tModLoader Better Night Sky

Should the moon showcase the dark side or known side of the moon?

• Known side (The one you would see in real life)

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Dark side (The other side you would not see)

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
can you make the sun bigger and look good? like the moon.
also(if you can) I would recommend putting a pixel sun/moon clouds and the current one (realistic) in the config for the people that like either or for lag?, idk anything about coding but of course if its possible, GL :p

edit: well nvm ppl that want a pixelated sun/moon will stick with vanilla :D

I have a suggestion which might have been said before

1. Pixelated Celestial objects
I looked at the moon and other celestial objects in the mod but I though "Hey! What if they were pixelated like the vanilla moon!". I feel like it would make more sense bc the game is pixelated and making the night sky objects not pixelated makes it look out of place.

2. Terraria overhaul compatibility
When I went to sleep in terraria, I saw that everything just jutted out towards the foreground and the galaxies and nebula had a huge outline filled in with black and it looked... weird. Maybe make it so it doesn't jut out.

Thank you for reading this far and have a nice day:happy:

I would love a way to configure the mod to use the old moon textures instead if possible. Or a smaller version of the current moon. It's so big it can be a bit distracting at night. I love the starry nights now though!

I've recently started using your mod, and I cannot stress enough how much I loved the new and improved night sky, so much that I've actually made a space base to see it more often =D

Two questions, though:
- What are the variations of the moon? You mentioned working on something for the ringed moon. What does it looks like?
- Do you have any plan for the sun/eclipse/monoliths?

I'm having some problems and it causes a crash for me when I sometimes reload.
Hmm.. the log doesn't show me anything that crashes. Try running Better Night Sky on its own and let me know what happens.

I have a suggestion which might have been said before

1. Pixelated Celestial objects
I looked at the moon and other celestial objects in the mod but I though "Hey! What if they were pixelated like the vanilla moon!". I feel like it would make more sense bc the game is pixelated and making the night sky objects not pixelated makes it look out of place.

2. Terraria overhaul compatibility
When I went to sleep in terraria, I saw that everything just jutted out towards the foreground and the galaxies and nebula had a huge outline filled in with black and it looked... weird. Maybe make it so it doesn't jut out.

Thank you for reading this far and have a nice day:happy:
Making all the celestial objects pixelated might actually make things look worse. I'll experiment with it and find out.
I also unfortunately don't know much about overhaul or how it works, so I'm unsure if I'll fix it. Thanks for letting me know about the issue though.

I would love a way to configure the mod to use the old moon textures instead if possible. Or a smaller version of the current moon. It's so big it can be a bit distracting at night. I love the starry nights now though!
I agree. You'll have this feature soon.

I've recently started using your mod, and I cannot stress enough how much I loved the new and improved night sky, so much that I've actually made a space base to see it more often =D

Two questions, though:
- What are the variations of the moon? You mentioned working on something for the ringed moon. What does it looks like?
- Do you have any plan for the sun/eclipse/monoliths?
There's currently only one moon variation in better night sky which is the one you always see. Vanilla terraria has three moon variations (white, brown and green planet). I was working on a green planet sprite but it's turning out to be a little more difficult than I expected so that'll take a bit more to fix. Think saturn but smaller and greener :p.
I'm not sure if I'll do anything for the sun, since the mod is well, better **night** sky. Again, if people really want this feature I don't see any issue with adding it but I can't guarantee great results since daytime skies in Terraria are a little more difficult to work with than nighttime. Eclipse might get a new sprite, but I'll leave monoliths alone since their skies are already pretty well detailed.

The upcoming update is focused on adding configuration and turning this mod into a clientsided mod, meaning that you can install it and join any server without needing the server to install it as well.

Hmm.. the log doesn't show me anything that crashes. Try running Better Night Sky on its own and let me know what happens.

Making all the celestial objects pixelated might actually make things look worse. I'll experiment with it and find out.
I also unfortunately don't know much about overhaul or how it works, so I'm unsure if I'll fix it. Thanks for letting me know about the issue though.

I agree. You'll have this feature soon.

There's currently only one moon variation in better night sky which is the one you always see. Vanilla terraria has three moon variations (white, brown and green planet). I was working on a green planet sprite but it's turning out to be a little more difficult than I expected so that'll take a bit more to fix. Think saturn but smaller and greener :p.
I'm not sure if I'll do anything for the sun, since the mod is well, better **night** sky. Again, if people really want this feature I don't see any issue with adding it but I can't guarantee great results since daytime skies in Terraria are a little more difficult to work with than nighttime. Eclipse might get a new sprite, but I'll leave monoliths alone since their skies are already pretty well detailed.

The upcoming update is focused on adding configuration and turning this mod into a clientsided mod, meaning that you can install it and join any server without needing the server to install it as well.
Thank you! I was thinking like a toggle for those who love a realistic night time view. I honestly find it strange because the rest of the world is still pixels but everyone can like whatever they want unless it’s weird, illegal, or both.

The mod seems very unstable atm, here's a crash report I've gotten Gyazo I thought it was a conflict with other mods but even on it's own it crashes alot

I've released Better Night Sky version 1.5.0. It's on the mod browser and you can grab it right now! This update overhauled the entire mod, and I rewrote it from the ground-up to be more stable than before, along with other nice features.
This update:
- Adds dynamic movement to the sky to make it more realistic, ensuring that each night you get a different view
- Bug fixes and more stability
- 3 configuration options (Moon size, toggle moon, toggle vanilla / better night sky moon). There will be more configs added in future updates
- Make the mod clientsided, meaning that you can install the mod and play on any tML server without your friends needing to install it too

Report any bugs or crashes you find, and feel free to offer feedback. Again, the mod is available on the mod browser, the mirror and the discord server.

(P.S: I'm much more active on the discord than on the forums)

I left a bug report on the Github page before seeing your requested locations. Figured I should mention it here, just in case. Basically, it won't load for me. Here's the message in the log:

System.InvalidProgramException: Invalid IL code in (wrapper dynamic-method) Terraria.Main:DMDTerraria.Main::DoDraw (Terraria.Main,Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameTime): IL_3736: mul
It gave me this even when no other mods were loaded.

Here's the entire crash report:
BetterNightSky Crash - Pastebin.com

I cannot get the moon to appear no matter what I do in the mods settings, if it isn't a bug can you tell me how to fix it?
The images below are of different points in the same day.

Attachments

• 2021-03-06 (1).png
    2021-03-06 (1).png
    899.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 2021-03-06 (2).png
    2021-03-06 (2).png
    927.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 2021-03-06.png
    2021-03-06.png
    900 KB · Views: 116
Back
Top Bottom