Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I approve of this. It would be a great supplement when getting a pyramid in the world isn't all too common. Even then, you either have to either dig or load up TEdit to really know for sure sometimes.

I agree to this. Pyramids should have two to three chambers in them. It would also help in less overall world clutter by having fewer pyramids in odd worlds where they would otherwise spawn five or six of them. As for the Pharoah set, I would like to see it become a beginner's summoner set i- something somewhat minor with a total of 15% summon damage, +1 minion and maybe only 5 or 6 defense total.
There's a mod that does this. Vanilla Tweaks. Not 1.4 compatible though obv.

Does anyone else feel like the new world generation is just a bit... bland? Like all the hills are the same, with a single entrance leading underground, while the desert doesn't have that iconic pit into the underground desert, as well as mushroom biomes all being the shape.

I know everyone always made fun of the crazy gen before, but I would really appreciate a feature that amplifies the world gen, and makes it a bit wackier - similar to the "Amplified Worlds" feature in Minecraft

TLDR; Give informational accessories to the stock of the Travelling Merchant.

Since the nerf on crates and the Reaver Shark, we absolutely lack any reason to fish.
I LOVE THAT.
With a small little change we can improve it even further, giving all the informational accessories to the Travelling Merchant and thus enabling the player to craft the Cell Phone without ever touching water is the best possible course of action. If that happens, we can finally ignore the awful fishing quests and tedious and unrewarding fishing mini game entirely.
Even better, give the Angler an inventory full of potion fishes and make him sell them so we won't have to ever fish for fish either!

I'm not asking for remaking the fishing minigame into something that is not an insufferable pain to do. I'm just asking for access to items without fishing. That's all I want. That's what all we want from fishing: not touching it ever again.

Now excuse me while I build a metal cage for my Angler in the Underworld, over a sea of lava, waiting for the next update...
Please, don't let me down. Let me push the button. End his suffering. End my suffering.

Edit: For clarification, I'm not overreacting it, I'm seeing a literal chance of hope that we can get rid of fishing.
This isn't sarcasm. I just have this fragile hope that we can get rid of fishing one day.

Last edited:
Does anyone else feel like the new world generation is just a bit... bland? Like all the hills are the same, with a single entrance leading underground, while the desert doesn't have that iconic pit into the underground desert, as well as mushroom biomes all being the shape.

I know everyone always made fun of the crazy gen before, but I would really appreciate a feature that amplifies the world gen, and makes it a bit wackier - similar to the "Amplified Worlds" feature in Minecraft
It's intresting that you bring up Minecraft because Terraria has sort of ended up ind the same boat as far as world generation goes. Both Relogic and Mojang have smoothed out the quirks in world gen to the point that things have become a little too samey from world to world.
  • Summoners: they can do quite nice damage and die in the process.
  • Ranged: we don't talk about ranged, poor people, even they don't want to talk about their own miserable existence.
Summoners have really rather good survivability if you go through the Old One's Army and get your hands on the sentry armors. But you're right about ranged. Ranged really does need a final "gun" on the level of the Zenith or Last Prism. Nothing really even comes close.

Summoners have really rather good survivability if you go through the Old One's Army and get your hands on the sentry armors. But you're right about ranged. Ranged really does need a final "gun" on the level of the Zenith or Last Prism. Nothing really even comes close.
The Celebration Mk2 is pretty powerful, maybe not quite on the same level as those two weapons but it can still reach insane DPS especially against crowds.

TLDR; Give informational accessories to the stock of the Travelling Merchant.

Since the nerf on crates and the Reaver Shark, we absolutely lack any reason to fish.
I LOVE THAT.
With a small little change we can improve it even further, giving all the informational accessories to the Travelling Merchant and thus enabling the player to craft the Cell Phone without ever touching water is the best possible course of action. If that happens, we can finally ignore the awful fishing quests and tedious and unrewarding fishing mini game entirely.
Even better, give the Angler an inventory full of potion fishes and make him sell them so we won't have to ever fish for fish either!

I'm not asking for remaking the fishing minigame into something that is not an insufferable pain to do. I'm just asking for access to items without fishing. That's all I want. That's what all we want from fishing: not touching it ever again.

Now excuse me while I build a metal cage for my Angler in the Underworld, over a sea of lava, waiting for the next update...
Please, don't let me down. Let me push the button. End his suffering. End my suffering.

Edit: For clarification, I'm not overreacting it, I'm seeing a literal chance of hope that we can get rid of fishing.
This isn't sarcasm. I just have this fragile hope that we can get rid of fishing one day.
I fully agree fishing is annoying af yet you have to go through that pain with every new character.

the biggest Problem is see with fishing especially now that i entered HM in my Master world is surviving to have the time to fish.

with enemy Spawns that can even move through walls not even building cages in the respective fishing biome makes me survive longer in addition to having to wear the fishing gear in the primary Slot which will cost you alot of defense including the fishing accessories taking up multiple accessory Slots if you missing 1 Vital Part to tinker them together.

either make fishing more interactive&fun and less deadly or give us other ways to get these items.

i mean i had to literally fish 6 hours straight one day for just getting water walking boots because in my world none of the Water Chests contained them
and if that wasn't already annoying enough i had to do the same for Anklet of the Winds and Ice Skates because again not one of their respective Chest contained them.

oh and having 2 fully corrupted oceans ontop of "jungle gets rekt" right after beating WoF makes fishing for certain quests even more annoying.

and as a final let down is when you successfully finished a tough quest in Master HM and the Angler rewards you with some frickin useless vanity that doesn't even sell well...

honestly at this stage we should have an angler vodoo doll that we throw into the lava instead a vodoo doll of our helpful buddy the guide...

I too built his housing over a pool of lava put actuators on the floor blocks and everytime he gives me crap as reward i flip the switch and send him bathing:mad::mad:

So, I thought of a way to make the hornet staff a bit more viable. This would probably be a bit of a controversial change, but here's what I think could work.

What if the Hornet Staff was moved to before Queen Bee?
I believe the problem with it now is that by the time you kill queen bee, you already probably have the imps. Perhaps moving the staff to bee available before Queen Bee would make it more viable? If its pre-boss, it would give you a better option for the early bosses too. The crafting recipe could have something to do with hive and stingers or something. If the problem then arises that Queen Bee doesn't have any summoner weapons (although I think the armor is fitting enough) a new summoner weapon could be added in the form of a bee whip as a queen bee drop, that could release bees on impact or something. There are only 2 prehardmode whips so maybe this could help with that too.

Last edited:
It's intresting that you bring up Minecraft because Terraria has sort of ended up ind the same boat as far as world generation goes. Both Relogic and Mojang have smoothed out the quirks in world gen to the point that things have become a little too samey from world to world.

Totally disregard the fact that the SDMG and Phantasm BOTH have higher single target dps than the last prism...

You don't need to be flashy to be powerful.

Last edited:
I fully agree fishing is annoying af yet you have to go through that pain with every new character.

the biggest Problem is see with fishing especially now that i entered HM in my Master world is surviving to have the time to fish.

with enemy Spawns that can even move through walls not even building cages in the respective fishing biome makes me survive longer in addition to having to wear the fishing gear in the primary Slot which will cost you alot of defense including the fishing accessories taking up multiple accessory Slots if you missing 1 Vital Part to tinker them together.

either make fishing more interactive&fun and less deadly or give us other ways to get these items.

i mean i had to literally fish 6 hours straight one day for just getting water walking boots because in my world none of the Water Chests contained them
and if that wasn't already annoying enough i had to do the same for Anklet of the Winds and Ice Skates because again not one of their respective Chest contained them.

oh and having 2 fully corrupted oceans ontop of "jungle gets rekt" right after beating WoF makes fishing for certain quests even more annoying.

and as a final let down is when you successfully finished a tough quest in Master HM and the Angler rewards you with some frickin useless vanity that doesn't even sell well...

honestly at this stage we should have an angler vodoo doll that we throw into the lava instead a vodoo doll of our helpful buddy the guide...

I too built his housing over a pool of lava put actuators on the floor blocks and everytime he gives me crap as reward i flip the switch and send him bathing:mad::mad:
A simple "fix" would be to increase the chance for the unique rewards (equipment components, the hotline fishing rod, bottomless water bucket etc.) after every quest until you've gotten that reward once on your character, after that keep it at the 2.5% chance. So you're guaranteed to have your fish finder, tackle box fully, bottomless water bucket etc. after a finite amount of time and can still cash in on the potions and master baits as future rewards.
On my current character I've completed over 75 quests already and built three fish finders, but I'm still missing the earring and the tackle box to craft the angler tackle bag.

With time-based rewards you could consistently get most stuff pre-HM already, and would get the HM rewards relatively quickly.

Edit: “Angler’s Quest rewards are now more likely to give you the Info Accessories. Additionally, he will not give you duplicates of an accessory you have in your inventory, unless you already have them all.” That explains why I got so many of them. This makes it easier to complete the first fish finder, but now it's even harder to get the angler tackle bag and other unique rewards... *sigh*

Last edited:
idk if this is the right place or not but theres one thing i would like to suggest, make the hardmode corruption/crimson not be able to spawn in the jungle. it makes it impossible to save the jungle.
1591028481653.png

idk if this is the right place or not but theres one thing i would like to suggest, make the hardmode corruption/crimson not be able to spawn in the jungle. it makes it impossible to save the jungle.
then build a wood wall between em'

then build a wood wall between em'
thats a possibility true but also a very rough one todo especially on Master. takes 3 blocks wide walls in both horizontal and vertical direction to avoid the spreading. But it still doesn't protect against the most pressing issue in "Jungle gets Rekt" the Trojan Infection Style that can happen when downing WoF and entering HM. even if you somehow managed to predict the diagonal conversion and have an unconvertable and unpassable wall protecting the Jungle it still can and most likely will be infected by some random dot to circle like spreading that starts somewhere around underground&cavern layers very very close to the jungle.

But that still does fix the fact that a large portion of the jungle was taken over.

Indeed, even if you took preemptive actions and somehow manage to get a quick mech. boss spawn after WoF and also taking it down for the Steampunker to spawn, by that time the rapid Spreading of Hallow and/or Corruption has taken over far too much to have an actual working jungle left.

i literally created a new Master World because of this. the first one just felt beyond fixing with Hallow infecting it from surface on downwards and a "mini" Corruption Biome that started somewhere deep but too close to the jungle which rapidly took over in the jungle and together with the corruption pretty much having it pincer gripped rapidly squeezing it out.
another thing that favors the "Jungle gets rekt" issue is how stuff like grass and plants convert much much faster then solid blocks and the jungle mostly consists of Mud overgrown with plants and grass.

“Angler’s Quest rewards are now more likely to give you the Info Accessories. Additionally, he will not give you duplicates of an accessory you have in your inventory, unless you already have them all.” That explains why I got so many of them. This makes it easier to complete the first fish finder, but now it's even harder to get the angler tackle bag and other unique rewards... *sigh*

i got the tackle box, fishing line, and pocket guide relativevly fast but after getting the pocket guide... NOTHING aside from maybe getting a utility pot or two, or a gold coin but MOSTLY just this useless vanity crap i don't care for and which sells for even less then a gold coin or multiple times pieces of the Angler equip which is also not useful anymore once you the set is completed.

Also, one last suggestion from me for a bit. Not exactly sure if this is under the realm of balance, and I apologize if it isn't, but you know how mobs don't spawn when Moon Lord is alive? This should be an effect for every boss in the game. Its especially problematic on master mode, when your doing well on a boss fight, only for a wyvern or possessed armor to appear and hit you for over 100 damage. It ends up making some of the fights in the game feel pretty unfair. I just got done fighting the Destroyer, and if I didn't have the Brain of Confusion, I would have gotten killed multiple times just because of a possessed armor I couldn't see walking towards me. Sorry if this sounds a bit like me complaining, but I think turning off mob spawns in bosses would make them a lot more fair.

wait, theres more than one treasure room in a pyramid?
No, it was a suggestion.

So, I thought of a way to make the hornet staff a bit more viable. This would probably be a bit of a controversial change, but here's what I think could work.

What if the Hornet Staff was moved to before Queen Bee?
I believe the problem with it now is that by the time you kill queen bee, you already probably have the imps. Perhaps moving the staff to bee available before Queen Bee would make it more viable? If its pre-boss, it would give you a better option for the early bosses too. The crafting recipe could have something to do with hive and stingers or something. If the problem then arises that Queen Bee doesn't have any summoner weapons (although I think the armor is fitting enough) a new summoner weapon could be added in the form of a bee whip as a queen bee drop, that could release bees on impact or something. There are only 2 prehardmode whips so maybe this could help with that too.
Ah! This is a great idea- the whip especially. I've always felt like the bee items fit summoners really well since, well, they all summon bees on hit, but the Summoners are the only class that doesn't have a weapon that does that! Adding the whip would make perfect sense, and also give Summoners a reason to use the Hive Pack (assuming it doesn't already affect the Hornet Staff? it probably doesn't since it's a bee summon, not a bee... projectile.)

Ah! This is a great idea- the whip especially. I've always felt like the bee items fit summoners really well since, well, they all summon bees on hit, but the Summoners are the only class that doesn't have a weapon that does that! Adding the whip would make perfect sense, and also give Summoners a reason to use the Hive Pack (assuming it doesn't already affect the Hornet Staff? it probably doesn't since it's a bee summon, not a bee... projectile.)
A bee whip would also help close the gap between the Snapthorn and the Firecracker. Snapthorn is hardly an upgrade from the leather whip and can't really compete with the stronger pre-HM enemies. Firecracker is of course a HM item but compared to the "best" pre-HM whip it has double the damage and knockback and 50% more range, as well as a very powerful minion tag effect. The jump from pre-HM to HM isn't nearly as big for other classes.

i got the tackle box, fishing line, and pocket guide relativevly fast but after getting the pocket guide... NOTHING aside from maybe getting a utility pot or two, or a gold coin but MOSTLY just this useless vanity crap i don't care for and which sells for even less then a gold coin or multiple times pieces of the Angler equip which is also not useful anymore once you the set is completed.
Well, at least this gives me hope that I'll get the angler tackle bag eventually if I keep trying :')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom