Mythical Beasts & Where to Farm Them: Exploring Terraria's Bestiary

The world of Terraria is so chock-full of content, it can be hard to keep track of it all! Sure, the Guide has you covered for crafting recipes and the Terraria Wiki is fantastic - but don't you wish there was a way to know more about your foes in game? Where can I find the Lost Girl? How much health does a Derpling have? How many coins can I get from farming Jellyfish?

WONDER NO MORE, FOR THE TERRARIA BESTIARY IS HERE!

View attachment 269911

How will you ever fill out this voluminous tome and just what all will it contain? Let's turn the page and begin our careful study of the Terraria Bestiary!

index.php

A TERRARIA BESTIARY PRIMER: WHAT LIES WITHIN

So, what sorts of information can you find within the Terraria Bestiary? Well, that all depends on how far you are willing to go in your studies of the inhabitants of your world! The Terraria Bestiary utilizes a 0-5 Star system to reflect the rarity of a given creature. Not only that, but you will learn more and more about foes and creatures as you defeat them multiple times. What will you learn at each tier?

NOTE: BESTIARY PROGRESS IS TIED TO THE WORLD, NOT THE CHARACTER

View attachment 269746
STAR RARITY EXAMPLES

index.php

BESTIARY ENTRY PROGRESSION

As you gather more research on creatures (by killing them) or NPCs (by talking to them), you will learn more and more valuable information about them - as seen in our example study below on the most famous shambling enemy in Terraria...

View attachment 269745

Pretty cool stuff, huh? With all of this information at your fingertips, you will be able to quickly ascertain what enemy you should be hunting, where it is located, and much, much more. - all without having to click out of the game to visit the Wiki or some other guide. Now that you can see the potential, let's dive into how to get around the Terraria Bestiary!

index.php

THE TERRARIA BESTIARY AND YOU: HOW DOES IT ALL WORK

So, as we said, filling out your Terraria Bestiary is quite simple indeed! Defeat foes, learn stuff, profit. With over 500 creatures to research, how will you ever be able to keep track of it all? Let's discover how you can open and get around the Bestiary!

View attachment 269763

For starters, the icon to open the Bestiary is located inside your Inventory screen, in the lower right corner. Click on that and let's take a look!

View attachment 269764

Pretty cool stuff, huh? What, you don't like all those question marks? Well, get out there and start killing things filling them in! We will be here when you get back.

View attachment 269765

Nice work! Wow, that is a lot of information to take in, isn't it? How will we ever find the information that we want? Read on!

index.php

View attachment 269766
PAGE ARROWS

For starters, you will find a set of page arrows in the upper left corner, allowing you to scroll through the seemingly-endless Bestiary entries at your leisure. Pretty straight forward, assuming you know your left from your right. You do, don't you? %-_-

index.php

View attachment 269915
SORTING

Of course, we do not expect you to just manually scroll about - we are not monsters (well, last we checked, we do not appear in the Bestiary at least)! With this pulldown menu, you can sort your Bestiary in a variety of ways! Which enemy that you have researched drops the most coins on average? What is the most rare fiend that you have yet to tame? All there for you, at the click of a button.

index.php

View attachment 269768
FILTERS

Similarly, you might find yourself wondering "Gee, I wonder what foes I have faced in the Corruption?", or "I don't remember, which creatures come out during the Rain", or maybe "Which biome did I find that Lost Girl hiding in?" - with the robust Bestiary Filters system, you can quickly access this information on the fly!

You can use multiple filters at once - so have fun playing around with various combinations!

index.php

View attachment 269769
SEARCH

Of course, should all else fail... we have equipped the Terraria Bestiary with a good old fashioned text search. Type in the creature you want to gaze upon and off you go!

index.php

CARING FOR THE CREATURES: SAY HELLO TO THE ZOOLOGIST

View attachment 269910

But wait... there's more! Filling out your Bestiary will have other tangible benefits for you to discover, courtesy of the brand new Zoologist NPC!

This friendly caretaker will share a variety of rewards with you as your Bestiary progresses - from fun vanity items to pets to unique kites, and ever more useful tools such as minecarts and much more! Be sure to check in with her from time to time and see what she has to offer!

Let's check out what she has in store for the just-starting-out Bestiary explorer:

View attachment 269770

Included here, we see...

The Guide to Critter Companionship
This fun little book will help keep all of those innocent critters from being needlessly harmed by your actions as you explore your world!

Pet License
Use one of these to bring a friendly pet (perhaps a Dog?) to town!

Dog Ears
The Zoologist has fun animal-themed vanity items for sale - be sure to check back often!

The others, well you will just have to wait and find out for yourself as her inventory evolves and expands thanks to your efforts to fill in the Bestiary!

index.php

TRACKING YOUR PROGRESS

How do you know how much you have filled in and now much you have left to go? Check out the handy progress bar located at the bottom of the Bestiary Page!

View attachment 269916

index.php

We hope you enjoyed this peek into the wild wild world of Terraria's new Bestiary. One week to go, everyone! See you soon...
It is very cool but I just have one question, why don’t all platforms have the same version

It is very cool but I just have one question, why don’t all platforms have the same version
As best as I know, it's cause of the Console Developers... they are stuck operating under far stricter Guidelines then the PC World, thus they are far more Vehement on maximizing Bug Free-ness, Game Stability, & other such hoopla, in combo with Consoles having weaker Hardware & Drive Space then PCs which takes its toll on what Console Versions of stuff can pack in.

I love the Bestiary, great addition to the game, however I personally feel the contrast of the things unlocked should be a little better, I've uploaded an example of suggested change, thoughts?

Attachments

• Terraria Bestiary.jpg
    Terraria Bestiary.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 325
I have the bestiary 99.62% complete right now. I just need the sea turtle and dolphin. So, I have camped out in the ocean for days with battle and hunter potions and water candles. But, still have not seen either. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I am playing on a classic hardmode world.

I have the bestiary 99.62% complete right now. I just need the sea turtle and dolphin. So, I have camped out in the ocean for days with battle and hunter potions and water candles. But, still have not seen either. Does anyone have any pointers for me? I am playing on a classic hardmode world.
I've seen lotsa both those in my Journey World both Pre & Post-Hardmode, but no Net I try on them can ever catch them... (Currently tried Nets: Bug Net, Lava Bug Net, Golden Net.)

Since sea turtles and dolphins are critters, and since a town decreases monster spawns and thus increases critter spawns, I'd suggest making houses for three NPCs by the ocean to create a town, then see if your turtles and dolphins show up. It's weird though, I normally see tons of them. Good luck.

Was able to get a sea turtle, It spawned off screen. Where the ocean continues even though you can't go further. Finally found a dolphin. I now have 100% complete bestiary. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Getting Angry Dandelion and Halloween Skeletons in Hardmode is painful... Dandelions need extreme luck to spawn on Windy Days since slime and other HM stuff spawns, and Halloween Skeletons need to be "regular" ones, but they are HEAVILY replaced by HM Skeletons (Armored and Archer).

Also the fact that you can't "craft" both the Crimson and Corrupt Mimic, but make a whole biome from the evil you don't have in your world and wait for one to spawn is painful too...

i'm pretty sure you just talk to the NPCs to add them to the bestiary... you don't need to kill them.

speaking of the zoologist, though, does anyone know what she was attacking with?

i tried, but for the life of me i couldn't figure out whether she was clawing at enemies, or beating them with something.

anyway, the zoologist is definitely gonna be my favorite NPC. :dryadhappy:
she attacks with her claws Wiki

Back
Top Bottom