Seriously?

I have swears turned off of my end, but I like to think people who rant like this are carefully putting :red: emojis in place of their swears out of fear they will lose their account for some reason.

Honestly don't give a :red:. I'm about ready to uninstall and do something more fulfilling with my time like shove a fork in my eye or shove wood splinters under my finger nails. But fair enough, allow me to rephrase.

Why are there so many ways to be permanently locked out of retrieving dropped loot in mediumcore resulting in having to leave the world and losing it all effectively making it just a more frustrating hardcore mode than a bridge between "there is absolutely zero consequence for dying" and "if you die once thats it game over"? This is the third time in this play through (having played back when I never experienced this) where I find myself losing hours of time completely arbitrarily. Bonus, with a fresh pillar kill I am also losing resources I can't get back until I kill the bloody Moon Lord apparently.

God :red:ing dammit, are you :red:ing kidding me? What the :red: is the point of medium core if there exists numerous ways that players can just be :red:ed out of whatever they were carrying permanently? Jesus, my options for difficulty are :red:ing animal crossing or roguelike permadeath?
Seems like you may be upset @Darkfine. It’d be great if you could explain the issue you’re having calmly.

Did, but to reiterate, when I made the mediumcore character I did so with the understanding that while one dropped everything on death one could have provisions in place to recover that the expense of time and effort. In effect granting the game a certain level of risk and making character death something to be avoided. As it is softcore, in my opinion, isn't worth playing as there is little (or no) drawback for failure. Now, after my latest "you lose hours of play time and have to go through a mind numbing boring grind AGAIN" I am curious what the point of mediumcore is? I might as well be playing hardcore except, I dislike roguelikes about as much as I dislike animal crossing.

Did, but to reiterate, when I made the mediumcore character I did so with the understanding that while one dropped everything on death one could have provisions in place to recover that the expense of time and effort. In effect granting the game a certain level of risk and making character death something to be avoided. As it is softcore, in my opinion, isn't worth playing as there is little (or no) drawback for failure. Now, after my latest "you lose hours of play time and have to go through a mind numbing boring grind AGAIN" I am curious what the point of mediumcore is? I might as well be playing hardcore except, I dislike roguelikes about as much as I dislike animal crossing.
Medium core is supposed to be a challenge so is hardcore, soft ore you just lose coins, If you don’t like those difficulties then don play them, it’s your choice.
Also sorry for the double post

Medium core is supposed to be a challenge so is hardcore, soft ore you just lose coins, If you don’t like those difficulties then don play them, it’s your choice.
Also sorry for the double post
Exactly. If you don't like mediumcore, don't play it. No one's forcing you to play it, it's completely up to you.

This game was designed to be played with softcore in mind. Mediumcore was patched in later, although it doesn't really fit the nature of this game.

The main penalty isn't just dropping coins, but being sent back to your spawn point. This means you need to backtrack to where you died without getting killed on your way back. Dying also causes the boss you're fighting to despawn. The only thing that irks me about this is that there isn't really a penalty during invasions (except for Pumpkin/Frost Moon and Old One's Army).

If you play Softcore, then on death, you lose a few coins, potentially permanently. If you play Hardcore, then on death, you lose your entire character, including everything they were carrying, definitely permanently.

Mediumcore is a medium-ground between these two. You never lose your character, and you don't lose everything, but you may lose something really important, and possibly irreplaceable. That's what you choose when you picked mediumcore: death is more than an inconvenience, but it's not "start over".

If you were guaranteed to be able to get all your stuff back... what would be the point of dropping it? It'd functionally be no different from a Softcore run, save the fact that you have more incentive to get back to where you died (and potentially less ability to do so).

Last edited:
Mediumcore has aged badly.
When it was introduced, there wasn't even hardmode, or item combinations. But nowadays, most progression is based on items, and items have increased value to keep the more you progress.

In my view, Mediumcore is just hardcore with extra frustration when you die. I don't recommend playing that mode, ever.

Mediumcore has aged badly.
When it was introduced, there wasn't even hardmode, or item combinations. But nowadays, most progression is based on items, and items have increased value to keep the more you progress.

To be fair, even in 1.0, progression was based on items by and large. And Dungeon/Shadow Chest items were pretty much irreplaceable within the world. I don't know if 1.0 had any craftable magic items.

It's better now than it has ever been, since there's at least a mechanism for getting a copy of whatever you might risk losing. But yeah, Mediumcore is pretty low on point.

Just recently beat the game with a Medium-Core character. Made a point of finishing before the update. I wanted a more punishing experience for dying, but not permanent.

At times it's really hard to recover stuff, especially at start and in early hardmode. I spent over an hour in early hardmode trying to recover my stuff from Hell, cursing every time I died so close to my items, and adding the less powerful backup items I kept just for that purpose to the pile. Just tunneled and placed blocks until I got it back, but kept getting killed by imps who shoot through blocks.

But, as I got better stuff (armor, mobility items like wings), the previous tier items were good enough to get me there long enough to grab and dash.

so your the type of guy to play minecraft on easy keep inventory
look the game isn't rougelike and expert becomes quite easy master mode is but then on mediumcore you dont drop all of your items

Minecraft has this as default
Minecraft has a much flatter progression, with fewer items that are really hard to replace.

The thing with mediumcore is, even if you fall into lava, all your more advanced stuff won't burn in lava. Basically the coins you're carrying, blocks, some vanity stuff, and some ammo, i forget if potions burn. So you adapt... keep a go-chest with duplicate or second-best gear for when you need to go retrieve your stuff. Make sure to include enough potions to get there and back, including an Obsidian Skin potion or two, and a potion of Return if you have them yet. Don't carry your entire stock of ammo or potions in main inventory. It's still a pain in the :red:, but with a little prep, you really should not be getting shafted bad enough to ragequit.

ETA: That said, even with being able to collect most of my stuff out of lava, I did find Mediumcore annoying enough that I actually backed out. To swap in a Softcore character, all you really need are enough Mana Crystals, Heart Crystals, and perhaps Life Fruit to max out the new character, then you can empty your stuff (including portable storage) into a bunch of chests someplace where a fresh character can reach them. Bonus points if you saved a spare Torch God's Favor, but that's easy enough for the new character to get. Oh yeah, now there's the Bestiary -- might want to do the swap before Hardmode so you can fill that out properly, though saving Critter samples will help.

Last edited:
I started playing on Mediumcore character about a week ago, and in this time I got the first invasion... Everything I can say - if you drop your items in the Underground/Dungeon/Underworld - it's not a big problem to get your items back, but when it comes to invasions, uh.. If you die once, and you haven't obtained secondary items to recover - that will be a painful pastime.

Don’t complain. Mediumcore is optional, not mandatory. If you want to suffer through mediumcore, go ahead. If you don’t, then don’t. It’s like complaining that one level in Super Mario Sunshine is way too hard. It’s ONE level. Suck it up, and suffer through

Back
Top Bottom