[Showcase/Project] A Compact Fishing Complex and More

I'd seen on youtube... Khaios, who does pretty builds, that it only required one block of water to form an oasis...

I went and rechecked and it is not certain that he actually left the oasis area before he showed that his one block water = nice pretty teal colour = new oasis

time for more in game testing ^_^

sooo yup, after testing, it takes 20 blocks of water to make an oasis in a desert, if you drop it down to 19 the plants start popping out of existence
the second you add that 20th bucket of water they start appearing again

Last edited:
Exactly, cause if it is set up so that we can get both Desert and Hallow from overlapping biomes, we're golden, and can just add a desert section to the left of the hallow...

but I'm not that far in progression yet as I'm still doing the collect all the things for my R&D ^_^ character

Okay, I got desert working:

Capture 2020-05-22 22_57_53_compressed.png

I'm still pre-hardmode, so I haven't tried out if Hallow works to the left of desert (and haven't gone to another world for crimson for the right yet), but you can see my spacing here if you want desert (in the spot that Hallow normally goes). It was decently easy to test where it was supposed to be because of sand physics.

The terraria wiki currently claims:

Desktop Version
All biomes have equal priority and drops are taken from whatever biome(s) the player are in. For example, if the player is fishing in a corrupt snow biome at the edge of the world, the player would get corruption, snow, and ocean fishing loot tables.

While I don't think that's entirely correct, my testing so far shows that while there does seem to be something akin to biome priority for fishing, it is certainly not the same as what it used to be.

For instance, while fishing in my underground snow biome I catch the usual fish (atlantic cod, frost minnow, frost daggerfish), but I have not gotten any frozen crates since I got the jungle grass fully installed. Instead I get jungle crates while standing in the underground snow spot. But not, I note, any jungle fish. Just jungle crates.

While fishing in the corruption, I get both corruption and crimson hauls as I expect from previous behavior, but I also get frost daggerfish. I have not so far managed to get those while fishing in the crimson. Also, I don't get jungle or frozen crates in either corruption or crimson, so maybe there's just something specifically strange about snow + jungle for crates?

I am rather perplexed.

Edit: for clarity, this is all with the combined complex I showed screenshots before, not "jungle crates in some random tundra area".

Last edited:
That is indeed weird... youd think priorities for fishes and crates would be the same.
If Snow and Jungle are having issues with inversed priorities, we might need to move one of the two to the Hallowed side (so long as doing so does not cause problems with the Oasis/Desert.

As for fishing Frostdagger Fish in the Crimson/Corruption zones, thats normal because the Snow Biome can overlap with either, just that the only crates that will be fished are of the evil biomes because of priorities.

Snow on the other hand replaces Jungle and will not overlap, which is why you wont get Jungle fishes in the Snow spot. Still weird how crates have an inverted priority...

Desert and Snow can overlap with Hallowed, Crimson or Corruption, but not each other.
Crimson and Corruption can overlap with each other.
Ocean can overlap with every biome except the Forest.

Back in pre-1.4 days I noticed that if you had both crimson and corruption then you would get a 50/50 split of the fish but (as the Wiki says) corruption would take priority and you would only get corruption crates. I also noticed with this hybrid you would only catch tokicarp weapons and never blade tongues. Because of this, you should always put crimson first and then corruption. That is strange, however, with the reversed priorities of jungle/frozen crates that @esotericist found.

There’s a similar priority issue with the desert/hallowed hybrid where you will never catch oasis crates and, in my experiments, never get oysters so @Tom_’s setup has that flaw.

I was able to get oasis crates, oysters, rock lobsters and flounders by floating 1500 sandstone blocks *above* the complex, kind of like how the mushroom biome used to be above in an older 1.3.5 fishing complex. The weird thing is that I needed to get a spacing of 64 tiles above rather than the 60 tiles vertically that other biomes seem to take. Pictures and a new world forth-coming.

I am still having trouble with the mushroom biome and I think some work still has to be done to prepare for blood moon fishing battles (maybe just raising the ceiling?)

:merchantwhat:

EDIT In retrospect, the setup @Tom_ has *might* work if his hallow is to the left of the desert giving you, 1st, hallow/desert (catching rock lobsters and flounders as well as hallowed catches) and, 2nd, pure desert. As @NeoPhantom suggests, some other shifting to the hallowed side could fix the problem with no frozen crates.

Last edited:
In my setup I get the snow quest fish and other snow fish while standing under the white marker and I also get the freezing debuff if I go in the water there, but the jungle music plays and the water is jungle colored.

EDIT In retrospect, the setup @Tom_ has *might* work if his hallow is to the left of the desert giving you, 1st, hallow/desert (catching rock lobsters and flounders as well as hallowed catches) and, 2nd, pure desert.

That is my plan, I'll post here once I get it set up after I enter hardmode.

In my setup I get the snow quest fish and other snow fish while standing under the white marker and I also get the freezing debuff if I go in the water there, but the jungle music plays and the water is jungle colored.

that's been the case since fishing went in. as noted in the original post at the beginning of this thread, music/background/visual effects priority is a separate thing.

edit: meant to comment on this as well:

I am still having trouble with the mushroom biome and I think some work still has to be done to prepare for blood moon fishing battles (maybe just raising the ceiling?)

For my purposes, because i do summoner stuff, I slightly raised the ceiling and made a box with doors right next to (and slightly higher than) where we used to have the mushroom biome fishing platform.

peek out, drop line, back up, let door autoclose (fantastic feature), fish up spite, let it die slowly below. Was MUCH easier once I got sentries from Old One's Army.

Suspect hardmode is going to require some rather different handling, though; glancing at the wiki suggests that mobility will be much more important between the miniboss and the worm-type enemy.

Last edited:
Oh, speaking of Bloodmoon fishing... to have an Ocean spot in the complex for the Dreadnautilus while retaining the Forest spot is possible, though requiring a precise location.

To fish in the ocean, it has two requirements:

1) 1000 blocks of water (easily solved by increasing the depth of the pool). With all 9 spots at length of 5, thats a depth of 23. If going for an even number for chest placement, 9x6 it just needs a depth of 19.

2) The bobber must be in the ocean biome just like with the depth being calculated by the bobber not the player. (according to the Compass on a large world the Ocean spot must be from 7644 onwards)

I never bothered to check on medium or small worlds, so sorry for not having a precise number.

Last edited:
With the Hallow overpowering the Oasis, the order of the pools would be the following if including everything:

Hallow > Oasis > Jungle > Glowing Mushroom > Forest < Ocean < Snow < Crimson < Corruption

With Sky and Dungeon having individual fishing spots and a separate Cavern layer pool.

Of course the Glowing Mushroom can be located after the Ocean in place of the original location of Jungle or above the complex as with the original design.

Note: its best to move the Jungle because it can be destroyed by the Evil biomes but not by the Hallow.

Last edited:

That is my plan, I'll post here once I get it set up after I enter hardmode.
Could you give a rough idea of measurements for this?
I had one working but when I went to hardmode it got overtaken by hallow

I just created and tested this today. Everything seems to be working, though I couldn't get Glowing Mushrooms to work. I originally put 300 glowing mushroom grass 44 tiles above with a separate platform (like the original), then tried 1500. Couldn't seem to get the mushroom fishing quest.

The right side is placed in priority from my testing: Jungle > Snow > Corruption~Crimson

terraria_1.4_allinone.png

Could you attempt to fish Frozen/Boreal and Hallowed/Divine Crates in that setup to confirm the problem with crates in the latest version?

Could you attempt to fish Frozen/Boreal and Hallowed/Divine Crates in that setup to confirm the problem with crates in the latest version?
Forgot to check crates. I stood in the ice biome (third torch from the right) and was catching ice fish, but just like previously mentioned, was getting jungle crates. I hopped one more to the right (corruption biome) and was able to loot corruption crates.

Something maybe significant is the wiki entry for Jungle and Snow biomes: "The Jungle will always be located on the opposite side of the map from the Snow biome and Dungeon." This makes me think they're mutually exclusive somehow. Like they may share fish pools, but biome specialty drops give priority to jungle. Another possibility is what side of the map you're on. I tried to make mine in the center, but perhaps it was closer to the jungle half of the map? I doubt that, but just thinking out loud.

My next change is swapping biome palcements in hopes of separating jungle and snow far enough away.

You might want to swap Crimson and Corruption, as crate priority means you will be unable to get Crimson Crates.

This design can likely be optimized, but I tested every biome save for crimson and corruption, as those were 'known'.

terraria_1.4_allinone_v2.png

I was able to get every biome's crate, save for crimson (as corruption out-prioritized it).

From left to right:
Hallow -- Jungle -- Desert -- Forest -- Snow -- Corruption -- Crimson

I didn't know about the corruption/crimson priority (Corruption > Crimson?), so maybe flipping those will perfect this.

Regardless it's past 2 AM here so I need to sleep. This can definitely be beautified. No idea how to get it to work with glowing mushrooms, as I tried moving them past the detection area (44 blocks above) and it was still showing mushroom background, yet never getting mushroom fish. Maybe I was just unlucky.

If the wiki is correct, youll need 1500 for the Glowing Mushroom instead of the usual 200. The background may change with less, but the fish wont drop without that absurd number of Glowing biome blocks...
At least the mushrooms themselves also count towards this number.

Back
Top Bottom