Game Mechanics let us choose modifiers

Jatopian

Terrarian
It's pretty tedious rerolling to get a particular modifier. In classic there is a money limitation that might lead you to settle for an okay modifier earlier in the game, but in Journey it's just a chore when you can otherwise spawn whatever you researched.

Please let us pay extra to get the modifier we want from the goblin tinker.

Alternate suggestion: To preserve some RNG, give us an alternate rolling system that we could call "Refine". This mode will give you a modifier that is always better in some way than the modifier you currently have, even if worse in others. Therefore you'll eventually end up with high quality modifiers, but there will be progression and you might still spend a lot to get there, plus you won't have the aggravating experience of realizing you clicked past Legendary to get Shoddy again.

Last edited:
It's pretty tedious rerolling to get a particular modifier. In classic there is a money limitation that might lead you to settle for an okay modifier earlier in the game, but in Journey it's just a chore when you can otherwise spawn whatever you researched.

Please let us pay extra to get the modifier we want from the goblin tinker.
well this should be added to journey mode and a engame thing probably, cause having it early on is just tooo op

Having it early on would be balanced by having it cost way too much.

If cost isn't a balancing factor then what is even the point of the way it is now? It seems like the intent was for cost to balance it, with it costing more to reroll an already pretty good modifier.

Having it early on would be balanced by having it cost way too much.

If cost isn't a balancing factor then what is even the point of the way it is now? It seems like the intent was for cost to balance it, with it costing more to reroll an already pretty good modifier.
well, then it would ruin the whole balance segment for weapons, being able to modify the weapons to what you want would make it so its not RNG, and how you get powerful weapons, instead of getting random modifiers you would've got, it really imbalances the game

It sounds good, I think.

There is a mod like "Gnome swordsmith" or something which adds an NPC who moves in if you have both the goblin tinkerer and the steampunker (meaning he's basically a harmode NPC) who offers special reforge. He selects the best modifiers and you can choose one from those. His reforging costs like 5x ~ 10x times of the goblin though, so it can easily take several plats with late-game weapons. But then, you will have a good modifier for sure.

Such a thing works nice and is relatively balanced I think?

As for journey mode, it would be just fine to choose whatever modifier you want, since money isn't really a concern... but maybe it would be difficult to get the goblin work different in one game mode?

It sounds good, I think.

There is a mod like "Gnome swordsmith" or something which adds an NPC who moves in if you have both the goblin tinkerer and the steampunker (meaning he's basically a harmode NPC) who offers special reforge. He selects the best modifiers and you can choose one from those. His reforging costs like 5x ~ 10x times of the goblin though, so it can easily take several plats with late-game weapons. But then, you will have a good modifier for sure.

Such a thing works nice and is relatively balanced I think?

As for journey mode, it would be just fine to choose whatever modifier you want, since money isn't really a concern... but maybe it would be difficult to get the goblin work different in one game mode?
Hmmm maybe there is something in the journey mode menu that makes it so you select what modifier you want and you can make it that by putting it in let’s say godly, and makes the thing godly(or whatever godly is for other weapons)

I think that this would only be good in the journey mode, even the choice of reforge being more expensive would still make the game very easy since for the players who know how to earn a lot of money in the game the increase in the cost would be something to be ignored and practically laughable at the end.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about how this suggestion is intended to be balanced.

Current reforging:
  • The player spends no gold reforging because their weapon came with an ideal modifier, they don't care about modifiers, or they don't have gold.
  • The player spends a small sum of gold reforging and through RNG gets an ideal modifier very quickly.
  • The player spends a decent gold reforging and through RNG gets an ideal modifier after a while.
  • The player spends a massive heap of gold reforging and through RNG gets the best modifier after many, many tries.
  • The player spends a massive heap of gold reforging and through RNG fails to end with an ideal modifier.

Suggested reforging:
  • The player spends no gold reforging because their weapon came with an ideal modifier, they don't care about modifiers, or they don't have gold.
  • The player spends a small sum of gold reforging and through RNG gets an ideal modifier very quickly.
  • The player spends a decent gold reforging and through RNG gets an ideal modifier after a while.
  • The player spends a massive heap of gold reforging and through RNG gets the best modifier after many, many tries.
  • The player spends a heap of gold to choose their modifier and gets and ideal modifier instantly.
Note that in the suggested version, the player in bold text was saved from spending a massive heap of gold until they run out of gold, but they were also missed out on getting lucky and spending a small sum of gold.

There's also another balancing 'mechanism' in the game. The harder the game difficulty, the more relevant/important modifiers are. The harder the difficulty, the more important incremental upgrades in damage/accessories are. So you switch weapons/accessories more often and therefore need to spend gold to reforge more often. So Master Mode already makes the player spend more gold on reforging, on top of the Goblin Tinkerer's RNG gold sink.

Getting the desired modifier instantly would make the game very easy for me, in my games in master mode I always have money left over (even using the nurse at events and bosses), choosing the modifier would take away the small challenge and risk of not having the modifier desired with some platinum coins because of the RNG.

Last edited:
Getting the desired modifier instantly would make the game very easy for me, in my games in master mode I always have money left over (even using the nurse at events and bosses), choosing the modifier would take away the small challenge and risk of not having the modifier desired with some platinum because of the RNG.
I think I see what you mean. You always have, let's just say, 1 platinum sitting around. So you would then always spend the heap of gold to get the best modifier, because you can always afford to, instead of ever reforging randomly (which might cost a lot more).

So in my second list of options everyone would just do the last one, making the random reforge system irrelevant. That might be a step too far, yes...

And you like that sometimes you spend all your gold without getting the best modifier? You're right that would prevent the game getting easier, and I suppose it motivates to save up gold again. I do like when I have enough saved up that I feel I can 'risk' a lot of reforging.

And you like that sometimes you spend all your gold without getting the best modifier?
This is the challenge that the game has in terms of random reforge, a utility for this is that the player gives more value to the desired result, if you take it out the game will be less interesting and easier than it should in my opinion.

Anyway, if the system of attempts itself is boring for someone, a system like the mod called "AutoReroll" for 1.3 of the game might solve the problem, it has the option to choose the desired modifier for the system to try several attempts quickly until getting the modifier or run out of money.

Last edited:
This is the challenge that the game has in terms of random reforge, a utility for this is that the player gives more value to the result, if you take it out the game will be less interesting and easier than it should in my opinion.

Anyway, if the trial system itself is boring for someone, a system like the mod called "AutoReroll" for 1.3 of the game might solve the problem, it has the option to choose the desired modifier for the system to try several attempts quickly until getting the modifier or run out of money.
Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know there were any mods for this.

Getting the desired modifier instantly would make the game very easy for me, in my games in master mode I always have money left over (even using the nurse at events and bosses), choosing the modifier would take away the small challenge and risk of not having the modifier desired with some platinum coins because of the RNG.
I can't say I really understand the viewpoint that something totally random where you just click and click until you get what you want is more challenge, if you are ending up with too much money anyway. However, I've added an alternate suggestion that preserves some randomness and risk.

I also think this would only make sense as a Journey Mode exclusive feature since the point of a journey mode character is to be an all controlling sort of being. I think this would be a dumb addition to normal mode vanilla terraria, and not only cause it would mean I lose a lot of my income.
The whole reforge mechanic is a purely RNG based element of the game and I'm 100% sure that the Devs designed it like this on purpose so I don't see any point in changing it.

Pure RNG that you can't influence even indirectly (like getting better at mass-murdering mobs, for example) is boring.

It may have been some dev's intent at some point - though I think assuming you can read their minds is a big leap, and an out-of-character one at that - but the devs are also human and can have bad ideas sometimes.

I can't say I really understand the viewpoint that something totally random where you just click and click until you get what you want is more challenge, if you are ending up with too much money anyway. However, I've added an alternate suggestion that preserves some randomness and risk.
Pure RNG that you can't influence even indirectly (like getting better at mass-murdering mobs, for example) is boring.

It may have been some dev's intent at some point - though I think assuming you can read their minds is a big leap, and an out-of-character one at that - but the devs are also human and can have bad ideas sometimes.
The final result of your suggestion fits better in journey mode only or in a mod.
The fact that in the end it makes reforge easier is obvious.

Back
Top Bottom