There & Back Again: A Summary of Journey's End

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true at all - all existing bosses can be encountered simply by playing the game. For example, naturally exploring leads to the Eye of Cthulhu summoning item, you naturally find plantera underground in the jungle, and moonlord is found when you attack the cultists. This is just an example; every boss in Terraria can be enountered naturally in a normal playthrough. The new ones are the same.

I don't really agree with this. Not for quite a few bosses.

Summoning the WoF requires doing something really specific, and the game never tells you what. Yes, it's something that can accidentally happen, but it's entirely possible to get a WoF summon without having any idea how it happened. One might get the idea that it spawned naturally, that it'll happen if you stay in the Underworld for a while. And the Guide's cryptic comments aren't helping.

And though you can find EoC summoning items in the world (and he'll just self-spawn when you get 200+ health), that doesn't tell you how to make his summoning item yourself (Terraria has always needed an inverse version of the Guide, who tells you what it takes to craft item X). Similarly, while you can summon the EoW/BoC by breaking Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts, that won't tell you how to summon them without doing that.

The Mechanical bosses are pretty inscrutible to summon if you don't know that those summoning items exist. You basically have to look at what you can make from certain materials and notice that one of the dozens on that list happens to summon a boss. That's something that's fairly easy to overlook.

Terraria has always had a really hard time explaining some of its mechanics without resorting to the Wiki. I for one would have given it up after several hours of play without finding the Wiki to offer at least some guidance, some idea that what I was doing was something that could be called "progression".

To be honest there is ONE boss that is KINDA hard to find unless you already know how to summon it, and that would be Duke Fishron. You have to be lucky to see a truffle worm, take the effort to catch one without it despawning, and then try to use it in the ocean. Nothing impossible to figure out with some effort, but I think it's worth pointing out, sometimes some exploration and experimentation is required, unless you just want to read everything on a wiki.

That's why i asked, are they naturally spawning or summoned through item or summoned through a certain action on the world like breaking something

There is a difference between mech bosses and duke fishron who is so optional that is often forgettable, and with the solar events now his drops are VERY optional

I don't really agree with this. Not for quite a few bosses.

Summoning the WoF requires doing something really specific, and the game never tells you what. Yes, it's something that can accidentally happen, but it's entirely possible to get a WoF summon without having any idea how it happened. One might get the idea that it spawned naturally, that it'll happen if you stay in the Underworld for a while. And the Guide's cryptic comments aren't helping.

And though you can find EoC summoning items in the world (and he'll just self-spawn when you get 200+ health), that doesn't tell you how to make his summoning item yourself (Terraria has always needed an inverse version of the Guide, who tells you what it takes to craft item X). Similarly, while you can summon the EoW/BoC by breaking Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts, that won't tell you how to summon them without doing that.

The Mechanical bosses are pretty inscrutible to summon if you don't know that those summoning items exist. You basically have to look at what you can make from certain materials and notice that one of the dozens on that list happens to summon a boss. That's something that's fairly easy to overlook.

Terraria has always had a really hard time explaining some of its mechanics without resorting to the Wiki. I for one would have given it up after several hours of play without finding the Wiki to offer at least some guidance, some idea that what I was doing was something that could be called "progression".
I think this comes down to people's playstyles really. Some prefer much less information in a game, requiring some initiative or investigation from the player - I personally prefer it when you have to work stuff out yourself, akin to some older RPGs or puzzle games. If you prefer a more modern "here's a marker, go do x there" style stuff then you're welcome to look at the wiki once it's updated, but that's just not how the developers seem to envision the game.

That's why i asked, are they naturally spawning or summoned through item or summoned through a certain action on the world like breaking something

There is a difference between mech bosses and duke fishron who is so optional that is often forgettable
You can wait until the wiki is updated, until people start posting videos about it, or just explore the world and try to figure it out by yourself. I'll probably choose the latter, but once the update launches I'm sure there will be videos about the new bosses after just a couple hours, and there's more than enough new content to keep you entretained until other people figure it out and post about it all over the internet.

You guys are amazing. This continues to be one of the best games I've ever played since it first came out. Thank you for your work and I look forward to see what you do next. In the meantime, onward to shaking my fist at 1.4 master mode when it goes live.

they removed the duplication glitch

and added a new mode that allows you to duplicate all you want, legitimately.

why do people keep complaining about a glitch when we have an official mode that gives us the ability?

Love most of this, just a few requests/feedback!

9 hits, no knockback, player takes full damage, and barely one of them dies towards the end.
I feel like it could need some rework?

I like this a lot, but I would try to reduce the two entirely square yellow dots on Golem's stomach to perhaps be a bit less square?

I think ".4%" looks a lot more confusing than simply "0.4%", especially since not all people and age groups might get it. Please change this!

Additional things:

• Please make Mana Crystals, when consumed, less loud! They're really shrieky right now and have always been.
  • Is there any way to make sand blocks hard, so you can mine tunnels in desert?
  • Please have a Rod of Discord upgrade of some sort?
  • Give us a rope that can actually bend and swing around pls?
For Master Mode only:
  • Please let clowns break blocks in Master Mode, like they used to
  • "If the player is falling far enough that they will take damage, but an enemy hits them and knocks them back, it will reset their fall damage"
    Please make this not apply to Master Mode!
  • Please make Medusa as threatening as she used to be, as well. We're asking for it, if we're playing Master Mode.

regarding the desert tunnels, i imagine you just use any non-gravity-conforming block, and swap out the sand with it using the new block swapping mechanic, then dig out the sand that is now under the solid blocks.

that should allow tunnels to be made under sand, right?

I'm probably an idiot, but I wish this was paid DLC. I have played well over 1000 hours of this game (mostly co-op) and have to rate this as one of the best buys I've made in my life. I bought about 5 or 6 copies of Terraria for friends because I wanted to reward the developers for creating and supporting this fantastic game for so long.
This latest update is really stunning work, so my hat's off to you.
If ever you decided to do a Terraria 2, or further expand on Terraria 1 with one or more paid packs... I'm in!

and added a new mode that allows you to duplicate all you want, legitimately.

why do people keep complaining about a glitch when we have an official mode that gives us the ability?

regarding the desert tunnels, i imagine you just use any non-gravity-conforming block, and swap out the sand with it using the new block swapping mechanic, then dig out the sand that is now under the solid blocks.

that should allow tunnels to be made under sand, right?

I dunno if there are any circumstanes to make it happen. Chippy tried to block-swap some sand on the surface and it didn't work. Maybe the devs don't want a workaround of the gravity mechanic from sand, slick etc.

I'm probably an idiot, but I wish this was paid DLC. I have played well over 1000 hours of this game (mostly co-op) and have to rate this as one of the best buys I've made in my life. I bought about 5 or 6 copies of Terraria for friends because I wanted to reward the developers for creating and supporting this fantastic game for so long.
This latest update is really stunning work, so my hat's off to you.
If ever you decided to do a Terraria 2, or further expand on Terraria 1 with one or more paid packs... I'm in!
I've thought about this so many times. I would have bought the game all over again for each expansion. This isn't horse-armor for ten dollars, after all. This is something that has people counting down for years.

I feel like I'm in some kind of bizarro-world, and I'm not sure which is the real world or which is the world I suddenly want to live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom