Journey's End Vanity Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixing it now, sorry.
People who don't follow the rules are just so frustrating.

I agree. I observed lots of people here just put unwanted buffs, weapons, wings, drop origins, special effects, etc. with their work, not realizing they're are just making it easier for the devs to reject their entry.

Read the rules! Good luck on your works!

I have a question for the Terraria devs. I submitted my artwork not too long ago but seeing as we're at the halfway point I don't even know if my artwork will even be viewed by any of the devs, much less selected. Can I guarantee that everyone's artwork will at least be looked at?

Edit: Of course then there are the people that didn't follow the rules, I figured those people would be weeded out. But even then there is still a HUGE number of people who actually did follow the rules. I just wanted to know whether or not most of everybody would at least have a chance of being picked.

Last edited:
I have a question for the Terraria devs. I submitted my artwork not too long ago but seeing as we're at the halfway point I don't even know if my artwork will even be viewed by any of the devs, much less selected. Can I guarantee that everyone's artwork will at least be looked at?

Edit: Of course then there are the people that didn't follow the rules, I figured those people would be weeded out. But even then there is still a HUGE number of people who actually did follow the rules. I just wanted to know whether or not most of everybody would at least have a chance of being picked.
We can garuntee guarantee that every submission will be looked at.

I agree. I observed lots of people here just put unwanted buffs, weapons, wings, drop origins, special effects, etc. with their work, not realizing they're are just making it easier for the devs to reject their entry.

Read the rules! Good luck on your works!
Well by the special effect you mean that it changes colour or sprite based in what biome they are, right? Those would be totaly understandable, if that's about armor effects like producing particles like Shadow armor and sounds like Necro armor that already exist is not in my opinion bad but is confirmed that you shouldn't relly on that, but I mentioned it so people would know how it would look like when you are wearing it in the game, nothing more. I builded my entry submission sprite based that you could wear it with everything, be unique to other vanity items and it still could be possible to be implemented without any or large problems with already existing coding. Not so impressed by people but what can I do? Nothing, I did a fine entry.

Well you can look at my entry if you want : Journey's End Vanity Contest Submission Thread

(Yeahh I know likes doesn't matter...)

Well by the special effect you mean that it changes colour or sprite based in what biome they are, right? Those would be totaly understandable, if that's about armor effects like producing particles like Shadow armor and sounds like Necro armor that already exist is not in my opinion bad but is confirmed that you shouldn't relly on that, but I mentioned it so people would know how it would look like when you are wearing it in the game, nothing more. I builded my entry submission sprite based that you could wear it with everything, be unique to other vanity items and it still could be possible to be implemented without any or large problems with already existing coding. Not so impressed by people but what can I do? Nothing, I did a fine entry.

Well you can look at my entry if you want : Journey's End Vanity Contest Submission Thread

(Yeahh I know likes doesn't matter...)

I might be wrong but I thinks so. I think the game devs designed the contest that the winning vanity sets would simply just add sprites into the game without doing more programming codes that will handle the additional special effect. I think that also includes walking or jumping trail animations, special moves, unique buffs and stats.

There will be thousands of submitted entries by the end of the contest deadline and I think the quickest way for the devs to narrow down the entries into fewer and more manageable numbers for judging will be to weed out the non-compliant entries regardless of the design (still, i could be wrong!). My advise, PLAY SAFE!

Also, I saw your entry... good work with the skull! I like it! Also looks great if he lives in a marble/granite house.

Well by the special effect you mean that it changes colour or sprite based in what biome they are, right?
For real though why are there so many biome-changing vanity sets?? There is nothing like that in the game now right? I feel like it's a little out of nowhere that people think this can be fixed easily, as far as I know they only are accepting glowmask and small particle trails.

For real though why are there so many biome-changing vanity sets?? There is nothing like that in the game now right? I feel like it's a little out of nowhere that people think this can be fixed easily, as far as I know they only are accepting glowmask and small particle trails.
Yeahh in vanila there isn't anything like this unless you count Moon Charm, ... and their combined accessories, but that one change you whole for a purpose.
Maybe change colour based in what biome you are could be more possible, like making the parts white without changing a shape and then code it but there isn't even a single vanity item or armor that does that. So...

There is Arkhali's set that have changeable part based on your Shirt's colour, it would't be bad to have another set like this one.

Greetings Terrarians!

The development team at Re-Logic were having a chat the other day about just how creative the Terraria community is - from art to music to in-game creations, you all are simply amazing. That got us to thinking... what better way to reward that creativity in the final Journey's End update than to give all of you creative geniuses a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get your very own vanity armor design into the game itself?

That's right - we are giving everyone a chance to submit their own original ideas for Terraria Vanity Armor/Outfits (Head/Torso/Legs), and the winners will see their ideas make it into the game for the Journey's End update! This is your chance to design your own brand new vanity outfit that you'd like to see added to the game! This is sort of like finding that golden ticket and getting to visit the chocolate factory, except there is no tour and no lifetime supply of chocolate... only fame and glory and bragging rights forever listed in one of the best video games ever crafted.

As you might imagine, there are some rules and guidelines and such that are important for you to follow - however, inside of these guidelines, have at it! Anything your minds can dream up, we want to hear about it!

You can also check out the Contest Submission Thread to see current submissions!
Please note! ALL SUBMISSIONS must be posted in the submission thread! If they are only posted in this thread, they will not be considered valid!

index.php

GUIDELINES & RULES
WHAT IS ALLOWED/NOT ALLOWED?
  • Only one submission per person! If you make multiple submissions, we will select the first submission made, and the latter ones will be disqualified.
  • All Vanity entries must be the original work of the person submitting the idea - no stealing! (yes, we will look -_-)
  • Sprites from Terraria mods *ARE* allowed but only if you are the original creator of that artwork (this means the actual artist, not just anyone that happened to work on a given mod)
  • Direct lifts/overt references to other games/movies/tv shows/etc. are quite likely to be rejected (if we have to ask permission to use it, don't submit it ;) )
  • Please keep it PG-13 - nothing profane/offensive/etc. please
  • If you are looking for more guidance and next-level design tips, check out this link > Terraria Vanity Contest Best Practices & Design Tips

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY ENTRY?
  • Entries should consist of a design that includes Head/Torso/Leg (aligned to those vanity armor slots in the game). We will not be including wings/dyes/weapons/etc. Sorry.
  • All entries must include artwork of some kind. This could mean anything from super-fancy hand drawn art to MS Paint-level scribbles. However, the art - and any accompanying descriptions - need to be able to clearly communicate the idea. If we have to struggle to understand the concept, it will hurt your chances of winning... and trying to guess art from just text is going to give all of us headaches.
  • If you have a name for your creation, please provide it.
  • Entries should be submitted by posting in the contest submission thread! Entries MUST be posted in the submission thread to be considered valid submissions! If you want to discuss the contest or specific entries, feel free to do so in this thread, Discord, etc.
  • All entries must be submitted by 11:59pm Eastern Time on April 13th, 2020 - NO EXCEPTIONS! :)

HOW WILL THE WINNERS BE SELECTED?
  • The Re-Logic team will select a list of finalists from all of the entries that are submitted by 11:59pm Eastern on April 13, 2020. If this thread is locked, you are too late!
  • We will reveal the finalists on the Weekly Stream later that week (April 17th) , and then we will post them here after the stream.
  • These finalists will be submitted for a community vote across all of our community platforms (TCF, Social Media, Discord, etc) - voting will commence after the reveal steam and conclude in one week, on April 24th. Voting instructions will be provided at that time.
  • There will be no more than three (3) winning entries.

HECK YEAH, I WON! NOW WHAT?
  • Re-Logic will directly contact the winners so that we can begin the process of adding your design into the game.
  • Please note that some creative license in regards to the interpretation on behalf of our artists is expected - so be flexible. (don't worry, we will make it amazing)
  • Re-Logic will have the final say on approval for the winning designs (actual art and text going in-game)
  • The winner's name will be included in some way in the tooltip and/or naming for the item, so that you can always pull it up in game to brag to your buddies. :cool:
  • Once we arrive on a final design, just wait for the day when Journey's End arrives and you can run around in your very own vanity creation!

LEGAL STUFF
  • By participating in the contest, you agree to relinquish all rights to your vanity design to Re-Logic for inclusion into the game. Winners will be required to sign a document to that effect.
  • If you are under the legal age to sign legal documents in your country (eg. Under 18 in most countries), you will need your parent or guardian to sign as well - so be sure to get that permission in advance! :)

index.php
How do your sprites work when moving from left to right? (Does it just flip the sprite? or does it require 2 separate sprites when changing directions from left to right?) [Ex. If you have an eye patch on your character's left eye, will it stay on the character's left eye when changing their looking direction? or does the sprite just flip, and the eye patch is all of the sudden on the character's right eye when looking in one direction... If you understand what I'm talking about ._. The only reason why I am bringing this up, is because my sprite idea is a suit that specifically needs certain colors/details on the correct side of the body]

ADVANCED SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

There are some limitations to Terraria's equipment system, as well as some features that not everyone is aware of. So to help provide a little extra insight into what is possible and available to you, as well as some restrictions, check out the details below!

- "Head" slots can be anywhere from a helmet, to a hat, to simple head accessories, like glasses or hairpins. Whether or not your character's hair will shown will depend on how much of their head is covered by the idea. A helmet or mask which fully encloses the head will not show hair at all. A hat or similar things like a crown may show some hair, but it will be cropped so as to not stick out of the sides of the hat. Smaller head accessories like glasses or hairpins can show the entirety of the players hair, assuming it looks correct. If you have a specific preference for the quantity of hair to be displayed, we can attempt to design it in such a way to work around that, but only within reason, so take that into consideration with your design!

- Most head slot armor and accessories occupy a single "head" slot in the character's display. As a result, the majority of head accessories cannot be combined with helmets; for example, you cannot see Nature's Gift (a head based accessory) when you are wearing a helmet. There are a handful of exceptions to this, but these are exceptions and as a general rule, you can't double-stack multiple pieces of headwear and have them both display. So if your design is intended to include a pre-existing accessory, or if you want two different elements (such as a Blindfold and a Hat at the same time), work that into your design as a "single" piece of headwear. You wouldn't be able to wear the Blindfold with the Hat later if you do not.

- Robe/Dress type torso slot items in the game sometimes cover part or all of the legs as well. If your proposal is reliant on such a design, a piece of clothing that covers the full lower body, that is equipped via the torso slot, that is okay. You could still include (or choose not to include) a leg slot item. Some items, such as Robes, will cover up the entire leg portion, so it would be invisible. Some skirt type and longcoat outfits such as the Red Riding set or the Rain Coat set have portions which extend to the legs, but the feet and legs themselves are still visible. Not every set needs a leg-piece to be complete, even some dev sets don't use them!

- Glowmasks (not to be confused with creating light!) are an option for use in your design. Glowmask are when a portion of an outfit displays as completely or partially bright, even in darkness. For an example of this, try equipping the Vortex or Dark Artist sets in vanity slots in a dark room. Vanity outfits aren't intended to actually generate light, so we won't be able to include light generation, but having some details or glowing lines in your outfit may be acceptable!

Any questions in a similar vein that arise, I'll add them to this post to help clarify things further!
Just to be sure, in summary, we are making concept arts? (because it doesn't necessarily need to be pixel art form or to-scale with the actual in game sprite)

I have a question, is it possible to have a vanity suit bonus thing where if the player were to wear all parts of the vanity set, the player will have some sort of special effect, like an aura/flame effect or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
can you also submit something that will only exist in one slot?

I have a question, is it possible to have a vanity suit bonus thing where if the player were to wear all parts of the vanity set, the player will have some sort of special effect, like an aura/flame effect or something?
they litteraly just answered that question
I wouldn't build your submission around such an effect, no. Its possible we can discuss it and add a pre-existing effect during the creation process, but its safer to err on the side of caution and not build around it.

my entry is an odd one but its kind of fun and i like it.
(hopefully, probably not) if possible when worn as normal armor you become an enemy of a biome when you enter it like space you would be a wyvern. however you would get a debuff to your weapons.
(a more legal entry) its an vanity set that will change to a critter of the biome. if no critters are in this biome you become an iconic bunny. not shaped like a human just barrow the sprite.

Doubt it. Even your "legal" entry got too many contest violations.

Just to be sure, in summary, we are making concept arts? (because it doesn't necessarily need to be pixel art form or to-scale with the actual in game sprite)

Correct. Do not assume any entry has to be "final art" - as you will see in the entry thread, its a wide range from pixel art to hand-drawn to stick figure mspaint concepts. ;)

How do your sprites work when moving from left to right? (Does it just flip the sprite? or does it require 2 separate sprites when changing directions from left to right?) [Ex. If you have an eye patch on your character's left eye, will it stay on the character's left eye when changing their looking direction? or does the sprite just flip, and the eye patch is all of the sudden on the character's right eye when looking in one direction... If you understand what I'm talking about ._. The only reason why I am bringing this up, is because my sprite idea is a suit that specifically needs certain colors/details on the correct side of the body]

I think I will defer that one to @Leinfors - do you know?

Really the "biome changing effects" seems more like something that should be implemented via dye rather than as part of a vanity set. I'm surprised it doesn't already exist. Biome hair dye has been with us for years after all.

"JackCopperZ Costume" set
or You can call it
"The Stickman Costume"
-------------
I know this is just a stickman but..
Here is my submission XDDDDDD
---------------
JackCopperZ is a black stickman from Sickman Vs Terraria Bosses Series on JzBoy's YouTube channel

View attachment 239270
by JzBoy
I hope this vanity item wins i really love watching Jzboy he's probably my favorite youtuber so seeing this vanity item in terraria would be so awesome

I think you should add a karate set that you get from Bone Lee and the head piece is a headband and the rest is just a normal karate suit thing.

This is my submission, yes the crown is floating and yes I am willing to change the crown's design. It's supposed to be black armor, blue cape, gold pins and all that, green spots are moss I'd like the armor to look tarnished and ancient in a way, but if any of you have better ideas, I will consider themView attachment 250113 No specific name yet, open to ideas.
Ancient eyes armour

ADVANCED SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

There are some limitations to Terraria's equipment system, as well as some features that not everyone is aware of. So to help provide a little extra insight into what is possible and available to you, as well as some restrictions, check out the details below!

- "Head" slots can be anywhere from a helmet, to a hat, to simple head accessories, like glasses or hairpins. Whether or not your character's hair will shown will depend on how much of their head is covered by the idea. A helmet or mask which fully encloses the head will not show hair at all. A hat or similar things like a crown may show some hair, but it will be cropped so as to not stick out of the sides of the hat. Smaller head accessories like glasses or hairpins can show the entirety of the players hair, assuming it looks correct. If you have a specific preference for the quantity of hair to be displayed, we can attempt to design it in such a way to work around that, but only within reason, so take that into consideration with your design!

- Most head slot armor and accessories occupy a single "head" slot in the character's display. As a result, the majority of head accessories cannot be combined with helmets; for example, you cannot see Nature's Gift (a head based accessory) when you are wearing a helmet. There are a handful of exceptions to this, but these are exceptions and as a general rule, you can't double-stack multiple pieces of headwear and have them both display. So if your design is intended to include a pre-existing accessory, or if you want two different elements (such as a Blindfold and a Hat at the same time), work that into your design as a "single" piece of headwear. You wouldn't be able to wear the Blindfold with the Hat later if you do not.

- Robe/Dress type torso slot items in the game sometimes cover part or all of the legs as well. If your proposal is reliant on such a design, a piece of clothing that covers the full lower body, that is equipped via the torso slot, that is okay. You could still include (or choose not to include) a leg slot item. Some items, such as Robes, will cover up the entire leg portion, so it would be invisible. Some skirt type and longcoat outfits such as the Red Riding set or the Rain Coat set have portions which extend to the legs, but the feet and legs themselves are still visible. Not every set needs a leg-piece to be complete, even some dev sets don't use them!

- Glowmasks (not to be confused with creating light!) are an option for use in your design. Glowmask are when a portion of an outfit displays as completely or partially bright, even in darkness. For an example of this, try equipping the Vortex or Dark Artist sets in vanity slots in a dark room. Vanity outfits aren't intended to actually generate light, so we won't be able to include light generation, but having some details or glowing lines in your outfit may be acceptable!

Any questions in a similar vein that arise, I'll add them to this post to help clarify things further!
Can we have multiple works of art (all in one post) posted in the submission feed, as long as all of said "works of art" follow the same design/suit/vanity concept?

Also, If I made sprites for an oc (original character) for a game that I was working on, can I post a video link showing all the sprites working in order of the player's inputs? (Ex. running, jumping, falling, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom