tModLoader Player Location Saving

Garretonzo

Terrarian
icon.png

Continue your adventure! Log in where you left off!

Have you ever wished you could continue your adventure exactly where you last logged out at instead of starting all the way back at your spawn?
Then this mod is for YOU!

About
Player Location Saving is a simple mod that saves player location on logout, and automatically teleports players to their saved location when logging back in.

Compatibility
Player Location Saving is compatible with all types of mods.
It works on both singleplayer and multiplayer worlds/servers.
Both the official tModLoader and the 64-bit version can be used.

Details
The only thing this mod does is trigger a teleport for the player upon entering the world if they have a record of a previous location in their custom save data.
New characters will spawn at the default spawn location. Any character in a new world will spawn at the default spawn location.
I personally run a server with mods ranging from the very popular, large/overhaul mods to tiny, lesser-known mods and have experienced no conflicts with this mod.
Currently, the mod saves the player position data when the player chooses Save and Exit through the in-game menu.

A bit of background
I was surprised to learn that player location is reset each time you exit/enter a world. To me, this should never have been a "feature" of the base game.
Log out and get teleported back outside of the cave you are currently in the middle of spelunking?! No thanks!!

I am still rather new to this game and community, yet it wasn't hard to see that you guys are quite awesome so I wanted to share with you something I created.

Thanks
Hope you enjoy. Feedback, suggestions and questions are all welcome!
Thank you for reading and trying out my first mod if you do.

Icon credit: BeepSheep

DOWNLOAD
Prior to Journey's End: You can download this mod from the in-game Mod Browser, the Mirror, or Github
Journey's End: You can download this mod from the in-game Mod Browser, or the Steam Workshop

Last edited:
Extremely glad you made this mod. I've had no issues regarding it so far, BUT i had one strange occurrence where when i was testing this mod. Basically, i made a new world (XL), logged out standing on top of a pot next to spawn and logged back in, just to test the mod. Upon doing so, it spawned a glade wraith after putting me back in my previous position and making a "thump" sound as if something broke, the glade wraith kept spawning over and over until the server was restarted. Any idea how this could have happened? Thanks!
Also, idea! I'm glad you made this as an almost standalone from the terraria overhaul, but i was wondering if you could do something in the near future, my idea is fire spreading or trees falling having animations, like in the terraria overhaul, but without the overhaul being needed. My main reasons for this mainly revolve around instability with the terraria overhaul in general, but i LOVED those features outside logging in in previous position. Thanks!

i had one strange occurrence where when i was testing this mod. Basically, i made a new world (XL), logged out standing on top of a pot next to spawn and logged back in, just to test the mod. Upon doing so, it spawned a glade wraith after putting me back in my previous position and making a "thump" sound as if something broke, the glade wraith kept spawning over and over until the server was restarted. Any idea how this could have happened? Thanks!
This one beats me without more info. Sounds like you are also using the Spirit Mod? Amazing mod! Big fan of it myself. I've been using that on my server too, but haven't seen anything like this happen... yet? I don't see how this could be the cause of Player Location Saving though, as the only thing my mod does is invoke a teleport on the player, a single time, after they are done entering the world. I'll keep an eye out for odd behavior like this. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, idea! I'm glad you made this as an almost standalone from the terraria overhaul, but i was wondering if you could do something in the near future, my idea is fire spreading or trees falling having animations, like in the terraria overhaul, but without the overhaul being needed.
This is a neat idea - I'd like to see more mod developers offer standalone features rather than all-in-one packages where you are stuck with the good and the bad. Following that practice, I'm going to say that's out of scope for Player Location Saving, but it sounds like a good idea for a separate mod. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
This one beats me without more info. Sounds like you are also using the Spirit Mod? Amazing mod! Big fan of it myself. I've been using that on my server too, but haven't seen anything like this happen... yet? I don't see how this could be the cause of Player Location Saving though, as the only thing my mod does is invoke a teleport on the player, a single time, after they are done entering the world. I'll keep an eye out for odd behavior like this. Thanks for the feedback.

This is a neat idea - I'd like to see more mod developers offer standalone features rather than all-in-one packages where you are stuck with the good and the bad. Following that practice, I'm going to say that's out of scope for Player Location Saving, but it sounds like a good idea for a separate mod. Thanks for the idea!
Yea, scratch that, it must be some other mod just occasionally bugging out a tad. Yea, spirit mod is great! And no problem, yea, it's totally out of the scope and a different topic, but still a somewhat cool idea. I've always liked the small visual changes and flame changes from the Terraria Overhaul and mods similar but IMO they contain far to much bloatware and dont run well with other mods.

So, I tried this and loved it — it made world saves behave the way I always thought they should... until I logged in to a second world, and was teleported to the same position. (Which, in this case, was literally standing *in* the ground. :)

I expected that my place in space would be saved as part of the *world*, or at least tied to it, so that I would return to where I was *in the same world*, even if I logged in to more than one world with the same character...

@Garretonzo Sir, can you fix this issue? Mod is awesome but it's not working as said earlier
The 1.4 version has recently stopped working. Probably due to some update to the alpha. The specific error in question:
Apologies to all who were waiting on me to fix the bug. I unfortunately did not pay close attention to alpha updates and how they might affect mods.
Last week I pushed out an update but figured I should also mention on this thread that the bug has been fixed!
I will try to keep better track of the state of alpha.

So, I tried this and loved it — it made world saves behave the way I always thought they should... until I logged in to a second world, and was teleported to the same position. (Which, in this case, was literally standing *in* the ground. :)

I expected that my place in space would be saved as part of the *world*, or at least tied to it, so that I would return to where I was *in the same world*, even if I logged in to more than one world with the same character...
This sounds like a critical issue. I have tested playing on multiple worlds with the same character and did not run into this myself.
I made multiple new characters and new worlds to test logging out and back in across them all, but was still not able to reproduce the bug.

If you could please provide steps/details on how to reproduce the bug, that would be much appreciated.

I will note: Under the hood, the player NAME combined with the world ID are used to create a "unique" identifier, which the location data is then paired with and saved.
Perhaps this pairing is not as "unique" as I thought it would be. The two world IDs might be the same in your case, even though the worlds are different... I'm not sure how that would be possible but it is where I will start to dig deeper.

Last edited:
Just started my first solo playthrough and this mod is an absolute must have! Unfortunately, it's not compatible with the current TModLoader version, so I'll be waiting for an update before I go much further on my playthrough.

Back
Top Bottom