Expand Your Terraria Empire - Pylons, Town Building, and NPC Happiness

... who are you talking to?

I ask this because you're replying to a post where, among the text you quoted was, "I don't resort to mods to 'fix' a game". It makes absolutely no sense to tell someone to do a thing in reply to a post where they specifically said that they don't do that thing.

That may seem like a minor point, but:

Again, I have no idea who you're talking to. A direct quote from the post you're replying to: "This change isn't a deal-breaker; it's just one more irritant to throw on the pile." I don't know if you're arguing with myself or some kind of gross caricature of my arguments that you have manufactured out of whole cloth.

At the very least, it would be a good idea to more carefully read the posts you're replying to before making such a reply.

I didn't use a mod, but I did eventually give up on getting it legit and just use a map editor to give his items to me. After a while, I did the same with Biome Keys, because seriously, who has time to deal with that nonsense?
i do not believe you read my comment nor the comment i replied to correctly

Speaking of the Angler, I hope that coralstone blocks become more accessible in 1.4. It's currently impossible to get any decent amount of quantities of it without spending hundreds of hours doing nothing but just fishing.

Is happiness going to be a permanent thing once you raise them or can it go up and down? If it can go down then is it instantaneous or does it have inertia?
Say if I make my Dryad real happy to get a big discount one place but then I need to move her to a mushroom biome to get seeds. Will she give me her unhappy prices then? Do I have to build her a fully equipped guest temporary bungalow and move her best friend next to her just to maintain her good mood?
Speaking of the mushroom biome, will NPCs have multiple preferred biomes?
How will this system interact with multiple biomes in the same area? For example you can stack ocean, tundra, jungle, and hallow all together.
Inquiring minds want to know!

From reading these discussions I've found both points of view fascinating and therefore made an account as I feel I can contribute constructively to this discussion.
First I'd like to get out the way my subjective opinion on this feature (not that it matters):
Personally speaking from someone who sometimes tries to build nice things but usually resorts to the normal NPC hotel method, I like the idea of a new feature that pushes me out of my comfort zone even if it is only in a very minimal way.

Now for my attempt at a fair and reasonable argument:
Before I begin I just want to mention I am going to try and avoid talking about anything we don't know yet such as numerical specifics of punishments.

The reason I think this argument is interesting is because Terraria is ultimately a sandbox game and therefore should allow the player to be flexible in how they play although even sandbox games must have restrictions or it is just a confusing mess with no path to progression. There is a fine line between restrictions that makes sense and ones that don't and I don't think I am qualified to say where this falls.

While side features are important to giving a game depth and more things to do after looking at everyone's points I am starting to agree that the idea of a penalty is negative, while I see where the other side is coming from it really depends whether you see NPCs as a means to gain resources or a character that has their own wants and needs with a benefit of offering resources. Neither of these views are wrong and I could be assuming these ideas seem to align with the opposing beliefs.

The rewards system on the other hand I think is a good addition that offers a benefit to decentralised building to compete with the disadvantage of convenience and while some people may argue that the rewards should be solely the satisfaction you get from building. I would like to remind you that the Moonlord is Terraria's last boss and you could apply the same logic that you shouldn't need any of the drops from the Moonlord and the satisfaction from killing it should be enough.

In terms of seeing this as a bad game play feature I think aspects of the feature could potentially be bad but I don't think you could call the feature as a whole bad. But to wrap up the devil is in the details of how the developers implement this feature which will become clear in time.

Last edited:
So, I found out a possible solution.
Re-logic could make a toggle for NPC happiness, crowding ect.
But that’s just a recommendation I’ve made, so others can come up with stuff too :)

So, I found out a possible solution.
Re-logic could make a toggle for NPC happiness, crowding ect.
But that’s just a recommendation I’ve made, so others can come up with stuff too :)
That might be not a solution in case of if Re-logic decides not to make a toggle for NPC happiness.
But a solution which will work for you in 100% of the cases is the following one:

new bunny? (that underground base there is new bunny):dryadnaughty:
1588594378500.png
1588594379433.png

Attachments

• 1588594380430.png
    1588594380430.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 76
From reading these discussions I've found both points of view fascinating and therefore made an account as I feel I can contribute constructively to this discussion.
First I'd like to get out the way my subjective opinion on this feature (not that it matters):
Personally speaking from someone who sometimes tries to build nice things but usually resorts to the normal NPC hotel method, I like the idea of a new feature that pushes me out of my comfort zone even if it is only in a very minimal way.

Now for my attempt at a fair and reasonable argument:
Before I begin I just want to mention I am going to try and avoid talking about anything we don't know yet such as numerical specifics of punishments.

The reason I think this argument is interesting is because Terraria is ultimately a sandbox game and therefore should allow the player to be flexible in how they play although even sandbox games must have restrictions or it is just a confusing mess with no path to progression. There is a fine line between restrictions that makes sense and ones that don't and I don't think I am qualified to say where this falls.

While side features are important to giving a game depth and more things to do after looking at everyone's points I am starting to agree that the idea of a penalty is negative, while I see where the other side is coming from it really depends whether you see NPCs as a means to gain resources or a character that has their own wants and needs with a benefit of offering resources. Neither of these views are wrong and I could be assuming these ideas seem to align with the opposing beliefs.

The rewards system on the other hand I think is a good addition that offers a benefit to decentralised building to compete with the disadvantage of convenience and while some people may argue that the rewards should be solely the satisfaction you get from building. I would like to remind you that the Moonlord is Terraria's last boss and you could apply the same logic that you shouldn't need any of the drops from the Moonlord and the satisfaction from killing it should be enough.

In terms of seeing this as a bad game play feature I think aspects of the feature could potentially be bad but I don't think you could call the feature as a whole bad. But to wrap up the devil is in the details of how the developers implement this feature which will become clear in time.
You got it in one.

I can’t wait for master mode !!!! I would love if the moon lord gave you a Debuff called anti gravity where you were in anti gravity.:D

You have failed to convince me at all. You are assuming my expectations of the size of the penalty, and you are assuming things about my playstyle too. So, in terms of how I personally will react, I'm still stuck with my 3 outcomes.
Nice wall of text though.
ok

Is there any confirmation of how the "final sword" will be obtained?
I've seen somewhere "drop by the moon lord" comments, but moon lord already drops other swords...
Wouldn't it make more sense for final sword to be craftable out of all other strong/final swords instead of dropping?

Also, can't wait to see what projectiles it will have and how will it work.
Considering significant advantage of ranged/magic classes with damage in comparison videos on youtube...

Also, will we have even stronger mage/ranged weapons if melee gets stronger one than meowmere/star wrath?
Or it's only melee update?

Is there any confirmation of how the "final sword" will be obtained?

Why it would be one? What is the point of "confirmation of how the "final sword" will be obtained?" Is it playing the game by yourself the point of discovering the "Final sword" or all new staff they added to update?

Or it's only melee update?

No it's not they did go through the whole game to update staff and add new staff or change (maybe i don't work on the update) But seen spoilers throughout the period of 3 years or more.
I can say they didn't just update melee class.

I didn't mean to sound rude or anything to you.

Last edited:
i noticed 2 new things on the minimap. the first is the massive tree that you occasionally find in terraria, well they seem to be spawning in big groups of 3-2, and they have new shapes on the top with they're leaves, now being less stretched out and more rounded. they are also a lot more short, because i have memories of them reaching up into space, but comparing that with several other not-so-big landmarks and the top of the map you can see that they aren't as big as they used to be i think. second thing i noticed is that you can get a peak at the new oasis minibiome inbetween the corruption biome and the snow biome.

I feel like the main root of the discourse here is the increase in prices. Which, again, we don't know. So how can we possibly judge it without knowing?
Of course, it's the only negative change in the whole post. I would say everything related to "make NPC's happy to lower prices and get pylons" is 100% 'good'.

And I also would love to hear any info on the price changes (even if it's just "less than x%" or "not much"), but we haven't gotten that, and I don't expect to hear anything, either.

As of now, the potential price increase is between 101% and ∞%, so I'm not considering it in my current thoughts, yet.

Back
Top Bottom