A dilemma I have about using multiple worlds.

Is it an intended and legitimate way to play when you hop worlds to take items from them to then return to your main world with the bounty?

Should I make a temporary throwaway world because I didn't get an Aglet or a Radar from any surface chest in mine? Or should I grit my teeth, pull up my big boy pants and go fishing? There must've been a reason they added a way to earn all these incredibly important items without hopping worlds after all. What about the Enchanted Sword with it's hyper-abysmal drop rate from crates? Or better yet, what about important/essential items that can't be acquired from fishing and sometimes don't even spawn in your entire world (Sharpening Station, for example)? Or, even better, what about using Crimson and Corruption items together? There must be a reason every world with normal generation gets only one.

I mean, sure, it's mechanically possible to do that, but so is beating Normal Mode Moonlord and then putting endgame gear in a chest at the start of a Master Mode playthrough, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the developers had in mind when they designed the new dificulties.

And this is a hard dilemma for me now because I started a new secondary playthrough on a new secondary world, where I already randomly got a Sharpening Station that I really wanted on my main melee playthrough and couldn't get, and even an Enchanted Sword from a shrine (obvious why I would want it on a melee playthrough). I earned those items fair and square, but I didn't earn them within a world I was supposed to be in.

I kinda wish it was an important enough topic that I could ask Red himself about his vision and the view of this particular dilemma because it gnaws on my sanity and I want to finally put my mind at ease about those items.

For me, I feel successful if I:
-Beat the game with gear at the appropriate level, and
-Did the work to get that gear

Borrowing from another one of your worlds doesn't contradict those two. You can just bring over the gear at the right time, and you already did the work to earn it. That's just my thought though, this a really personal question and everyone feels different.

For me, I feel successful if I:
-Beat the game with gear at the appropriate level, and
-Did the work to get that gear

Borrowing from another one of your worlds doesn't contradict those two. You can just bring over the gear at the right time, and you already did the work to earn it. That's just my thought though, this a really personal question and everyone feels different.

I used to think water duping was okay because it just saves me time from running between two bodies of water. Lo and Behold, the water duping method I used in 1.0.6 got eventually patched. And then later down the line the endless water bucket got added. But only in HM. This must mean that the indended developer vision for creating larger bodies of water is that you should only have the luxury of doing it so easily after you put enough effort into earning it.

The developer's vision in this case clashed with what I thought was okay. And while there are certain developer visions I disagreed with and even adamantly refused to obey - in this game and others, in this particular case it would give me a sense of fulfillment of sorts - to earn the rewards the way the developer wanted me to.

Yeah, I just beat Martian Madness on Master Mode, using Black Spot against Saucers. My reward? Three electrosphere launchers. Those are great in a ranger playthrough, but I'm doing melee, so I'm definitely going to store them for future characters and go grab an Influx Waver, Cosmic Car Key and Xeno Staff from older characters.

Is it an intended and legitimate way to play when you hop worlds to take items from them to then return to your main world with the bounty?

To me, the only objective way to define "intended and legitimate" is "does the game allow me to do it without manipulating the game data or code from outside of the game?" Any rules beyond that are personal choices. If someone wants to live within a single world, that's fine, but they don't have the right to call it cheating if someone else decides to accumulate items from multiple worlds.

However, if you want to investigate the "intended" route, then look at what is in the game. Since the days of 1.0, it has been entirely possible for a given Terraria world to not give you access to all of the items through random world generation. It's not a difficult problem to solve from a programming perspective(1). There have been 4 major revisions of the game, and not one of them has solved it.

That suggests to me that the developers do not care if a particular world has all of the possible stuff in it. Which means that it is not intended by the developers for a player playing a single world to be able to get all of the stuff. Therefore, if a player wants all of the stuff, then the developers "intend" for the player to potentially have to play on multiple worlds.

(1): You need to do three things. First, don't randomly select items; list out all of the items that need to be generated, then randomize that list, and when you need a new one, pick the next one from that list. If you run out of items, build a new list and re-randomize. Second, if you're finished generating chests and you haven't put all of the items from the list into the world at least once, then you're not finished generating chests. Third, don't do any world generation after generating chests that would overwrite existing chests. That is, generate chests and their contents last.

To me, the only objective way to define "intended and legitimate" is "does the game allow me to do it without manipulating the game data or code from outside of the game?"

I don't believe this is true. At all, to be honest. The way to define if a mechanic is intended within the game is to get that information from the creator of the mechanic - they're the ones who have the intent for the mechanic to work a certain way, and there can always be oversights or mistakes that misrepresent that intent. That's what balance changes and bugfixes are for. I don't believe there's another or "objective" way to define intent, and legitimacy can only be defined that way from a rather pedantic perspective - sure, you "technically" didn't use any 3rd party to influence the game, but it's likely nobody's going to pat you on the back and congratulate you for exploiting loopholes within the rules of the game you're playing.

However, if you want to investigate the "intended" route, then look at what is in the game. Since the days of 1.0, it has been entirely possible for a given Terraria world to not give you access to all of the items through random world generation. It's not a difficult problem to solve from a programming perspective(1). There have been 4 major revisions of the game, and not one of them has solved it.

There has been fishing, without further context from the developer it's not a stretch to assume that it might've been intended as a failsafe for bad worldgen, it even provides alternative HM ores within a single world.

I don't think I'd be happy with the strategy you provided in your (1) paragraph, a needed item can be present in the world, but hidden in a chest or a few chests located in some faraway backwater that you'll never get to explore. Fishing sounds like a good (and in my opinion - better) alternative to that.

Think of it this way... (For those with the same question.)

Multiple characters were designed to be played on multiple worlds. That function, alone, should be enough mental justification to use that feature. Each world should be treated as if it were just that... An individual new world, as if it were just another world you and your "crew of townsfolk", are visiting.

Due to the limited nature of having a singular seed to generate EVERYTHING... The world's are honestly a lotto-draw of finite possibilities. Luckily, by chance, every item and structure type, will be in at least one of those "billions" of seeds. (So far, I have not heard of a 100% chance that some element has NOT generated, in any world.) However, you will obviously need more than one world, unless you just plan on doing a single, loveless, play-through, before shelving the game.

There was a LOT of effort put into creation, as well as destruction. At the least, you want one world for harvesting, which is only "managed". With one world for actual creation, which is "highly regulated and controlled". Treat one as your Homeland, the other like a mining town. When you eat where you sleep... You are bound to get crumbs in your bed. (That's a more friendly version of another potty saying.)

Back
Top Bottom