FAR TOO MANY NERFS

lesnor

Spazmatism
Why are you punishing us for playing? So many unwarranted nerfs you have nion broken the game. Why punish for having lots of npcs? Why punish for fishing? it already is tedius. Why punish for wanting to build an afk farm? Do you have something aginst players wanting to play their way? Forcing nerfs that where not needed nor wanted. What a let down of an update and a huge FU to depart on too. THANKS ALOT. Im all for changes but not forced on us like this. Let people play how they want if they want to skip so be it who you think you are? our progresion god forcing us to conform.

Last edited:
honestly who cares they do it because they don’t want terraria to look easy and they add new op strats to make up for the nerfs it took them about 5 years to make this and it people like you who act as if they don’t have life to have you even seen the desert over haul or the pylons they easily make up for the nerfs don’t even get me started on the blood moon and lava fishing

Because being able to easily skip the entire mining portion of prehardmode was stupid and something needed to be done about it.

You can still have NPCs live close to each other. There is just an incentive to spread them out now.

They are not “breaking the game,” but quite the opposite.

tbh, meteor, crate and reaver shark nerfs are only approppriate, especially the latter. I've always thought that fishing was kind of overpowered and given too much attention for a mechanic that's not even challenging nor engaging, consisting of basically waiting and clicking sometimes like in a time-waster idle game.

According to the forums here, you were not playing this single player sandbox game correctly. Just keep an eye out and read some of these posts and you will learn the right way to play. Apparently it involves having to enjoy taking the most mind numbing path through pre-hardmode every single time you play through the game. Like to get through pre-hardmode as quickly as possible to enjoy hardmode? Nope, wrong, you will kill every boss the hard way, and mine every block and ore. Do you enjoy fishing up that reaver, so you can go get some summons that will actually help you kill stuff as a summoner? Nope, fishing is not fun, plus they gave you a blind bird to use with your summoner, anything else and they feel that it will take away from your experience of your 500th playthrough of this single player sandbox game.

According to the forums here, you were not playing this single player sandbox game correctly. Just keep an eye out and read some of these posts and you will learn the right way to play. Apparently it involves having to enjoy taking the most mind numbing path through pre-hardmode every single time you play through the game. Like to get through pre-hardmode as quickly as possible to enjoy hardmode? Nope, wrong, you will kill every boss the hard way, and mine every block and ore. Do you enjoy fishing up that reaver, so you can go get some summons that will actually help you kill stuff as a summoner? Nope, fishing is not fun, plus they gave you a blind bird to use with your summoner, anything else and they feel that it will take away from your experience of your 500th playthrough of this single player sandbox game.

If you can't enjoy what the game is all about - gear progression, mining, boss fights - than I think you're at the wrong game. :) But you can still take it easy with journey mode.

If you can't enjoy what the game is all about - gear progression, mining, boss fights - than I think you're at the wrong game. :) But you can still take it easy with journey mode.

Being able to skip pre-hardmode has nothing to do with not enjoying gear progression, mining OR boss fights, it's about being able to control how you, as a player, want to enjoy a game you probably played through multiple times before.
And Hardmode is just more fun overall anyways. Enemies actually dropping cool things, more variation, actual proper class setups, etc. IF the game implemented an option to start a world already in Hardmode I'd definitely use it.

tbh, meteor, crate and reaver shark nerfs are only approppriate, especially the latter. I've always thought that fishing was kind of overpowered and given too much attention for a mechanic that's not even challenging nor engaging, consisting of basically waiting and clicking sometimes like in a time-waster idle game.

I honestly think the first two were worse offenders than the shark, but in either case, I'd have preferred the Reaver Shark to get the same treatment as the meteor so that it only appears after EoW/BoC so it can retain its pickaxe power and its usefulness.
Right now it's pointless trash that anyone with a gold/platinum pickaxe can safely throw at their vendor of choice since it's worse than either of those two.

Because being able to easily skip the entire mining portion of prehardmode was stupid and something needed to be done about it.

You can still skip that, though. You can go straight to the WoF with some jungle armor, a strong enough weapon like a demon scythe and some accessories from chests and you're good to go. No mining and no killing bosses needed at all.

To incentivise mining, the gold/platinum sets (and possibly tungsten/silver as well) could really use a bit of a cost reduction so that you can actually get those sets before boss fights. Mining enough of those ores with a shoddy, slow pickaxe just takes ages and I always end up with every bit of chest loot, all heart crystals and everything else I could possibly want from the underground before getting enough gold/platinum for the armor set.

"you gotta mine for armor to progress now" is both incorrect and also just plain... how do I put this? The rare metals are well... rare, and while I can see iron or lead comfortably having enough ore to get armored up, as you go up to the better metal armors the bar costs get positively prohibitive, especially in multiplayer. There's a reason the Reaver Shark was so popular, folks: pre hardmode mining for armor is a soul crushing chore.

I honestly think the first two were worse offenders than the shark, but in either case, I'd have preferred the Reaver Shark to get the same treatment as the meteor so that it only appears after EoW/BoC so it can retain its pickaxe power and its usefulness.
Right now it's pointless trash that anyone with a gold/platinum pickaxe can safely throw at their vendor of choice since it's worse than either of those two.

You can still skip that, though. You can go straight to the WoF with some jungle armor, a strong enough weapon like a demon scythe and some accessories from chests and you're good to go. No mining and no killing bosses needed at all.

To incentivise mining, the gold/platinum sets (and possibly tungsten/silver as well) could really use a bit of a cost reduction so that you can actually get those sets before boss fights. Mining enough of those ores with a shoddy, slow pickaxe just takes ages and I always end up with every bit of chest loot, all heart crystals and everything else I could possibly want from the underground before getting enough gold/platinum for the armor set.
I had full platinum armor and weapons before I had my HP maxed out, and am still looking for a magic mirror.

Although I do agree that the armor costs are a bit extreme compared to the costs of the weapons. Perhaps lower the armor costs but raise the weapon costs?

I find skipping the mining portion of prehardmode cheap, especially since I find it one of the best parts of the game. 1.2 and 1.3 did so much to make the early game a lot more fun.

Being able to skip pre-hardmode has nothing to do with not enjoying gear progression, mining OR boss fights, it's about being able to control how you, as a player, want to enjoy a game you probably played through multiple times before.
And Hardmode is just more fun overall anyways. Enemies actually dropping cool things, more variation, actual proper class setups, etc. IF the game implemented an option to start a world already in Hardmode I'd definitely use it.

Skipping pre-hardmode never required the Reaver Shark. You could just transfer a couple of high-tier items into your newly generated world for your newly generated character. All the Reaver Shark did was allow you to avoid doing that.

"you gotta mine for armor to progress now" is both incorrect and also just plain... how do I put this? The rare metals are well... rare, and while I can see iron or lead comfortably having enough ore to get armored up, as you go up to the better metal armors the bar costs get positively prohibitive, especially in multiplayer. There's a reason the Reaver Shark was so popular, folks: pre hardmode mining for armor is a soul crushing chore.

If this were Terraria 1.1, I would agree. But since 1.2, I can't really see that.

I'm not mining for ores in my pre-hardmode game. I'm looking for chests; ores are just the things that happen to be found along the way. I'm also grinding money and hearts, both of which will be useful in the future. I got enough gold to make a full suit of armor, and enough gems to make a (nearly) full wizard set and weapon.

All simply by exploring for other stuff and picking up what could be found along the way.

1.2 increased the density of stuff in world generation that general exploration will mean that you'll encounter lots of chests and loot simply by cutting through the ground. Along the way, you'll find most of the ores you'll need.

Last edited:
I had full platinum armor and weapons before I had my HP maxed out, and am still looking for a magic mirror.

Although I do agree that the armor costs are a bit extreme compared to the costs of the weapons. Perhaps lower the armor costs but raise the weapon costs?

I find skipping the mining portion of prehardmode cheap, especially since I find it one of the best parts of the game. 1.2 and 1.3 did so much to make the early game a lot more fun.
Still lookin for magic mirror? I wish you luck to finding one, I have found 12 underground houses and still no magic mirror on my mobile device.......

Skipping pre-hardmode never required the Reaver Shark. You could just transfer a couple of high-tier items into your newly generated world for your newly generated character. All the Reaver Shark did was allow you to avoid doing that.
I mean, thanks for pointing out the obvious, lol. Not sure why you bothered to pint this out, the whole poing here is being able to do everything from the world itself without having to access external characters or anything.

The reaver shark allowed for just that immediately granting you strong pickaxe power that let you tackle pre-hardmode without having to deal with the terribly slow pickaxe speed, wheter the players would use this to actually take their time pre-hardmode or just rush to gather molten gear and blast WoF was up to them.

Why punish for having lots of npcs?
TBH, I think this is a great change for various reasons. They create more "safe spots" in the world, other than your central base. They basically introduced Pylons just to reward players who spread out the NPCs. I mean teleportation, something that you would need to wait for hardmode, then spend HOURS wiring up the entire thing. Just how many times have you went back and forth from your base to the jungle or the dungeon while looting? All of that is instantly solved if you place those Pylons correctly.
Also, you lose less NPCs this way if you happen to have a boss fight next to a town.

Why punish for fishing? it already is tedius.
If you're talking about the reaver shark, that thing was broken. That was a long overdue nerf. If you're talking about the crates, if you create a safe enough spot to fish, which is even more easier with the new NPC system you can just fish for those crates once you reach hardmode.
(I've never done this method to get the ores, so idk how much about how the crate changes affects this)

Why punish for wanting to build an afk farm? Do you have something aginst players wanting to play their way?
Let people play how they want if they want to skip so be it who you think you are?
That's the very reason why Journey Mode was introduced. To take away the grinding part of the game for those who play casually, or for those who don't like grinding. You can pretty much turn off every option and just use the research part if you feel like it's cheating. Besides, grinding was never mandatory. You can just use items from a different world if you want to. The main point is to have fun, at whatever pace you want.

It feels like you've been a bit misled about the update, especially with the video you linked. All those are nerfs for sure, but there's a whole lot of new mechanics added to make sure it was balanced and still enjoyable.

they gave you a blind bird to use with your summoner
This is mostly a personal opinion, but if yrimir could do a hardcore summon only run, I don't feel like the class is broken, especially with the introduction of whips.

I mean, thanks for pointing out the obvious, lol. Not sure why you bothered to pint this out, the whole poing here is being able to do everything from the world itself without having to access external characters or anything.

I guess my question is why does this distinction matter? Since first beating 1.1 years ago, I always gave myself a Gold pickaxe at the start, so I didn't have to suffer through the slow speed of the starting pickaxes.

Why is it important that the game provide you with an explicit, sanctified mechanism for skipping pre-Hardmode, when you have a perfectly valid mechanism yourself?

I guess my question is why does this distinction matter? Since first beating 1.1 years ago, I always gave myself a Gold pickaxe at the start, so I didn't have to suffer through the slow speed of the starting pickaxes.

Why is it important that the game provide you with an explicit, sanctified mechanism for skipping pre-Hardmode, when you have a perfectly valid mechanism yourself?
Because of the very same reason we discussed in another thread regarding npc happiness: freedom to play however you want. Of course, the argument doesn't translate naturally here because unlike the happiness mechanic, you can actually use an outside source to "fix" this issue like you are implying here. But there's two main issues with this:
1. It's not fun. Getting the reavershark is relatively easy, yes, but you still have to do some exploring to get a decent fishing rode and baits, make your way to the ocean and fish. The power it gives was a bit unbalanced, sure, but it was natural regardless, and took some effort to get it. If I were to cheat the game by providing myself a new pickaxe, I might as well give me a Light pet too like the Fairy and some other stuff. Unless it's a outfit purely for roleplay purposes to look however you want (specially for things like multiplayer or youtube/stream content), then I'd rather not bother.
2. Speedrun purposes.

Those aside, the odds of new players coming across the reaver shark naturally weren't really big. Most people won't bother with fishing that much early on and when they do, they probably won't be farming the ocean, considering the distance and the corruption/crimson and jungle on the way, there's too many distractions and stuff. So if a new player somehow ended up there anyways and still got the fish relatively early enough in the game to be of impact, congratulations to them! That would've been a lot of fun to come across naturally.

I think some tweaking was needed, but i also prefer them making certain things just being harder to get - like Reaver Shark, instead of nerfing it to the ground.

But i have a question about Crates. I always though their purpose wasn't so much about "skipping" tiers, but about avoiding "contaminating" your world too much by smashing altars. What to do now? It may be ok in Normal mode, but for Expert\Master mode then you get those ores whole your world will be "corrupted". It will be very hard to keep Jungles and other bioms intact.

Back
Top Bottom