Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
am i missing something here...?
This has been an on-going thing, I may be new to the Terraria forums, but I'm also on Steam (have been for several years). The discussion just happened to make its way here, but it's quite old. The main reason I joined the forums was because of the Vanity Contest, I didn't come here with some kind of agenda to take over or something...

I've always wondered why the world-corruption could so easily ruin the jungle with no way to fix it beyond preventing it in the first place or destroying the area entirely.. It's the only primary biome that suffers in such a way.
It's an artifact of the earlier versions of Terraria's development. Hardmode was just a challenge mode so things like biome spread didn't need to be balanced, same thing about the jungle in hardmode. Jungle use to have no purpose in hardmode so it didn't matter if it was destroyed or not.

I give up.. you don’t get it either hey @Snapshot03 cam you tell us why you really meant
This has been an on-going thing, I may be new to the Terraria forums, but I'm also on Steam (have been for several years). The discussion just happened to make its way here, but it's quite old. The main reason I joined the forums was because of the Vanity Contest, I didn't come here with some kind of agenda to take over or something...

doesn't change the fact that you're just a fan, yet you're talking as if you know better than the creators of the game and that they should listen to you and only you.

steam means nothing to me, so i dunno why you bring that up.

It's an artifact of the earlier versions of Terraria's development. Hardmode was just a challenge mode so things like biome spread didn't need to be balanced, same thing about the jungle in hardmode. Jungle use to have no purpose in hardmode so it didn't matter if it was destroyed or not.

still seems like something that should've changed along the way, since the jungle has become probably the most important biome in the game.

i suppose that is why it gets its own special seed, turning the entire world into the jungle.

i can't wait to make a "not the bees" world... hope DR finishes mobile soon so they can get to work on console.

I meant will there be more updates after 1.4.1
There will be bugfixes, but no content updates.
I give up.. you don’t get it either hey @Snapshot03 cam you tell us why you really meant
I don't get why you thought he was asking about console in a thread that is meant for a PC exclusive update (for now). Also the fact that if you look at his profile he does in fact own the PC version.

doesn't change the fact that you're just a fan, yet you're talking as if you know better than the creators of the game and that they should listen to you and only you.
steam means nothing to me, so i dunno why you bring that up.
You asked, "did I miss something"? I'm telling you yes, you missed like 4+ years of me trying to figure out why I couldn't get into this game, Terraria. Steam is where I came from, a place where you can discuss Terraria & post videos, the official forums are new to me, but the conversations aren't any different.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the game, but I think you're using the fact that I'm new here, as an excuse to be dismissive. Before 1.4.0 released, I had plans on creating an entire Tutorial Map, to try & explain the fundamentals of this game to a newer player. I got lucky & "Journey Mode" was announced, which made my 2+ year project obsolete. I've been dissecting this game for about 2 & 1/2 years, I know how difficult it is to balance, because I specialize in some areas. It's not that I know better than the devs, it's that we have a lot of the same goals.

Back in July 2019, I officially released my own State of the Game address, it was a personal declaration that I happened to share with a small group of friends, if you notice how much work I was putting into making Terraria feel like an actual game, you'd understand that I'm actually a bit shocked & grateful that the devs are fans of this game too, but, that can cut both ways, as sometimes fans don't know when to stop! I never imagined that the devs would OD, but these newer 1.4.1 additions are questionable.

We're actually at a point in gaming, that I'd never thought I'd see, where the devs actually need to stop. Typically it's the fanbase pushing for new stuff, when the devs have likely already moved on, creatively & emotionally. If that's the case, it's our job to be the voice of reason. This is a unique situation & I don't expect anyone to understand, because most fans would keep adding stuff to this game, to the point that it breaks. I'm not one of those fans... 🤷‍♂️ 🥤

To be honest I have to agree with this, Toxiphilite, you're talking like the developers pay attention to literally everyone and they have picked you out as someone who knows best.
Are you willing to tell the developers to "stop"? What I'm saying is, I have yet to meet another fan who is willing to tell the developer they've done a great job & can now stop working so hard. Creating a video game isn't easy & the number of brain cells these gais must be burning, trying to iron this game out are tremendous. I can relate because I've used that kind of brain power to create clever reference & designs for this game, taking it's original source material into account. There people have done a tremendous job & are doing the impossible, we need to have the willpower to let them know they've done enough.

I try not to critique you gais, because I know a LOT of Terraria fans are young, & don't understand things like humility & moderation yet. Even so, as I said earlier, it's our responsibility to look out for the people who are doing so much for us & to help where we can. I just wanna help the devs because they're working themselves into exhaustion; I don't expect the average player to understand that or care, but I do.

20200508173152_1.jpg

Are you willing to tell the developers to "stop"? What I'm saying is, I have yet to meet another fan who is willing to tell the developer they've done a great job & can now stop working so hard. Creating a video game isn't easy & the number of brain cells these gais must be burning, trying to iron this game out are tremendous. I can relate because I've used that kind of brain power to create clever reference & designs for this game, taking it's original source material into account. There people have done a tremendous job & are doing the impossible, we need to have the willpower to let them know they've done enough.

I think there's a difference between "the game is in a good place now, so you can stop making new content" and "you need to stop making new content". These are different statements with different meanings. The first is a suggestion; the second is a demand.

I would have been fine with Terraria 1.3.5 if they never made 1.4.0. Is 1.4.0 better? Mostly. Is 1.4.1 better than that? Mostly. But at no point do I feel that users have some "obligation" to demand that the developers stop making content. I can speak my mind about the quality of any particular piece of content. But that's a statement about a particular piece of content.

If you want to say that the developers ought to stop making content, fine. If you think some of their newer stuff is "questionable", fine; make that argument. But if you want to make the even stronger statement that we the community ought to agree with you, then you're going to have to put forth a lot stronger case than you have such far. That is, you have to convince us that "these newer 1.4.1 additions are questionable."

Because outside of happiness, a lot of people seem happier with the balance and item changes that were made.

I try not to critique you gais, because I know a LOT of Terraria fans are young, & don't understand things like humility & moderation yet.

And apparently, some older Terraria fans aren't aware that being condescending is not an effective tactic for getting people to agree with you.

VANITY OVERHAUL

Vanity Overhaul? What exactly do we mean here? Well - the way armors and vanity sets used to work was a bit limiting, particularly in regards to the way "back" items worked. So, we made it better! For just one example: why pick between showing Wings or a Cape, for example, when you can have both!

Armors and vanity items which draw on the back (backpacks, tails, wings, and capes) are now no longer mutually exclusive. This means that you can now have one of any of those four categories all displaying at the same time. Previously, only one of those could ever be visible at a time (for instance, if you had visible wings, you could not ever see a cape, backpack, or tail).

Here is a visual explaining what we mean:

1602526398953.png

1602526472013.png

Prior to Terraria 1.4.1: The use of visible wings prevented capes from being visible, while the use of capes prevented shields from being visible.

1602526494133.png

In 1.4.1, these elements no longer conflict with each other, and can be used together in various combinations

There are even more overhauls to the vanity system to explore, so be sure to check out the full changelog for all the juicy details!
Can you make capes work with mounts too?

I think there's a difference between "the game is in a good place now, so you can stop making new content" and "you need to stop making new content". These are different statements with different meanings. The first is a suggestion; the second is a demand.
There's no way it would ever be possible for me to demand anything of anyone here, I've been the vocal minority both here & on the Steam forums. There's very few times that anyone here has ever agreed with my point of view on things, very rarely. I'm not sure how anyone here could conclude that I'm demanding anything. If you are equating the fact that it makes you uncomfortable that, yes, your duty as a fellow human being, is to look out for your fellow man, well... that's a different topic. Looking after the people who do right by you & their health is a civic duty, if you find it too much to bare or consider, it's not totally unusual, it happens often. 🤷‍♂️🥤 No one can demand this of you, but they can remind you that it's your moral obligation to uphold, just like washing your hands or covering your mouth when you sneeze. Like I said, you should do it, but I've seen people who just don't...

I would have been fine with Terraria 1.3.5 if they never made 1.4.0. Is 1.4.0 better? Mostly. Is 1.4.1 better than that? Mostly. But at no point do I feel that users have some "obligation" to demand that the developers stop making content. I can speak my mind about the quality of any particular piece of content. But that's a statement about a particular piece of content.
As I said, you can... & I don't recall ever suggesting to you personally that you should stop asking for things. I just recognize that the developers are showing signs of overworking, frustration & fatigue. That's a sign of burnout & the humane thing to do is tell a person that they should probably stop & if stopping is impossible, lend a helping hand. It's a simple concept, really. This isn't to be snarly either, as I said before, a LOT of things are easy, like washing your hands, but you'd be shocked at the number of people who don't bother to do it, even though peoples lives may be at risk, they simply can't be bothered. 🤷‍♂️🥤

If you want to say that the developers ought to stop making content, fine. If you think some of their newer stuff is "questionable", fine; make that argument. But if you want to make the even stronger statement that we the community ought to agree with you, then you're going to have to put forth a lot stronger case than you have such far. That is, you have to convince us that "these newer 1.4.1 additions are questionable."
No I don't. I'm saying "wash your hands please." Once you say "no", there's nothing I can do to make you do it.

Because outside of happiness, a lot of people seem happier with the balance and item changes that were made.
I'm happy with them too, but I also care about the welfare of the people making these changes. Terraria is extremely hard to balance, I know this from experience. They're not gonna be able to please everyone & are gonna have to come to terms with that. I did my part by mostly solving the issue with Summoner, which I saw coming a mile away. I did my part, but the only reason we are having this discussion is because people are critical of my methods, which is fair. I don't mind making people angry, especially if it saves them from themselves. I'm not the type of person or friend who enables people, if your on some BS, I'm the friend who's gonna tell you, even at the cost of our friendship. 🤷‍♂️🥤

And apparently, some older Terraria fans aren't aware that being condescending is not an effective tactic for getting people to agree with you.
I'm 1000% against crunch culture in the videogames industry. I don't care who agrees with me or not, it's unhealthy.

you should be able to choose between mineral sets, sometimes I spend time creating worlds with the minerals I want.
The 1.2 minerals are objectively better than the prior ones and this would make world variety far less interesting for the people who know what they’re doing. Tin is always stronger than copper, lead is always stronger than iron, tungsten is always stronger than silver, and platinum is always stronger than gold. There are no exceptions to this.

As I said, you can... & I don't recall ever suggesting to you personally that you should stop asking for things. I just recognize that the developers are showing signs of overworking, frustration & fatigue. That's a sign of burnout & the humane thing to do is tell a person that they should probably stop & if stopping is impossible, lend a helping hand.

Then perhaps you should consider that what you see as "signs of overworking, frustration & fatigue" may in fact not be those things. Or that other people don't necessarily agree that what you see as signs of those things are actually indicative of them. And therefore, when they react negatively to your suggestions, that they're not doing so from a position where they want the developers to work themselves to death.

No I don't. I'm saying "wash your hands please."

At no point in this conversation have you said anything approaching the politeness implied by the word "please".

I'm 1000% against crunch culture in the videogames industry. I don't care who agrees with me or not, it's unhealthy.

But since nobody here has said anything about supporting crunch culture, I don't know why that matters.

You asked, "did I miss something"? I'm telling you yes, you missed like 4+ years of me trying to figure out why I couldn't get into this game, Terraria. Steam is where I came from, a place where you can discuss Terraria & post videos, the official forums are new to me, but the conversations aren't any different.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the game, but I think you're using the fact that I'm new here, as an excuse to be dismissive. Before 1.4.0 released, I had plans on creating an entire Tutorial Map, to try & explain the fundamentals of this game to a newer player. I got lucky & "Journey Mode" was announced, which made my 2+ year project obsolete. I've been dissecting this game for about 2 & 1/2 years, I know how difficult it is to balance, because I specialize in some areas. It's not that I know better than the devs, it's that we have a lot of the same goals.

Back in July 2019, I officially released my own State of the Game address, it was a personal declaration that I happened to share with a small group of friends, if you notice how much work I was putting into making Terraria feel like an actual game, you'd understand that I'm actually a bit shocked & grateful that the devs are fans of this game too, but, that can cut both ways, as sometimes fans don't know when to stop! I never imagined that the devs would OD, but these newer 1.4.1 additions are questionable.

We're actually at a point in gaming, that I'd never thought I'd see, where the devs actually need to stop. Typically it's the fanbase pushing for new stuff, when the devs have likely already moved on, creatively & emotionally. If that's the case, it's our job to be the voice of reason. This is a unique situation & I don't expect anyone to understand, because most fans would keep adding stuff to this game, to the point that it breaks. I'm not one of those fans... 🤷‍♂️ 🥤

I try not to critique you gais, because I know a LOT of Terraria fans are young, & don't understand things like humility & moderation yet. Even so, as I said earlier, it's our responsibility to look out for the people who are doing so much for us & to help where we can. I just wanna help the devs because they're working themselves into exhaustion; I don't expect the average player to understand that or care, but I do.

View attachment 295004

again, just attempting to make sense of everything here... you said you weren't able to get into terraria... i don't see how, i got into it right away, as did many others.

you then say... you put a ton of work into "making it feel like an actual game"... implying the devs FAILED to create a game, when it seems like you just didn't care for the game, so that view is more subjective, it didn't meet your interests, so you deemed it a failure?

again, everything i am reading, it sounds like you are indeed saying you know better than the creators of the game.

if the developers were creatively and emotionally burned out on terraria... they would stop.

you're assuming that it is the fans' desires pushing them to keep adding more, and are claiming that it is "ruining the game".

also, you saying "most fans would keep adding stuff to the game" ...they do, typically through mods, which i personally don't approve of.

i've always had a grudge against mods and modders, i just feel like it's spreading filth over a work of art, but seeing as some official stuff is probably inspired by mods, i can't necessarily claim it's wrong altogether, only in my own personal views, cause mods ruin games for me and makes them feel less genuine and drives them further from the creators' vision, which is what originally appealed to me.

either way, i'm not out here telling the developers to "stop putting stuff into the game that modders originally added, it's ruining the game!", cause that is simply not true.

even if i voiced such a foolish opinion, the developers wouldn't listen, because it is something they WANT to do, and feel is RIGHT for their creation.

1.4.1 is basically the second part to journey's end, it's the remaining stuff that still needed to be added, plus a few more little bonuses that came to them while working on it... there is nothing wrong with that.

i was personally happy with 1.1, but i won't turn down more content... i always take every big step as the final one, so i won't be disappointed if it ended there.

just like, and i know this is a bit off topic, but with every super smash bros game, i assume each entry is the last one, so the next one is always a surprise for me.

that is how i handled these terraria updates... i won't tell the developers to stop, because in the end, it's ENTIRELY up to them, we can't MAKE them do anything.

will i support their choice to stop? yes, cause it is THEIR decision, if they choose to make it.

but i will also support their decision to keep going, if they really feel like that is necessary... though i do find myself wondering if they'll have any ideas left for terraria 2 if that ends up becoming a thing.

what i am saying is... you claiming to be the "voice of reason" is, again, claiming you know better than the developers.

questioning decisions is one thing, but acting so superior and as if you KNOW they're wrong in doing what they did... is egotistical.

honestly, it comes off as borderline megalomaniacal with the way you talk.

P.S. - i'm not young, quite the opposite.

There's no way it would ever be possible for me to demand anything of anyone here, I've been the vocal minority both here & on the Steam forums. There's very few times that anyone here has ever agreed with my point of view on things, very rarely. I'm not sure how anyone here could conclude that I'm demanding anything. If you are equating the fact that it makes you uncomfortable that, yes, your duty as a fellow human being, is to look out for your fellow man, well... that's a different topic. Looking after the people who do right by you & their health is a civic duty, if you find it too much to bare or consider, it's not totally unusual, it happens often. 🤷‍♂️🥤 No one can demand this of you, but they can remind you that it's your moral obligation to uphold, just like washing your hands or covering your mouth when you sneeze. Like I said, you should do it, but I've seen people who just don't...

As I said, you can... & I don't recall ever suggesting to you personally that you should stop asking for things. I just recognize that the developers are showing signs of overworking, frustration & fatigue. That's a sign of burnout & the humane thing to do is tell a person that they should probably stop & if stopping is impossible, lend a helping hand. It's a simple concept, really. This isn't to be snarly either, as I said before, a LOT of things are easy, like washing your hands, but you'd be shocked at the number of people who don't bother to do it, even though peoples lives may be at risk, they simply can't be bothered. 🤷‍♂️🥤

No I don't. I'm saying "wash your hands please." Once you say "no", there's nothing I can do to make you do it.

I'm happy with them too, but I also care about the welfare of the people making these changes. Terraria is extremely hard to balance, I know this from experience. They're not gonna be able to please everyone & are gonna have to come to terms with that. I did my part by mostly solving the issue with Summoner, which I saw coming a mile away. I did my part, but the only reason we are having this discussion is because people are critical of my methods, which is fair. I don't mind making people angry, especially if it saves them from themselves. I'm not the type of person or friend who enables people, if your on some BS, I'm the friend who's gonna tell you, even at the cost of our friendship. 🤷‍♂️🥤

as others have already mentioned, you're ASSUMING the developers are crunching... what makes you think they are?

typically, in crunch culture, it's higher-ups who are pushing their employees to overwork themselves... atleast from the examples i've seen of it.

you do realize re-logic is an indie team, right?

are you claiming that red and cenx are terrible people forcing the rest of the team to overwork themselves?

if it's not that, then you're claiming that they simply have no sense of their own well-being, and are self-destructive?

it honestly sounds like you're projecting onto the developers, or something... you mentioned earlier that you put a lot of work into the game and a choice they made caused everything you did to be made obsolete.

you're also claiming that you're doing so much to "help" others and the like... maybe you're the one crunching, and you want the developers to stop adding to the game so you can stop doing whatever it is you're doing, or feel like there is an end to work towards?

look, i get the whole "not being afraid to state the truth" thing...

...but there is a BIG difference between saying the things no one wants to hear, and being right about what you're saying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom