World load detector

I've been looking for one of these for ages!

When building this, can I ask what the starting state for that 4x4 square of checkered actuated blocks is? The example image has it in both states, so I can't tell where I'm supposed to start off. I get that it's supposed to make sure only one of the darts hits, but without knowing why two plus alternation was necessary in the first place, I can't figure it out for myself. Also, is there an advantage to using the activated stone blocks, or can I just slap actuators on anything without harming order of operations?

Also, I can't tell what kind of pressure plate is two blocks to the left of the dart traps. I think it's teal, but I'm not certain.
It's teal, as teal is the only one that can attach to walls.

It's teal, as teal is the only one that can attach to walls.
I'm asking about the one on the ground. That said, I'm assuming it's teal because teal is the only one that would react to anything happening in this setup.

Another question, though... a bit silly, but how am I supposed to activate this detector? The water level rests below the point where it could fall onto the sensor. I've never used infinite water generators before, and the setup doesn't seem to automate them.

Well, now that this post has resurfaced, I'm just gonna leave this here:

s1LHvaI.png
jlucZ0O.png

It's a more refined version of the once-per-world-load fail-safe mechanism. I've been using this design for a while now for a bunch of different builds. Though it might come in handy for other people as well. :)

Well, now that this post has resurfaced, I'm just gonna leave this here:

s1LHvaI.png
jlucZ0O.png

It's a more refined version of the once-per-world-load fail-safe mechanism. I've been using this design for a while now for a bunch of different builds. Though it might come in handy for other people as well. :)
Cool. Does this device have a delay after world load? If it does, how about this one:
221.png

Cool. Does this device have a delay after world load?
View attachment 224817
To be clear, this is just the fail-safe part of the detector, you'd still need the water pump part for the actual detection.
The liquid sensor in a detector like this should trigger pretty much immediately. My fail-safe design adds a 1 second delay (plus a few frames from the dart trap).

If it does, how about this one:
index.php
The problem with dummy ghost world load detectors, is that the player has be I believe within 500 tiles for the ghost to spawn. So if the player's spawn is too far from the detector, it won't trigger until the player gets closer. Also, dummy ghosts can despawn when the player dies. Though you can fix that with a fail-safe. But, if you have some critical mechanism, like in an adventure map, that must always start on world load, I wouldn't use dummies.

Boy, I sure do love to fix things that weren't broken! I'm so glad that the wise and talented developers at Re-Logic are so diligently removing game mechanics that didn't hurt anyone and enabled the creation of cool and useful devices like my World Load Detector!

/sigh

But you know what? I'm not angry, because I've come out stronger in the end. Check this out; the new and (against all odds) improved World Load Detector for Terraria 1.4.X:

QfF2hP2.png

The most obvious upgrade is that it uses an entirely new settle detector which requires not an endless flow of water, but one single solitary block's worth of water for each load cycle. This water is supplied by a new integer-rounding-powered water duplicator based on jRNGn's design here. It no longer needs to evaporate water as part of its operation, so you can stick it wherever you please. It's nearly the same size as the previous design (one block wider and one block shorter), so old worlds using 1.3.X WLDs won't need extensive remodeling. And the best part is that it only barely registers as "bug-abusing" on a technicality, meaning that unless Re-Logic expressly goes out of their way to screw with me, this design is going to be immune to any surprises that the last few hotfix updates might spring on us.

Plus, y'know... quarter second timers are kinda nice.

Very cool. I'm not sure how much of it I understand just taking a quick look at the design. But I'm glad to hear someone figured out a new method for this.

Boy, I sure do love to fix things that weren't broken! I'm so glad that the wise and talented developers at Re-Logic are so diligently removing game mechanics that didn't hurt anyone and enabled the creation of cool and useful devices like my World Load Detector!
Yea, I know, right. :D

But you know what? I'm not angry, because I've come out stronger in the end. Check this out; the new and (against all odds) improved World Load Detector for Terraria 1.4.X:

QfF2hP2.png

The most obvious upgrade is that it uses an entirely new settle detector which requires not an endless flow of water, but one single solitary block's worth of water for each load cycle. This water is supplied by a new integer-rounding-powered water duplicator based on jRNGn's design here. It no longer needs to evaporate water as part of its operation, so you can stick it wherever you please. It's nearly the same size as the previous design (one block wider and one block shorter), so old worlds using 1.3.X WLDs won't need extensive remodeling. And the best part is that it only barely registers as "bug-abusing" on a technicality, meaning that unless Re-Logic expressly goes out of their way to screw with me, this design is going to be immune to any surprises that the last few hotfix updates might spring on us.

Plus, y'know... quarter second timers are kinda nice.
That's really nice. It's a pretty clever use of those grate things. (Btw, I love how there's zero visual feedback about their state in-game. Very user friendly...)
I feel like this design would be more reliable than the old ones, where you're using something to hold back the flow of liquid from a sensor. I'd imagine this would be less susceptible to breaking from very quick world exits.

Very cool. I'm not sure how much of it I understand just taking a quick look at the design. But I'm glad to hear someone figured out a new method for this.
The most unclear part of this is the settle detector. When a settle happens, water that is trapped in solid blocks first tries to escape downwards, and it only gets deleted if it can't do that. You can observe this easily by placing a single bubble block in midair, dumping a bucket of water inside it, then reloading the save; the water will fall out of the bubble onto the ground. The new settle detector basically automates the process of trapping water in a grate with a sensor right underneath.

The once-per-session mechanism works the same as it always has, it's just faster and smaller thanks to the quarter-second timers. It could be even smaller if I bothered to use honey to slow the darts, but I didn't because that takes effort.

(Btw, I love how there's zero visual feedback about their state in-game. Very user friendly...)
There actually is, but only if you place them in configurations other than one tile wide or tall. Which is... not very helpful for builds that need to precisely control liquid flow.
Hmm, if only there were a texture pack maker handy... ;)

I'd imagine this would be less susceptible to breaking from very quick world exits.
It is, but that's because of the quarter second timer, not the grates.

The most unclear part of this is the settle detector. When a settle happens, water that is trapped in solid blocks first tries to escape downwards, and it only gets deleted if it can't do that. You can observe this easily by placing a single bubble block in midair, dumping a bucket of water inside it, then reloading the save; the water will fall out of the bubble onto the ground. The new settle detector basically automates the process of trapping water in a grate with a sensor right underneath.

Clever. That's probably a little better than what we were doing before. I might have try my hand at making my own version using that trick. I'll post it here if I come up with anything worth sharing.

Back
Top Bottom