Is the nymph banner the rarest

• Yes

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • I don't care about this poll

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
This isn't about morals in any way. It's about opinions. Im arguing that seeds are intended to be used to aquire EARLY game items, adventure maps are used to play the adventure map not to steal items from and copying someone's world file to aquire any item in the game is a cheat. I'm not saying you can't do it, play how you want but obtaining items via seed is aquiring them properly where as taking them from adventure maps or other maps that contain items is a cheat. Nothing wrong with cheating on video games. Cheats and codes have been part of video games since the beginning but you can't say you obtained them without cheating. Using seeds to obtain them is not a cheat, it is an actual section on the official world gen screen/menu.
(this will be my last message, I didn’t see the ones about forgetting about this until after the majority of this was written)

Journey mode is an option on both the world selection and character selection and has god mode. Literally everything is trivialized by Journey mode in ways even more overpowered than world downloads. Considering that that basically means the developers don’t consider anything cheating, I honestly think cheating should be considered at the whim of what the individual in question thinks. I don’t want to use seeds and save exploits or world downloads to get the Terragrim, so I’m not going to. That means that by the standards for what I consider cheating, it’s the rarest item in the game, which explains my thought process at the start of all of this. I apologize for how poorly I communicated this, but I guess this can serve as an example of how aggravating and pointless misunderstandings can be for all parties involved.

Edit whoops didn't see this conversation was being dropped my bad... will be my last reply. >_>
You still use an enchanted sword shrine seed to get the Terragrim. World's generate so fast in 1.4 that you take an enchanted sword shrine seed and create it over and over til your shrine produces a Terragrim. It doesn't take long, esp if you use one of the small world enchanted sword shrine seeds. I don't remember anybody saying "what's the rarest items without using seeds" and discussing it that way would just be silly considering that's one of the main things ppl use seeds for in the first place. The bottom line is that world gen items are no longer rare nor do they take long to get. You can get a Terragrim in 20 minutes. Lol. Regardless, I would still put the Terraprisma above any item even without seeds and ppl never talk about the Dr. Bones banner. That thing is a :red: to aquire. Lol.
This isn't about morals in any way. It's about opinions. Im arguing that seeds are intended to be used to aquire EARLY game items, adventure maps are used to play the adventure map not to steal items from and copying someone's world file to aquire any item in the game is a cheat. I'm not saying you can't do it, play how you want but obtaining items via seed is aquiring them properly where as taking them from adventure maps or other maps that contain items is a cheat. Nothing wrong with cheating on video games. Cheats and codes have been part of video games since the beginning but you can't say you obtained them without cheating. Using seeds to obtain them is not a cheat, it is an actual section on the official world gen screen/menu.
The problem here is assumptions not morals or ways to go about playing the game . Each of these replies in this thread as well as my own are loaded with assumptions they need to be as there is far to much to consider for any concise answer otherwise.

In scientific disciplines it is important for us to recognize as many as possible of these implicit assumptions, ideally all of them first and then try and find the most general realistic assumptions for assessing whatever question.

The biggest one here is that you are assuming players will look for specific seeds why? This is a feature but there is no reason to assume anyone will do this it is an extra unnecessary assumption which restricts the applicable domain of an answer. Remember this requires several assumptions i.e. that someone will google for some item which also assumes they have looked up said item identified it as a rare item they desired and specifically made a world to locate it. That is at least 3 assumptions all of which feel more contrived than the last as they implicitly build on each other. I know I didn't look up the Wiki until I got stuck when I first played Terraria so these assumptions are not applicable in a general sense only applying to a fairly niche community of heavy Terraria players/fans.

(this will be my last message, I didn’t see the ones about forgetting about this until after the majority of this was written)

Journey mode is an option on both the world selection and character selection and has god mode. Literally everything is trivialized by Journey mode in ways even more overpowered than world downloads. Considering that that basically means the developers don’t consider anything cheating, I honestly think cheating should be considered at the whim of what the individual in question thinks. I don’t want to use seeds and save exploits or world downloads to get the Terragrim, so I’m not going to. That means that by the standards for what I consider cheating, it’s the rarest item in the game, which explains my thought process at the start of all of this. I apologize for how poorly I communicated this, but I guess this can serve as an example of how aggravating and pointless misunderstandings can be for all parties involved.
Very well said sir. Please accept my apology as well. I apologies to anyone else in the forum who I irritated as well. Lol. I know the purpose of this forums is to debate but we strayed off topic. Once again I apologise. I love ALL Terraria players equal no matter their opinions!

Edit whoops didn't see this conversation was being dropped my bad... will be my last reply. >_>

The problem here is assumptions not morals or ways to go about playing the game . Each of these replies in this thread as well as my own are loaded with assumptions they need to be as there is far to much to consider for any concise answer otherwise.

In scientific disciplines it is important for us to recognize as many as possible of these implicit assumptions, ideally all of them first and then try and find the most general realistic assumptions for assessing whatever question.

The biggest one here is that you are assuming players will look for specific seeds why? This is a feature but there is no reason to assume anyone will do this it is an extra unnecessary assumption which restricts the applicable domain of an answer. Remember this requires several assumptions i.e. that someone will google for some item which also assumes they have looked up said item identified it as a rare item they desired and specifically made a world to locate it. That is at least 3 assumptions all of which feel more contrived than the last as they implicitly build on each other. I know I didn't look up the Wiki until I got stuck when I first played Terraria so these assumptions are not applicable in a general sense only applying to a fairly niche community of heavy Terraria players/fans.
I was assuming ppl would look for specific seeds bc it's part of the game now and the official Terraria wiki explains how to use them. Doesn't matter. We will let ppl make their own decisions. Fun debate though.

Totally OK bud. Us video game nerd's can get carried away. You did make valid points.

You still use an enchanted sword shrine seed to get the Terragrim. World's generate so fast in 1.4 that you take an enchanted sword shrine seed and create it over and over til your shrine produces a Terragrim. It doesn't take long, esp if you use one of the small world enchanted sword shrine seeds. I don't remember anybody saying "what's the rarest items without using seeds" and discussing it that way would just be silly considering that's one of the main things ppl use seeds for in the first place. The bottom line is that world gen items are no longer rare nor do they take long to get. You can get a Terragrim in 20 minutes. Lol. Regardless, I would still put the Terraprisma above any item even without seeds and ppl never talk about the Dr. Bones banner. That thing is a :red: to aquire. Lol.

Nothing is rare if you use multiple worlds. I used to do with Sky Items before 1.4 back in the day. Thing is, some people don't want to create multiple worlds. I don't think you should have to either.

I think the rarest is the Rod of Discord. You can’t go AFK on this one because the chaos elementals only spawn if you are moving. Plus, they are pretty uncommon to begin with. I actually got lucky and only had to kill about 350 to get 2 of them.

I think the rarest is the Rod of Discord. You can’t go AFK on this one because the chaos elementals only spawn if you are moving. Plus, they are pretty uncommon to begin with. I actually got lucky and only had to kill about 350 to get 2 of them.
You can totally afk it. Just use a grappling hook or rest something on your spacebar while you have a frog leg equipped .

There are some rare items that don't depend on seed. The Golden Mouse is now even rarer, but now it has some above-ground competition: The Water Strider, Ladybug, and Dragonflies can be golden. (Late ETA: Also the Seahorse!)

Last edited:
I feel like the nymph banner deosn't count.
you need to kill 50 rare enemies,not get a rare item that can potentially drop from the first slime(slime staff) or elemental(ROD) that you kill.
Technically,the nymph banner is a 100% chance.
the pirate stuff is rare,but my rng is so broken the likes that has never been seen beofre

I’m not going to count banners because there are so many rare ones that it’s redundant, and they’re really just low hanging fruit.

We all know that the Coin Gun is rare, but Greedy Ring is even less common - requiring three(!) different pirate drops, and it will on average take much longer to get. I’ve gotten multiple Coin Guns, never once have I gotten all three Greedy Ring pieces.

Plumber’s Hat is stupidly rare. If you thought it was annoying to get the Obsidian Rose to drop, try getting six. That’s roughly how rare it is. Similarly, Robot Hat is rare, but not as much so since the enemies that drop it are more abundant.

Reindeer Bells are incredibly rare as well. They only drop from Ice Queen - past wave 15 of the Frost Moon, with only a 1/30 chance.

I’m not going to count banners because there are so many rare ones that it’s redundant, and they’re really just low hanging fruit.

We all know that the Coin Gun is rare, but Greedy Ring is even less common - requiring three(!) different pirate drops, and it will on average take much longer to get. I’ve gotten multiple Coin Guns, never once have I gotten all three Greedy Ring pieces.

Plumber’s Hat is stupidly rare. If you thought it was annoying to get the Obsidian Rose to drop, try getting six. That’s roughly how rare it is. Similarly, Robot Hat is rare, but not as much so since the enemies that drop it are more abundant.

Reindeer Bells are incredibly rare as well. They only drop from Ice Queen - past wave 15 of the Frost Moon, with only a 1/30 chance.
6 obsidian roses? *chuckles* I've probably gotten more than that,but just sold some of them.That's how long I slaved in the underworld.

Back
Top Bottom