Switch Switch multiplayer problem

SteveS

Terrarian
So me and my friend played on his map for at least 50 hours with only minor issues. But then it started kicking me out every couple hours or so, then every 30 min and now it only lets me on for about 5 seconds before it kicks me out. And about every other time i try to join it also kicks my friend and ends the session.
Odd thing is it allows me to join on a different map with no major problems.
Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this or is that map a goner?

Hello,

I am having a very similar issue on my girlfriends hosted world. We have played together a little over 50 hours and have not really had any issues I got disconnected once before that I can remember. Now starting today every time I just the world I load in and instantly get booted out the world saves and I get a Connection Timed Out error. After every 5 or more attempts to join her hosted world she will also get disconnected when I try and join.

Also having this problem. Posting here in hopes that a larger number of people present will get mod attention.

My fiance and I play on the same internet connection too, so I can't see why the connection is so consistently bad. Here's hoping to a swift hotfix.

Also having this issue for the past couple of days, my fiancé and I have been playing on a multiplayer world for the past week and the disconnections are getting worse and it’s unplayable. When he joins the world it shows in the corner ‘x has joined’ and immediately after ‘x has left’ it will then kick him from the game and I will be kicked 5 seconds later

we have spent hours on this world so I hope the issue can be fixed quickly

Also having this.
We have 3 switches in the house and each has issues. I did notice that mine is far less and I'm using the newest switch with the better Tegra processor.

Hi @SteveS @Beltizar @Metaloneus @MeganLD and @Opokadot — sorry to hear you’re having these issues, thanks for sharing.

If you haven’t already I suggest you send in as much detail as possible to Pipeworks (the developers of the console version) here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form. This is a bug report form that goes directly to Pipeworks, so you can be assured they get it. The console devs rely on that bug report form heavily to get info about issues from players as opposed to browsing these forums. You likely won’t get a reply, but the info does get to the development team.

I also suggest you contact 505 Games (the publishers of the console version) through their Support Portal to see if they have any insight into your issue. You may need to create an account to open a support ticket: Terraria (Console). You should receive a response if you open a support ticket.

Even though you may only get a response from one of these avenues, I do suggest sending it in to both as one goes straight to the developers and the other can possibly offer some support.

1578426301248.png

Best of luck. If I hear of any possible solutions or workarounds I’ll let you know.

I'm just coming in to say that I'm having the exact same problem with my boyfriends hosted world where we've spent about 30 or so hours together on. I have noticed for some reason if I make a new character it will let us play again for about a week before the issue starts up like before. Its very frustrating and I've already reported the bug once.

Hey just so there is more awareness of this happening Im also having this issue. Sometimes "x player has joined!" Wont even show it will just say "x player has left!".

Also it has started force saving and closing the host world when the player fails to join. Like all of you we have spent many hours on the world and other worlds load just fine. The very strange thing is that one player is able to join without a problem and one cannot join at all.

I have submitted detailed bug reports already. Heres hoping this is fixed best of luck to everyone :)

I'm just coming in to say that I'm having the exact same problem with my boyfriends hosted world where we've spent about 30 or so hours together on. I have noticed for some reason if I make a new character it will let us play again for about a week before the issue starts up like before. Its very frustrating and I've already reported the bug once.
Hey just so there is more awareness of this happening Im also having this issue. Sometimes "x player has joined!" Wont even show it will just say "x player has left!".

Also it has started force saving and closing the host world when the player fails to join. Like all of you we have spent many hours on the world and other worlds load just fine. The very strange thing is that one player is able to join without a problem and one cannot join at all.

I have submitted detailed bug reports already. Heres hoping this is fixed best of luck to everyone :)
Hi @unicronic and @IAMTerry, thanks for adding in your experience with this issue as well, and good to know that you’ve both sent in bug reports straight to Pipeworks, the console developers.

Does it make any difference if you completely shut off the Switch in between sessions? (hold Power Button for 3-5 seconds>Power Settings>Restart)

Hi @unicronic and @IAMTerry, thanks for adding in your experience with this issue as well, and good to know that you’ve both sent in bug reports straight to Pipeworks, the console developers.

Does it make any difference if you completely shut off the Switch in between sessions? (hold Power Button for 3-5 seconds>Power Settings>Restart)
No sadly not, I've tried with both the host and person joining reset the game completely and switch completely, both together and individually.

But this doesnt change anything it really seems up to chance whether they connect but as we have progressed further that chance of them joining has greatly decreased.

No sadly not, I've tried with both the host and person joining reset the game completely and switch completely, both together and individually.

But this doesnt change anything it really seems up to chance whether they connect but as we have progressed further that chance of them joining has greatly decreased.
Thanks for the reply and following up @IAMTerry, bummer to hear restarting/completely closing didn't have any affect. I wasn't sure if it would, but thought it was worth a try. If you find any pattern to why/when it occurs to you, be sure and send in the info to the developers.

For others that are stopping by here, you can send your information straight to the console developers, Pipeworks, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

I recently ran into the problem exactly as described in my own game with my girlfriend. I think I found a work around which I've sent to Pipeworks, but I hope this works for you guys!

If you are experiencing this problem, try going into settings and disabling the client side map. You should be able to enter the hosted game with the map disabled without a problem. You have to play with the map disabled for half an hour or so. Afterwards, re-enabling the map still allowed me to join my girlfriend's game. However, it still loses connection after a few hours or so, so I have to "reset" the behavior by turning the map off and playing with it disabled again for a little bit.

Kind of annoying, but it's been working for the past few days for me. Copied and pasted my bug report below just in case there's any details that helps anyone recognize the problem :)

ISSUE SUMMARY
A new large world was created and played on with 2 people in multiplayer.

After approximately 20 hours of total play time in the world, the client game began experiencing "lost connection" messages. At first, this occurred about an hour into a session (it may have first occurred during a host side auto-save, but do not recall).

After attempting a reconnect, the host game will automatically drop the client immediately after entering the world. There is no impact in behavior to the host.

TROUBLESHOOTING
1) Software was restarted on both client and host
2) Both switches were power cycled
3) A different client character was able to successfully enter the original host large world. The behavior did not initially present, but after an hour of exploration the persistent lost connection messages returned.
4) The entire inventory of the crashing characters were dumped into a chest in a separate world. When joining the original host large world with an empty inventory, there was no lost connection for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, the behavior described above would begin occurring again.
5) A new large world was created and hosted by the same host. The client was able to join and play for two hours without a crash. Attempting to return to the original host large world resulted in the same crash.

WORK AROUND
Entering "settings" and setting "Map" to "Disabled" allowed for the original client character (with full inventory) to join world. After playing for an hour or so with the map disabled, exiting and re-enabling the map allows the client character to continue playing for several hours without losing connection. The client will eventually lose connection and restart the problem, but setting the map to "disabled" again appears to "reset" the issue.

OBSERVATIONS
The error reporting usually shows "Lost connection to server." Sometimes the client will instead hang and the host will receive a "Player2 has disconnected" message. The hang went on for about 15 minutes before the software was restarted.

Setting the map to "disabled' causes the client to load much quicker than with the map enabled.

The frequency of the lost connection seems to increase as more of the large world is discovered. The first time a lost connection occurred was after exploring a significant portion of the dungeon for the first time. The 2nd client character did not disconnect until a significant portion of the jungle and dungeon was explored.

The lost connections do seem to sometimes occur during a host auto-save, although I cannot say with certainty that it always occurs during a host auto-save.

Last edited:
I recently ran into the problem exactly as described in my own game with my girlfriend. I think I found a work around which I've sent to Pipeworks, but I hope this works for you guys!

If you are experiencing this problem, try going into settings and disabling the client side map. You should be able to enter the hosted game with the map disabled without a problem. You have to play with the map disabled for half an hour or so. Afterwards, re-enabling the map still allowed me to join my girlfriend's game. However, it still loses connection after a few hours or so, so I have to "reset" the behavior by turning the map off and playing with it disabled again for a little bit.

Kind of annoying, but it's been working for the past few days for me. Copied and pasted my bug report below just in case there's any details that helps anyone recognize the problem :)

ISSUE SUMMARY

After approximately 20 hours of total play time in the world, the client game began experiencing "lost connection" messages. At first, this occurred about an hour into a session (it may have first occurred during a host side auto-save, but do not recall).

After attempting a reconnect, the host game will automatically drop the client immediately after entering the world. There is no impact in behavior to the host.

TROUBLESHOOTING
3) A different client character was able to successfully enter the original host large world. The behavior did not initially present, but after an hour of exploration the persistent lost connection messages returned.
4) The entire inventory of the crashing characters were dumped into a chest in a separate world. When joining the original host large world with an empty inventory, there was no lost connection for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, the behavior described above would begin occurring again.
5) A new large world was created and hosted by the same host. The client was able to join and play for two hours without a crash. Attempting to return to the original host large world resulted in the same crash.

WORK AROUND
Entering "settings" and setting "Map" to "Disabled" allowed for the original client character (with full inventory) to join world. After playing for an hour or so with the map disabled, exiting and re-enabling the map allows the client character to continue playing for several hours without losing connection. The client will eventually lose connection and restart the problem, but setting the map to "disabled" again appears to "reset" the issue.

OBSERVATIONS
The error reporting usually shows "Lost connection to server." Sometimes the client will instead hang and the host will receive a "Player2 has disconnected" message. The hang went on for about 15 minutes before the software was restarted.

Setting the map to "disabled' causes the client to load much quicker than with the map enabled.

The frequency of the lost connection seems to increase as more of the large world is discovered. The first time a lost connection occurred was after exploring a significant portion of the dungeon for the first time. The 2nd client character did not disconnect until a significant portion of the jungle and dungeon was explored.

The lost connections do seem to sometimes occur during a host auto-save, although I cannot say with certainty that it always occurs during a host auto-save.
Really great info @chantastic93, thanks so much for sharing!

ISSUE SUMMARY

TROUBLESHOOTING

WORK AROUND

OBSERVATIONS

I can confirm that this does work. I was unable to even join worlds on local multi. Would just pop up saying i left without even joining. I disabled the map and then was able to play. Played for several hours with no issues!! I have not re-enabled my map yet to see if it causes the problem again, but I may just leave it alone for now till its fixed...

ISSUE SUMMARY

TROUBLESHOOTING

WORK AROUND

OBSERVATIONS

Really great work. I had tried playing with someone else but had all sorts of issues. I'm glad that there are some workarounds but still bummed that it is an issue at all.

Are people still getting this or is it just me and my friend and he has disabled his map mine is on someone pls answer

Last edited:
We're having some weird connection issues. 3 switches, all have online switch accounts, all users are friends to each other (required to see and join games). Sometimes joining works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, switch 1 can join a game hosted on switch 2, but it sometimes refuses to work in a vice-versa setup. Reset the network hub, reset the network for each switch (clear network, rejoin), restart game... etc. It's just doomed to failure.

The tell for us is when you join the game it gets stuck on "found server" and if you see that, it definitely won't work -- it times out about 30 seconds later. I'm a game programmer with network experience, and totally boggle why this happens. Seems to only be a problem with Terraria and have never experienced this with another game. I haven't tried new worlds/new characters, but that defeats the purpose of that.

We're having some weird connection issues. 3 switches, all have online switch accounts, all users are friends to each other (required to see and join games). Sometimes joining works, sometimes it doesn't. For example, switch 1 can join a game hosted on switch 2, but it sometimes refuses to work in a vice-versa setup. Reset the network hub, reset the network for each switch (clear network, rejoin), restart game... etc. It's just doomed to failure.

The tell for us is when you join the game it gets stuck on "found server" and if you see that, it definitely won't work -- it times out about 30 seconds later. I'm a game programmer with network experience, and totally boggle why this happens. Seems to only be a problem with Terraria and have never experienced this with another game. I haven't tried new worlds/new characters, but that defeats the purpose of that.

we have this same problem
One switch can join friends world no problem other one can not
But the one that can not join friends world can join when I host
Can’t figure out why the second switch can’t join other friends world at all

Back
Top Bottom