Blocks & Decoration Renovate some block behaviour in Journey's End to prevoius or alternate it.

Exodus Starlit

Dungeon Spirit
In previous two spoilers (propably Master mode and NPC happiness spoilers) I saw that Stone Slab literally merges with almost everyblock (not to Sandstone Slab because they have same block tile texture), reasons why Platins and Slabs are used not because of their unique block placement but too that they don't blend(merge) with any blocks, and it for good reason, Slabs and Copper Plating have very smooth and soft shading would clash with other types of blocks and bricks.

Maybe it not too much relatable with Crystal Blocks, but was it so neccessary to change behaviour of Crystal Blocks too? Before, their behaviour with other block was so unique that you wouldn't see any other blocks that behave like that. Only thing sad thing about that was that it was separated with dirt block, but found solittion of using Living Wood wand, so that didn't bother me too much.

Not only those things, they are large blocks for reasons so they stick out. These blocks were implemented so they are harder to use and reward those who use them properly, like you have to use smooth surface block like Bereal Wood, ...

That change behaviour is ridiculous, it will ruin (some) already made buildings, and that change was not even necessary and needed. These behaviours of Block should be kept, because they make more playability with building.

walloutlinetoblockssuggestionwith white background.png

(used white background to see change properly)

If you want to keep the change, it is at least possible to use "Wall_Outline"? That thing that is used between two different walls, to make them look more separated so it doesn't look so ridiculous?
(Still don't want that change to Crystal Blocks.)

(See that thing bellow? Yeah, that thing is "Wall_Outline", it not that much possible to notice it.
Wall_Outline.png

I used even used the example of Glass Block, they are so clear, when they surounded by block, you can't much see the texture of the Glass Texture and you even see outline, this suggestion of using "Wall_Outline" would make it better block to use.

That's everything I have to sasy right now. You can make the change some day after Journey's End, I would like to see it coming back (or slighty modified) as other builders.

Attachments

• walloutlinetoblockssuggestion.png
    walloutlinetoblockssuggestion.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I personally don't really mind stone slab merging with stone and stuff, if anything, that aspect of it that it studdornly refuses to merge with anything, annoyed me since ages. But I do agree that there could be builds where that aspect of it makes it preferable,

So... thinking about it, rather than "change it this and this way!"
how about having a "stone slab" that behaves like as we saw it on the spoilers, merging with blocks. and an "ancient stone slab" (so, in the same naming fashion as other artifact items from previous versions, like ancient cobalt armor) variant you could craft from stone, or stone slab or whatever, which works exactly as it works right now, not merging with anything. same can go for crystal block too.

I personally don't really mind stone slab merging with stone and stuff, if anything, that aspect of it that it studdornly refuses to merge with anything, annoyed me since ages. But I do agree that there could be builds where that aspect of it makes it preferable,

how about having a "stone slab" that behaves like as we saw it on the spoilers, merging with blocks. and an "ancient stone slab" (so, in the same naming fashion as other artifact items from previous versions, like ancient cobalt armor) variant you could craft from stone, or stone slab or whatever, which works exactly as it works right now, not merging with anything. same can go for crystal block too.
That sound tbh honest bad, that is why I suggested if they want to change it , so it at least could use Wall_Outline, so it doesn't look that way, will it more emerged into other blocks and doesn't ruin their appearnce too much.
Adding two types of same looking block is bad design and suggestion, work better for armors, because of their apperance.

I was speaking in way of builders who already made building using their behaviour for reason,
like this one: https://external-preview.redd.it/Ob...bp&s=a2be931cdc4b283ff6159f44d0bc2c1fc0e00999

What if you could just choose what blocks you want to be merged, via a tool in the game or otherwise? The base merging system should be the one that you proposed, but players could choose what blocks they want to merge.

What if you could just choose what blocks you want to be merged, via a tool in the game or otherwise? The base merging system should be the one that you proposed, but players could choose what blocks they want to merge.
That seems to be more viable option, but will it work to be honest? I personaly don't know too much,

I'm not quite sure whether it would really work if players could choose them, it would bring up some questions regarding multiplayer and stuff.

I don't know why would you outright refuse the idea of having a new, and an ancient version of a block? The new could have outline or not, I dunno, but that still would make it merge with other blocks so if you want to use it exactly because if does not merges, then you wouldn't be able to do so.

And there are several instences of same-looking block, for several reasons. To begin with there's sandstone slab, which looks very similar to stone slab except the color, and if you paint it gray, it will look nearly identical. but they don't merge with each others either, so exactly because of that, they have their uses in some builds. And there are other examples too, like how the game threats player-placed lizhard brick walls different from natural ones in that regards that they won't spawn enemies - but they still look exactly the same.

So... why would it be a bad option, if there would be an ancient stone slab that does not merges, and a normal one, that merges with blocks...?

why would it be a bad option, if there would be an ancient stone slab that does not merges, and a normal one, that merges with blocks...?
Personally I hate stone slab behavior, I'm glad they're fixing it.

The possible reason why Stone Slab looks similiar to Sandstone Slab because they don't have same colour pallette so they don't have same reaction to the paint, same goes to the Gray, Snow and Red Bricks. And point of naturally spawned and player placed wall is totally different, you don't have trully access to them in game as the item that you can use and don't have different behaviour visually.

We don't know behaviour of Sandstone Slab to other different blocks, so it trully what you actually doesn't possibly solve anything,..

This why it's important they have them untacted, or keep the change with small suggested modificaton to make them similiar to previous version.
These types of of block is small amount, to be in favour of the change, and it is why I said it rewarding you when you use them properly, not like let me use them like it's nothing and then say they look like garbage.

I know it's important to have opinion, but I don't see them viable as those builders used them.
And Lord Galak, because how theyy lok they don't fixed.
Hey, the more customization in building, the better.
Yeahh I know and it's why why I like your opinion more than others, I had to image it using in the game, if it would work properly,...

That change behaviour is ridiculous, it will ruin (some) already made buildings, and that change was not even necessary and needed. These behaviours of Block should be kept, because they make more playability with building.

Jup. My old world looks worse now. ESPECIALLY because gemspark blocks are just plain colors now. Example by other Terrarian. I don't know what the thought process behind this was (if there even was one). Someone from Re-Logic pointed out that this was intended and had something to do with a code change regarding merg behavior but this doesn't justify the change for me.

To keep both options is a good idea but I agree with what other Terrarian have said. It would make the game even more complicated and you would have to restore old builds by replacing all blocks with ancient blocks. Little bit tedious.

They either have to revert it or make outlines like Exodus Starlit proposed.

It appears so, that they changed the old stone slab to merge now, and added something like an ancient stone slab, exactly because those things that OP talked about too. in fact, I wonder if this thead does anything with that? I think it's especially cool, if it's because of this thread or something. Anyway, I think it's best to have both options.

It's true that it might alters/ruins old builds though. I can imagine that is a pain, but if someone really wants, I think with block swap, it's easier to restore those things too, how they looked before.

I personally don't really mind stone slab merging with stone and stuff, if anything, that aspect of it that it studdornly refuses to merge with anything, annoyed me since ages.
Opening with this quote is counter productive. It makes relogic staff think they've done something right when they changed the nature of blocks compared to old versions.

Builders love to see how their new builds look in the environment of new patches, not to see them straight out changed into fused messes.

Definitly cool that they added this but I still don't understand the reason behind it. Why not make it the other way around and not f*ck over some builders? Also there still are alot of different blocks with the exact same :red:ty merging behaviour. Whats with Dynasty Wood or even more important Gemspark Blocks? Are we getting accent variants of the as well?

It's true that it might alters/ruins old builds though. I can imagine that is a pain, but if someone really wants, I think with block swap, it's easier to restore those things too, how they looked before.
The block replacement def. comes in handy here but only if you can reach the block.

They absolutely should have reverse it to have new stone slab versions to blend rather than have what we have now. A lot of my builds don't look right and as I intended.

I'm livid about the block changes. I'm generally unhappy about a lot of the changes in this update, but most of them are personal disagreements I have with the balance and changes made in existing weapons, but whatever, that's my opinion.

I, however think that there is no debate about the new block behavior. It's literally enough for me to completely stop playing the game.

I want to build so badly, but with the new block changes, It just makes me angry that relogic has made this decision

@Exodus Starlit Leinfors has stated on a megathread that this will not be changed and there won't even be additional accent blocks added to remedy this issue.

He has also said that the coding was changed to force blocks to merge with one another.

I really do think relogic dropped the ball big time in these block changes. Quite frankly, it's very out of touch for them to make these changes. It's not empathetic to builders at all.

If there's any chance of fixing this obvious issue, I'm down to support every person who has problems with this, because I want to build like I did before.

I don't want to abandon projects all because of this patch

Personally I hate stone slab behavior, I'm glad they're fixing it.
This is very unhelpful. You are directly against a legitimate problem builders had by shaking up the status quo which has remained the same for 7 major patches since namely, the slab blocks were added in.

by extension, changing up the status quo of gemspark blocks too.

They changed the code directly for whatever out of touch reason they thought was right to suit people who aren't as dedicated to building.

To everyone in this thread - people are entitled to an opinion on this, whatever it may be. Please do not have a go at other forum members just because you don't agree with them.
You are welcome to have a balanced discussion on the matter, but if any group continues to slam another simply for having a dissenting opinion we will be forced to close this thread.

@Exodus Starlit Leinfors has stated on a megathread that this will not be changed and there won't even be additional accent blocks added to remedy this issue.
I particaly didn't expected them to add Accent Stone Slab,
I personaly would like previous Crystal Block (something with name like Bordered Crytsal Block, if, it was good to have some of them in the building to highlight some parts, not making it too separated like with Accent Stone Slab.
I personaly don't think it was a bug, if it was a bug, they would fix it propably in previous version 1.3.5 with trully released Crystal furniture, just find is suspisious.

When this issue is explained to people without knowledge about the block merging changes, many of them agree that it was wrong to adjust what remained the same for so long.

I suggested on a megathread that they should add a sandstone accent block to resolve the issue of merging sandstone slab, Leinfors said there wasn't a plan to add more accent blocks.

When you showcased how additional blocks changed their behavior in this current patch, I realized that it's likely not enough to add more accents and better to just revert to the old mechanics and coding.

I highly disagree, the new mechanics have allowed me to do stuff I wasnt able to do back in 1.3, sandstone slab and stone slab have the almost the same texture, only difference is one is brighter than the other (This allows me to implement specific effects and detailing, as seen in the image I've posted below). Initially I didn't like the new changes made to the blending behaviour to some blocks, but these new additions are a huge improvement and it doesn't really bother me as the only tile I really cared about was stone slab which got its accent variant to keep its old behaviour, yes, some blocks were best left the way they did before the update, and I'd love to have accent variants for all tiles, but this would most likely be just more work on devs, work that would only satisfy a small amount of people who play the game.
..png

These changes were made to satisfy the majority of people who played terraria, who found certain blocks that didnt blend with other tiles plain ugly or just useless, reason for which im against these changes being reverted, its only fair the majority gets satisfied. As I stated above, would it be great to get accent variants for all blocks? yes, it would be. I'd love to have such new additions and It'd be the best case scenario we could possibly get, keeping it fair in all ends and satisfying both "basic" and "advanced" builders but it'd still be more work on the devs.

Back
Top Bottom