Terraria State of the Game - October 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? So master mode, Zenith, whips, and Soaring Insignia are worthless?

i don't want to jump into creating a world and making progress with 1.4 just to end up having to immediately dump it all and start all over when 1.4.1 drops so i can have a better worldgen.

and for me, yes, jumping into a non-final version of a game, unless there is a SIGNIFICANT [i.e. - years] wait between versions, is pointless.

also, master mode by itself doesn't sound that interesting to me... i usually play more casually.

although, i have to admit... after watching someone else attempt it... i kinda want to play a master mode "for the worthy" world.

my inner masochist demands it.

Last edited:
This is how it is on PC - Mobile (and Console) will ultimately follow that standard in regards to content and features.
just want to say, you can get items with more than one stack one by one on pc by clicking right click i believe(it has been a while since i have done it so i don't know if that changed)

just want to say, you can get items with more than one stack one by one on pc by clicking right click i believe(it has been a while since i have done it so i don't know if that changed)

Right clicks do not exist on a touch environment - which is an encompassing challenge with porting over Terraria controls (secondary fire, place vs use, etc.).

Not saying it wouldn't be looked at, but its a tricky spot. Likely would have to be a tap vs tap and hold situation - but I can see people getting equally frustrated with that.

master mode IS worthless tho
journey mode best mode
tbh, I don't play master mode, but its not worthless, it gives a decent challenge, especially when paired with hard core or for the worthy, or even both, really, don't insult MM you don't have to play it if expert is good enough for you, or journey

Right clicks do not exist on a touch environment - which is an encompassing challenge with porting over Terraria controls (secondary fire, place vs use, etc.).

Not saying it wouldn't be looked at, but its a tricky spot. Likely would have to be a tap vs tap and hold situation - but I can see people getting equally frustrated with that.
I would just like to say that I respect the amazing work that DR Studios, Re-logic, Pipe works, 505, and everyone else who works on terraria, awsome game, great job!

tbh, I don't play master mode, but its not worthless, it gives a decent challenge, especially when paired with hard core or for the worthy, or even both, really, don't insult MM you don't have to play it if expert is good enough for you, or journey
you see, MM is lazily made, a GOOD mode DOES NOT equal a HARD mode. The core of MM could be made in 5 lines of code. The UI used to activate it would be harder to make than Master itself. It's hard, yes, but hard in an artificial way. For example, Plantera is still stupid easy because Circling™, but ML's unfair and unpredictable attacks (TEoC lasers) become funy rod of discord or u are instakil attacks. A good mode would not simply bloat stats, it would change the AI, like maybe Plant would no longer be Circling Simulator™ as it would periodically dash at you and send out Spore Sac spores.

you see, MM is lazily made, a GOOD mode DOES NOT equal a HARD mode. The core of MM could be made in 5 lines of code. The UI used to activate it would be harder to make than Master itself. It's hard, yes, but hard in an artificial way. For example, Plantera is still stupid easy because Circling™, but ML's unfair and unpredictable attacks (TEoC lasers) become funy rod of discord or u are instakil attacks. A good mode would not simply bloat stats, it would change the AI, like maybe Plant would no longer be Circling Simulator™ as it would periodically dash at you and send out Spore Sac spores.
ok, so you just insulted MM, again, and didn't get a point across that convinces me further, so Ima do something else

Look at the time it took them to develop 1.4 for mobile, now I’m not saying console 1.4 will be faster and easier for them to develop, but the consoles have better performance and hardware that allows for easier game develop than mobile.

As a person who personally enjoys Master Mode, I can say that in some cases, it's not necessary to make a large number of changes in a game to make difficulty enjoyable. 🤔🥤 Though the claim of bloated stats, with little else gets thrown around often, I can say with confidence, that the fight with Queen Bee, Wall of Flesh & The Mech Bosses are all noticeably different IMO.
  • Queen Bee, her dashing/ ramming attacks feel faster & seem to require the player to react quicker or to anticipate her next attack, as in some circumstances her attacks are unreactable.
  • Wall of Flesh, this Boss will pretty much steamroll you at an obnoxious rate of speed. I actually had to build a bridge to win, as it felt impossible to beat him without one.
  • Mech Bosses, these fights were always a decent challenge, but now, any mistake you make will likely get you killed. If you somehow get attacked off-guard, winning feels impossible.
  • Betsy & the OOA, this entire event will have you on the edge of your seat, no mistakes allowed...
  • The Pillar Events are insane!!
This is just the differences I noticed when fighting Bosses, but there's a whole lot of game to consider between Boss fights, which also has a huge effect on how Master Mode feels to play; things like Invasions or Events are a great example. It's also important to note that the free, extra Accessory Slot afforded to you from the very beginning, is very fun & allows more flexibility with certain builds; it's actually hard to go back to Expert Mode because of it...

...either way, I can totally understand most players disappointment, but I do feel at times the failings of Master Mode are greatly exaggerated. The unique items alone would've sold the Mode & it's not like new content wasn't added to make the experience slightly different than what players are accustomed to.
  • Some of the newer Mounts are super fun, for example the Mourning Wood Mount & Witch's Broom are hilarious!
  • The new Trophy/ Relic Items are gorgeous & a nice, new furniture item to add to your collection (try making a Trophy Room now, it looks great)!
  • Depending on your progression, using buffs & Potions feels necessary now, before they were kinda just there IMHO, if you wanted training wheels.
There's defiantly incentive to play Master Mode, as it's somewhat Expert Mode +Ultra. If you already like Expert Mode, there's really no reason to dislike Master Mode, other than principle. It's objectively more difficult & contains exclusive content. Nothing about it felt artificial IMHO. 🤷‍♂️🥤

we get it, you hate master mode.

some people like it, especially paired with "for the worthy".

i mean, if people didn't like "artificial difficulty" i doubt anyone would buy the dark souls games and other souls-likes.

personally, i see "for the worthy" as a perfect partner to bring out MM's true potential, or vice versa... sometimes, people just want a ridiculous challenge to overcome, even if that challenge is pure, uncontrolled chaos coming down on you with the force of an entire planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom