Texture Pack Better Ambiance Texture Pack (now for 1.4, but NOT on the workshop... yet)

Well... it's been AN ETERNITY (aka nearly 3 years), but the wait to proceed development of this pack is finally almost over. I owe it to all of you still using this pack after all this time from your messages and seeing it in your Youtube videos etc (even if you only used it for a little while), and I won't leave you hanging after the big 1.4 update.

I'm making this post now in response to the devs' latest news-update, which displayed a lot of detailed texture improvements that will be in 1.4. The new improved textures/backgrounds in Terraria 1.4 look really great, but it's looking like near-everything this pack is about will still be just as viable (and needed imho).

I look forward to seeing what else I can do to improve any new 'weak spots', or adding anything else that could effectively improve the game's atmosphere. As always, as the new official teaser images/videos are shown and the patch finally gets released, feel free to mention any ideas you have if they fall into this pack's theme. I intend to fully-overhaul it in the coming weeks.

So expect an update to this pack later this month!! :happy:

Last edited:
Attached below is a 2nd early 1.4 patch for this pack if you want it now. Enjoy the clear blue skies! :happy:

ba1.jpg

This is a slightly improved version from the one I released a few days ago, and completely compatible with 1.4 of course! Some new backgrounds still may not match the new water yet (which you may not even notice in-game depending on your world) -- just wanted to get something up for 1.4 now. I'll have a completed version up for download with all the new backgrounds included before the end of the month edit: Sorry, that didn't happen yet. But once it does I'll be refining it further from there, depending on feedback from you guys.

INSTALLATION: On PC, 1.4 texture packs are now placed in: Documents\My Games\Terraria\ResourcePacks ...Once it's there, it'll show up listed in your game's 'Texture Packs' menu. Lastly, enable it from 'Available Packs' as shown in the above picture. The moment you hit the 'back' button, you should immediately see the difference!

IF 1.4 IS YOUR FIRST TIME INSTALLING THIS: You will need an additional file to get the most out of this texture pack.
This is also an unconventional mod -- you'll need to install the 'Water File' below manually where you installed Terraria itself. My folder for this file is here:

C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Terraria\Content\Images\Misc

This is needed in order to enhance the color of standard water -- you must overwrite a file in this folder called "water_0.xnb". I also help guide you to this location in the download file itself. I recommend backing up the original "water_0.xnb" somewhere safe if you ever wish to revert to the original water later on.

I added this file at the bottom of this post for convenience, but it's the same exact file in the first post. Those who had Terraria installed with Better Ambiance prior to 1.4 won't need to do this, as 1.4 didn't replace anything there. This will all be more organized in first post once I update the full 1.4 version of the pack.

Attachments

• Better Ambiance.zip
    144.6 KB · Views: 28,933
  • Water File.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 21,141
Last edited:
Just to be safe, I'll reiterate this for new users of Better Ambiance after 1.4:

If 1.4 is your first time using Better Ambiance, or you've had it uninstalled up until now, you will also need to install the additional water file in the above post. This is in response to a few questions I've had from new users of this pack... my mistake for not clarifying this above -- it's there now. Since this texture pack is also technically a mod, it has an extra step to installation that can't be done any other way. For some reason, texture packs cannot change the main water texture. But with this method, now we can! ;)

As also mentioned in the above post, users who had Better Ambiance installed prior to 1.4's update don't need to worry about updating the water file -- the same modded file should still be there as it always was. You'll only need install it again if you ever uninstall and then reinstall Terraria.

Last edited:
View attachment 175383

I've released the 1.4 update of this pack linked right here. The version at the bottom of this post is for Terraria 1.3.5 (for now).

Have you ever noticed how Terraria's skies have turned a bleak shade of dark indigo over the years?

Ever noticed how the sky's purple-ish hue no longer matches up with brighter distant scenery such as mountains in the background like it used to?

Does it bother the crap out of you? And if it didn't before, does it now?

Do you like pretty things?

Do you like immersion?

Are you a lunatic like me?

If you've answered "yes" to most of the above, then this texture pack is for you!

Summary / Contents:

This pack offers something a bit different from others you might've seen.
The intent is to keep Terraria's original aesthetic, but breathe some life into it. Originally this was considered to be purely a 'color-correction' texture pack, but it became a bit more than that.

- I began by modifying the dreary color of the sky. After much tweaking, play-testing, and improvement, I then focused on adding more color variation which added a LOT of depth, better-matching background elements and clouds than vanilla, and providing a brighter, more vibrant atmosphere at daytime overall

- The sun itself was edited to be slightly more detailed while keeping the original style, less 'rotten-egg-like', and tweaked to match the new sky

- Some backgrounds have been made more vibrant and detailed -- specifically the Ocean Biome

- All standard water textures have been modified as well, to harmonize with the above changes

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Installation:

Typical texture pack installation, except for ***one additional IMPORTANT STEP***. This pack will require you to install an additional file to where you installed Terraria. My folder for this file is here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Terraria\Content\Images\Misc

This is needed in order to change the color of standard water -- you must overwrite a file in the above folder called "water_0.xnb". I also help guide you to this location in the download. I recommend backing up the original "water_0.xnb" somewhere safe if you wish to revert to the original water. The rest is standard procedure, but if this is your first time installing one:

Standard Texture Pack Installation:

https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...ack-support-and-world-seeds.51452/#Activation

Mod Users:

If you're using tModLoader and would like to use this pack along with all those glorious mods, you'll want to place the "Texture Pack.zip" file into where your ModLoader folder is. Mine is here:

C:\Users\(your name)\Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\TexturePacks

Credits/Thanks:

All textures have been created/modified by yours truly, mostly from Terraria's original content if not completely new.

A shout out to @Mirsario for incorporating my work into the brilliant Terraria Overhaul mod.

A huge thanks to @Murphmario for helping me solve the problem of editing water -- that would've taken a lot longer to figure out on my own.

Thanks to @Brutallama for being an inspiration in making this -- showing how much texture packs can drastically improve this game.

And last but not least, a thanks and shout out to @ChippyGaming for kindly giving this its own spotlight video on his mighty-fine Youtube channel.

Feel free to let me know what you think of the changes -- especially after playing in-game. I'm open to suggestions, if they seem in-line with the theme.

And most importantly, enjoy Terraria with Better Ambiance!
Hey, I don't know if you already know, but I just wanted to let you know that the download link for the 1.4 version isn't working. Pack is amazing, I've used it before, and I want to use it again!

I've eyed Better Ambience with interest since it has come out, but I never got around to downloading it until today. And I must say, wow. These changes are incredibly appealing, and I love the brighter look you've given Terraria. This is a must-have for me from now on. You've done great work here :D

I've eyed Better Ambience with interest since it has come out, but I never got around to downloading it until today. And I must say, wow. These changes are incredibly appealing, and I love the brighter look you've given Terraria. This is a must-have for me from now on. You've done great work here :D
This pack started as my own personal remedy for what bugged me most about Terraria's visuals. It's still very subtle compared to a lot of what's out there, to the extent many may glance at it and not see much difference, if any at all. Meanwhile others look and see a very profound difference, for better or worse. If they see value in it, I'm happy to be sharing it.

One thing I've always noticed about your work is a true appreciation for aesthetics (the small things that add up, or monumental feats like making the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in Terraria -- your Aurora event), so this has to be the biggest compliment I've received on this thus far. Thank you for the kind words, it's much appreciated.

Also really glad you're enjoying it! I think you'll like the new additions I'm tidying up right now. :)

Last edited:
ummmmm.... i have a slight problem, it doesent show up in terraria and i dont know why... evrything is in the right place but it doesent show up. wahts going on?
edit: im stupid (fixed)

Last edited:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to implement the improved water, I've followed your instructions to the best of my understanding, but I'm probably just too unintellectual to fully comprehend what you mean. I can't find a water.xnb file in any of my terraria folders which might be an issue, but I've copied both the zip and your water file into the terraria folder itself, into content, into images, and into the misc. file but my water remains the same. I really enjoy your texture pack since I never noticed how dull things were before and now I much prefer your shaders, but I'm so confused on what to do for the water file. Plz help! Edit: I did a thing and noticed something else, I noticed when the texture pack is on, the squares created by water in contact with not full blocks gets lighter blue, might be important but idk. I also copied the file and zip into your zip Better_Ambience/Content/Images
Capture 2020-11-07 23_18_46.png
Capture 2020-11-07 23_19_38.png

Last edited:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to implement the improved water, I've followed your instructions to the best of my understanding, but I'm probably just too unintellectual to fully comprehend what you mean. I can't find a water.xnb file in any of my terraria folders which might be an issue, but I've copied both the zip and your water file into the terraria folder itself, into content, into images, and into the misc. file but my water remains the same. I really enjoy your texture pack since I never noticed how dull things were before and now I much prefer your shaders, but I'm so confused on what to do for the water file. Plz help! Edit: I did a thing and noticed something else, I noticed when the texture pack is on, the squares created by water in contact with not full blocks gets lighter blue, might be important but idk. I also copied the file and zip into your zip Better_Ambience/Content/Images
Yes, what you say near the end is important.

If you're seeing brighter-colored water tiles along the sides of solid blocks, it means this texture pack is working, however the separate water file is not installed correctly.

It's unfortunate how many Youtube videos I've seen using/featuring this texture pack that installed the water file incorrectly like this. Firstly, make sure you've downloaded the separate water file, and it reads "water_0.xnb", with a "_0" as it does in my file. I only mention this since you don't have the "_0" when you mention the file above in your post.

My water file is installed here on my PC:

If you purchased Terraria from Steam like I did -- this is the default install location for the game, and where you must install the water file. If you have a non-Steam version or used any other install location, the file structure will still be the same -- just installed elsewhere on your PC. I used the folder structure in the downloadable file above to show exactly where it goes. Make sure the file isn't renamed from water_0.xnb. My file must overwrite the existing water_0.xnb that is already there by default in order to work -- so if you're installing my file somewhere and you're not overwriting the vanilla file, you know it's in the wrong place. Once you've done this, the improved water texture from this pack will be activated, and it'll match the brighter colors you're seeing now next to solid blocks!

Glad you're enjoying the pack, and hopefully even more so now! ;)

Hey, is it possible that they've fixed water in the latest version? I've done some tests and replacing normal water in a texture pack seems to work.
Screenshot_1.png
Better Ambiance pack + water_0.png file I added to the pack
Screenshot_2.png
Default water

Yes, what you say near the end is important.

If you're seeing brighter-colored water tiles along the sides of solid blocks, it means this texture pack is working, however the separate water file is not installed correctly.

It's unfortunate how many Youtube videos I've seen using/featuring this texture pack that installed the water file incorrectly like this. Firstly, make sure you've downloaded the separate water file, and it reads "water_0.xnb", with a "_0" as it does in my file. I only mention this since you don't have the "_0" when you mention the file above in your post.

My water file is installed here on my PC:

If you purchased Terraria from Steam like I did -- this is the default install location for the game, and where you must install the water file. If you have a non-Steam version or used any other install location, the file structure will still be the same -- just installed elsewhere on your PC. I used the folder structure in the downloadable file above to show exactly where it goes. Make sure the file isn't renamed from water_0.xnb. My file must overwrite the existing water_0.xnb that is already there by default in order to work -- so if you're installing my file somewhere and you're not overwriting the vanilla file, you know it's in the wrong place. Once you've done this, the improved water texture from this pack will be activated, and it'll match the brighter colors you're seeing now next to solid blocks!

Glad you're enjoying the pack, and hopefully even more so now! ;)
I figured it out now, thank you so much! I was just finding the terraria file the wrong way so I wasn't opening the right folder even though it was under the same name, thanks again it looks fantastic!

Dear Lunatic Lobbyist,

Your water file is obsolete. Instead of having to muck about with xnb files, you can just get the png file and put it into the texture pack via the directory that you mention.
On a higher note, Better Ambiance is probably going to be a must-have for me in my playthroughs. Your work is amazing :D.

I'll message you the improved Better Ambiance file, so you can embed it into the post.

EDIT: Wow. Only now do I realise this post will be the last for 2020. It's kind of overwhelming.

-Juicy

P.S. Sorry for being so formal. I just feel like being formal today :cool:.

Last edited:
Dear Lunatic Lobbyist,

Your water file is obsolete. Instead of having to muck about with xnb files, you can just get the png file and put it into the texture pack via the directory that you mention.
On a higher note, Better Ambiance is probably going to be a must-have for me in my playthroughs. Your work is amazing :D.

-Juicy

P.S. Sorry for being so formal. I just feel like being formal today :cool:.
Yes it's true that you no longer need the separate water file after a recent update, where they've changed how textures work in 1.4. However this is a new change, as there was no other way to get it to work prior.

As far as I know the old method is still needed for those playing modded, and I intend to keep that available for modded users, at least until tModloader finally updates to 1.4. But I'll definitely be including the simpler method in my next 1.4 update.

Happy you're enjoying the pack, and thank you for the incredibly kind words! Apologies for not getting my next update out earlier this year, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)

Hello? Regarding my post from last year, is Better Ambiance dead, and why haven't we heard from development in (1...2...3...4...5...6...) 8 months?! We're really eager to see this texture pack grow and evolve, but that can't happen if Better Ambiance dies. So, back to the point, can you send us an update on development? Thanks.

Hello? Regarding my post from last year, is Better Ambiance dead, and why haven't we heard from development in (1...2...3...4...5...6...) 8 months?! We're really eager to see this texture pack grow and evolve, but that can't happen if Better Ambiance dies. So, back to the point, can you send us an update on development? Thanks.

Our exchange was just a month ago. :p

But the answer to your question is... life happened. I used to have more free time -- then last year I got a new and somewhat demanding job, so I've had very little free time to tend to my creative hobbies and side projects. Sometimes even the most dedicated creators have to slow down after 3-4 years of doing these projects due to life changes... nothing too out of the ordinary.

That said, there are far more positives to the situation than negatives. While the last update was 7 months ago (not quite 8 yet!), I made certain to get the previous update out for 1.4 to make sure it's still completely compatible with the current version of Terraria, and everything still looks exactly as it should. While there is certainly more work to be done, this pack is still fully-functional for both 1.4 and 1.3 modded alike. Thus everyone who enjoys using this pack can continue to do so (and I'm grateful for the continued support!).

In addition to that, nothing else has changed from what I've said previously. Future development is NOT canceled and/or dead in any way. While progress obviously had to be slowed/halted -- additions and further improvements are still indeed on the way, please just be patient. As you can see with my responses, I still check this thread frequently -- nearly daily in fact. So worry not, I'm not going anywhere.

And despite the slowing of progress, I'm grateful to have support such as yourself and others, following this pack and looking forward the upcoming release! With a long-running project such as this (3 1/2 years going), I'm so pleased this little texture pack has remained a mainstay for as many Terraria fans as it has. I will give more details on specific progress soon, and I PLAN to be releasing the long-awaited update in March (late edit: it's going to be April). Ideally, I'd like to get it out with the new texture pack integration that Terraria will use in the next 1.4 update (late edit #2: looks like it'll be soon after). :happy:

Last edited:
Attached below is a 2nd early 1.4 patch for this pack if you want it now. Enjoy the clear blue skies! :happy:

View attachment 272323

This is a slightly improved version from the one I released a few days ago, and completely compatible with 1.4 of course! Some new backgrounds still may not match the new water yet (which you may not even notice in-game depending on your world) -- just wanted to get something up for 1.4 now. I'll have a completed version up for download with all the new backgrounds included before the end of the month edit: Sorry, that didn't happen yet. But once it does I'll be refining it further from there, depending on feedback from you guys.

INSTALLATION: On PC, 1.4 texture packs are now placed in: Documents\My Games\Terraria\ResourcePacks ...Once it's there, it'll show up listed in your game's 'Texture Packs' menu. Lastly, enable it from 'Available Packs' as shown in the above picture. The moment you hit the 'back' button, you should immediately see the difference!

IF 1.4 IS YOUR FIRST TIME INSTALLING THIS: You will need an additional file to get the most out of this texture pack.
This is also an unconventional mod -- you'll need to install the 'Water File' below manually where you installed Terraria itself. My folder for this file is here:

This is needed in order to enhance the color of standard water -- you must overwrite a file in this folder called "water_0.xnb". I also help guide you to this location in the download file itself. I recommend backing up the original "water_0.xnb" somewhere safe if you ever wish to revert to the original water later on.

I added this file at the bottom of this post for convenience, but it's the same exact file in the first post. Those who had Terraria installed with Better Ambiance prior to 1.4 won't need to do this, as 1.4 didn't replace anything there. This will all be more organized in first post once I update the full 1.4 version of the pai move
i did everything and it don't work

i did everything and it don't work
If you're looking to get help, it's to your benefit to be a LOT more specific as to the actual problem you're having. I'm going to assume you can't get the texture pack to show up in-game.

IF you're playing Terraria on PC, have Terraria updated properly, AND have texture packs enabled and installed it correctly, the most common reason for this is your file locations may be different than indicated in the install directions. If that's the case, look for similar folders that have the same structure, and see if you can activate it from there.

Otherwise, you've installed incorrectly. Also if you haven't, try reading the other posts in this thread to see if you made the same mistake someone else did. ;)

If you're looking to get help, it's to your benefit to be a LOT more specific as to the actual problem you're having. I'm going to assume you can't get the texture pack to show up in-game.

IF you're playing Terraria on PC, have Terraria updated properly, AND have texture packs enabled and installed it correctly, the most common reason for this is your file locations may be different than indicated in the install directions. If that's the case, look for similar folders that have the same structure, and see if you can activate it from there.

Otherwise, you've installed incorrectly. Also if you haven't, try reading the other posts in this thread to see if you made the same mistake someone else did. ;)
i installed it correctly but it does not show up. or i did mistake?? please tell me edit: post got locked??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom