products before running away. At first he was going to be an Arms Dealer, but there is already one in Terraria, so would be redundant to have another one, and he may end up selling some items that may be useful for TerraGuardians, or other purposes... Who knows what he may end up selling? Neither do I know.
He'll be a good sharpshooter If you manage to build trust with him and have him follow you around.

As a side note, he sells a cannon and It's ammo. Depending on the reception and feedbacks, there will be more. I'm not sure if the other cannons may end up being buyable or craftable, let's find out in the future.

Have fun :).

Edit:. By the way, the mod gained an icon, as said in the image above, but the problem is that the icon wont be shown on the mod browser because I don't use GitHub to post the mod.

That also brings back a thing I questioned myself a lot.

I wonder, It would be cool to open a GitHub to the mod, right? I mean, so even mod fans could contribute to it and keep the mod having new cool stuffs.
But I fear about how It could end up, so I keep locking the idea away.

I seriously have no idea of what to do in that matter, open or not.

Last edited:
Is it safe to simply update my mod right now ? Without losing my game progress ?
I'll definitely try out the new AI by the way.
Alex is really dangerous , whether is to others or to himself, today ater meeting him, he banged me to the ground, and then fall into the pit and die, i wonder how Irene died in the first place. ( DId i remember that name correctly? )

Is it safe to simply update my mod right now ? Without losing my game progress ?
I'll definitely try out the new AI by the way.
Alex is really dangerous , whether is to others or to himself, today ater meeting him, he banged me to the ground, and then fall into the pit and die, i wonder how Irene died in the first place. ( DId i remember that name correctly? )
Uh... You could lose game progress before?
I mean, I don't remember any gameplay breaking issue. So go ahead.

And well, Irene's death wasn't caused by glitches and bugs, I'm sure of It. Hahaha.

Uh... You could lose game progress before?
I mean, I don't remember any gameplay breaking issue. So go ahead.

And well, Irene's death wasn't caused by glitches and bugs, I'm sure of It. Hahaha.
Uh well, not your fault ,i started new anyway, downloaded a few new mods, messed up real bad, should've made backups. Silly. No matter, another day, another kill.

There is always a guardian hitbox at the player's original spawn point, if you move your mouse over it, you can even see the name, but no interactions, and can not build anything there.
And i found out if you don't recruit the guardian, then the hitbox is only there when guardian is standing there, when he moves away, it's fine, but if you recruit him, then the hitbox is persistant, last version, after i log in back again, it would be fixed, today it seemed it don't work no more. Other new-comer guardians don't have this kind of issue, because they don't spawn with you, at the same location. The most easy way here is to build your house somewhere else, so you have to worry about that, otherwise, it'll be a 2x4 block empty. Of course, you can dismiss him, then wait for him to step away, then build, then call him back again. Which is not time consuming at all.
I wonder if this can be fixed, or what caused this ?

Guardians can't use throwing weapons anymore? I gave rococo some shurikans and throwing spears from thorium mod, but he never used them, last version he does use throwing weapons even modded ones.
Does this have anything to do with the new combat AI system ? Or just restrictions for different types of guardians ? Bows and magic staffs are fine by the way.

There is always a guardian hitbox at the player's original spawn point, if you move your mouse over it, you can even see the name, but no interactions, and can not build anything there.
And i found out if you don't recruit the guardian, then the hitbox is only there when guardian is standing there, when he moves away, it's fine, but if you recruit him, then the hitbox is persistant, last version, after i log in back again, it would be fixed, today it seemed it don't work no more. Other new-comer guardians don't have this kind of issue, because they don't spawn with you, at the same location. The most easy way here is to build your house somewhere else, so you have to worry about that, otherwise, it'll be a 2x4 block empty. Of course, you can dismiss him, then wait for him to step away, then build, then call him back again. Which is not time consuming at all.
I wonder if this can be fixed, or what caused this ?
The guardian npcs are programmed to stay at their house position when the player has them summoned. The problem is that If they don't have a house, they will stay on the world spawn point.
The only way of removing the guardian from that place, would be to either not have the guardian following you and make It walk, or create a dummy house and move them inside it, while you build.

To fix this issue, I could try making so the guardian is forced to stay on the top left of the world If they don't have a house, and script them to move to the spawn point if the player don't have the guardian summoned and they're on the top left of the world.
Guardians can't use throwing weapons anymore? I gave rococo some shurikans and throwing spears from thorium mod, but he never used them, last version he does use throwing weapons even modded ones.
Does this have anything to do with the new combat AI system ? Or just restrictions for different types of guardians ? Bows and magic staffs are fine by the way.
I forgot to make them recognize throwing weapons as ranged weapons. The fix is coming next update though, but I recommend not using the new combat AI if you plan on making the guardian use thrown weapons.
@superputin

Yes, this could mean that there could be a new AI combat system.
It is, I kind of forgot that Thrown weapons existed. Sorry. :/

The guardian npcs are programmed to stay at their house position when the player has them summoned. The problem is that If they don't have a house, they will stay on the world spawn point.
The only way of removing the guardian from that place, would be to either not have the guardian following you and make It walk, or create a dummy house and move them inside it, while you build.

To fix this issue, I could try making so the guardian is forced to stay on the top left of the world If they don't have a house, and script them to move to the spawn point if the player don't have the guardian summoned and they're on the top left of the world.

I forgot to make them recognize throwing weapons as ranged weapons. The fix is coming next update though, but I recommend not using the new combat AI if you plan on making the guardian use thrown weapons.

It is, I kind of forgot that Thrown weapons existed. Sorry. :/
OK so that is because of the AI, it's not such a big deal. i'll let them use bows and arrows right now.
As for the hitbox thing, did you mean all guardians or just first one spawned with you ? Nevertheless, better not over complicate the problem, if it's no big problem, i can live with it, i was just thinking this may be a bug or something, if not, don't worry about it. Forcing them to the left side of the map seems so cold-hearted, they can stay at my house, before i build them real ones, after all thery are "guardians", just let them tag along, it's fine.

OK so that is because of the AI, it's not such a big deal. i'll let them use bows and arrows right now.
As for the hitbox thing, did you mean all guardians or just first one spawned with you ? Nevertheless, better not over complicate the problem, if it's no big problem, i can live with it, i was just thinking this may be a bug or something, if not, don't worry about it. Forcing them to the left side of the map seems so cold-hearted, they can stay at my house, before i build them real ones, after all thery are "guardians", just let them tag along, it's fine.
Don't worry, the invisible npc are like their "shell", the only problem would happen if the same thing happened when they weren't following you.

Any uptates on what's going on? Take your time, i've be playing with the new ai for some time, and i can't really tell the exact differences, any hints? Or is it some developer thing?
And another thing, can you maybe add some new way to change the equipments of those unemployed guardians ? As my journey progresses, i get new stuff, i want to change the equipments of those guardians staying at home, and i must call assistance of them, then change the items and dismiss them, when i only have one guardian following me, this is easy, then when i've already called like three guardians to my side,this becomes tidious. So i thought a new way of changing equipments for guardians would be nice, but this is nothing more than a pure imagination, i know nothing about coding and how comlicated that might be, nevertheless i might suggest that idea here, and see if you are interested, if not, ignore me, since i can always send them home to avoid this.

I'm busy right now trying to make the game more challenging when you bring more guardians with you. The only problem is that I have no idea of what kind of compensation could be given for beating such challenge. And also busy trying to make the guardians be able to sleep and use throne and benches (yep, expanding Idle AI).

Nah, I'll definitelly have to add a way of changing guardian items and equipments without calling them. It is troublesome to keep equipments of certain
guardians in chests or in the inventory, because you can't call them to give them the gear (For example, the guardians that needs certain friendship level to be called).

Hi, can you tell me how do i get blue? it comes to a campfire but when i try to talk to it, i startle her!

Sounds promising, i'll be waiting with pleasure.
I am not sure if you should make the game too hard if more guardians are following you, but if you really decide to do it anyway, it needs to be done in a neat way, or it'll lose the necessary to call guardians in the first place, like if calling guardians for help only makes enemies harder to kill, you might think "why am i calling them for ?" "This is supposed to make my life easier!" As for me, i'm a casual player, too hard or too easy are both bad, as for some players they want challenge, they want their lives to get threatened, they think that's fun.
Now, i might give some suggestions, you could at least look at it and be more creative. In this mod, the fun part is the companionship, mayhaps you should focus on this, to balance things out from this point of view, not by making mobs harder to kill, but by give guardians more personalities more personal lives, making so they could get "tired" thery get "bored" they need their casual times as well. maybe you could make guardians so they can't follow you all the time, after some time in the company, they need to rest for a day or two, like your sayings above, they can sleep in bed or something, to force them leave the party of slaughter. And even better, this way you get the chance to call upon those un-invited guardians to your aid, so all guardians can participate in the journey. Not always old faces, not-so-popular guardians need love too. By doing this, you get to train all guardians (you have to), their progress alone call make the game more must-earning, cause new guardians are quiet weak, they would need time to build up, and to aviod losing guardians in crucial parts, players would think twice about if they would bring all the guardians to their side all the time. It's not enough, you can also give them death counters, if they die too many times in a certain period of time, they get wounded, and can not be called for some time, you need to heal them using healing items, this way we must treat them more carefully like real fellas and not let them roaming around like a mindless killing machine. But this idea may be hard, cause it needs to be done with new AIs and new behaviors, the coding difficulty would be hard, and too many data reading and loading won't be nice, but my point should already be clear, not by making the game hard but to give own restrictions to the mod, and not losing the fun even adding more fun to it. Yet ideas are ideas , some may never be done, i don't know how these can happen from coding circumstances, and your personal likings as well.
I really like this mod, it gives a live aura around my character, a progress feeling, not just more DPS or more hp, it's a buddy by your side, in a world of lonely heroes, that means a lot.
By the way, after some coding, maybe you can ask around the forums and use some new spicy sprites, there are people doing this in the forums, it would make the mod more appealing to some people, and get them interested, though me personally i don't care that much, game mechanics are more important. With all that saying it's your creation no matter what. You decide.

Back
Top Bottom