Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight, this the fact that Ranged set's special perk is ammo reduction is probably a massive convenience and lucky, given how much power bloat the class's gear got throughout the years. I can't imagine how much stronger the class would have been if it had some sort of additional combat-impacting perk instead.
I've always found ammo consumption to be important in the late game, when you're using Chlorohyte ammunition and the bars are fairly valuable. Early game, especially with how much easier Fallen Stars and by proxy Jester's Arrows are to come by it has never been an issue.

I've always found ammo consumption to be important in the late game, when you're using Chlorohyte ammunition and the bars are fairly valuable. Early game, especially with how much easier Fallen Stars and by proxy Jester's Arrows are to come by it has never been an issue.
Really? People mainly use Chlorophyte ammo late game? Huh, I thought Crystal and Holy were the mains.

Really? People mainly use Chlorophyte ammo late game? Huh, I thought Crystal and Holy were the mains.
This is for stuff like chain gun, Holy does get a fair bit of use from me and it is also a bit of a pain to get, though certainly less so than Chlorophyte. At any rate Chloro seems to be a very popular late-game ammo choice even after Luminite becomes available (at which point things like damage and boss killing efficiency really don't matter anymore).

Chlorophyte ensures that your actual DPS (the amount of damage you actually deal, after accounting for missed shots, being out of range, not having line of sign, stopping to use other items, etc) most closely matches your optimal DPS (the maximum possible damage you could do in a perfect scenario).

Crystal Bullets might have a higher optimal DPS, but missed shots and time spent focusing on evasion/dodging ensure that it is harder to maintain that optimal DPS. Chlorophyte, on the other hand, makes it very easy to reach near-optimal DPS, even from off screen when in full retreat.

That trait also offers it a substantial boost in survivability, as it is capable of being used effectively from a position of significant distance, which other bullets can't ensure.

That isn't to say that a perfect dodging, never-miss pro won't deal more damage with a higher DPS bullet. Merely that Chlorophyte is much easier to reach such success with.

(Old) Holy Arrows, on the other hand, were a totally different beast, their optimal DPS being so extraordinarily high that not much could compete.

I guess my point is that at the time you can get Fossil you don't need ammo conservation so much as actual damage. To be fair it having the same ammo conservation bonus as Necro, which is already my go-to armor for going into hardmode, seems to eat up a lot of the room for other bonuses it could have. Removing that in favor of even a small damage bonus might be worthwhile, although perhaps the true purpose of Fossil Armor was always to synergize with an early minishark.

I guess my point is that at the time you can get Fossil you don't need ammo conservation so much as actual damage. To be fair it having the same ammo conservation bonus as Necro, which is already my go-to armor for going into hardmode, seems to eat up a lot of the room for other bonuses it could have. Removing that in favor of even a small damage bonus might be worthwhile, although perhaps the true purpose of Fossil Armor was always to synergize with an early minishark.
necro doesn't have ammo resorvation anymore its set bonus has been changed.
If you want an early game armor to boost your offense ninja and pupkin do that job better.

necro doesn't have ammo resorvation anymore its set bonus has been changed.
If you want an early game armor to boost your offense ninja and pupkin do that job better.
Oh wow, I genuinely never noticed that. Maybe ammo conservation really is bad...
Fossil being a low defense high damage set could work. 10% ranged crit and 10% ranged damage would clearly put it a cut above the rest of the damage bonus armors at this stage, while still leaving room for Necro.
I still like my suggestion for the Obsidian Armor set providing around 15% dodge chance and no defense, but Fossil is genuinely more deserving of a buff here. There are so many more hoops to jump through (surviving the desert, extractinator) that it may be just under Jungle Armor in difficulty to get right off the bat.

I must plug the evil biome chest weapon + opposite evil biome key = opposite evil biome chest weapon idea, I think it's a good way to allow for corruption users to get vamp knives (and for crimson users to use the scourge... I guess...)

OOA is a very difficult level three event, but with more players, it becomes almost impossible.
A good solution would be to increase the wave size in proportion to the number of players instead of increasing the enemy statistics.
Another idea would be to increase Etherian Man's drop as the number of players increases.

OOA is a very difficult level three event, but with more players, it becomes almost impossible.
A good solution would be to increase the wave size in proportion to the number of players instead of increasing the enemy statistics.
Another idea would be to increase Etherian Man's drop as the number of players increases.
From my experince OOA is a bit easier and a lot more fun in multiplayer.

From my experince OOA is a bit easier and a lot more fun in multiplayer.

The opponents statistics are increasing absurdly, and the turrets, which should be the main weapon of the event, become almost useless and it turns into a standard combat like during an invasion.

If the name of the biome chest has been changed from "Frozen Chest" to "Ice Chest", shouldn't the name of the biome key be changed from "Frozen Key" to "Ice Key"?

I think its time to close this thread, its somewhat derailing into something like a general suggestion/report thread, despite the fact that that is not its purpose, and that balance changes are closed.

I think I'll consider opening it back up for change feedback when 1.4.1 hits, in case any adjustments need to be made to my changes. So I'll see you guys then. :)

In preparation for today's release, I'm re-opening this thread for discussion of the impending balance changes.

I suspect this will not be followed to the letter, but to direct continuing discussion for the remainder of this thread:
- I cannot promise that there will be subsequent balance changes at all. Additional balance work will be done as time permits.
- Any balance work I engage in will almost certainly be revisions/adjustments to 1.4.1 balance changes. It is highly unlikely I will be doing balance work on content that was not touched by 1.4.1. So for instance, if 1.4.1 did not buff/nerf <Example Weapon A>, then I probably will not be making said changes to it in follow-up hotfixes either.
- As such, I'd ask that discussion should related to changes made in 1.4.1, and feedback relating to them or any urgent follow-up tweaks that may need to be made on them.

Much like with the 1.4 release, bug reporting, logging forum reports, and retesting fixes internally is my primary work focus, and will always come first over balance work. Both responding in this thread, and whether or not I make any further adjustments will be based on how much my time allows.

So, with that said, in the chance that this is the last time I make any changes, I want to to thank you all for your feedback. I didn't necessarily agree with all of it, and some of it that I did agree with, I wasn't able to change, but there are a substantial number of changes in my list that were made due to inspiration and discussion from this thread, and a number of changes I was on the fence about, but was convinced due to well-spoken arguments in favor from the posters here. So thank you all for your participation, and I look forward to your response and feedback on the 1.4.1 changes!

(See you all later today! I'll be posting the balance changes in this thread, as well as the standard changelog thread!)

I apologize for not being entirely on topic, but will PvP invincibility frames still work properly in 1.4.1? This is probably the only thing I'm concerned about, so to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom