Map-Survival Skyblock (Vanilla)

You chop down trees, regrow them, research stuff if in journey mode(dirt is a must dupe here) then you either dig to the left to the jungle or right to dungeon and desert, or go below you to the underground spider cave and mushroom biome
Well, I chopped down the trees and got 3 acorns. 2 of the trees grew and they both had leaves, but I got no acorns. I'm either going to have to pray that the last tree gives me 2+ acorns, or I'm dead. I'm not in journey mode, so I can't research.

I made a little water farm for growing infinite water, and I used a water bucket to Minecraft MLG waterbucket to the Mushroom island. (This worked surprisingly well, I even Managed to get my water back.)

On the Mushroom island I did 3 things:
1. Farm cobwebs for rope. 1 cobweb = 3 rope, and cobwebs regrow in the spider biome.
2. Collected the spider chandeliers. (I'll get to this)
3. Farmed enemies in my ugly, but mostly working, mob blocker, where I could kill them, but they couldn't.

On the Surface I did 3 things:
1. started building a bridge to the right, I couldn't make it anywhere, but It did allow for slimes, zombies, and demon eyes to spawn.
2. Started building 2 houses, but I didn't have enough wood for the second house's table. These houses are going to be for the Guide and Merchant.
(Remember those spider chandeliers, well I used them to light up the house's to conserve wood.)
3. Farmed Slimes for gell and other random junk. Demon eyes for lenses, zombies for torches, arrows, and (possibly) a zombie arm, which I need desperately, my copper short-sword has a bad modifier so it only does 4 damage. I also farmed all of them for coins.

BONUS:
While farming underground enemies for anything useful (and, mainly coins) I got an ancient iron bucket, so 2 defense, yay!!!

If I don't get another acorn, I'll try the journey mode version.

Well, I chopped down the trees and got 3 acorns. 2 of the trees grew and they both had leaves, but I got no acorns. I'm either going to have to pray that the last tree gives me 2+ acorns, or I'm dead. I'm not in journey mode, so I can't research.

I made a little water farm for growing infinite water, and I used a water bucket to Minecraft MLG waterbucket to the Mushroom island. (This worked surprisingly well, I even Managed to get my water back.)

On the Mushroom island I did 3 things:
1. Farm cobwebs for rope. 1 cobweb = 3 rope, and cobwebs regrow in the spider biome.
2. Collected the spider chandeliers. (I'll get to this)
3. Farmed enemies in my ugly, but mostly working, mob blocker, where I could kill them, but they couldn't.

On the Surface I did 3 things:
1. started building a bridge to the right, I couldn't make it anywhere, but It did allow for slimes, zombies, and demon eyes to spawn.
2. Started building 2 houses, but I didn't have enough wood for the second house's table. These houses are going to be for the Guide and Merchant.
(Remember those spider chandeliers, well I used them to light up the house's to conserve wood.)
3. Farmed Slimes for gell and other random junk. Demon eyes for lenses, zombies for torches, arrows, and (possibly) a zombie arm, which I need desperately, my copper short-sword has a bad modifier so it only does 4 damage. I also farmed all of them for coins.

BONUS:
While farming underground enemies for anything useful (and, mainly coins) I got an ancient iron bucket, so 2 defense, yay!!!

If I don't get another acorn, I'll try the journey mode version.
I did the journey mode just for researching stuff so I don’t have to worry, and your gonna have to fish a lot l

Hey, thank you for the map. I'm currently at the end of pre-HM and I'm loving it so far, I'm learning a lot of ways to optimize some tedious tasks :p

However, I was (and still am actually) really frustrated by the lack of crystal hearts. I know you can fish life crystals, but they're insanely rare. To put it into perspective, life crystals are a 1/15 drop from golden crates. With 300 fishing power and a crate potion active, you have about a 1/38 chance to catch a golden crate, and you get about a bite every second, which means it would take 2 and a half hour of uninterrupted fishing in these conditions to get 400 health. Moreover, 300 fishing power is not something you can have indefinitely (with neutral weather and time you're closer to 200 FP), and to make things worse the only way to get crate potions is through the random angler rewards (no crate potion active literally makes the process twice as long).

I know the map is meant to involve a lot of farming/terraforming to get materials that would otherwise be trivial to obtain, but nothing remotely compares to fishing for life crystals. Would you consider adding a few of them somewhere in the map ? A fix I imagined would be to put 5 life crystals in the dungeon, this way they're gated behind a boss, and players would either have to fish for at least 5 LC pre-skeletron or fight skeletorn before getting the goblin (which is imo pretty hard in expert mode). It would only save a few hours of mindless farming in late pre-HM.

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I have two videos of me playing this map on muni YouTube channel, a third video may be coming soon, so far I’m enjoying it, but sometimes I wish that In journey mode I could make fishing go faster..... as much as I love it, it would make my life easier. Also any tips on how to spawn the underworld critters?

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I have two videos of me playing this map on muni YouTube channel, a third video may be coming soon, so far I’m enjoying it, but sometimes I wish that In journey mode I could make fishing go faster..... as much as I love it, it would make my life easier. Also any tips on how to spawn the underworld critters?
Make a bridge so they can spawn on those blocks

Hey, thank you for the map. I'm currently at the end of pre-HM and I'm loving it so far, I'm learning a lot of ways to optimize some tedious tasks :p

However, I was (and still am actually) really frustrated by the lack of crystal hearts. I know you can fish life crystals, but they're insanely rare. To put it into perspective, life crystals are a 1/15 drop from golden crates. With 300 fishing power and a crate potion active, you have about a 1/38 chance to catch a golden crate, and you get about a bite every second, which means it would take 2 and a half hour of uninterrupted fishing in these conditions to get 400 health. Moreover, 300 fishing power is not something you can have indefinitely (with neutral weather and time you're closer to 200 FP), and to make things worse the only way to get crate potions is through the random angler rewards (no crate potion active literally makes the process twice as long).

I know the map is meant to involve a lot of farming/terraforming to get materials that would otherwise be trivial to obtain, but nothing remotely compares to fishing for life crystals. Would you consider adding a few of them somewhere in the map ? A fix I imagined would be to put 5 life crystals in the dungeon, this way they're gated behind a boss, and players would either have to fish for at least 5 LC pre-skeletron or fight skeletorn before getting the goblin (which is imo pretty hard in expert mode). It would only save a few hours of mindless farming in late pre-HM.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I actually did a full play though of the map myself (non-journey) before releasing it, and I am acutely and painfully aware of the scarcity of crystals. To be honest I never expected anyone to reach 400 life. I only ever bothered with getting enough to spawn the goblin invasion, and just played the rest of the game with ~200 HP (it is meant to be a challenge map after all :)). But the challenge of Skyblock isn't necessarily supposed to come from having to grind for absurd amounts of time, but rather from having find creative ways to make due with less. Of course, it's ultimately your experience and you can always just cheat some in if you want.

Hmm maybe in the dungeon I’ll put 3 hearts, and I love this, the only thing that really annoys me is that I have to keep grinding for crates, specifically iron and gold... actually hold more than anything..... but really I think there should have been some recall potions somewhere in the map(maybe hell)

Hmm maybe in the dungeon I’ll put 3 hearts, and I love this, the only thing that really annoys me is that I have to keep grinding for crates, specifically iron and gold... actually hold more than anything..... but really I think there should have been some recall potions somewhere in the map(maybe hell)
Seriously I was sooo impatient for daybloom to grow by themselves I planted day bloom my self to find that I already had two automatically grown naturally.... also I would say update the map to have the staff of regrowth, it would make having plants easier to get, and add a snow biome too, we need shiverthorns. Just saying, I also made my own snow and ocean biome(yes I used TEdit on both of them after the outline was finished, the ocean one....... I kind of went a little tooo overboard....... same with the snow, made it too long...)

Thank you so much for the feedback! I actually did a full play though of the map myself (non-journey) before releasing it.

Am actually wondering, DID you have to build a cieling over hell to fight the Wall of Flesh? Or was the wall of flesh's infinite ascension issue fixed in 1.4? Cause I swear unless a cieling is placed Wall of Flesh infinitely ascends making the fight break.

Am actually wondering, DID you have to build a cieling over hell to fight the Wall of Flesh? Or was the wall of flesh's infinite ascension issue fixed in 1.4? Cause I swear unless a cieling is placed Wall of Flesh infinitely ascends making the fight break.
Well no it doesn’t infinitely ascend, only the bottom eye stays down.

In testing, WoF attempts to evenly space itself between the floor and ceiling of hell. It checks the map border as a floor, and since it cannot leave hell, it checks the biome transition line as a "ceiling" in the absence of solid blocks. I don't know if this is new of has always been the case, though I have a foggy recollection of being able to coax WoF out of the underworld in 1.1. Regardless, I was able to beat WoF without much complication by running along the bottom map border and firing upwards with the hellwing bow.

Doing some testing in the journey mode version of the world, the best I could do was get the mouth to stick around, ceiling or not. I guess it's gonna be a mouth fight, I prefer keeping my distance with wall of flesh.

Guess it's time for me to prep for the last bit of prehardmode.

Errr, travelling merchant. you ok buddy?
20200730054125_1.jpg

Anywho the deed has been done, the Wall of Flesh has been defeated, all my prehardmode prep was done so I decided to finally enter hardmode, alot faster knowing I didn't have to spend an eternity making a hell roof.
20200730075911_1.jpg

With the ancient spirits released I had to clean up a bit of hallow, but otherwise alls fine.
Black recluses started spawning in the spider cave. Time for spider armor?
20200730080854_1.jpg

Ended up buying leaf wings off the Witch Doctor as soon as I was able to. Also had the wizard spawn near my underground town.
20200730083456_1.jpg

(Yes I have Empress Wings in the vanity slot, but I am not actually using them, I will be sticking to leaf wings until I can grind fairy wings for my first mech, then will get butterfly wings for the other two, after plantera and golem I plan to get steampunk which will last till I kill fishron, that's my usual wing route.)

Oh and heres my nearly completed AFK Rod of Discord and Blade Staff farm! I did most of it in prehardmode and part of the hallow line hit the rightmost edge of it, so it's only a matter of time before the chaos elementals and enchanted swords start coming in! The lava above is for dispatching bats.
20200730084341_1.jpg

That's all for now, I'll continue maybe tomorrow where I finish up the afk farm and also get spider armor to use said farm.

Good job!!!! Hmmmmmm is it possible to get the terraspark boots here or would I have to cheat in water walking boots and ice skates, for the ice skates probably a no
Edit:you should add a snow biome island in just because shiverthorn is a important plant, and fishing there too

Last edited:
Good job!!!! Hmmmmmm is it possible to get the terraspark boots here or would I have to cheat in water walking boots and ice skates, for the ice skates probably a no
Edit:you should add a snow biome island in just because shiverthorn is a important plant, and fishing there too

For the water walking boots just fish in an artificial ocean(build one at either side of the map)

as for the ice skates it's technically possible to get them without cheating.
It would be post plantera though(Unless the clock is set to christmas then it would be hardmode). Here is how it would be done.

1. Reach wave 20 of the frost moon to get christmas for a day(or wait for christmas)
2. Farm presents for snow globes to summon frost legion
3. Farm frost legion for snow blocks
4. Make artificial snow biome using snow blocks
5. Fish for ice crates in said snow biome to get ice skates.

For the water walking boots just fish in an artificial ocean(build one at either side of the map)

as for the ice skates it's technically possible to get them without cheating.
It would be post plantera though(Unless the clock is set to christmas then it would be hardmode). Here is how it would be done.

1. Reach wave 20 of the frost moon to get christmas for a day(or wait for christmas)
2. Farm presents for snow globes to summon frost legion
3. Farm frost legion for snow blocks
4. Make artificial snow biome using snow blocks
5. Fish for ice crates in said snow biome to get ice skates.
Thanks for the info didn’t know this, I already made a artificial snow and ocean biome using well TEdit.......... what I didn’t want to take forever filling in an area to make the snow, and want to make the ocean look nice....

A bunch more screenies, mainly the Rod of Discord farm.

Starting off with farming fangs for the spider set, an essential part of my Rod of Discord farm.
Yoyo bag + Gradient courtesy of the skeleton merchant in my gem tree farm(well most of it at least, I had to craft the string obviously, then combine the parts into the bag)
20200730211113_1.jpg

Now for some AFK Rod of Discord farming! With spider staff and spider armor, I have what I need.
Here it is in action, note the chaos elementals can spawn outside of the hallow if theres pearlstone present(same with enchanted swords), ebonstone is used to make the farm a neutral area in order to stop biome mimics.
The slime mount in water tricks the game into thinking I am not idle, preventing the mechanic where it stops their spawns if I was "idle".
20200730214233_1.jpg

Had a blood moon happen, even more spawns! For a time.
20200730220751_1.jpg

Since all I was doing in this farm was sitting in one spot waiting for drops I checked my map out of curiosity. Turns out one of the jungle spots I made worked! Theres chlorophyte! Can't wait to mine that up and make a farm with it! >.<
20200730221230_1.jpg

Well theres one item from this farm. Blade Staff!
20200730221506_1.jpg

Diggers were becoming a problem, I didn't realise that they're dirty cheaters when offscreen, digging through air when I'm not looking, so I had to set up a means to dispose of them, as they were hogging up spawn slots. That's when I got the idea to try boulder statues.

20200730231559_1.jpg

It worked to a degree, but I felt they needed to die a little faster, so I set up more on a seperate timer. (More frequent boulder dropping)
20200731001951_1.jpg

Hopefully that'll help clear out the rather annoying diggers. But that's all I got for now! Now it's time to sit here and patiently wait for a rod of discord to drop! My minions will keep the enchanted swords away while the chaos elementals won't teleport onto lava, meaning they'll just run amongst the top area. The lava above as I said before is to pick off bats that would otherwise hog up spawn slots.

EDIT: It has been acquired, Rod of Discord get!
20200731022540_1.jpg

20200731022555_1.jpg

Took a few hours of AFKing but RNG finally gave it up. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom