tModLoader [1.4.4] TerraGuardians - Terraria Companions Mod

Sounds promising, i'll be waiting with pleasure.
I am not sure if you should make the game too hard if more guardians are following you, but if you really decide to do it anyway, it needs to be done in a neat way, or it'll lose the necessary to call guardians in the first place, like if calling guardians for help only makes enemies harder to kill, you might think "why am i calling them for ?" "This is supposed to make my life easier!" As for me, i'm a casual player, too hard or too easy are both bad, as for some players they want challenge, they want their lives to get threatened, they think that's fun.

Now, i might give some suggestions, you could at least look at it and be more creative. In this mod, the fun part is the companionship, mayhaps you should focus on this, to balance things out from this point of view, not by making mobs harder to kill, but by give guardians more personalities more personal lives, making so they could get "tired" thery get "bored" they need their casual times as well. maybe you could make guardians so they can't follow you all the time, after some time in the company, they need to rest for a day or two, like your sayings above, they can sleep in bed or something, to force them leave the party of slaughter. And even better, this way you get the chance to call upon those un-invited guardians to your aid, so all guardians can participate in the journey. Not always old faces, not-so-popular guardians need love too. By doing this, you get to train all guardians (you have to), their progress alone call make the game more must-earning, cause new guardians are quiet weak, they would need time to build up, and to aviod losing guardians in crucial parts, players would think twice about if they would bring all the guardians to their side all the time. It's not enough, you can also give them death counters, if they die too many times in a certain period of time, they get wounded, and can not be called for some time, you need to heal them using healing items, this way we must treat them more carefully like real fellas and not let them roaming around like a mindless killing machine. But this idea may be hard, cause it needs to be done with new AIs and new behaviors, the coding difficulty would be hard, and too many data reading and loading won't be nice, but my point should already be clear, not by making the game hard but to give own restrictions to the mod, and not losing the fun even adding more fun to it. Yet ideas are ideas , some may never be done, i don't know how these can happen from coding circumstances, and your personal likings as well.

I really like this mod, it gives a live aura around my character, a progress feeling, not just more DPS or more hp, it's a buddy by your side, in a world of lonely heroes, that means a lot.

By the way, after some coding, maybe you can ask around the forums and use some new spicy sprites, there are people doing this in the forums, it would make the mod more appealing to some people, and get them interested, though me personally i don't care that much, game mechanics are more important. With all that saying it's your creation no matter what. You decide.
The option of monsters getting tougher as you have more and tougher guardians is toggleable, so If you dislike the feature, you can simply turn it off.

And that idea of making so guardians doesn't aways are disponible to be called is actually great, of course It will need to be optional, but If one wants to give some rotation to the guardian usage, that's going to be great. I'll check out later If I can add that.

yeah every time i talk to her it says that i startled her and disapears, then after some time she is on the fire again.
Weird, she wasn't supposed to disappear. There is definitelly something wrong there, I'll have to check that out.

I know it's optional, i've turned it off already, yet it makes no differences to me, right now i only called blue for help, i'm focusing on training her into a badass archer.
I'm glad you like the idea, justing fooling around with other mods, it turns out if i get a invisible buff, guardians get invisible too, that's actually very surprising, i thought i ran into a glitch or something, then i realized it's because of the buff. This is fun, and convenient.

I know it's optional, i've turned it off already, yet it makes no differences to me, right now i only called blue for help, i'm focusing on training her into a badass archer.
I'm glad you like the idea, justing fooling around with other mods, it turns out if i get a invisible buff, guardians get invisible too, that's actually very surprising, i thought i ran into a glitch or something, then i realized it's because of the buff. This is fun, and convenient.
Uh... The system isn't even in the mod currently.

The guardians getting invisible as you do is actually a bug, but I can explain why It happens, It's the same thing that happens when you get the Stoned debuff.
The game avoids drawing anything that isn't necessary for the status when the player is either invisible or with stoned debuff, and since TerraGuardians are drawn alongside the player, that means they wont be drawn too.

That's actually a Terraria problem, that tModLoader brings with It.

Uh... The system isn't even in the mod currently.

The guardians getting invisible as you do is actually a bug, but I can explain why It happens, It's the same thing that happens when you get the Stoned debuff.
The game avoids drawing anything that isn't necessary for the status when the player is either invisible or with stoned debuff, and since TerraGuardians are drawn alongside the player, that means they wont be drawn too.

That's actually a Terraria problem, that tModLoader brings with It.
NO no no, Isn't there already a option in the menu? I wasn't talking about the new mechanic i was talking about the old setting.

And that's a bug? How odd, i thought it was intentional, it's still very cool though, and by "drawing", what do you mean? by data or just image?

NO no no, Isn't there already a option in the menu? I wasn't talking about the new mechanic i was talking about the old setting.

And that's a bug? How odd, i thought it was intentional, it's still very cool though, and by "drawing", what do you mean? by data or just image?
Oh, my bad.

And by drawing, I mean the codes that handles character drawing codes, like body parts and etc. When the character has the Stoned or Invisible buffs, those codes are skipped by the game.

yeah every time i talk to her it says that i startled her and disapears, then after some time she is on the fire again.
Uh oh, I found out that It's actually a bug related to Domino.
During the creation of Domino's town npc, I ended up causing a confusion between Blue and Domino npc characters. I managed to fix most of those problems, but forgot to fix that one of Blue's bonfire npc.

Looks like I'll have to release an update soon with the fix to that issue (even more since It makes Domino recruitable easier). If you still want to get Blue, she's one of the possible starter guardians you can get, just keep creating worlds until you see her. And don't feel bad for doing so, at least you talked to her :).

Quick question, can i still get contract form sardine if i call him in my party,? cause though looked upon it, i haven't done a single contract yet, too busying fishing in the ocean.

And, you sure you don't want to change the year to 2020 on that front page? Might mislead some people.

Last edited:
Quick question, can i still get contract form sardine if i call him in my party,? cause though looked upon it, i haven't done a single contract yet, too busying fishing in the ocean.

And, you sure you don't want to change the year to 2020 on that front page? Might mislead some people.
Request, and yes. The way of getting their requests is by either having them living on your world, or following your character.

And woah! That change log date thing is one epic fail I did. The year changed, but not on the change logs.
Fixed that, though. Funny that I didn't even noticed that haha.

Sorry for asking it wrong, the "bounty-hunt" thing, that is. you need to put a sign in sardine's house to activate it, that's my question, my bad for the faulty information. the word "contract" is from thorium mod, i was probably getting confused.
I've done tons of requests by the way, so that i know pretty well. And since i'm on this topic, why guardians always want "bozoar", how do you spell that? i forgot, sometimes three requests are all about this thing, why ? what for? they really hate poison? they are very into undigested stuff? And it's so hard to get, 1% or 2% of drop rate, are you kidding me ? Man!
But that's a minor issue, can't even be qualified as a issue, really, the real problem is when several guardians want me to kill eye of cthulhu, after i killed the thing, only one request would be completed, the other one is a no-no, i even killed it for a few more times just to test, and still no, can't even be completed even after the other one request is already done, this looks buggy to me, If it's a mere coincidence, i'll be surprised.

Just had a birthday party for blue, gave her the present, funny really, considering she is the one having the birthday party, she still give back so many wooden crates and herb bags. these guardians, they are rich, they receive little, and give out much much more. every time i get things from them, i wish it would be a heart crystal, so i can increase their hp, but they are so selfless, they concern others more than they do themselves. haha just kidding. Really intresting if you think about it.

1. Sorry for asking it wrong, the "bounty-hunt" thing, that is. you need to put a sign in sardine's house to activate it, that's my question, my bad for the faulty information. the word "contract" is from thorium mod, i was probably getting confused.
  2. I've done tons of requests by the way, so that i know pretty well. And since i'm on this topic, why guardians always want "bozoar", how do you spell that? i forgot, sometimes three requests are all about this thing, why ? what for? they really hate poison? they are very into undigested stuff? And it's so hard to get, 1% or 2% of drop rate, are you kidding me ? Man!
  3. But that's a minor issue, can't even be qualified as a issue, really, the real problem is when several guardians want me to kill eye of cthulhu, after i killed the thing, only one request would be completed, the other one is a no-no, i even killed it for a few more times just to test, and still no, can't even be completed even after the other one request is already done, this looks buggy to me, If it's a mere coincidence, i'll be surprised.
Oh boy, answering this will be interesting.
  1. Sardine's Bounty Quests will still appear and disappear even if you have Sardine following you, don't worry. To report a bounty, simply right click the sign, as he'll tell you after you kill the target.
  2. Look, to answer the question as to why guardians sometimes wants a Bezoar, I would have to enter in the topic as to why the guardians needs you to do things for them. And you can already see how frustrating that is. Anyway, the requests themselves have a "value" on them, which is not related to item price or something, but will impact on the rewards you can get. Due to items like Bezoar being hard to get, the reward will be most likelly good.
  3. Another player reported the same issue, but was related to event quests. I'll have to investigate what is happening to make so such requests don't complete.
Just had a birthday party for blue, gave her the present, funny really, considering she is the one having the birthday party, she still give back so many wooden crates and herb bags. these guardians, they are rich, they receive little, and give out much much more. every time i get things from them, i wish it would be a heart crystal, so i can increase their hp, but they are so selfless, they concern others more than they do themselves. haha just kidding. Really intresting if you think about it.
Actually, isn't really the fact that the guardians are rich or something. The fact is that I'm really bad at picking what to give as reward for your effort.
At least the items are more useful than making coin rain around her when opening the present.

OK, i get it, so there is a reason, many hornets are going to fall now, let the killing commence.

The give-away thing about guardians is no problem, i was just being unnecessarily talkative, crates are excellent choice, espeacially they come with different varieties, way better than some coins or simple weapons.

Catched a new bug, with a guardian bug net, then i looked upon the tooltip, it says "when picking up heart dropped from enemies, only one guardian(First and major guardian) can receive the effect of health replenishing, the other one can not", now is this bug real? Or you put it in the game to make the game balanced? I doubt it.
Another irrelevant question by me, how do you feel about getting feed by new bugs everyday? Delicious or disgusting? Seriously, i always wonder how mod creators feel when they hear about new issues and problems.

Catched a new bug, with a guardian bug net, then i looked upon the tooltip, it says "when picking up heart dropped from enemies, only one guardian(First and major guardian) can receive the effect of health replenishing, the other one can not", now is this bug real? Or you put it in the game to make the game balanced? I doubt it.
Another irrelevant question by me, how do you feel about getting feed by new bugs everyday? Delicious or disgusting? Seriously, i always wonder how mod creators feel when they hear about new issues and problems.
That is a bug. All guardians should benefit from health and mana replenishing items, and so should happen when a companion guardian gets a heart/mana item.

Well'p, mod development isn't supposed to be easy, even more since It wouldn't be fun if was. Bug bashing is like the random encounters on rpg, somewhat. Killing them gives experience. :3

New update is out, and I'm sure some people may have missed the huge patch notes.
You will no longer "recruit" Domino again if you've met him. Now there are faster dialogues to change him to town npcs, be it by talking to him directly, or even if you have Brutus summoned and he spots Domino.
The mod will no longer add the guardian to your guardian list on the wrong moment.
Guardians now knows when to use Thrown weapons.
Blue will no longer have her arms flying, when trying to hug the bunny when sitting on a bench, or sleeping.
Possibly fixed a potential crash that could happen to TerraGuardians, when getting out of bounds at death.
Changed the message displayed when the guardian leaves the world (Be it with or without the guardian summoned).
I could place here the reason why I changed that, but I don't want to make you feel guilty.​
Zacks can now spawn during normal nights, If you have him recruited, but not in the world, or summoned.
Domino now disappear in clouds when you refuse to let him move in to your world.
Guardians will now try to better find closest furnitures to use.
Off hand items will now be correctly placed on Alex's mouth, now.
Sardine, Zacks, Alex, Brutus, Bree and Mabel gained their throne/bench sitting and bed sleeping animations.
Guardians will now correctly use party hats when a party is happening, and they have no other hat in the head.
You can now manage the inventory and equipments of guardians you don't have summoned. There is a button that allows that on the guardian selection window.
Monsters can now spawn with stronger modifiers based on the number of guardians following you.
Guardians that no longer minds your character being afk, will no longer remain passive to nearby monsters, when your character is afk.
Not only increased the chance of clues about how to find TerraGuardians be said by the Dryad, but also changed the way they are randomized.
The Boomstick now shots more bullets when the guardian fires it.
Talking to Blue's camping version will now make her appear, instead of Domino.
Fixed the arm placement on Mabel on a number of sprites.
Guardians will no longer display their hats and wings when sitting on a throne, or sleeping on beds, if they have the respective animations.
Changed the way health and mana replenishing pickup effects are shared with the guardians.
The mounted damage reduction will only reduce damage received by the guardians only when the player is mounted, or is mounting on the player.
The mod will now correctly count kills towards the request progress, if you have the guardian summoned, no matter what place Is it.
Changed the default dart that is launched from Dart Pistols and Dart Rifles, because the old darts could kill the user friends.
Fixed the script of adding items to guardian inventory hanging, causing freezes.
Added Mabel's hat positioning.
So many system changes, and a good number of fixes. Also, now you have the chance of turning the mod into an open raid just by the flip of a switch.
Talking about switch, the options got split into 2 types, client and server. Check both, to see if the options are set correctly, since some of the mod options were moved to the server options.

Enjoy. :D

Question time, as always, what is "+3 max spawn", is it the max number of mobs or they spawn alot faster? Or even both? Must ask this out, and another one, does the status change applies to bosses as well? Including their summons, this is very crucial to gameplay, so i'd better figure it out clearly.

The +3 is for the max monster spawn only. Each guardian other than the main guardian increases the max spawn by 3. Just remember how It worked before this update came out.
Well... The status change applies to bosses aswell. The thing is, I didn't programmed a specific system to make them spawn tougher, so If the boss spawns naturally, there is a chance that It may come with the status change, like was the case of Betsy on my gameplay, where she spawned with 2 gems, and I barelly were able to take her health to half the bar. (Of course I'll have to fix that)

Just played for a while, yeah that status change applies to everything, even critters may have a gem on top of their heads. While it might be imba for bosses to have modifiers, according to your description, it also would be fun(painfully), of course. I don't know if you should "fix" it, since it's not a bug, shame terraria is not a rpg game, otherwise i would get tons of exp from modified bosses, and better loot, so whatever, guess you need to do something about it, right now i'll have some fun at least.

Hey Nakako Can You Plz Pick A Video Of How To Order A Guardian To Make Him Take A Potion 😅

EDIT: Does The Bosses Don't Follow The Guardians Anymore? :v

Hey Nakako Can You Plz Pick A Video Of How To Order A Guardian To Make Him Take A Potion 😅

EDIT: Does The Bosses Don't Follow The Guardians Anymore? :v
It's Nakano.
Order a guardian to take a potion?
If you mean giving an order to the guardian use a Health Potion, you must do so on the order hud. If you don't know how to call it, check the control options and see which key is set for the order hud. If there is no key set, set to a key of easy access, then hold that key in the game to open the order hud.
If you mean making the guardian automatically use potions, just place potions in their inventory, they will use when hurt.

I didn't changed the way npcs chases players and guardians, so they will attack the one that has highest aggro (Nearest Distance + Aggro).

It's Nakano.
Order a guardian to take a potion?
If you mean giving an order to the guardian use a Health Potion, you must do so on the order hud. If you don't know how to call it, check the control options and see which key is set for the order hud. If there is no key set, set to a key of easy access, then hold that key in the game to open the order hud.
If you mean making the guardian automatically use potions, just place potions in their inventory, they will use when hurt.

I didn't changed the way npcs chases players and guardians, so they will attack the one that has highest aggro (Nearest Distance + Aggro).
Oh, So In That Way I Can Make Them To Take Potions Too Like Gills Potions,Archer, etc...?

EDIT: Does The Mod Has A Discord Server?

Back
Top Bottom