Is Terraria 2 vaporware?

Is this game EVER coming out? I can't even find updates on it.
It's been in development for 7 years, so I've read.
Otherworld is long gone, so there's just T2 now and nothing, year after year.
What gives?

Are there any expectations for Terraria 2?
I can't seem to find any confirmation it's currently in development, or has ever been in development for that matter.
All news I can see are just announcements or ideas for a future game, but nothing fleshed out to really make it apart or more interesting than Terraria or Otherworld.

They've been busy working on 1.3.6 and the ports to other platforms, all other news regarding a new game is too old to rely on that.

Terraria 2 never started in development, you know.

The OFFICIAL wiki begs to disagree with you.

"
Terraria 2 is to be the second PC installment of the Terraria series. It was originally revealed that Redigit will be working on Terraria: Otherworld before developing Terraria 2, but Terraria: Otherworld has since been cancelled.[1][2][3]

Currently, the game is just an announcement[4][5] however, it was revealed that it has been in some form of production since February 2012. Terraria creator, Andrew "Redigit" Spinks, has explained in several interviews that his plan is to "expand on the whole Terraria universe". However, very little information, aside from this, has been released."
[doublepost=1555164023,1555163965][/doublepost]
Are there any expectations for Terraria 2?
I can't seem to find any confirmation it's currently in development, or has ever been in development for that matter.
All news I can see are just announcements or ideas for a future game, but nothing fleshed out to really make it apart or more interesting than Terraria or Otherworld.

They've been busy working on 1.3.6 and the ports to other platforms, all other news regarding a new game is too old to rely on that.

From the official wiki:

"Terraria 2 is to be the second PC installment of the Terraria series. It was originally revealed that Redigit will be working on Terraria: Otherworld before developing Terraria 2, but Terraria: Otherworld has since been cancelled.[1][2][3]

Currently, the game is just an announcement[4][5] however, it was revealed that it has been in some form of production since February 2012. Terraria creator, Andrew "Redigit" Spinks, has explained in several interviews that his plan is to "expand on the whole Terraria universe". However, very little information, aside from this, has been released."

The OFFICIAL wiki begs to disagree with you.

"
Terraria 2 is to be the second PC installment of the Terraria series. It was originally revealed that Redigit will be working on Terraria: Otherworld before developing Terraria 2, but Terraria: Otherworld has since been cancelled.[1][2][3]

[doublepost=1555164023,1555163965][/doublepost]

From the official wiki:

"Terraria 2 is to be the second PC installment of the Terraria series. It was originally revealed that Redigit will be working on Terraria: Otherworld before developing Terraria 2, but Terraria: Otherworld has since been cancelled.[1][2][3]

My point still stands: "all news regarding a new game is too old to rely on that."
This is source is dated from 2012, we're now 7 years further without any news since then. Relying on the wiki for release information / announcements is not recommended as the staff are not responsible for updating it. If "Some form of production since 2012" is the only fact we know, then I wouldn't count for that.

Red also has stated he would keep Terraria 2 at a small budget, while Terraria Otherworld was a massive investment.
Things are changing over time. And so does the plans about a Terraria 2.

Last edited:
I think the fundamental problem with development of Terraria 2 is this: why is it "Terraria 2" and not just 1.4/5/6/etc?

Terraria 2 needs to do two things. It has to be a sequel to Terraria, but it also has to be a thing that players of Terraria will stop playing Terraria for. And that's really hard. Why?

Because Terraria has already effectively had 3+ sequels. If you've ever played 1.0, then you know how much the game has changed. It's a completely different experience. For myself, I started with 1.1, where there was Hardmode. But even then, so much changed with just 1.2 that starting over felt like a fairly distinct experience.

In 1.1, the world could feel rather spartan underground. There wasn't much variety down there. Sure, you would come across the occasional ruined cabin, but that was about it. 1.2 really changed things. The density of stuff you could find increased substantially; that samey, spartan feeling of 1.1 was gone. And 1.3 increased this density even more.

Any hypothetical Terraria 2 is competing, not with Terraria 1.0, but with Terraria 1.3 or even 1.4. And making a game that is still recognizably "Terraria" yet offering something better for players than 1.4? That's a tall order. That means you have to provide, out of the gate, an experience that is as refined, polished, and item-rich as Terraria 1.4+. Which isn't really possible for a reasonable development time.

So the main way to distinguish Terraria 2 is for it to do something that you can't do in Teraria 1.x. But what could that be?

The only real gameplay limitation of any hypothetical Terraria 1.4+ (outside of code limitations I am unaware of) is that new changes have to be backwards compatible with the previous 1.x series. Here's what I mean.

1.1 attempted to add content past the natural end of 1.0. However, it couldn't do this by adding new environments to the end, because by the end of 1.0, you could access pretty much the entire world. So Hardmode was built around changing the world: you add new environments by literally adding them to the existing world. This also had the effect of allowing players who had already beaten 1.0 to play 1.1 on their existing worlds.

1.2 and 1.3 did similar things. While both of those did affect world generation (adding more depth and encouraging replays on new worlds), they also changed existing places. Chlorophyte in the Jungle, new monsters in the Dungeon, the Lunar events started by an encounter at the Dungeon, etc.

So we can see that development on the 1.x line has to be designed around basic aspects of compatibility with the older game. A hypothetical Terraria 2.0 does not need to retain that compatibility.

But here's the thing: would any such improvement along those lines really be worth it? There's no way that Terraria 2.0 will be able to have the sheer volume and depth of content at launch as Terraria 1.4 would. So the only way it can compete is by being better at being Terraria than 1.4 in some way.

And I don't think there's that much room for that. At least, not without getting significantly radical, which means it would feel less like Terraria.

Otherworld tried to handle this by offering significant differences in gameplay (apparently). Now, development on that didn't work out, but it was at least a recognized problem that they were trying to work around.

And it's a problem Terraria 2 will have to work around. And I don't really think that it can. I don't know that there will be something truly new that Terraria 1.x could not have done. Something worth investing time and effort into a game that by definition cannot have as much stuff in it as 1.4 would.

Is this game EVER coming out? I can't even find updates on it.
It's been in development for 7 years, so I've read.
Otherworld is long gone, so there's just T2 now and nothing, year after year.
What gives?
"vapourware" is software that was promised and not delivered. Terraria 2 has never been promised by any developer past or present.
The OFFICIAL wiki is not a reliable source of information just like any wiki as anyone can add articles.

I do remember Some details about terarria 2 including more realistic liquids (water leveling out realistically), weapon or skills that can be leveled up (the infomration was vague) and a new way to move around other than minecarts, mounts and grappling hook...

I am well aware of how things can change in development and I am very bummed out about Otherworld, but I am still looking forward to 2 if only because of the ability to level up gear/skills... love me some action RPG, terraria style.

Then again, Otherworld was supposed to be base-defense terraria style and that got canned :(

The Wiki is official, but it's not authorative. As an example, there was a time it said 1.3 would introduce a new liquid type. That didn't happen. It is more reliable now it links to a source, but game development is ever-changing. What might be shown today may not be in the final release.

As for Terraria 2 - as others have noted, it's not been officially announced. I fully expect it to happen in one way or another, but not for a few years yet. It's sometimes been commented on regarding Terraria's engine limitations. A new engine I would expect would be a new game. If nothing else, Re-Logic is a company and it needs to make money to survive! Terraria's updates have been free so far (and we're all grateful for that!), but sooner or later, they'll probably need to produce some new software.

To be honest the developer is likely playing around with different ideas and concepts all the time while updating Terraria and will likely just release something when they feel they have something that feels like a noticable improvement.

Now that the final update for terraria has been released on pc we'll most likely see it release on xbox before we learn anything about there next move regarding what games they decide to start development on

Sorry I'm late to the party

I don't want Terraria 2. Terraria is fine, and the lore is basically paper-thin and added after the fact. It simply isn't at all necessary to continue it as an IP franchise.

I want any sequel to be a gameplay and general mechanics successor, but making what is explicitly 'Terraria 2' would carry expectations with it.

My personal thoughts would be something that reaches more thematically into science fiction (not without magic, it would just have loads of magitech as the magic line advances). It would start much like Terraria normal mode with low-tech, almost a retread of original Terraria, and have the same idea of certain bosses opening up progression. Unlike Terraria, the game could be made from the start to open up or generate entire new layers of the map to explore and get stuff from, instead of just morphing the same map.

Using Terraria as an example; Skeletron opens up the ruined dungeon. In the new game, it would open up or completely generate an entire new area that would be the ruins of a city. The city itself is an entire map with different biomes and whatnot. This would then cause changes to ALL the other maps, as monsters and robots and stuff are no longer contained in the city and spill out everywhere else. Eventually, you kill the Wall of Flesh - in the new game it generates an entire new moon or space layer of the map and drops materials that make you able to get there, and then, the shenanigans you get up to in THAT layer of the map spill over onto all the other maps!

And so on, and so forth. Anytime you want to make a big expansion of the game, you could have new layers or parts of the map generate after you beat something to access it. Even better, you could potentially make progression non-linear in that you could open up layers in whatever order you choose, and new items can appear when you've opened up certain combinations of layers. Like, you opened up the martian colony or something so you could steal all their cool technology style stuff - the technology starts turning up in the ruins. Then you open up the magic area, and you find that the martians have started making magitech because you released all the magic, and the ruins now also has lunatic wizard cultists....and the magic area people are building techno-golems instead of clay golems because you let technology flood into their region! And so on and so on.

Every time you unseal a new area it also affects the spawns in the rest of the map, and you can have a wildly different playthrough by just unsealing areas in different orders.

So like, the city ruins. You go there first as a mandatory part of the progression. Fine. It's filled with mutants and scrap armour, grapple hook using wasteland barbarians, like Mad Max with no cars but all sorts of scrap armour and weapons. Most of it is melee, with primitive crossbows and mutant spit and spines here and there. You bust open the bunker or armoury or whatever that you went to the city for, and the wasteland barbarians are now using rifles and pistols and clearly being more civilised in response to YOU. Then you go to space, kick down the martian's door, steal a bunch of stuff for yourself......and cause tons of martian tech debris to be spread around everywhere else because you blew up a mothership or something. Now the barbarians in the city ruins have got laser guns mixed in here and there, and their scrap armour is clearly using the same martian metals so they're tougher. Then you bust into the magic area, summon a demon lord to bust open a load of magical seals and release magic into the world again. Now the city ruins barbarians are using primitive magic, totems and magical warpaint and such, to buff themselves.

It can go on and on and on and makes the world feel alive as it keeps responding to everything you do.....and if it's a bad result it's all your fault, you just couldn't stop, could you, you had to keep grasping for more and more power....

Last edited:
The city itself is an entire map with different biomes and whatnot.

That all seems very... un-Terraria like. The thing about Terraria is that everything is interconnected. The Dungeon isn't in some alternate dimesion; it's right there. You can find it just by digging around; it's not some phantasmal construct. The corruption or crimson isn't infecting somewhere else; it's infecting your world.

Making things not be interconnected just doesn't feel like a game of Terraria.

That all seems very... un-Terraria like. The thing about Terraria is that everything is interconnected. The Dungeon isn't in some alternate dimesion; it's right there. You can find it just by digging around; it's not some phantasmal construct. The corruption or crimson isn't infecting somewhere else; it's infecting your world.

Making things not be interconnected just doesn't feel like a game of Terraria.

So you didn't read the very first sentences where I said I didn't even want 'Terraria 2', and noted my reason for that as being the expectations of how the game should do things...exactly how you just did?

And then I spent an entire post talking about the map as a whole and how each area would be like another 'layer' added to it. The map would be one colossal thing if possible, but moving between a few different ones in absolutely no way means they can't affect the rest of them....when I spent half the post talking about how doing stuff would affect and change the entire play area.

So you didn't read the very first sentences where I said I didn't even want 'Terraria 2', and noted my reason for that as being the expectations of how the game should do things...exactly how you just did?

I'm going to ignore that you chose to post that in a thread specifically about "Terraria 2". Instead, I'll point out that you wanted this hypothetical !Terraria to still be "a gameplay and general mechanics successor" to Terraria. Well, one of the "general mechanics" of Terraria is that it is one interconnected world. This is one of the foundational pillars of a Metroidvania, which is a genre that Terraria is often claimed to be a member of. So if !Terraria is going to be a "general mechanics successor" to Terraria, then it needs to be a Metroidvania, which means it needs to be a single interconnected world.

So the main way to distinguish Terraria 2 is for it to do something that you can't do in Teraria 1.x. But what could that be?
So the only way it can compete is by being better at being Terraria than 1.4 in some way.
That's not exactly how sequels work irl. Even newer and more promising engine combined with 1.1 experience at launch will be good enough with playerbase this large and loyal.

Back
Top Bottom