tModLoader Research from 1.4 in Terraria 1.3.5

JPAN

Steampunker
I looked around, and there is no rule for recreating content from newer versions in older versions, so I decided to make this mod.

Using my Rare Item Swap mod as a backbone, and the Journey mode Research system as a base for the content, I managed to create a working version of the Research system from Terraria 1.4 for tModLoader.

The mod adds an Hotkey that only works if the inventory is open (by default "Add"). Once you press it, you will be greeted with this screen:
Research 1.png

Like I said before, the UI is a copy of the Rare Item Swap UI, with a twist: under the "Research Item" Slot and above the Category select is the amount of items you still need to research the item.

Research 2.png
Research 3.png

Place an item in the Research Slot (shift-clicking will work) and then press the research button. This will add the item stack to the Researched table. If you have enough researched then...
Research 4.png

You will research the item. The remainder will be kept safe in the Research Slot.
By default, this will also unlock all items you can craft with that item, or using that item as a crafting station. This can be disabled in the config.

In order to make it the most mod-compatible possible, this system tries to group items together and give them a token research value. By default, those are:
- Items with max stack 1 will require 1 item to research. Base values will never be higher than their max stack.
- Quest-rarity items (Quest fish and Strange plants in vanilla) have a requirement of 2 pieces.
- Coins require 100 of each, while custom currencies (as long as they are registered as a currency) take 50.
- Walls require 400.
- Acorns require 50.
- Items that placed take more than 1 tile are considered furniture, and require 1 piece.
- Exception being items whose name ends with "Crate", that require 10. This is done to make Fishing Crates require 10 of each.
- Items placeable on tables even with 1x1 size will be considered furniture, and require 1 each. This includes the Bottle.
- Platforms require 200 if they can be crafted, 20 otherwise.
- Items that place tiles ended in " Bar" require 25. This was made so that Metal bars require 25 to craft.
- Items that place tiles ended in " Seed" or " Seeds" require 25 as well.
- All other tiles require 100 each to research. This includes most building blocks, woods and others.
- Life crystals, Mana crystals and life fruits require 10 pieces to be researched.
- Fallen stars require 20
- Boss bags and Boss summon items require 3 to be researched. This mod includes an experimental feature to detect mod summon items based on use style, use time and max stack. It it not working as intended, feel free to disable it in the config.
- Critters and bait require 5.
- Dyes and dye materials require 3. It checks if it is a dye material by checking recipes results for dyes.
- Items that grant buffs (potions and food) require 20 to be researched.
- Healing and mana recovery items require 30 to research.
- Ammo and stackable weapons require either 99 or their max stack to research.
- If it doesn't fit in any other place, it requires 25 to be researched. This includes most materials and drops.

Don't like this research amounts? You can change that! The first mod config adds an option to multiply all research counts by any multiple of 0.2, so you can change the research amounts from 20% of the original to 10000% of the original. Setting this value to 0 will make all items require 1 to be researched.

Also included is a config that allows you to set custom values to items from any mod. Use this to correct items values or set them to your liking. You can also add them to any category you want as well.

Q&A
Q: Will this mod be updated when tModLoader reaches Terraria 1.4?
A: No. This mod is just for Terraria 1.3.5.x. I will make a mod that enables the recipe-based research for 1.4 however.

Q: Will you backport X feature from 1.4 as well?
A: I have no intention to backport any other feature. This includes the rest of the Journey mode powers.

Is it normal the game freezes for a few seconds? The fist time happened upon opening the UI for the very first time. Now it does when loading the world, There are no crashes, the game just freezes for about 8 to 10 seconds.

Edit: Freeze happens when selecting player not loading the world,

Is it normal the game freezes for a few seconds? The fist time happened upon opening the UI for the very first time. Now it does when loading the world, There are no crashes, the game just freezes for about 8 to 10 seconds.

Edit: Freeze happens when selecting player not loading the world,
The mod does all the loading at player load/First opening the UI, so lower-end computers may freeze for a few seconds. Also depends on the number of mods you have. More items = more freezing time at first load.

Also, update released:
V1.1 Changelog
- Added Lots of default exceptions for blocks and items from vanilla, and some from Thorium and Calamity if those are detected.
- Added option (on by default) to not consume ammo or consumables (blocks, potions, etc) if they were fully researched previously.

I like this mod alot, was wondering how long it would be til 1.4 is on tmodloader to play journey mode and try out research with mods, this is awesome. Nice work, only issue I have is sometimes the binding for bringing up the menu doesn't work and you have to rebind the keybind again to make the menu work again.

Edit: I didn't realize you have to have your crafting menu open to open the research menu it works just fine my bad.

Last edited:
I like this mod alot, was wondering how long it would be til 1.4 is on tmodloader to play journey mode and try out research with mods, this is awesome. Nice work, only issue I have is sometimes the binding for bringing up the menu doesn't work and you have to rebind the keybind again to make the menu work again.
They already said this wont be releasing for 1.4, and for tmodloader, it'll be a WHILE before it even comes out. It's the very first question in his Q&A.

The mod does all the loading at player load/First opening the UI, so lower-end computers may freeze for a few seconds. Also depends on the number of mods you have. More items = more freezing time at first load.

Also, update released:
V1.1 Changelog
- Added Lots of default exceptions for blocks and items from vanilla, and some from Thorium and Calamity if those are detected.
- Added option (on by default) to not consume ammo or consumables (blocks, potions, etc) if they were fully researched previously.
Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to make the UI work with autopause on?

They already said this wont be releasing for 1.4, and for tmodloader, it'll be a WHILE before it even comes out. It's the very first question in his Q&A.
Oh I didn't mean I was wondering when this specific mod was coming to 1.4, but rather when 1.4 tmodloader would be ready to play.

Oh I didn't mean I was wondering when this specific mod was coming to 1.4, but rather when 1.4 tmodloader would be ready to play.
Ah okay, well yeah unfortunately all of us are kind of in limbo when it comes to that. A lot of the devs are playing 1.4 to begin with, but then it's basically going to be like building tModloader from the ground up more or less. It's definitely gonna take a while, I'd play 1.4 or use the branch path of 1.3.5 to enjoy stuff for right now, or just sorta wait it out

Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to make the UI work with autopause on?
Sorry, I never play with autopause on, so I didn't get that. Due to the way key presses are handled in tModLoader, the best I could do was add a config option to allow the key to open the inventory with the research screen open, allowing you to use it that way. You just can't open or close the menu with the hotkey when autopause is on and you are in the inventory.

V 1.1.1 Changelog
Added ability to allow the button to open the inventory/ work outside of inventory, to allow bringing up the research menu while autopause is on.

Does this work with modded items?
Yes because he put in some rules such as if an ore set to 100, if a bar set to 25, it may take some adjusting in the config to find a suitable amount, but there should be a value for everything
if I understand correctly.

Does this work with modded items?
I threw myself in and researched the starter bag from calamity, works like a charm right off the bat. Only thing about it that's really even wrong is the UI but it may just be an early build to get it out, would love to see it polished because this works so seemlessly.

It has been working flawlessly so far, but I went to restart my server tday and I cant log back into any world (in multiplayer only) with my character, it just stays on "Sending player data". Works fine in singleplayer. Any ideas? Server log doesnt say anything besides the autoshutdown starting after the 2min timeout...

Could you possibly add a scroll bar to the green window? After you research a lot of items most of them get cut off the bottom of the page forcing you to resize the window to see them. After a certain point you just can't see them no matter how big the window is

Also resizing the window lags the game for as long as you hold left click

It has been working flawlessly so far, but I went to restart my server tday and I cant log back into any world (in multiplayer only) with my character, it just stays on "Sending player data". Works fine in singleplayer. Any ideas? Server log doesnt say anything besides the autoshutdown starting after the 2min timeout...
I've been testing the mod in multiplayer (even though it's host and play) and only encountered this issue with the update I will be launching tomorrow (If I can fix this bug). For me, it was because it was loading null values at startup. But the value causing it did not exist in the published version. Can you still load the world in singleplayer?

Could you possibly add a scroll bar to the green window? After you research a lot of items most of them get cut off the bottom of the page forcing you to resize the window to see them. After a certain point you just can't see them no matter how big the window is

Also resizing the window lags the game for as long as you hold left click
The lag when resizing is kinda unavoidable, as it rebuilds the display list in any change to the size. But you can use the Scroll Wheel to scroll up or down on both the category and Item display panel. The scroll bar is just invisible because I wasn't able to make it change when clicked and dragged around.

Also, I'll be testing an update that will allow players in multiplayer to exchange research knowledge. Next update will be when that's fully tested.

I've been testing the mod in multiplayer (even though it's host and play) and only encountered this issue with the update I will be launching tomorrow (If I can fix this bug). For me, it was because it was loading null values at startup. But the value causing it did not exist in the published version. Can you still load the world in singleplayer?

The lag when resizing is kinda unavoidable, as it rebuilds the display list in any change to the size. But you can use the Scroll Wheel to scroll up or down on both the category and Item display panel. The scroll bar is just invisible because I wasn't able to make it change when clicked and dragged around.

Also, I'll be testing an update that will allow players in multiplayer to exchange research knowledge. Next update will be when that's fully tested.

Yep, I can load it in singleplayer without a problem, also if I open it as a dedicated server, my buddy can join with his character no problem but cant join with mine either

Last edited:
OK, new update, adding new features and a very important bug fix.

V1.2 Changelog
- Added the Research Sharing Book, obtainable from the research ui, that allows you to give your knowledge of items to someone else. Right-clicking it if you are the creator will display (in chat) the amount of items you have currently researched. Right-clicking it when you are someone other than the creator will give you its knowledge. Due to how it was programmed, the book is only useful during the same gaming session it was created on. This is to prevent Item ID conflicts when you change up your mods. So, if you want to use it, share it as soon as you create it. It's free, after all.
- Added the Research Erasing Book, a black book that erases your current knowledge completely (except for the Sharing and Erasing books). Dangerous, but useful if you want to start over with the same character.
- Fixed a Packet Overflow that would lead to not being able to load a character in multiplayer if you knew too much stuff. Thanks to @Switchee for the report and help fixing the bug.

I can't seem to get this mod to work. I started a new save with only this mod enabled to make sure it wasn't conflicting with anything; however, when I open my inventory and press the hotkey ( tried reassigning it to make sure nothing else used that hotkey ) nothing happens.

I can't seem to get this mod to work. I started a new save with only this mod enabled to make sure it wasn't conflicting with anything; however, when I open my inventory and press the hotkey ( tried reassigning it to make sure nothing else used that hotkey ) nothing happens.
Are you sure you don't have autopause on? if so, you need to enable the config option to open the inventory with the Research UI ("Hotkey works outside inventory") and then click on the hotkey while the inventory is still closed.

Back
Top Bottom