I'm making a chart for the NPCs' biome preferences!

ex-moxi

Steampunker
Hello terrarians~ :dryadhappy:

I've been having a hard time adjusting to the new happiness system introduced in 1.4, specifically because every NPC likes different biomes and different people being near them, it's very complicated!

So I messed around a little bit and made a little thingy, I'm still working on it but I think it's functional so far, so behold!

NPCbiomes.png

Suggestions welcome :dryadwink:

I'm planning on doing something similar for the relationships between the NPCs and so on, but I have no idea how to present that mess clearly enough lol.

Thanks y'all <3

Hey y'all, quick update on it. Wanted to make some things clearer and change the font to something niiiice :dryadtongue:

npcbiomes2.png

Really, it's much easier to just use the Terraria Wiki entry on NPC Happiness for this. Your chart takes up a lot of room to say not all that much; it lists biome preferences, but not personal likes.

Really, it's much easier to just use the Terraria Wiki entry on NPC Happiness for this. Your chart takes up a lot of room to say not all that much; it lists biome preferences, but not personal likes.

Uhm, okay I guess?
No one's forcing you to use the chart. I just found the wiki to be too convoluted for me, so I made the chart so you could just look at it and know who goes where.

And what do you mean personal likes?

Yaaaaa thanks everyone! :dryadpassionate:

I'm still listening to suggestions and stuff. I tried doing something similar for the NPCs relations between themselves but... It's a tangled mess %-_-
So I'm sticking to the biome preferences really, and trying to spread it around ^^

So. Why should one use this and not any of the other charts which have more details?
It doesn't list disliked biomes and which NPCs the NPC loves/likes/dislikes/hates.
What's the selling point of this?
Uhm, okay I guess?
No one's forcing you to use the chart. I just found the wiki to be too convoluted for me, so I made the chart so you could just look at it and know who goes where.

And what do you mean personal likes?
It is called criticism. And I agree to some extent. There are much more well-designed charts around the internet.
For example This, this or this.

So. Why should one use this and not any of the other charts which have more details?

I made this for myself and just decided to post here after! I didn't mean to compare to anyone else's work... I didn't even see any other charts around! So I did this all by myself and people found it useful too. I'm not here to compete with anyone and there's nothing special about my chart, I just like it!

It doesn't list disliked biomes and which NPCs the NPC loves/likes/dislikes/hates.
What's the selling point of this?

Again, I find it very weird that you're looking for "selling points" in fan creations but you do you.
I didn't include the disliked biomes because the purpose of this was to instantly figure out where to put your NPCs, not where not to put them. I could have included it but it would make the chart look a little more awkward so I decided to go with just that!

And the NPC relationships are just... A mess, it's absurd to try to make a visual chart out of that. I really like the first chart you linked, I think it does a pretty good job at it and I might use it, but most likely I won't really. It just doesn't get to a comfortable level of visual-ness for me, it still feels like looking at the wiki. I made at least 3 different attempts at a most visual chart of relationships but I'm still yet to find a good format.

Just to give an idea, a spreadsheet with all possible relationships would be 25x25 or 625 different relationships... Most of them actually empty because they only have an opinion of a few selected characters. But even just counting those, it's still too many to make a decent chart that's intuitive enough for me. So I'm still trying to figure it out :dryadtongue:

It is called criticism. And I agree to some extent. There are much more well-designed charts around the internet.

Once more, it doesn't matter to me what's out there! And the criticism is accepted, I do agree with those points, it's just the attitude that got under my nerves %-_-
But yeah, I'll try to perfect it until it's as useful and intuitive as it can be! <3

I made this for myself and just decided to post here after! I didn't mean to compare to anyone else's work... I didn't even see any other charts around! So I did this all by myself and people found it useful too. I'm not here to compete with anyone and there's nothing special about my chart, I just like it!
Again, I find it very weird that you're looking for "selling points" in fan creations but you do you.
I didn't include the disliked biomes because the purpose of this was to instantly figure out where to put your NPCs, not where not to put them. I could have included it but it would make the chart look a little more awkward so I decided to go with just that!
Once more, it doesn't matter to me what's out there! And the criticism is accepted, I do agree with those points, it's just the attitude that got under my nerves %-_-
But yeah, I'll try to perfect it until it's as useful and intuitive as it can be! <3
What attitude? Noone has an attitude here. The other guy said it is too big for his preferences and lacks informations for his preferences.
I asked an objective question on why something you openly post online with the intent for people to see and maybe use should be used.
Then stated an objective fact that the chart lacks informations, not saying whether ot not it is good or bad. Simply that it lacks stuff.
I really don't want to go too deep into, but I just had the feel all you wanted is to see this:
THANK YOU, THAT WILL HELP SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! (when i get the update, console)
And not suggestions/criticism. As you seem to get instantly defensive when the response is not overwhelmingly positive, and just... Neutral.

Look, I really don't want any drama here, it's just a dumb chart I made for a specific thing I needed, it wasn't a masterchart for NPC happiness or anything. I only shared here because I hadn't seen anything around and the wiki bothered me, that's all.

If you wanna talk about charts or attitudes or whatever my PMs are open and I'm super okay with talking, I just don't wanna bother anyone else really.

I'm also working on another chart that has more information and looks cleaner, mainly thanks to y'all, because regardless of how I felt about the comments, I considered them. Thank you :dryadtongue:

What attitude? Noone has an attitude here. The other guy said it is too big for his preferences and lacks informations for his preferences.
I asked an objective question on why something you openly post online with the intent for people to see and maybe use should be used.
Then stated an objective fact that the chart lacks informations, not saying whether ot not it is good or bad. Simply that it lacks stuff.
I really don't want to go too deep into, but I just had the feel all you wanted is to see this:

And not suggestions/criticism. As you seem to get instantly defensive when the response is not overwhelmingly positive, and just... Neutral.
what is that supposed to mean? im just saying my opinion which is, thank you it would really help when i get the update, and i wasnt talking to you i was talking to badmoxx, so keep your head out of something im not even saying to you!

what is that supposed to mean? im just saying my opinion which is, thank you it would really help when i get the update, and i wasnt talking to you i was talking to badmoxx, so keep your head out of something im not even saying to you!
I used your post as a simple example of an overwhelmingly positive feedback to OP. Nothing more. I didn't address it at all personally.
Absolutely fine if you like that, that's why I used it. It supposed to be a comparsion between you, someone who simply likes it, and someone who doesn't simply like it, but doesn't dislike it either.

I used your post as a simple example of an overwhelmingly positive feedback to OP. Nothing more. I didn't address it at all personally.
Absolutely fine if you like that, that's why I used it. It supposed to be a comparsion between you, someone who simply likes it, and someone who doesn't simply like it, but doesn't dislike it either.
ooohhhhh, sorry for the negative reply then, haha ,it really confuses me when people do that! sorry. :p
it just sounded like... never mind

Back
Top Bottom