In-depth Hardmode weapon tier list

A very good review for weapons, but I would like to give some personal ideas based on my experience that are different about this review:

Coin Gun B+~A+, depending how much inconvenience you could accept.
It acts very well in Bosses, but not very good in normal exploring or events, the main drawback is that you have to prepare your ammo when needed and it can quickly eat away all your coins if you are not careful enough. (and personally I have a tendency of forgetting this)

Megashark A,
Just think it may not be that powerful, especially it needs to take down the Destroyer to get and does not outperform much over Uzi and Onyx Blaster. Also, it is shortly outperformed by Chlorophyte Shortbow.

Brand of the Inferno ?
Maybe not a very good weapon, but the 20 defense is a good addition for tanking some Bosses (especially Moon Lord).

Starlight B+
As its good DPS and Stunlock most enemies, it acts pretty well in exploring locations the dungeons. Also help me fight the Golem, Lunatic Cultist and re-fight Plantera in my recent Master FTW run. It can also be helpful in Solar Pillar. (and by the way, it‘s one of my favorite weapons in 1.4)

In addition, could there be some analysis about pre-hardmode weapons? (even if only the usable weapons in early hardmode)

So... I was in Journey Mode, trying to decide which Mage weapon I like most for Twins, and I was BLOWN AWAY by the Poison Staff's performance. How is nobody talking about this?! I thought before I realized I was using the Venom Staff.

I seem to find Sky Fracture, Crystal Storm and Crystal Serpent are about as awkward as one another while also yielding similar dps, Sky Fracture's controlled spread is great if you're good at it/detrimental if you're not, the Serpent is also not too hard to land over range, but it's dps is a bit more conditional to what the enemy is doing. Crystal Storm is somewhat easier to correct aim-leading with just because it's continuous, it's effective range is decent if your aim is dead on, but otherwise not great. Zapinator is pretty accurate, but it's practical single-target dps doesn't seem to hold up even taking that into account.
Iirc you said Crystal Storm is your favorite, and thx to it's availability I probably agree, but I have a hard time deciding my ideal choice assuming I'm okay spending some time getting a weapon, but am simultaneously doubting it's even worth my time at all.

In addition, could there be some analysis about pre-hardmode weapons? (even if only the usable weapons in early hardmode)
I can't provide a guide by any means, but one thing I noticed on my mage run this time... The Demon Scythe is available VERY early on, and can take down the Wall of Flesh 1st boss with ease, as well as any other pre-hardmode boss. I just went for a Diamond Staff, used that to get Jungle Armor, bought lesser pots to upgrade, got almost full mana/hp bar with hook/hermes during this and then snagged a Water Candle using my hook to speed up the Demon Scythe farm. Think that's all it took to have a comfortable route to this weapon, and it counters all the pre-hardmode bosses functionally, while also having big dps that also deals well with armor better than the Bee Gun. You're ready to jump into hardmode, it's more setup than old Waterbolt but I'd say it's the replacement.

me and my friend where playing in a mastermode for the worthy and the ancor helped a lot
This was before 1.4 came out, where Anchor was worse than it is currently.

Eiiiither way, there are better options than the Anchor that are available out of the gate in hardmode, so I'm guessing the Anchor could be useful if you get it as soon as you fish something up. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get it specifically.

This was before 1.4 came out, where Anchor was worse than it is currently.

Eiiiither way, there are better options than the Anchor that are available out of the gate in hardmode, so I'm guessing the Anchor could be useful if you get it as soon as you fish something up. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get it specifically.
It was updated to include the Empress of light drops and other 1.4 weapons minus Zenith which doesn't need a ranking anyway. Not sure it it is fully up to date or not since the formatting is inconsistent near the end

It was updated to include the Empress of light drops and other 1.4 weapons minus Zenith which doesn't need a ranking anyway. Not sure it it is fully up to date or not since the formatting is inconsistent near the end
I am aware of this, I was just responding to the other person since the statement I made about the Anchor was when the list was made for 1.3 weapon rankings, with the Anchor undoubtedly being an F-tier weapon. It's slightly better now, but I'd still recommend other options as your go-to.

I am aware of this, I was just responding to the other person since the statement I made about the Anchor was when the list was made for 1.3 weapon rankings, with the Anchor undoubtedly being an F-tier weapon. It's slightly better now, but I'd still recommend other options as your go-to.
The pearlwood bow had a better rating than the 1.3 anchor... just to give you some context on how bad it used to be...

I just got a Stake Launcher from Pumpkin Moon and it seems significantly buffed in 1.4.1. I might be reading the update log wrong but it looks like its rate of fire was more than doubled? I wonder how good it is for bossing now. Gets great DPS on target dummies.

I would've rated excalibur B+ for where it is in the game its really good for me I don't like rainbow rod, the crafting recipe is a pain in the butt, and the stats are slightly weaker

I think Baconfry has a very good explanation to why the Stardust Dragon is a 5/5. I'd even dare say it's lightly overpowered, and I don't use that term lightly.
Apart from everything Baconfry mentioned, you can even effortlessly kill the final boss with it. Need to grind for something? Bring out the dragon, park yourself in a safe spot, go AFK, return every 10-15 minutes to collect your ill-gotten gains. No safe spots, like in the Dungeon? Just run around, dodging everything, while your dragon does the rest. Clean up on aisle four!
This thing does everything, and that all for a measly 18 fragments.

Even though I do think the Cell Staff is amazing, it doesn't hold a candle to the multipurpose Dragon.
I agree with this by a lot, star cell staff can only shoot one enemy at at time while the dragons multiple targets get destroyed by its segments that hit them multiple times per second,

I would've rated excalibur B+ for where it is in the game its really good for me I don't like rainbow rod, the crafting recipe is a pain in the butt, and the stats are slightly weaker
You're kidding right?
Excalibur has roughly the same dps as the shadowflame knife, but has much less range, and requires you to kill a mech boss.
Compared to the light disc it has less dps and range, and that's only B-
Chain guilitines too have both more dps and range, and they're only B-

nope im not kidding it is the same sword that helped me get terra blade, Its the same sword that helped me get true excalibur and nights edge (it was literraly my best weapon)

nope im not kidding it is the same sword that helped me get terra blade, Its the same sword that helped me get true excalibur and nights edge (it was literraly my best weapon)
I don't think the weapons are rated based on what they turn into. Being a glorified crafting material doesn't say anything about how good the sword itself is at combat

Where would you say you stand with some of these now that 1.4.1 is out?
I think biggest changes are:

True Night Edge and True Excalibur: were overrated on Bacon's list, they're A now.
Brand of Inferno: D -> C, not really big changes
Flying Dragon: B -> S, to make doing that whole event worth it
Sky Dragon's Fury: B -> A
Betsy Wrath: no change at all, people were overreacting about doubling its damage, it is still an S but only due to the debuff
Desert Tiger: D -> A
Optic Staff: C -> B
Explosive Trap: D -> C
Frost Hydra: C -> A, useful for OOA and not much else
Charged Blaster Cannon: B -> S
Ghastly Glaive: F -> C

I think that's it, a lot of other weapons might have changed their standing on their current tier, but that's it for major changes.

I think biggest changes are:

True Night Edge and True Excalibur: were overrated on Bacon's list, they're A now.
Brand of Inferno: D -> C, not really big changes
Flying Dragon: B -> S, to make doing that whole event worth it
Sky Dragon's Fury: B -> A
Betsy Wrath: no change at all, people were overreacting about doubling its damage, it is still an S but only due to the debuff
Desert Tiger: D -> A
Optic Staff: C -> B
Explosive Trap: D -> C
Frost Hydra: C -> A, useful for OOA and not much else
Charged Blaster Cannon: B -> S
Ghastly Glaive: F -> C

I think that's it, a lot of other weapons might have changed their standing on their current tier, but that's it for major changes.
Is desert tiger really that good now? Haven’t tried it since I’m on mobile - I take it accuracy problems were fixed?

Is desert tiger really that good now? Haven’t tried it since I’m on mobile - I take it accuracy problems were fixed?

Just obtained it in my newest run, and it’s very powerful now after its AI fix - rightfully so as a biome weapon. It hits like an oil tanker and basically glues itself to the enemy, dealing a phenominal amount of DPS. Possibly competes with Xeno in terms of boss killing, and could be even better for the Empress specifically.

Trade off is that there’s only one of them and they’re ground based so it’s really not that useful for invasions, which is the most prominent threat for post-Plantera. Still rightfully powerful for its tier.

Just obtained it in my newest run, and it’s very powerful now after its AI fix - rightfully so as a biome weapon. It hits like an oil tanker and basically glues itself to the enemy, dealing a phenominal amount of DPS. Possibly competes with Xeno in terms of boss killing, and could be even better for the Empress specifically.
When used against Empres of light desert tiger literally ust hovers over Empress for most of the fight barely doing any damage.

When used against Empres of light desert tiger literally ust hovers over Empress for most of the fight barely doing any damage.

I haven’t seen the tiger do this myself. I found this video and the tiger was hitting the Empress reliably the whole time, and I had the same reliability when fighting the second phase Queen Slime to play with it after picking it up. I’ll use it against the Empress myself when I get there probably within the next few days, see what happens.

Pretty weird bug though, and it sounds like would definitely hurt its rank. I imagine it’ll be fixed though.

I haven’t seen the tiger do this myself. I found this video and the tiger was hitting the Empress reliably the whole time, and I had the same reliability when fighting the second phase Queen Slime to play with it after picking it up. I’ll use it against the Empress myself when I get there probably within the next few days, see what happens.

Pretty weird bug though, and it sounds like would definitely hurt its rank. I imagine it’ll be fixed though.
strange... this is what happens with my tiger
gyazo.com

Back
Top Bottom