Weapons & Equip the item "g*psy robe" has a racial slur in it.

It’s not a saying, it’s used more as an insult. Either way before someone gets too heated, just remember the “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” quote.

@JohannSimm I got what you were saying in your post before your most recent one, but I still disagree with changing it’s name. With what @ChimeraWarden said in their post, it’s really just a piece of clothing in the game. I believe you can’t pinpoint it being “offensive” because of that fact. Anyways, that’s my opinion.
And thank you for upholding the respectability of this discussion. As far as jabs go it was a more amusing one, but I was concerned that the future tone of the discussion may have been set. I'm glad to see that isn't the case.

I don't expect that everyone will agree with me. However, people tend to have a lot of misconceptions in regards to the Rromani people, so I try to supply information and facts in the hopes that people will be able to make more informed arguments on the subject – whether they're in agreement with me or not.

(In regards to your last point, I'll just say that people can and will get offended all the time over clothing, especially over who wears said clothing, how the clothing is worn, etc. For example, the debate over who gets to wear warbonnets, or concerns over racially-insensitive Halloween costumes. But that's opening a whole can of worms best left untouched for the purposes of this thread.)

Might be worth pointing out that the Romani people were one of the targets of the holocaust, with half of their population being killed by the Nazis.

Roma organization have rejected other names besides Roma, as they find the insulting:

It's interesting how some of you believe that most Romani people will never play Terraria, since they're just people, and Terraria is a popular game.

I found out all of this because I was adapting the Sherlock Holmes story 'The Speckled Band' into a game and it prominently featuers Romani people as villains, and I was contacted and asked to change it. It's not hard, is it?

I don’t recall anyone saying most Romani people will never play the game. I do remember saying “I’d imagine most Romani people don’t play the game.” I definitely over exaggerated the “most” part but I still doubt the gypsy robe will catch the attention of many Romani people. Re-Logic clearly has no desire to change the name, it is what it is now.

I hear what you’re saying, but I’d just like to point out the common misconception that Romani = Romanian, at least outside of the Romanian language. The word “g*psy” doesn’t refer specifically to Romanians, but instead to an ethnic group with a similar-sounding name. In fact, the plural names are identical in the Romanian language: “Romani” is the plural for Romanian people. However, the Romani ethnic group is also distinct from that. In some places a double-r spelling, “Rromani”, is used to reduce confusion.

There are Rromani in Romania, as there are in many countries in Europe (and they’re as oppressed there as they are anywhere in Europe), but the majority of Romanians are no more Rromani than the majority populations of France or Italy.

Although they sound similar – and as I’ve mentioned, appear identical in the Romanian language – the names don’t even have a common linguistic root. The country of Romania is named after the city of Rome, which is a Latin source, whereas “Rromani” comes from the Rromani word “Rom” (meaning “man”).

Genetic research has shown that the Rromani most likely emigrated out of India many centuries ago and crossed over into Europe. Further evidence for this is that many words in the Rromani language have significant similarity to Sanskrit words – for example, another proposed origin of “Rromani” or “Roma” (plural for Rromani people) is the Sanskrit word “doma” – referring to a person from a low caste of travelling entertainers.
Yeah, that was a mistake on my part, I'm sorry.
The only reason I've associated the Gypsy term with Romanians is because a lot of people talk about gypsies coming from Romania to their country n doing shady stuff.
And now that I think about it, Gypsy (Romani People) =/= Gipsy ('țigan' the slang term used in Romania), so my original comment might not even be valid. Might have been a big misunderstanding on my part.

Yeah, that was a mistake on my part, I'm sorry.
The only reason I've associated the Gypsy term with Romanians is because a lot of people talk about gypsies coming from Romania to their country n doing shady stuff.
And now that I think about it, Gypsy (Romani People) =/= Gipsy ('țigan' the slang term used in Romania), so my original comment might not even be valid. Might have been a big misunderstanding on my part.
Thank you for your honest response. And no problem. It's an easy mistake to make.

Roma organization have rejected other names besides Roma, as they find the insulting:
This is an excellent source.

I've never heard of gypsy being used as a racial slur in my entire life.
I've never heard it used
It really depends on whether you're from Europe or not. I believe it tends to be used in a more barbed fashion over there. I am not from Europe, and so I was surprised to discover this as well.

It gets used a lot in the UK as a racial slur. Romani and Traveller folk in general are not particularly well treated here at times.
This has me thinking. I have lived in America for a long time. Didn’t even know it was a racial slur until recently. Of course I was shocked to see that it actually was or at least can be used as one. Is it possible that whether we pick up the word as offensive or not is... subjective from where we come from?

I would like to see this changed. I’ve never seen the item in game, but now that I know it exists, this is certainly a change worth making.

This has me thinking. I have lived in America for a long time. Didn’t even know it was a racial slur until recently. Of course I was shocked to see that it actually was or at least can be used as one. Is it possible that whether we pick up the word as offensive or not is... subjective from where we come from?
Also, sort of. Whether we are aware that a word is offensive or not is largely based on whether we were taught that, and that often depends on where we were raised. I didn’t know this one was problematic until probably 3 years ago, myself. Regardless though, it is still bad and worth removing, even if we were not previously aware of it.

I 100% had that experience. I was totally happy using the word in my own games and was so shocked at how a few British people responded to it. I was like, 'I'm not racist!' but the truth was I just didn't know about any of the background.

I believe cultural context is the biggest point here, let's imagine we get a romanian translation for Terraria, I can totally see why you would want the term removed in that version, like you wouldn't want any terms that are really insensitive to their corresponding cultures on the german, italian or french versions.

But here's the thing, the weight certain words have, really changes depending on the culture, there're terms that are really not okay in some languages that don't have any particular relevancy in others. And you can't really blame them, they don't have all cultural context you do on somethings, and you don't have their's on other things.

Now, do I care if the name is changed on the english or any other version? Not really, the item isn't relevant enough for me to care if the name is changed, nor if it isn't, because if the intention wasn't to be offensive and if in the context it was added, it didn't really matter, then why bother with it.

Last edited:
I believe cultural context is the biggest point here, let's imagine we get a romanian translation for Terraria, I can totally see why you would want the term removed in that version, like you wouldn't want any terms that are really insensitive to their corresponding cultures on the german, italian or french versions.
Thank you for your observations, but I'd just like to once again clarify that this isn't about Romanians, but about the Rromani people, a different ethnic group with a similar-sounding name.
But here's the thing, the weight certain words have, really changes depending on the culture, there're terms that are really not okay in some languages that don't have any particular relevancy in others. And you can't really blame them, they don't have all cultural context you do on somethings, and you don't have their's on other things.
This is also true, but in this case a most terms used to refer to Rroma in other languages they regard as insulting. So there's not really a translation that is likely to be less insulting than any of the others. Chances are if there's a term for Rromani (other than the "accepted" terms), it's been used as a slur in the past. This includes terms like tz*gane, g*tano, etc.

As several people have mentioned, the term already causes a bit of a stir in England. I should also mention that there are a lot more Rroma in North America than most may think. Many were shipped over to the Americas as slaves during the slave trade (that's right; they weren't just murdered in scores during the Holocaust, but were also enslaved for centuries), but others are more recent immigrants from Europe. So there's quite a few Rroma people in the US and Canada. But many of them pass as other ethnicities, because they're afraid of being persecuted. I'd imagine the high prevalence of stereotypes doesn't do much to assuage their concerns.

Back
Top Bottom