MASTER MODE GUIDE
--------------------------

---------------------------
Game Version 1.4.0.5
---------------------------

MELEE CHARACTERS

WEAPON: Sun Fury weapon

ACCESSORIES (all with the bonus "Warding"):
-Four defensive accessories (Cobalt Shield or Obsidian Shield, Worm Scarf, Brain of Confusion, Band of Regeneration for example).
-Two mobility accessories (Shield of Cthulhu, Terraspark Boots or another speed boot for example).

BUFFS:
-Defensive potions (Endurance Potion, Ironskin Potion, Heartreach potion and Regeneration potion for example)
-Offensive potions (Rage Potion and Wrath Potion for example)
-Mobility potions (Swiftness potion for example)
-Seafood Dinner (with Neon Tetra for example, an easy fish that is useless for something else apparently and currently)
-Sharpening station.

ARMOR: Molten armor.

Don't let him catch you.
Finish off the boss's minions by spinning the flail where you will probably be damaged but with your great defense and with the heartreach potion if you are lucky you will win many hearts and they will come to you, these minions are more likely to give hearts than normal apparently.
The minions of this boss apparently do more damage with the boss damaged enough, when the minions start to do a lot more damage than normal, it might be better to attack with the medium distance attack of the flail, but attacking this way can be difficult to clean many minions at once.
Attack the boss with the normal flail attack at medium distance that deals the entire damage.
Heart lanterns, Campfires and Honey placed on the whole hell bridge, help in regeneration:
1.png

Creating holes in your hell bridge can help if you kill lava slimes on the bridge, although a hell bridge made of obsidian platforms does not need holes for this, you can make obsidian platforms by demolishing the houses of hell and using Obsidian Bricks and Obsidian Brick wall, but usually a bridge made of blocks can block the laser rays from the bottom eye of the boss:
2.png

For the first fight against this boss with this melee character of mine I made the hell bridge on the whole map, full of Heart lanterns, Campfires and Honey, but I only needed a little less than half the map, it was a small world:
44.png

MAGIC CHARACTERS

WEAPON: Water Bolt or Demon Scythe weapon.

ACCESSORIES (all with the bonus "Lucky" or "Menacing", your choice):
-Three offensive accessories (Shark Tooth Necklace, Stinger Necklace, Brain of Confusion for example).
-Three mobility accessories (Terraspark Boots or another speed boot, Frog Leg or other of its improvements in the case of Amphibian Boots place it above the Terraspark Boots slot so as not to decrease the maximum speed, Shield of Cthulhu for example)

BUFFS:
-Offensive potions (Rage Potion, Wrath Potion, Mana Power Potion and Mana Regeneration Potion for example)
-Seafood Dinner (with Neon Tetra for example, an easy fish that is useless for something else apparently and currently)

ARMOR: Meteor Armor if you prefer damage bonus, Jungle Armor if you prefer critical chance bonuses.

Don't let him catch you.
Ecape in the bridge while you attack with one of the suggested weapons far from the boss (these weapons were chosen because they have good damage plus piercing action), maybe you can stay too far, the range of magic weapons can be quite large some times, simply stay in the distance where your attacks still lower the boss’s energy bar, if necessary, dodge the lazers.
With mana regeneration potion if you have correct pauses in your attack you won't even need mana potions to recover mana, but the fight can take longer this way.

SUMMON CHARACTERS

WEAPON: Imp Staff weapon

ACCESSORIES (all with the bonus "Menacing"):
-Two Offensive accessories (Shark Tooth Necklace, Stinger Necklace for example).
-Three Mobility accessories (Terraspark Boots or another speed boot, Frog Leg or other of its improvements in the case of Amphibian Boots place it above the Terraspark Boots slot so as not to decrease the maximum speed, Shield of Cthulhu for example)
-One Defensive accessorie (The intention in this situation is only offensive and mobility accessories but as a spare slot, it could be the Brain of Confusion, in this situation the critical chance bonus of that accessory will not be useful, or you can choose Worm Scarf if you want)

BUFFS:
-Offensive potions (Wrath Potion and Summoning Potion for example)
-Seafood Dinner (with Neon Tetra for example, an easy fish that is useless for something else apparently and currently).
-Bewitching table.

ARMOR: Bee Armor.

Don't let him catch you.
Turn the minions' sights on the boss's mouth or one of their eyes, apparently it is better in the mouth, although it has more defense, it is usually the easiest to be hit.
Ecape in the bridge while the minions attack and while you dodge the lazers far from the boss, not so far or your minions will stop attacking.
It may be good to use the imp staff all the time repeatedly to a minion attacks all the time, mana potions can be useful.

RANGED CHARACTERS

WEAPON: The Bee's Knees weapon (with Wooden Arrows)

ACCESSORIES (all with the bonus "Lucky" or "Menacing", your choice):
-Three offensive accessories (Shark Tooth Necklace, Stinger Necklace, Hive Pack for example).
-Three mobility accessories (Terraspark Boots or another speed boot, Frog Leg or other of its improvements in the case of Amphibian Boots place it above the Terraspark Boots slot so as not to decrease the maximum speed, Shield of Cthulhu for example)

BUFFS:
-Offensive potions (Rage Potion, Wrath Potion and Archery Potion for example)
-Seafood Dinner (with Neon Tetra for example, an easy fish that is useless for something else apparently and currently).

ARMOR: Necro armor

Don't let him catch you.
Ecape in the bridge while you attack with the wonderful Bee's Knees bow, this is great in this situation, you just need to shoot towards the boss, the bees will end everything, especially if you have the "Hive Pack" in the middle of your accessories, but you have to shoot in a way that the bees do not hit any obstacle before hitting the boss or his minions apparently.
You can fight like that at a good distance from the boss, dodge the lazers.
The Bee's Knees was chosen in place of Beenades for having greater range, with this bow you can attack the boss from a greater distance, just keep attacking in the distance that yours attacks still decrease the boss’s life, but if you want to fight more risky closer to the boss with beenades and has a good number of them, you can choose this alternative.

CONCLUSION

In these 4 classes of my guide, they were all done in small worlds master mode with all the victories needing more or less than half of the world (summon class a little more than half, the other 3 a little less than half).

Last edited:
Summon Characters: Imp Staff
Offensive and mobility accessories, offensive and mobility potions, bewitching table, summoning potion.
Bee Armor.
Don't let him catch you.
Turn the minions' sights on the boss's mouth or one of their eyes, apparently it is better in the mouth, although it has more defense, it is usually the easiest to be hit.
Ecape in the bridge while the minions attack and while you dodge the lazers far from the boss, not so far or the minions will stop attacking.
It may be good to use the imp staff all the time repeatedly to a minion attacks all the time, mana potions can be useful.
I would recommend using The ballista staff if your on the old ones army version, and use minions still, make it so it’s targeted to one eye, and spam the ballista staff, it fires immediately when you summon it, also make sure you defeated the OOA in order to use it.

I would recommend using The ballista staff if your on the old ones army version, and use minions still, make it so it’s targeted to one eye, and spam the ballista staff, it fires immediately when you summon it, also make sure you defeated the OOA in order to use it.

Yes this seems to be a good strategy, I saw it in one of the new videos of the Ningishu channel:
But attacking far from the boss only with the imp staff is so easy that you may not even have to win the event to use the ballista.

Regarding ranged it is probably worth noting that due to the removal of throwing Beenades perhaps the most anti WOF weapon in the game are now ranged weaponry coming with all the relevany bonuses and naturally come along for the ride with acquiring The Bees Knees so the strategy can easily be amended to include them as both strongly boosted by the Hive Pack. I would probably start with a few beenades then focus down the WOF
It should also be noted that with how more frequent fallen stars appear to be with meteor showers and a general over all more concentration near the player of somthing that the star cannon is far more viable as a weapon now. The Hellwing bow is also a great option that also relies on wooden arrows for a special effect and thus probably can be used as an alternative though I doubt as effective it seems a better option as a weapon in early hardmode.

Regarding ranged it is probably worth noting that due to the removal of throwing Beenades perhaps the most anti WOF weapon in the game are now ranged weaponry coming with all the relevany bonuses and naturally come along for the ride with acquiring The Bees Knees so the strategy can easily be amended to include them as both strongly boosted by the Hive Pack. I would probably start with a few beenades then focus down the WOF
It should also be noted that with how more frequent fallen stars appear to be with meteor showers and a general over all more concentration near the player of somthing that the star cannon is far more viable as a weapon now. The Hellwing bow is also a great option that also relies on wooden arrows for a special effect and thus probably can be used as an alternative though I doubt as effective it seems a better option as a weapon in early hardmode.
I used the bees knees and 78 beenades on my console, I ended up killing him right as he was in front of me and had 92 health left

I used the bees knees and 78 beenades on my console, I ended up killing him right as he was in front of me and had 92 health left
Hellwing bow appears to be inaccurate over a long distance.
The wiki says that the row of bees from The Bees Knees with wooden arrow does not receive the effect of gravity, if this is true the character can be at a greater distance than I thought, and the shot is accurate.
Something I need to see are the beenades and their effect over a long distance, and it looks like this will need a very flat bridge to do this test, facing this boss over a long distance is always safer.
If the beenades are useful or not in my opinion, I will edit the ranged character part after.
I'm currently playing with my magic character.

Last edited:
The wiki says that the row of bees from The Bees Knees with wooden arrow does not receive the effect of gravity, if this is true the character can be at a greater distance than I thought, and the shot is accurate.
Something I need to see are the beenades and their effect over a long distance, and it looks like this will need a very flat bridge to do this test, facing this boss over a long distance is always safer.
If the beenades are useful or not in my opinion, I will edit the ranged character part after.
Forgot to mention I was using that and the star cannon sometimes...

Yeah hellwing has :red: accuracy hence why it is inferior it does somewhat compensate with its extremely high rate of fire and autofire but only in part generally it is a weapon that is more useful up close with line of sight piercing that works in fluids. So it is sort of a last resort weapon bees are generally going to be better but they don't have the ability to travel in fluids while the hellwing does and since they work similarly turning wooden arrows into special projectiles it can come in handy in a pinch Molten fury also works in this regard though it doesn't pierce so it will not be as effective on difficulties where the Hungry regenerate. Technically I guess you can avoid the problem by being careful in constructing your arena but sometimes the WOF has other plans and spawns super low for some reason. The star cannon Phoenix Blaster or other arrows can be used instead to compensate but then you will have to swap back to wooden arrows for the bees

Forgot to mention I was using that and the star cannon sometimes...
Yeah hellwing has :red: accuracy hence why it is inferior it does somewhat compensate with its extremely high rate of fire and autofire but only in part generally it is a weapon that is more useful up close with line of sight piercing that works in fluids. So it is sort of a last resort weapon bees are generally going to be better but they don't have the ability to travel in fluids while the hellwing does and since they work similarly turning wooden arrows into special projectiles it can come in handy in a pinch Molten fury also works in this regard though it doesn't pierce so it will not be as effective on difficulties where the Hungry regenerate. Technically I guess you can avoid the problem by being careful in constructing your arena but sometimes the WOF has other plans and spawns super low for some reason. The star cannon Phoenix Blaster or other arrows can be used instead to compensate but then you will have to swap back to wooden arrows for the bees
Star cannon, it seems to me limited, the number of ammunition of the weapon since they are stars, to have a large number of stars to use this, apparently a star farm is necessary, I think it is a non-practical weapon outside the journey mode where the stars can be duplicated.
The current increase in star numbers at 1.4 and without making a farm for them is ok for magic class potions that use stars.
Although I never used star cannon because it seems limited.

Star cannon, it seems to me limited, the number of ammunition of the weapon since they are stars, to have a large number of stars to use this, apparently a star farm is necessary, I think it is a non-practical weapon outside the journey mode where the stars can be duplicated.
The current increase in star numbers at 1.4 and without making a farm for them is ok for magic class potions that use stars.
I kinda used all my stars... crap I need to go back up to 91 just for mana potions if I use mana at some point... yeah I was just collecting them while I was doing some stuff out and about....

That was true in 1.3 but as of 1.4 it seems the rate of fallen stars has shot up considerably without any farm and staying at my base 10 is a fairly typical result and doing a walk over the surface at night can easily net you 20 to 30 stars lower numbers in a given area possibly indicating floating islands above. I would say 90+ is about the amount of stars where I consider the weapon usable (particularly with either buff that gives a chance to not consume ammo ) The typical hull with meteor showers is even higher with several stars often falling at the same time and the critical identifier of enchanted nightcrawlers spawning naturally. Lantern nights give this a fairly high chance of happening so assuming you killed most of the prehardmode bosses that is going to net you sufficient stars fairly easily no farm really needed though world traversability is pretty important (i.e. you should be able to move across distances fairly easily

I beat the WoF expert in 2 minutes with the Hellwing Bow with Hellfire Arrows. Unlike the Bee Keeper, it pierces.
Trust me, it's good.
EDIT: And no ranged gear.

I beat the WoF expert in 2 minutes with the Hellwing Bow with Hellfire Arrows. Unlike the Bee Keeper, it pierces.
Trust me, it's good.
EDIT: And no ranged gear.
The problem with the Hellwing Bow is that it is inaccurate over a long distance and against the wall of fresh you must fight with it at a shorter distance than The Bee's Knees, which can be less easy especially in master mode, and The Bee's Knees with wooden arrows can spread many homimg bees and this detail against this boss can be better than simply piercing projectiles.

Anyway, in these 4 classes of my guide, they were all done in small worlds master mode with all the victories needing more or less than half of the world (summon class a little more than half, the other 3 a little less than half), I'll even add this to the main post.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom