tModLoader Gensokyo Mod, a Touhou mod for Terraria

Eidolon94

Terrarian
Gensokyo Mod
icon.png

The Gensokyo Mod is a mod inspired by the Touhou franchise. It is a content pack that adds new enemies, weapons, accessories, vanity sets, and loads of bosses. If you're a Touhou fan, this is the mod for you. However, even if this is the first time you've ever heard of Touhou, there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the challenging fights and interesting items included in the mod - at most you'll miss a few references.

Now, on to its features:
  • More than 160 new weapons & accessories
  • 39 vanity sets
  • 19 new enemies, not including boss minions
  • 19 new bosses, plus one miniboss
  • 18 remixes of Touhou boss or stage themes
  • A new Town NPC
  • A new mini-biome, with full-sized biomes planned for the future

The Bosses
The mod currently includes 19 bosses, divided into seven difficulty tiers. The bosses on the lowest tier can easily be fought during early Pre-Hardmode, whereas the highest tier should be roughly as challenging as the Moon Lord. Thus, no matter how far your run has progressed, there'll always be some boss that's roughly on your level.

If you want to see whether your favorite Touhou character is included, check out the list of currently implemented bosses below.
Tier 1
These bosses can be fought and defeated very early during a playthrough. Their fights consist of three stages.

Rumia (Gensokyo).png
Rumia

Eternity Larva (Gensokyo).png
Eternity Larva

Lily White (Gensokyo).png
Lily White

Nazrin (Gensokyo).png
Nazrin

Tier 2
These bosses are balanced for late Pre-Hardmode. Their fights also consist of three stages.

Hina Kagiyama (Gensokyo).png
Hina Kagiyama

Sekibanki (Gensokyo).png
Sekibanki

Seiran (Gensokyo).png
Seiran
Tier 3
These bosses are intended to be fought during early Hardmode, possibly even directly after the Wall of Flesh is defeated. Their fights consist of four stages.

Nitori Kawashiro (Gensokyo).png
Nitori Kawashiro

Medicine Melancholy (Gensokyo).png
Medicine Melancholy

Cirno (Gensokyo).png
Cirno

Tier 4
The bosses on this tier are balanced for players who have already made some progress during Hardmode. Their fights also consist of four stages.

Minamitsu Murasa (Gensokyo).png
Minamitsu Murasa

Alice Margatroid (Gensokyo).png
Alice Margatroid

Tier 5
These bosses should be fought by players using Hallowed or Chlorophyte equipment. Their fights consist of five stages.

Sakuya Izayoi (Gensokyo).png
Sakuya Izayoi

Seija Kijin (Gensokyo).png
Seija Kijin

Mayumi Joutouguu (Gensokyo).png
Mayumi Joutouguu

Tier 6
The bosses on Tier 6 should be fought by players using Post-Plantera equipment. Their fights consist of six stages.

Toyosatomimi no Miko (Gensokyo).png
Toyosatomimi no Miko

Kaguya Houraisan (Gensokyo).png
Kaguya Houraisan

Tier 7
The final tier of bosses, for now. Seven stages.

Utsuho Reiuji (Gensokyo).png
Utsuho Reiuji

Tenshi Hinanawi (Gensokyo).png
Tenshi Hinanawi

Videos
Leviathan fighting all bosses that existed as of September 2019 (some attacks have been updated since then).

Showcase of Alice Margatroid and Kaguya Houraisan.

Showcase of Mayumi Joutouguu

Soundtrack
We have created a playlist showcasing the Touhou music remixes included in the mod. Check it out here.
Note that for these videos, the boss AI was altered significantly (such as completely removing movement) and is not representative of normal gameplay.

Download
The newest version of the mod can always be downloaded via the Mod Browser or Steam Workshop.
If you're still on tModloader 1.3, the last version compatible with 1.3 can be downloaded here.

Some bosses (particularly the lower tiers) don't have custom music tracks yet. While fighting these bosses, vanilla Terraria music will play. However, if you want their original themes from the Touhou soundtrack to play instead, you'll need to download Gensokyo Music and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Wiki
Quickly need to look up information about a weapon or enemy from the mod? Click here to get to our wiki.

Discord Community
If you want to give feedback about the mod, suggest features, or occasionally get a sneak peek at stuff that's still in development, join our Discord community. It's a lot more active than this forum thread.

Credits
The Team:

Eidolon94:
Game design, programming
nnerdragon: Spriting
Ümbra: Music
Mrrp: Spriting
Rhoenicx: Spriting, programming
Juhou: Programming, spriting, music

Additional Thanks:

Gufflon: Extensive playtesting

Attachments

• Hina Kagiyama (Gensokyo).png
    Hina Kagiyama (Gensokyo).png
    513 bytes · Views: 13,744
  • Nitori Kawashiro (Gensokyo).png
    Nitori Kawashiro (Gensokyo).png
    461 bytes · Views: 13,860
Last edited:
Welcome!
Happy to see this mod has a forum page now! As far as Touhou related content goes in Terraria I think Gensokyo is the winner on top, sure there's the Touhou mod (simply called Touhou mod, and in all due respect is a great mod that fits into Terraria as well, thou mostly only the items do, the bosses are another story), however the bosses in that mod felt a little too "on par" with the base games, mostly looking at how recreated the sprites and boss fights were.

Gensokyo overall feels like a more in-tune take on Terraria style Touhou, the Items fit and the Bosses's attacks surprisingly don't feel jarring and sync well despite being bullet hells; and those Terraria-style Touhou character sprites are just so good and fit right in, you guys totally nailed the quality here.

I don't join discord groups, so I'm leaving my thoughts here so you know a forum goer really appreciates what you've made, and hopefully, will continue to make <3

I love this mod, thank you devs!

Edit: Sakuya's clock items completely break flail-type items D:

Last edited:
Welcome!
Happy to see this mod has a forum page now! As far as Touhou related content goes in Terraria I think Gensokyo is the winner on top, sure there's the Touhou mod (simply called Touhou mod, and in all due respect is a great mod that fits into Terraria as well, thou mostly only the items do, the bosses are another story), however the bosses in that mod felt a little too "on par" with the base games, mostly looking at how recreated the sprites and boss fights were.

Gensokyo overall feels like a more in-tune take on Terraria style Touhou, the Items fit and the Bosses's attacks surprisingly don't feel jarring and sync well despite being bullet hells; and those Terraria-style Touhou character sprites are just so good and fit right in, you guys totally nailed the quality here.

I don't join discord groups, so I'm leaving my thoughts here so you know a forum goer really appreciates what you've made, and hopefully, will continue to make <3

Thank you for the feedback! It makes me really happy to hear that something that started as a hobby project to get better at programming is now appreciated by so many people!

I love this mod, thank you devs!

Edit: Sakuya's clock items completely break flail-type items D:

That issue should be fixed now, at least for vanilla flails. I can make no guarantees for flails from other mods, unfortunately.

Man i liked a lot the mod, and you even added Mayumi recently.
But im having a problem, in this new version of the mod my Terraria does not load something and causes an error.
View attachment 246344
I tried to uninstall Terraria and the mod, proceeded to replace the tmodloader but i still cant play it. Can someone help me?

I dunno if this is the right place to say or is it in the Discord server.

Hey, please try the following:
  • Open the ModLoader directory. The easiest way to do this is to click on "Mods" in the main menu, click the "Open Mod Folder" button, then go up one level.
  • Open the file config.json
  • Add the following two lines:
    "Support4K": true,
    "Support8K": true,
If that doesn't work, try setting Support8K to false, but leave Support4K as true.

Last edited:
Is there a way to change the weapons' special attack button without changing the right click button's binding. Maybe separating the key binding to it's own thing. It's conflicting with some of my other mods, and I don't know how to change it.

Honestly, I'd say that at the very least, there should be a costume for every boss and every character whose weapons happen to be in the mod. My dream is to one day march through the horrors of Calamity with several of Gensokyo's finest, and this mod will be how I make that happen.

Additionally, if you ever delve into the PC98 era, Mima and Shinki are almost obligatory, but another contender that might be interesting is someone from the group of Konngara, Sariel, Rikako, or Yumemi.

And let me also toss you a gem that was also created recently, might offer some inspiration or reveal a potential future partner: misterslime/RinSatsukiMod

Is there a way to change the weapons' special attack button without changing the right click button's binding. Maybe separating the key binding to it's own thing. It's conflicting with some of my other mods, and I don't know how to change it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added that functionality in the new patch released today.

please add the Alice Margatroid costume in the next update

All currently included bosses will have their vanity sets added eventually.

Honestly, I'd say that at the very least, there should be a costume for every boss and every character whose weapons happen to be in the mod. My dream is to one day march through the horrors of Calamity with several of Gensokyo's finest, and this mod will be how I make that happen.

Additionally, if you ever delve into the PC98 era, Mima and Shinki are almost obligatory, but another contender that might be interesting is someone from the group of Konngara, Sariel, Rikako, or Yumemi.

And let me also toss you a gem that was also created recently, might offer some inspiration or reveal a potential future partner: misterslime/RinSatsukiMod

We will definitely keep adding more and more vanity sets. I can't promise that there will eventually be a vanity set for each and every one of the 100+ Touhou characters though. What I can say, however, is that each of the current (and future) bosses will get a vanity set eventually. Beyond that, the choice of further vanity sets (and the order in which they're added) is pretty flexible and depends a lot on suggestions on our Discord.

I'm not really into the PC-98 stuff, unfortunately. I'm not saying that there definitely won't ever be PC-98 stuff - but if something does get added from there, it'll probably only be vanity stuff, and even then only for the "big names" - Mima, Shinki, maybe Reimu's and Marisa's PC-98 outfits.

We will definitely keep adding more and more vanity sets. I can't promise that there will eventually be a vanity set for each and every one of the 100+ Touhou characters though. What I can say, however, is that each of the current (and future) bosses will get a vanity set eventually. Beyond that, the choice of further vanity sets (and the order in which they're added) is pretty flexible and depends a lot on suggestions on our Discord.
Fair enough. Beyond the bosses, I'd call the "Playable Command" crew - Reimu (done), Marisa (done), Sakuya, Youmu (done), Reisen, Aya (done), Sanae, and Cirno - the only truly obligatory outfits. Everything else would be gravy.
'm not really into the PC-98 stuff, unfortunately. I'm not saying that there definitely won't ever be PC-98 stuff - but if something does get added from there, it'll probably only be vanity stuff, and even then only for the "big names" - Mima, Shinki, maybe Reimu's and Marisa's PC-98 outfits.
Unfortunate. But I get it. That era is obscure and quasi-canon at best in the minds of most. Besides those four, if I had to choose only one other person from that era to be recognized, it would be a tossup between Yumemi Okazaki and Sariel. And if PC98 era only gets one boss (if any), it should be Shinki.

I love the purification fan it OP against worm bosses though it doesnt have any effect maybe you can also add timer when the damage will trigger just like mini gauge above players character
.. And its also bug when doing old ones army it destroys the portal.

Gensokyo Mod
View attachment 276493

The Gensokyo Mod is a mod inspired by the Touhou franchise. It is a content pack that adds new enemies, weapons, accessories, vanity sets, and loads of bosses. If you're a Touhou fan, this is the mod for you. However, even if this is the first time you've ever heard of Touhou, there's nothing stopping you from enjoying the challenging fights and interesting items included in the mod - at most you'll miss a few references.

Now, on to its features:
  • More than 180 new items
  • 17 vanity sets
  • 11 new enemies, not including boss minions
  • 15 new bosses, plus one miniboss
  • 9 remixes of Touhou boss themes
  • A new Town NPC
  • A new mini-biome, with full-sized biomes planned for the future

The Bosses
The mod currently includes 15 bosses, divided into seven difficulty tiers. The bosses on the lowest tier can easily be fought during early Pre-Hardmode, whereas the highest tier should be roughly as challenging as the Moon Lord. Thus, no matter how far your run has progressed, there'll always be some boss that's roughly on your level.

If you want to see whether your favorite Touhou character is included, check out the list of currently implemented bosses below.
Tier 1
These bosses can be fought and defeated very early during a playthrough. Their fights consist of three stages.

View attachment 237061 Rumia

View attachment 237060 Eternity Larva

View attachment 237062 Lily White

Tier 2
These bosses are balanced for late Pre-Hardmode. Their fights also consist of three stages.

View attachment 237066 Hina Kagiyama

View attachment 237067 Sekibanki

Tier 3
These bosses are intended to be fought during early Hardmode, possibly even directly after the Wall of Flesh is defeated. Their fights consist of four stages.

View attachment 237068 Nitori Kawashiro

View attachment 237069 Medicine Melancholy

Tier 4
The bosses on this tier are balanced for players who have already made some progress during Hardmode. Their fights also consist of four stages.

View attachment 237070 Minamitsu Murasa

View attachment 237071 Alice Margatroid

Tier 5
These bosses should be fought by players using Hallowed or Chlorophyte equipment. Their fights consist of five stages.

View attachment 237072 Sakuya Izayoi

View attachment 237073 Seija Kijin

View attachment 237074 Mayumi Joutouguu

Tier 6
The bosses on Tier 6 should be fought by players using Post-Plantera equipment. Their fights consist of six stages.

View attachment 237075 Toyosatomimi no Miko

View attachment 237076 Kaguya Houraisan

Tier 7
The final tier of bosses, for now. Seven stages.

View attachment 237077 Utsuho Reiuji

Videos
Leviathan fighting all bosses that existed as of September 2019 (some attacks have been updated since then).

Showcase of Alice Margatroid and Kaguya Houraisan.

Showcase of Mayumi Joutouguu, the newest boss added to the mod.

Soundtrack
We have created a playlist showcasing the Touhou music remixes included in the mod. Check it out here.
Note that for these videos, the boss AI was altered significantly (such as completely removing movement) and is not representative of normal gameplay.

Download
The newest version of the mod can always be downloaded via the Mod Browser.
Click here for a manual download.

Some bosses (particularly the lower tiers) don't have custom music tracks yet. While fighting these bosses, vanilla Terraria music will play. However, if you want their original themes from the Touhou soundtrack to play instead, you'll need to download Gensokyo Music and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Wiki
Quickly need to look up information about a weapon or enemy from the mod? Click here to get to our wiki.

Discord Community
If you want to give feedback about the mod, suggest features, or occasionally get a sneak peek at stuff that's still in development, join our Discord community.

Credits
The Team:

Eidolon94:
Game design, programming
nnerdragon: Spriting
Ümbra: Music
Mrrp: Spriting
Rhoenicx: Spriting, programming

Special Thanks:

Gufflon: Extensive playtesting

Gensokyo.png
hello thanks for the Mod right now I have a problem when installing the Mod music it works for me but my friend does not start it in the correct way because it simply does not load and all the Mod including the main one stop working when joining my server is there any way to correct that?

Just wanted to show some love on this amazing mod, the difficultly is great and I love the hectic patterns of the bosses. Any chance you'll be adding more bosses in the future?

Finally! i can be myself in-game.
Thanks!
Also, any chance my weapon of choice will be added?
Onee-sama has her spear so...

I love this mod because it combines my two favorite games! My favorite parts are the boss progression and the outfits. When I'm looking at my boss checklist I get so excited when I see the that a Gensokyo boss is up next. The outfits are great, all of my playthroughs have characters named after Touhou girls so I save up my points to get the outfit to match. It's so fun to try and play classes that match with the characters, like playing mage with the Marisa costume while using the broom mount. I put this mod in every modpack because it just never gets boring. My next playthrough is gonna be playing as Cirno and trying to use only ice based weapons, it might be a challenge but I'm super excited. Sorry for being all gushy btw

The only thing that I don't like is that when I use the Lunar Clock while Moon Lord spawns the eye on his head still closes. (This might be on purpose for balance, or I might just be slow lol)

Keep up the awesome work! I'm looking forward for more updates and to continue playing it!

Just played through the mod and I enjoyed it a lot! I played a mage primarily as I usually do, and didn't use everything the mod provided, but I can give my thoughts.

--Most of the magic and summon items were pretty powerful, and in some cases the alternate fire is more useful than main fire (such as the Purification Fan and the Youkai Sage Umbrella). Though, delays between casting and the actual attack, as in the Nova Cannon and Youkai Sage Umbrella, tend to be fairly significant downsides, since Terraria isn't really a game where you want to stand around in a fight (unless you're a ranger in multiplayer).

--The ranged weapons also seemed powerful, though I didn't use them as much. Persuasion Needle was the main exception, as it didn't require ammo and was easily spammed and did massive DoT. Once I got them, I didn't take them off my "non magic weapon" slot until I got the Solar Eruption.

--Melee weapons are really cool, however, in Hardmode, getting up close to the monsters you're fighting tends to be a bad idea more often than not. I kept the Wolf Tengu Saber on my hotbar, but I wouldn't dream of actually using it in a fight instead of as a free Dangersense. Most Melee weapons later in the game fire projectiles, have long range, etc, and while the mod's late game melee weapons often did that, the projectiles for things like the Rod of Remorse were not strong enough for their position in the game to justify their use IMO.

--Vanity items are expensive!!!! Also I like pets, I wonder if there could be more (like a pet PCB butterfly, a pet TD divine spirit, a pet Orin/Chen/Ran...)

--Adapting Terraria to a Bullet Hell format is interesting to say the least. Rather than having a small, easily controllable hitbox, Terraria's hitbox is basically your sprite, and for about 60% of the game, you don't have access to mounts that let you move like in a bullet hell. As a result, patterns tended to be both larger, more chaotic, and with more difficult gaps, however Terraria characters can manage to take more than one hit before pichuu-ning so it's generally fair. As Rinnosuke commented, it feels a little less like simple danmaku for that reason, but there's not a whole lot you can do unless you make instant-death bullets (future Yuyuko fight?)

--Wishlist of fights and vanity (I know most of these will never happen, but that's what a wishlist does):
Yuyuko fight and vanity (I want the vanity and music the most I love Yuyuko)
Yukari fight and vanity
Wriggle fight
Reisen fight and vanity
Eirin fight (if only for a remix of Gensokyo Millenium, one of my favourite songs)
Eiki vanity
Sanae fight and vanity
Parsee fight
Yuugi fight and vanity
Satori fight (I wonder if that'd mean she summons other bosses from this mod?)
Unzan fight and Ichirin vanity
Nue vanity or at least wings
Junko vanity
Okina vanity

Incidentally, are you still doing work on this mod and planning to update to 1.4 once tmodloader does? I look forward to seeing Rinnosuke's housing preferences :p

In summary, thank you for creating this mod! I really enjoyed it and I really really hope to see more of this in the future! This will be a permanent fixture of modded Terraria for me ^^

Edit PS: This is also a wishlist thing, but since it's not a fight or vanity I'll put it here- a tool or an alternate fire, which lights up everything on your screen, putting it on your map. It could be a late-game thing. Mostly it'd be used for mapping out the whole world, and would synchronize well with the Purification Fan's biome cleansing for those who wanted to totally purge infectious biomes.

Last edited:
how do you get the power item a

Sorry for the late response; they're dropped by all bosses (and minibosses). I've also updated the wiki page to mention this.

Just played through the mod and I enjoyed it a lot! I played a mage primarily as I usually do, and didn't use everything the mod provided, but I can give my thoughts.

--Most of the magic and summon items were pretty powerful, and in some cases the alternate fire is more useful than main fire (such as the Purification Fan and the Youkai Sage Umbrella). Though, delays between casting and the actual attack, as in the Nova Cannon and Youkai Sage Umbrella, tend to be fairly significant downsides, since Terraria isn't really a game where you want to stand around in a fight (unless you're a ranger in multiplayer).

--The ranged weapons also seemed powerful, though I didn't use them as much. Persuasion Needle was the main exception, as it didn't require ammo and was easily spammed and did massive DoT. Once I got them, I didn't take them off my "non magic weapon" slot until I got the Solar Eruption.

--Melee weapons are really cool, however, in Hardmode, getting up close to the monsters you're fighting tends to be a bad idea more often than not. I kept the Wolf Tengu Saber on my hotbar, but I wouldn't dream of actually using it in a fight instead of as a free Dangersense. Most Melee weapons later in the game fire projectiles, have long range, etc, and while the mod's late game melee weapons often did that, the projectiles for things like the Rod of Remorse were not strong enough for their position in the game to justify their use IMO.

--Vanity items are expensive!!!! Also I like pets, I wonder if there could be more (like a pet PCB butterfly, a pet TD divine spirit, a pet Orin/Chen/Ran...)

--Adapting Terraria to a Bullet Hell format is interesting to say the least. Rather than having a small, easily controllable hitbox, Terraria's hitbox is basically your sprite, and for about 60% of the game, you don't have access to mounts that let you move like in a bullet hell. As a result, patterns tended to be both larger, more chaotic, and with more difficult gaps, however Terraria characters can manage to take more than one hit before pichuu-ning so it's generally fair. As Rinnosuke commented, it feels a little less like simple danmaku for that reason, but there's not a whole lot you can do unless you make instant-death bullets (future Yuyuko fight?)

--Wishlist of fights and vanity (I know most of these will never happen, but that's what a wishlist does):
Yuyuko fight and vanity (I want the vanity and music the most I love Yuyuko)
Yukari fight and vanity
Wriggle fight
Reisen fight and vanity
Eirin fight (if only for a remix of Gensokyo Millenium, one of my favourite songs)
Eiki vanity
Sanae fight and vanity
Parsee fight
Yuugi fight and vanity
Satori fight (I wonder if that'd mean she summons other bosses from this mod?)
Unzan fight and Ichirin vanity
Nue vanity or at least wings
Junko vanity
Okina vanity

Incidentally, are you still doing work on this mod and planning to update to 1.4 once tmodloader does? I look forward to seeing Rinnosuke's housing preferences :p

In summary, thank you for creating this mod! I really enjoyed it and I really really hope to see more of this in the future! This will be a permanent fixture of modded Terraria for me ^^

Edit PS: This is also a wishlist thing, but since it's not a fight or vanity I'll put it here- a tool or an alternate fire, which lights up everything on your screen, putting it on your map. It could be a late-game thing. Mostly it'd be used for mapping out the whole world, and would synchronize well with the Purification Fan's biome cleansing for those who wanted to totally purge infectious biomes.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you liked the mod.

I'll try to address some of your points and requests!
The most important thing first; while there's currently not much work being done on the mod, that's only because we had decided to wait until tML 1.4 before adding more stuff. We might even go back on that decision soon, since none of us expected that to take this long (though, knowing the quality of Terraria's source code, I really should have expected it).

Melee weapons definitely need a balance pass, and the few that still are "true melee" will also be updated eventually to shoot projectiles.
Vanity items being expensive is mostly because we wanted to make sure players don't drown in Point Items. Unlike the weapons and accessories, we also thought that most players would probably only want one or two vanity sets, so making them a bit more expensive didn't seem that bad.

Some of the things on that wishlist are definitely planned, but I won't say which ones. :happy:
There's only one entry that I'll flat-out rule out, and that's a Satori fight, because I really have no idea how to do her justice.

Is there some update coming out anytime soon? Like I don't really expect it I just wanna know if this mod is still getting developed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom