Transferring files to 1.4

So I have Tmod installed on my PC that I use to play terraria, and I remember when I had to uninstall it to play on a server, and that lost all of my progress on unmodded worlds and characters since I downloaded Tmod. The fix was to reinstall Tmod, but I've heard that Tmod isn't available for 1.4 yet (I haven't played since before 1.4 was announced, been too busy and wanted to update and play today then realized this issue). So my question is if there is a way to not lose my progression when going over to 1.4 with my unmodded worlds and characters, or if progression loss would even be an issue.
Also, I don't remember for sure if I did this, but would just walking through a modded world with an unmodded character then make that character be considered modded, causing corruption without mods?

So I have Tmod installed on my PC that I use to play terraria, and I remember when I had to uninstall it to play on a server, and that lost all of my progress on unmodded worlds and characters since I downloaded Tmod. The fix was to reinstall Tmod, but I've heard that Tmod isn't available for 1.4 yet (I haven't played since before 1.4 was announced, been too busy and wanted to update and play today then realized this issue). So my question is if there is a way to not lose my progression when going over to 1.4 with my unmodded worlds and characters, or if progression loss would even be an issue.
Also, I don't remember for sure if I did this, but would just walking through a modded world with an unmodded character then make that character be considered modded, causing corruption without mods?
Well it wouldn’t be considered corrupted at all, just modded stuff would be replaced by air, or empty spaces, so yes you can transfer world and character files, just make sure that they aren’t modded, but you can’t do it the other way round though.

Well it wouldn’t be considered corrupted at all, just modded stuff would be replaced by air, or empty spaces, so yes you can transfer world and character files, just make sure that they aren’t modded, but you can’t do it the other way round though.
Okay, thank you very very much for such a quick answer. I'd ask if a file backup was necessary, but knowing my luck I'll need seven of them 😅

Modded and unmodded (vanilla) Terraria stores save data in different locations:
Vanilla: \Documents\My Games\Terraria
Modded: \Documents\My Games\Terraria\ModLoader

E.g. there's a folder in \Documents\My Games\Terraria with the name "ModLoader", which contains modded player/world saves as well as TML specific data. This folder needs to have the same structure as the Vanilla folder. World saves (.wld) goes into the Worlds folder while Player saves (.plr) goes into the "Players" folder. For each .plr file there's a corresponding folder with same name that contains .map files. These are used to store information about how much of a world you have explored.

I don't know how it was with older versions of TML, but the current version doesn't store anything mod specific in the regular save files (.plr, .wld). Mod specific information is instead stored in a separate file with the same name but a different extension (.tplr, .twld).

So it's possible to move unmodded players/worlds into the folder used by TML and then play for a bit, then afterwards you can move it back to the vanilla location if you want to (though you will lose modded information). Do note that this only works as long as both Vanilla and TML is on the same version content wise. Currently Vanilla is on 1.4.0.5 while TML is on 1.3.5.3, so at the moment it isn't possible to move a player/world from Vanilla to TML. Once TML updates to 1.4 it should work though.

BEFORE doing anything, make a backup. You can either copy the entire /Terraria folder to a different location, or use an Archiever app. Personally I like 7-Zip, but there are many others.

Back
Top Bottom