Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

The only thing I'm worried about with this system is when you activate hard mode. "Woops, there goes an entire town you had built because you killed the wall of flesh and the corrupt part of the V that extended out went right across it"

I realize it would be easy to fix once you have a Clentaminator, but it would still be a bit of a heavy hit in early hard mode.

I will for sure be using this, although it does come with extra building. I dont really mind that, but still. WHY IM GONNA HAVE TO MAKE A NEW WORLD FOR THIS CONTENT!!! HELP ME!!! 😭

We are here directly responding to you. Disagreement =/= ignoring nor silencing. :)

Yeah, you're right, sorry. That comment was mostly how I felt after my arguments were being dismissed.

Not sure that is entirely true. It all depends on what you consider a default approach and what you consider a punishment. I can fight Moon Lord out in the open... or I can make the effort to build an arena. One of those is faster-to-the-fight and the other is an easier fight. #Choices.

This isn't entirely comparable to what I'm complaining about though... but I'm finding it hard to explain, as evidenced by all the people thinking I hate this change because of the good thing it brings.

Maybe wait until you are actually playing and give things a chance before passing prejudgement? :)

I've given building many chances since the 1.1 update, but it just isn't for me. And again, I love that you guys are revitalizing parts of the game! I like that you're adding incentives for people to do a better job with their bases/houses. What I don't like is how I'm going to be punished for not doing it.

But oh well, at this point this just feels like barking to a wall. I give up. At least the game will have official modding support so I (or another person, idk) can remove that small part of it so I can continue to enjoy the game as I've been doing for almost a decade.

Last edited:
Man i just made this account to say how bad this is, i mean they are forcing the players to do something, for all of you that are good at building this is a good change but for those who doesn't it's not, besides this makes the early game a little bit harder at the beginning? They are punishing the players for not doing this thing, by rising the prices, that force the players to do something that they are probably not good or they just dont want to, whats wrong with the easiest way of doing things as it is right now?? i dont like that they punish the players, why not just give benefits to those who try it but dont punish the people who dont?? It was really that hard??.
Edit: I love the game but this is just too much, if this is how it's going to be from now on, i hope someone makes a mod to turn off this mechanic.

I will for sure be using this, although it does come with extra building. I dont really mind that, but still. WHY IM GONNA HAVE TO MAKE A NEW WORLD FOR THIS CONTENT!!! HELP ME!!! 😭
I mean, even if they didn't expand cities you'd have to create new worlds to access new stuff.

Man i just made this account to say how bad this is, i mean they are forcing the players to do something, for all of you that are good at building this is a good change but for those who doesn't it's not, besides this makes the early game a little bit harder at the beginning? They are punishing the players for not doing this thing, by rising the prices, that force the players to do something that they are probably not good or they just dont want to, whats wrong with the easiest way of doing things as it is right now?? i dont like that they punish the players, why not just give benefits to those who try it but dont punish the people who dont?? It was really that hard??.
I don't like building and I absolutely love this.
Either way you get some kind of benefit. If you choose the traditional way, you don't waste your time on NPCs and instead can enjoy other stuff. If you choose the new way, you'll have to put some effort into something you may or not like, and get some good results.

Last edited:
I'll parrot what I said on Twitter to start with I suppose.
---
I'm worried what NPC happiness conditions will be and how thoroughly it was tested. I can only imagine it being a middle finger to a vast majority of builders. The screenshot examples make it look like the size of the house matters more then the creativity behind it.
---
Seriously though, the screenshots show basic NPC houses with barely nothing in them, just glorified extra large NPC prisons in larger spaces. Great for basic players who want to take advantage of the system but aren't into advanced building. But what about micro builds and smaller themed homes and buildings? What are the conditions that will cause the NPCs to be happy or unhappy? Will the houses I spent hours getting to look just right be considered trash by this system but that box I slapped together in a few minutes because the npc said it would make them happy matter more? What's considered crowded? If I have a workshop themed house with say the engineer, tinker, steampunker and cyborg in a house where each room isn't bloated like the ones in those screenshots will it be overcrowded? Will I end up having to make a separate world to buy stuff just to get around this systems arbitrary requirements not to be punished with higher prices by unhappy NPCs living in otherwise fancy builds?

I know it's a lot of what ifs, and the idea of a happiness thing for NPCs providing a benefit sounds nice, but that unhappiness thing sends up a red flag for me. I really don't want that to end up being the thing that kills 1.4 and Terraria for me after all these years, I spend way to much time building just to have a system like that show up and go "lol not good enough" for things I've spent hours, days, weeks, and even years building that were perfectly fine for the NPCs before the update.

We actually specified that due to complexity issues (with all of the furniture selections we have) and limitations on people's aesthetic choices, actual housing design is not impacted. They are concerned more about nearby NPCs (who and how many) and current biome biome. When she says "crowded", she means there are too many other NPCs nearby.

So we are going to be forced to spend time that could be spent doing all the other much more important things like fighting bosses and events just so we can not have to pay more for basic items like bullets that are almost a necessity for rangers? Yeah, I'm not a fan of this

I like building large and extravagant housing that leaves room with plenty of space that dosen't interrupt movement flow, but still houses more than 3 npcs. It sounds like in order to take advantage of this, I'd have to drastically cut down the population and livliness of my main play area and possible biomes for farming down the line if i make towns everywhere.

I think i would be happier if the limit of people before crowding occurs was larger than 4 or if there was a neat workaround where housing needs to be spread apart after 2 or 3 to allow for more npcs in an area rather than leaving ALOT of empty space or nerding to use the teleport service rather than traversing a cohesive structure/world while also not prohibiting players who dislike building from recieving benifits or a neutral npc shopping experience.

So we are going to be forced to spend time that could be spent doing all the other much more important things like fighting bosses and events just so we can not have to pay more for basic items like bullets that are almost a necessity for rangers? Yeah, I'm not a fan of this
Yeah, when i start a playthrough i usually just make the platform house thing and wait for npcs to come as i defeat bosses.
I don't wanna have to spend time making little houses for each npc just cause they like other npcs and don't wanna be "crowded".
I also don't like the fact that we need two npcs in each biome for a pylon. I get that pylons are useful and you'd just use that to get to them, but like they said, you can't use it during boss battles or invasions/events. So if you have the nurse in example, jungle, then while you're fighting a boss you can't get to her.

Y'all keep saying you are forced to do this. You are not, and you don't even need NPCs. You can keep doing what you do. The only downside is that you'll have to pay more, but hey, all the time you don't spend on NPCs will be spent on ways of getting money.

You know, I’m seeing a ton of complaints. I get it, it might be a little inconvenient, but you do realize that if the devs do decide to change this, it might result in a delay and definitely make days of work go to waste. Did you react the same when you realized the truffle needed a different biome to move in? This is no different. You’ll just need to adapt, is all.

I can imagine myself doing fun things with this. (Example: making beach-loving NPCs live under the ocean) so why can’t you?

I don't want to have to do something I don't enjoy just because I get punished for not doing it. I'd rather be doing literally anything but building.

Actually, will we just be able to use artificial biomes? if so I'll just be making a brick of biomes above spawn and sticking NPCs in cells there. I also hope NPC preferences don't change if they die because that would be a huge pain.

Will the pylons be usable during the Lunar Events? I would prefer them to be, because you have to travel to different parts of the world for the pillars, unlike other invasions which all take place at the center of the world (which you can easily teleport to at any time).

Back
Top Bottom