tModLoader Research from 1.4 in Terraria 1.3.5

I've been testing the mod in multiplayer (even though it's host and play) and only encountered this issue with the update I will be launching tomorrow (If I can fix this bug). For me, it was because it was loading null values at startup. But the value causing it did not exist in the published version. Can you still load the world in singleplayer?

The lag when resizing is kinda unavoidable, as it rebuilds the display list in any change to the size. But you can use the Scroll Wheel to scroll up or down on both the category and Item display panel. The scroll bar is just invisible because I wasn't able to make it change when clicked and dragged around.

Also, I'll be testing an update that will allow players in multiplayer to exchange research knowledge. Next update will be when that's fully tested.
I originally posted that because the scroll wheel wasn't working. That said, my entire Terraria client is broken now (vanilla included) so i can't get in-game to confirm this.
EDIT:
Fixed my game and can confirm, scroll wheel does not work. If the amount of items on the page is more than the window can hold there is no way to see the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
This mod is great, it works perfectly with all the mods I play with

2 things I would like to see added would be the option to change the color of the text when hovering over the item that tells me how much I have left to research, as it would make the text easier to distinguish. The other thing would be a revamp to the UI if possible, if a revamped UI is out of the question then that's okay because the current one works fine, but I feel both of these things would go a long way for the polish and overall quality of life for this mod

Absolutely fantastic, the "prevent consuming potions/ammo" is a great addition. I also love the additional categories such as "Wire or Traps", something I thought 1.4 was missing, and the research book is an amazing idea to save time in multiplayer games. Thank you very much for making this!

I have a few questions/requests though:
By default, this will also unlock all items you can craft with that item, or using that item as a crafting station. This can be disabled in the config.
(1) Reading this sounds like "if you research a torch you will automatically unlock all variants of torch" or "researching an Iron Bar will research all the mechanical worms", but I researched gel and didn't notice anything different (though I disabled the option shortly after). Can you clarify this?

(2) What's the difference between "Material"/"Materials" categories and "Tile"/"Tiles"? Also, "Materials" doesn't seem to include much (and "Material" has nothing yet) - from near the start of a new game, it only has a few accessories and the Umbrella, whereas I've definitely researched Wood, Chests, Gel, etc.

Mostly a bunch of requests to make it more on-par with 1.4 (differences between this and 1.4) although I understand there's no need for an exact copy:
(3) Request: Is it possible to either automatically send the item back to your inventory after researching or allow shift-clicking it out of the research window back to your inventory? (1.4 has both of these features, although if your inventory is full after researching it remains in the slot)
(4) Request: Is it possible to shift-click an item in your inventory and swap it with the research-slot item? (e.g. a torch is in the Research-Slot, Shift+Click a gel and it swaps the torch/gel - 1.4 has this as well).
(5) Request: Option to disable the "Researched!" tooltip text for completed items? The lack of "Research X to unlock." text would imply already researched.
(6) Request: If you care, the line color of the Research Info tooltip text should be, uh, Color.Lerp(Color.HotPink, Color.White, 0.1f) to make it stand out a little bit more from the surrounding text (as per 1.4). Dunno if tModLoader likes that sort of thing.

Whenever I go to the all tab in the research the game freezes for a few seconds. Is there any way you can make the lag better? I'm not a mod developer, so I understand if you can't. Other than that the mod is great!

Fixed my game and can confirm, scroll wheel does not work. If the amount of items on the page is more than the window can hold there is no way to see the bottom of the list.
Can you post any other information about the system? what mods you have on, any other UIs open at the same time, 32 or 64bit, that kind of stuff?
The other thing would be a revamp to the UI if possible, if a revamped UI is out of the question then that's okay because the current one works fine, but I feel both of these things would go a long way for the polish and overall quality of life for this mod
It's not the first time someone posts about this, but I see nothing wrong with the UI. For everyone out there, What would you change in the UI? Colors would be easy, overall shape and using icons would be hard.
Tile/Tiles and Material/Materials should all be the same category. That's what I get for writing everyting manually instead of having category strings like in Rare Item Swap. This has been fixed.
Also, the reason "Materials" seemed so empty was because no "Consumable" items were included. This also has been fixed.
I also added your suggestions to the mod. Here's the changelog:

V 1.3 Changelog

Fixed some duplicate categories and a bug that didn't allow for an item to be a Material and a Consumable at the same time.
Changed color of the research tooltip and added option to disable the researched text.
Remaining items researched will be sent to your inventory if you have space.
Shift Click now works even with the slot full.

capablekevin1 said:
Whenever I go to the all tab in the research the game freezes for a few seconds. Is there any way you can make the lag better? I'm not a mod developer, so I understand if you can't. Other than that the mod is great!
The lag is due to the gigantic amount of items present in the list. To reduce it, try using the search function before clicking on the "All" tab. Unfortunately, With as many items as they are present, the lag is kinda unavoidable (I know Recipe Browser has much less lag, but unfortunately I haven't been able to see a difference between both mods in code).

OK, pushed an update that should remove Freezes, and replace them with "loading" times.

v1.4 Changelog
- Multithreaded UI Grid building and ResearchTable loading. As the table is loaded in Player-load time, this will reduce the Player Load Freeze when having many big mods.
- Every category has a chance to display a "Loading..." text while waiting to load the entire item list. Please be patient.
-- The price to pay is that newly researched items will no longer appear automatically in the screen after research. Please select a different category or enter anything into the search bar to refresh.

It seems the research difficulty doesn't affect the number of items required for the research. I tried reloading, restarting, creating a new character, to no avail.
Also, would it be possible to have a + / - button, or something similar, for when you want to have precise amount? It seems impossible to set it to some numbers now (such as 2).

It seems the research difficulty doesn't affect the number of items required for the research. I tried reloading, restarting, creating a new character, to no avail.
Also, would it be possible to have a + / - button, or something similar, for when you want to have precise amount? It seems impossible to set it to some numbers now (such as 2).
Apparently, I was checking if the "Research Difficult affects Item exceptions" value and applying it wrongly, making so that, in the common case, would never appy difficulty. This has been fixed.
Also, as tModLoader does not allow for a float to appear in a number box, the difficulty multiplier is now a difficulty percentage, with 100 as the new base case. This will allow you to place any number in that box (between 1 and 1000000) and it will work. The research number, however appears a bit lopsided. Don't know how to fix it, as I have yet to see a "Align" for UIText.

V 1.4.1 Changelog

- Fixed difficulty not being applied in most cases;
- Changed difficulty to be a whole number from 1 to 1000000, representing a percentage (default 100 = 100% of base value).

Once 1.4 comes out for tModLoader, I think you should edit the vanilla research system to be a bit similar to yours, and what I mean by that. Normally in 1.4 you have to research everything individually which is annoying, but your mod does it so much better, by unlocking things you've researched the ingredients for. It makes it a lot less frustrating that way.

Once 1.4 comes out for tModLoader, I think you should edit the vanilla research system to be a bit similar to yours, and what I mean by that. Normally in 1.4 you have to research everything individually which is annoying, but your mod does it so much better, by unlocking things you've researched the ingredients for. It makes it a lot less frustrating that way.
That's the plan, if tModloader adds the hooks for it. Also the other QoL features of this mod, such as the infinite use items, and possibly the Difficulty as well.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but whenever I leave the world/exit the game and then come back, all the items I researched disappear. However, it says that the item is researched

It's not the first time someone posts about this, but I see nothing wrong with the UI. For everyone out there, What would you change in the UI? Colors would be easy, overall shape and using icons would be hard.
To answer your question the colors are kind of out of place in the game, I feel they contrast the rest of the UI. If you look at the research UI from 1.4 you can see they went for a darkish transparent blue to match the rest of the UI. I don't know if something like that is easy to do but if possible then maybe something like that.

The other thing about the UI, if you look at the research UI from 1.4 the research slot is separate from the dupe menu and when you switch from the research to dupe menu then it could help out with the problem below so once again if something like that is possible then I would love to see it.

The price to pay is that newly researched items will no longer appear automatically in the screen after research. Please select a different category or enter anything into the search bar to refresh.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but whenever I leave the world/exit the game and then come back, all the items I researched disappear. However, it says that the item is researched
Yeah, there's some sort of new issue where you have to research a couple new things before anything will show up, even if things are already researched, no matter how much you fiddle with the categories or modify the search bar. At least, that's what fixed it for me - I researched the piggy bank and then only the piggy bank showed up (after swapping categories/typing), then I researched the mining helmet and everything I did popped back up - but it broke again after restarting the game.

edit: This didn't fix it after doing it a second time, hmm.

added option to disable the researched text.
Now it just says "Research 0 more to unlock" (as opposed to 1.4's blank line) :p The other features work great though, thank you!

v1.4 Changelog
-- The price to pay is that newly researched items will no longer appear automatically in the screen after research. Please select a different category or enter anything into the search bar to refresh.
I feel like this might be a deterioration in functionality - a super common use case is to chuck new equipment or furniture in that you just obtained and then immediately pull it back out. I will note that even 1.4's items do hitch/freeze the game as it loads stuff, but it loads it in groups, so it probably only processes a certain amount per frame - you can watch it fill up as it loads but everything gets real laggy for a bit.

Last edited:
I tried searching up the item and clicking on other categories but it still doesn't show. When I do click on other categories it shows loading for a second and goes away. Researching new items will only cause those items to appear but not any of the previous items, and once I leave they disappear as well.
I've also reinstalled the mod but that also didn't work.

Also there is now certain mods that I can't research items from that I was able to research before. Such as spirit, pinkymod, fargo mutant mod, fargo soul mod, elements awoken, mod of redemption, alchemist NPC. These aren't the only mods just a couple of examples (I'm using 64bit if you couldn't tell)

Although I suspect it has something to do with the amount of items I have between all my mods because half of spirit mod's items are researchable while the other half is just not able to be researched and the items I can research just kind of stop at a random item that has nothing special about it but every item after that one is unresearchable. (I'm looking at the items in recipe browser if you were wondering)

Also there is now certain mods that I can't research items from that I was able to research before. Such as spirit, pinkymod, fargo mutant mod, fargo soul mod, elements awoken, mod of redemption, alchemist NPC. These aren't the only mods just a couple of examples (I'm using 64bit if you couldn't tell)

Although I suspect it has something to do with the amount of items I have between all my mods because half of spirit mod's items are researchable while the other half is just not able to be researched and the items I can research just kind of stop at a random item that has nothing special about it but every item after that one is unresearchable. (I'm looking at the items in recipe browser if you were wondering)

And just in case this was on purpose, is there a way to return it back to what it was (everything researchable)?

OK, the problems that showed up were because the cache that indicates what you researched was being filled before the Research table was initialized. As such, the game now waits until the table is initialized before trying to fill the cache. This should also solve the "Some Items are Unresearchable" problem.

v1.4.2.1 Changelog
- Hopefully fixed both non-researchable problem and items not showing properly.
- Researching an item now causes a refresh of the UI.
- Changed UI Colors to Blue. Will be trying Color-mixing soon.
- Fixed "Researched!" Tooltip not disappearing correctly.

OK, the problems that showed up were because the cache that indicates what you researched was being filled before the Research table was initialized. As such, the game now waits until the table is initialized before trying to fill the cache. This should also solve the "Some Items are Unresearchable" problem.

v1.4.2.1 Changelog
- Hopefully fixed both non-researchable problem and items not showing properly.
- Researching an item now causes a refresh of the UI.
- Changed UI Colors to Blue. Will be trying Color-mixing soon.
- Fixed "Researched!" Tooltip not disappearing correctly.

It says updated 40mins ago but on the mod list it says its 1.4.1, if it was indeed updated and the version just didnt change then the fix didn't work (fargo stuff still unresearchable)

Back
Top Bottom