Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be done so that when using a special book bought from a zoologist, the Empress of Light would not attack and could not receive damage from the owner of this book. Trolls tired! And what if I do not want to attack this beauty, but she is attacked next to me. Also, he would not receive awards if he was still there and found her death.

so... in otherwords, you're saying the devs have no idea what they're doing, and you know better than them.
Here's the thing, many of the newer additions were brilliant, so there's no way I could think that. In fact, the devs took a brilliant idea that qwerty3.14 had, but made it 100x better; making pre-Molten Tier comparable to Bee Gear for Summoner Class. The problem is trying to balance that idea, when you have 47 other brilliant things you need to iron out right beside it. It's called overload. The gais at Relogic are brilliant, but they're also human. Me recognizing that they are humans beings with limitations, isn't a suggestion that I know better, it's called empathy, you should try it some time. 🙄🥤 *sips*

see, we're caught in this endless cycle, again...
There's no cycle here, you're just drawing shortsighted conclusions to fit some narrative you've drawn up about me. As you can see above, I've just made you privy to new information. 🤷‍♂️🥤

also, i inserted myself into the conversation, cause you're talking on a public forum... weird how that happens, right?
I mean, that's obvious. I don't have an issue with you or anyone inserting themselves into a discussion, but doing so & then asking the person entertaining your curiosity "what are you on about?" is just silly. You asked a question, that I didn't have to answer, but I actually over-answered. We've had enough exchanges to where I'm still unsure why you're trying to insult my intelligence, but if it continues, I'll just move on to something more worth my time.

i'm not afraid to say what needs to be said, i'm certainly not very popular for it, but unlike you, i examine a situation properly before saying anything.
I mean, congratulations? I never claimed to be perfect, so kudos to you, figuring out situational awareness? Thank goodness for our differences, right?

seeing as i'm not the only one responding to you in this way, i have some others backing up what i am saying... but you are the only one who seems convinced that the developers are destroying themselves and ruining the game, aside from the trolls on the forum who complain about everything and insult the developers outright.
Are you using the "majority belief system" argument again? Do I have to retort with the slavery, or holocaust defense, or are we good here?

i'm honestly hoping one of them steps in and puts this conversation to bed, because you're clearly in need of some reassurance.
Not really, I've learned to divorce myself from products or I.P.s that don't align with my tastes. Terraria is a great game with great people, but that doesn't mean that this can't change. It'd be unfortunate, because it'd be a rare, special relationship between the fans & creators, that ended up being destroyed by the actual fans & not the developers. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, because Terraria can be a shining example of this relationship done right.

However, if we show that it doesn't matter who has the wheel, the fans or the developers, it'll prove that the abuse will be there no matter who has a say in the matter & we'll miss a very limited & important window. I understand the weight of that opportunity, but I don't think anyone else does & just have to accept that. Terraria is amazing, but so are other games out there. 💁‍♂️🥤

then again, you don't seem to trust the developers, so i have to wonder if anything they say will change your mind on the matter.
I trust the devs immensely, but people make terrible choices when they're stressed, overworked & exhausted. A LOT of the stuff in 1.4.1 were bad calls & from what I've seen, most of those changes were from fan suggestions, which I've warned the entire forums was dangerous from the beginning, when they stopped realizing we had an actual deadline.

you mentioned earlier that people using the wiki is a sign that they failed at making a proper game... you realize how foolish that sounds?
Out of context, yeah, I do. How about this though... do you realize how many pages the Terraria Wiki is & how complex? Terraria has enough content in it to fill three Encyclopedias, but no tutorial. If that doesn't explain to you why that's a failure in design, I don't know what will convince you. 🤷‍♂️🥤

wikis are made for... everything. it's a comprehensive compilation of everything the game has to offer, made by the fans, FOR the fans.
Thanks for that deep history lesson professor...

you saying that makes the game a failure is like saying a game having a guide/walkthrough makes it a failure, because people use said guides to help them in said game.
you can play a game without said guide, but some people simply either don't have the time or patience to figure things out on their own.
This isn't about personal taste, it's about good general game design. The amount of information you can gather in 1.4 in comparison to 1.3.5 in the Bestiary alone, attests to the vacuum that was left, considering the sheer amount of content the game offered. This is just content, we haven't even touched on the rules of how to build valid housing, or how a player should gather information on what they should be doing next. This isn't really even a real discussion, because we even have tooltips on the loading screens. The lacking of teaching a player fundmentals was very apparent, there's nothing to discuss here.

yes, changes they make are based off fan feedback, but i doubt they allow unreasonable requests to alter their vision for the game.
Normally I'd agree, but some of the 1.4.1 changes were pretty questionable, which leads to believe it might've been rushed. Keep in mind, we have a deadline this time around, it's not like how things used to be. 🤷‍♂️🥤

and as i said, people enjoy the same thing in different ways... there might be players who enjoy setting up teleporters still, while some prefer the pylons.
having options is not a bad thing, some people are more creative and patient than others, so teleporters could be seen as a struggle or even a punishment for the less patient/creative types... i know i never used them.
True, but there are several issues with this incident that lead me to believe these are spoiled, unchecked complaints.
  1. Elaborate builds are extremely resource heavy & a TON of fundamental blocks for building are locked behind Hardmode. This means that a player who plans to build is gonna be wealthy, because you kinda have to be, and is gonna have a lot of farms & engines running to speed up progression. In no way, shape or form does NPC happiness interfere with this, even if a person was to try & take prices into account, because the number of resources an elaborate builder has is worth 70+ platinum - over; not including what can be sold using kill-engines.
  2. Most elaborate builders don't have any issue world hopping or transferring items, because certain resources aren't available on every world that get used often; Dungeon Brick & free Sandstone Brick from Pyramids are a few examples. Building beautiful structures & normal game progression will often clash & are normally two separate metagames.
The developers had to know this stuff, but it's a possibility they don't, or have too much on their plate to overthink it. It's a false claim is what I'm saying, no matter how you look at it. The only reason I didn't challenge the BS the first time, is that I thought a more complex NPC happiness system might arise from it, but of course, that didn't happen, because the people who wanted it changed wanted it changed for the worst.

i have creative ideas, but i've never done well with giving them form, so having a simpler fast travel system works well for me.
That's great, but most rudimentary builders won't have an issue with NPC Happiness, because it doesn't conflict with basic housing structures.

20200417080414_1.jpg
20200412004012_1.jpg

See, I know this from hours & hours of building. I speak up because I know better, not because I know better than the devs.

a common thing i've seen from you is that you seem to devalue others' opinions and desires for the game, seeing your own as more important and "correct".
so again, we're back to this ego thing i mentioned earlier... when will this end?
Well, when Leinfors, for example implemented several things I repeatedly warned against, issues arised. I don't have any magic powers or abilities to make things others suggest go wrong, I just know enough about the game to understand when something will cause conflict. These guys are making big-brain plays with this game, but we can't possibly expect every choice to be brilliant, when you have a deadline. At a certain point, some things are just to risky too mess around with when you have 47 other tasks to complete. I shouldn't have to explain this to another intelligent person, but here we are.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, many of the newer additions were brilliant, so there's no way I could think that. In fact, the devs took a brilliant idea that qwerty3.14 had, but made it 100x better; making pre-Molten Tier comparable to Bee Gear for Summoner Class. The problem is trying to balance that idea, when you have 47 other brilliant things you need to iron out right beside it. It's called overload. The gais at Relogic are brilliant, but they're also human. Me recognizing that they are humans beings with limitations, isn't a suggestion that I know better, it's called empathy, you should try it some time. 🙄🥤 *sips*

There's no cycle here, you're just drawing shortsighted conclusions to fit some narrative you've drawn up about me. As you can see above, I've just made you privy to new information. 🤷‍♂️🥤

I mean, that's obvious. I don't have an issue with you or anyone inserting themselves into a discussion, but doing so & then asking the person entertaining your curiosity "what are you on about?" is just silly. You asked a question, that I didn't have to answer, but I actually over-answered. We've had enough exchanges to where I'm still unsure why you're trying to insult my intelligence, but if it continues, I'll just move on to something more worth my time.

I mean, congratulations? I never claimed to be perfect, so kudos to you, figuring out situational awareness? Thank goodness for our differences, right?

Are you using the "majority belief system" argument again? Do I have to retort with the slavery, or holocaust defense, or are we good here?

Not really, I've learned to divorce myself from products or I.P.s that don't align with my tastes. Terraria is a great game with great people, but that doesn't mean that this can't change. It'd be unfortunate, because it'd be a rare, special relationship between the fans & creators, that ended up being destroyed by the actual fans & not the developers. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, because Terraria can be a shining example of this relationship done right.

However, if we show that it doesn't matter who has the wheel, the fans or the developers, it'll prove that the abuse will be there no matter who has a say in the matter & we'll miss a very limited & important window. I understand the weight of that opportunity, but I don't think anyone else does & just have to accept that. Terraria is amazing, but so are other games out there. 💁‍♂️🥤

I trust the devs immensely, but people make terrible choices when they're stressed, overworked & exhausted. A LOT of the stuff in 1.4.1 were bad calls & from what I've seen, most of those changes were from fan suggestions, which I've warned the entire forums was dangerous from the beginning, when they stopped realizing we had an actual deadline.

Out of context, yeah, I do. How about this though... do you realize how many pages the Terraria Wiki is & how complex? Terraria has enough content in it to fill three Encyclopedias, but no tutorial. If that doesn't explain to you why that's a failure in design, I don't know what will convince you. 🤷‍♂️🥤

This isn't about personal taste, it's about good general game design. The amount of information you can gather in 1.4 in comparison to 1.3.5 in the Bestiary alone, attests to the vacuum that was left, considering the sheer amount of content the game offered. This is just content, we haven't even touched on the rules of how to build valid housing, or how a player should gather information on what they should be doing next. This isn't really even a real discussion, because we even have tooltips on the loading screens. The lacking of teaching a player fundmentals was very apparent, there's nothing to discuss here.

Normally I'd agree, but some of the 1.4.1 changes were pretty questionable, which leads to believe it might've been rushed. Keep in mind, we have a deadline this time around, it's not like how things used to be. 🤷‍♂️🥤

True, but there are several issues with this incident that lead me to believe these are spoiled, unchecked complaints.
  1. Elaborate builds are extremely resource heavy & a TON of fundamental blocks for building are locked behind Hardmode. This means that a player who plans to build is gonna be wealthy, because you kinda have to be, and is gonna have a lot of farms & engines running to speed up progression. In no way, shape or form does NPC happiness interfere with this, even if a person was to try & take prices into account, because the number of resources an elaborate builder has is worth 70+ platinum - over; not including what can be sold using kill-engines.
  2. Most elaborate builders don't have any issue world hopping or transferring items, because certain resources aren't available on every world that get used often; Dungeon Brick & free Sandstone Brick from Pyramids are a few examples. Building beautiful structures & normal game progression will often clash & are normally two separate metagames.
The developers had to know this stuff, but it's a possibility they don't, or have too much on their plate to overthink it. It's a false claim is what I'm saying, no matter how you look at it. The only reason I didn't challenge the BS the first time, is that I thought a more complex NPC happiness system might arise from it, but of course, that didn't happen, because the people who wanted it changed wanted it changed for the worst.

That's great, but most rudimentary builders won't have an issue with NPC Happiness, because it doesn't conflict with basic housing structures.

View attachment 295120 View attachment 295121

See, I know this from hours & hours of building. I speak up because I know better, not because I know better than the devs.

Well, when Leinfors, for example implemented several things I repeatedly warned against, issues arised. I don't have any magic powers or abilities to make things others suggest go wrong, I just know enough about the game to understand when something will cause conflict. These guys are making big-brain plays with this game, but we can't possibly expect every choice to be brilliant, when you have a deadline. At a certain point, some things are just to risky too mess around with when you have 47 other tasks to complete. I shouldn't have to explain this to another intelligent person, but here we are.
may I say 3 things:
1. wow to your amazing build
2. this is becoming an endless cycle (don't bring me into this, plz)
3. you could just not respond to each other, or use the ignore button (I think, I've never used it myself)

P. s. I don't what anything else to do with this

i love this game and have been playing it for years i first played it on the PS3,PS4,Mobile and now on PC. i'm kinda sad to see it come to an end Terraria Love forever

View attachment 295120 View attachment 295121

i'm going to keep this short, to avoid another wall of text, simply because it is impossible to get through to you and make you aware of how you sound, as you clearly are not very self-aware.

you've literally done nothing but talk down to others and your condescending attitude is blatantly clear in this most recent response.

another thing i'd like to point out is... your arrogance is overwhelming.

the overuse of the shrugging and drink emotes give off a strong aura of arrogance, and makes it seem like you feel everything you're saying should be obvious to those you're talking down to, when the reality is they're just assumptions.

you are saying that you alone are the only person who sees this supposed exhaustion and extreme stress and self-destructive behavior the devs are demonstrating.

as much as you deny it, this IS an endless cycle, you keep denying the things i point out, while demonstrating more examples of exactly what i am calling you out on.

i could keep going til the end of time, i really could... but i know a lost cause when i see one, and i am done trying to get through to you.

also... i don't appreciate the implications of comparing me, and others, to those who enforced slavery and a certain group who committed mass genocide.

i think you're crossing a line, and it's not doing you any favors.

let it end here, don't respond to me again... for both of our sakes.

Last edited:
This looks awesome! So will this be coming with mobile 1.4, or is that gonna be a bit later? Also, if there’s one thing I could suggest, make it so that you can craft 4 life fruit into one life crystal, so that players can have a chance on dedicated servers where the life crystals have been all taken. This also makes them a more easily renewable resource in case one wants to have more heart lanterns or wants to get the panic necklace but sold all their life crystals.

This looks awesome! So will this be coming with mobile 1.4, or is that gonna be a bit later? Also, if there’s one thing I could suggest, make it so that you can craft 4 life fruit into one life crystal, so that players can have a chance on dedicated servers where the life crystals have been all taken. This also makes them a more easily renewable resource in case one wants to have more heart lanterns or wants to get the panic necklace but sold all their life crystals.
the 1.4.1 update won't be with the mobile 1.4, but it should come later (I heard this somewhere)

Interesting debate there - and will not interfere other than to say at no point in time has Re-Logic engaged in or supported anything remotely close to crunch culture. Not during 1.4.1, 1.4 or at any earlier point... and nor will we in the future.

Are there some periods of time where things are more "busy" than others? Absolutely - but that is the ebb and flow of anything.

Just wanted to make that very clear. :)

Interesting debate there - and will not interfere other than to say at no point in time has Re-Logic engaged in or supported anything remotely close to crunch culture. Not during 1.4.1, 1.4 or at any earlier point... and nor will we in the future.
If you guys over at Relogic aren't crunching to get this game as polished as humanly possibly, I applaud you. However, I had a few concerns. You guys over there are brilliant, no doubt, but I've been keeping track of the changes you've all been making & the bugs you've been squashing (over 850+ recorded issues). Bug fixing isn't easy, it's basically troubleshooting a problem that can be caused by any number of things, or some odd combination of things no one could've foreseen. If I was to give an average of three hours, per bug fix & change made to the game, from 1.4 to 1.4.1, it clocks in to about over 2550 hours (106 days). Terraria 1.4 has only been out for about five months. 🤔🥤

Three hours per bug or change is a well-oiled machine, in a perfect scenario. How do you guys avoid crunch over there, especially taking into account the double-working & the amount of review it must take to make a final choice on balance changes (because balancing this game is incredible difficult)? It's tough to believe, that the number of changes that went through in 1.4.1, some as egregious as Obsidian Armor, Vampire Frog & the NPC Happiness changes, made it through review without either rushing, or something going awry.

Are there some periods of time where things are more "busy" than others? Absolutely - but that is the ebb and flow of anything.
Yeah, as a person who used to work in travel & luxury, I fully understand this. You guys are also a very small development crew, which is comparable to being understaffed; which I also know - what it's like. That's why I was concerned about you gais, as you've been knocking it outta the park lately, but something felt extremely off...

I'm glad to know that you gais over at Relogic are 1000% against crunch culture! 😊🥤 You all are doing an amazing job, so please don't kill yourselves in the process. Terraria is just a videogame, your health is much more important!

the journey ends here, but not the game, the game will live long after this moment, but will not be changed, it is left in our hearts and will stay there for years to come, lets not stop the joy in this beautiful game. and encourage others to play as well. for this game will never die and will always change from creators, mods will change it in ways we never though and will update these games even though its not updating, for this is the game that we all love

Art1cReaper

also, is there a estimated date for console sense it will be awesome sense thats the only thing i can play on at the moment

What are those? I wasn't around in a last couple of months and now genuinely curious.
There were several things I was extremely vocal about before being banned from two major threads, the other warnings/ suggestions were more toward fans, asking for things that were bad & I debated with them specifically.
  1. Summoner Class didn't need any more buffs. Keep in mind that Whips are a different issue entirely, not the same. Summoner had free range to use whatever weapons in the game they wanted, especially moving over to OOA/ DD2 Armor sets, who all specialize in major weapons anyhow.
  2. No Summoner starting Class, this isn't that bad of an addition, but I have a feeling it's gonna create some unforeseen issues in the future if it isn't nerfed properly. As of now, Flinx Minions arguably rival Hornet Staff & the entire set allows for a total of two Minions; optimized, a player is able to Summon up to four Minions, with a Summoner Potion & Bewitching Table (which can be progression skipped in some cases). Keep in mind that Flinx Gear is only Gold Tier Armor & this is all pre-Boss.
  3. Lowering the rarity of Sanguine Staff. I really felt like this one was an obvious mistake, but somehow no one seems to agree, yet I'm already seeing players ask for buffs to Twins Staff, Spiders & Blade Staff, which are already powerful. 🤷‍♂️🥤 Bloodnautilus droping this weapon with 100% certainty is creating the same issue that the devs worked so hard to fix with Duke Fishron. I'm not sure if this is them giving in to audience pressure, or if there's some kind of breakdown going on in testing & reviewing; raising the drop rate of Bloody Tears was enough.
  4. I can't pretend that I was very effective in arguing for Minions to be mostly left alone effectively, because I don't know what stuff like Local_Immunity & Global_Immunity means, so I tried to stay away from those kinds of talks, but I did my best to make it clear that most Minions didn't need to be changed much.
  5. Lastly, I tried my best to remind everyone that this was the last & final update, so if they wanted good changes, they should really put a good amount of thought into their ideas before sharing them with the devs, because any lasting issue created by poor additions was gonna likely be permanent. I still don't think they get it though...

There were several things I was extremely vocal about before being banned from two major threads, the other warnings/ suggestions were more toward fans, asking for things that were bad & I debated with them specifically.
  1. Summoner Class didn't need any more buffs. Keep in mind that Whips are a different issue entirely, not the same. Summoner had free range to use whatever weapons in the game they wanted, especially moving over to OOA/ DD2 Armor sets, who all specialize in major weapons anyhow.
  2. No Summoner starting Class, this isn't that bad of an addition, but I have a feeling it's gonna create some unforeseen issues in the future if it isn't nerfed properly. As of now, Flinx Minions arguably rival Hornet Staff & the entire set allows for a total of two Minions; optimized, a player is able to Summon up to four Minions, with a Summoner Potion & Bewitching Table (which can be progression skipped in some cases). Keep in mind that Flinx Gear is only Gold Tier Armor & this is all pre-Boss.
  3. Lowering the rarity of Sanguine Staff. I really felt like this one was an obvious mistake, but somehow no one seems to agree, yet I'm already seeing players ask for buffs to Twins Staff, Spiders & Blade Staff, which are already powerful. 🤷‍♂️🥤 Bloodnautilus droping this weapon with 100% certainty is creating the same issue that the devs worked so hard to fix with Duke Fishron. I'm not sure if this is them giving in to audience pressure, or if there's some kind of breakdown going on in testing & reviewing; raising the drop rate of Bloody Tears was enough.
  4. I can't pretend that I was very effective in arguing for Minions to be mostly left alone effectively, because I don't know what stuff like Local_Immunity & Global_Immunity means, so I tried to stay away from those kinds of talks, but I did my best to make it clear that most Minions didn't need to be changed much.
  5. Lastly, I tried my best to remind everyone that this was the last & final update, so if they wanted good changes, they should really put a good amount of thought into their ideas before sharing them with the devs, because any lasting issue created by poor additions was gonna likely be permanent. I still don't think they get it though...
actually, the "bloodnautilus" is the "dreadnautilus"

actually, the "bloodnautilus" is the "dreadnautilus"
It was called that in the original Journey's End trailer. Everyone who speculated about it referred to it as that for so long that some of us never broke the habit (even I occasionally slip and call it that sometimes.)

It was called that in the original Journey's End trailer. Everyone who speculated about it referred to it as that for so long that some of us never broke the habit (even I occasionally slip and call it that sometimes.)
oh, ok, I thought that it was bloodnautilus for a while and learned 3 days ago that its not

glad you managed to make it here and clear that up for the guy... though judging by the response, i'm not entirely sure he believes you. %:sigh:

it's times like this when i am glad re-logic doesn't let themselves get influenced too heavily by fans... especially the more vocal ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom