Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Alright, so after the latest update (1.4.1.2) I noticed three things:
  • The wavebank's size went from 50,000KB to 200,000KB, somehow.
  • Custom wavebanks don't work anymore. Running the game with a custom wavebank will result in silence and the game being stuck in the loading screen.
  • Sounds are totally messed up in tModLoader.
Since tModLoader and vanilla Terraria share the same wavebank, I'm almost positive that the new wavebank is the problem here.

EDIT: New info I got from some modders:
  • They improved the audio quality a lot, which explains why the wavebank's size increased fourfold.
  • For this change they had to change the entire audio engine.
  • This change is intentional and won't be fixed. It's up to the community to find ways to adapt.
This post is now useless.

Last edited:
What you are talking about happened to me, I put my Wavebank before opening the game and, after opening it, the game started without sound. after the Re-Logic screen the game was softlocked on the loading screen (with the sunflower).

Same here, my custom wave bank that worked fine on 1.4.1.1 now causes the game to endlessly "load" into the title screen with no music.

What you are talking about happened to me, I put my Wavebank before opening the game and, after opening it, the game started without sound. after the Re-Logic screen the game was softlocked on the loading screen (with the sunflower).

Exact same problem here - Wavebank not working. I believe its because they tried to patch a certain volume-related bug and ended up breaking the wavebanks

Alright, I've found a way to fix sounds in tModLoader! For this method you'll have to download the Quick Wave Bank tool.
1605100680270.png

1. Open the Quick Wave Bank tool and select "Extract". It'll then let you select the wavebank you want to extract (which is the vanilla one) and the output where all the music files will be stored.
  2. Click "Select Output File" and select where you want the new wavebank to be created (do NOT select Terraria's Steam folder).
  3. Click "Add Tracks from Folder" and select the folder where you previously stored the music files.
  4. Click "Build" and wait.
  5. Once it's finished, create a backup of the original wavebank and replace it with the one you've just created (Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > Terraria > Content).
If you want to play vanilla Terraria again, you must use the original wavebank.

Sorry, no fixes available for custom wavebanks.

Alright, I've found a way to fix sounds in tModLoader! For this method you'll have to download the Quick Wave Bank tool.View attachment 297829
  1. Open the Quick Wave Bank tool and select "Extract". It'll then let you select the wavebank you want to extract (which is the vanilla one) and the output where all the music files will be stored.
  2. Click "Select Output File" and select where you want the new wavebank to be created (do NOT select Terraria's Steam folder).
  3. Click "Add Tracks from Folder" and select the folder where you previously stored the music files.
  4. Click "Build" and wait.
  5. Once it's finished, create a backup of the original wavebank and replace it with the one you've just created (Program Files > Steam > steamapps > common > Terraria > Content).
If you want to play vanilla Terraria again, you must use the original wavebank.

Sorry, no fixes available for custom wavebanks.
i dont have custom wavebanks, im just using original sounds, if you have the same too could you post the file of the wavebank for grab to fix it?

I think I may have found more to the problem. If you open up the file called "TerrariaMusic.xgs" in Terraria's Content folder (using a 3rd party program), there is a new value called "Volume" at the end. I found this out when I decided to open both the Vanilla .xgs file and the custom .xgs file, made automatically when I used XACT to my make custom Wave Bank, to see if that was the cause, and it probably is. This new value called Volume needs to be added to your custom wave bank project and match with the current .xgs file so that the custom wave bank becomes compatible again. How to set up this variable? I'm not sure yet.

i dont have custom wavebanks, im just using original sounds, if you have the same too could you post the file of the wavebank for grab to fix it?
I don't think I'm legally allowed to. That's why I posted instructions on how to do it. tModLoader is working on it anyway, so there should be a fix soon.

for those wondering like me, there has been a fix found for custom wavebanks for 1.4.1.2. here's the link:

I think I may have found more to the problem. If you open up the file called "TerrariaMusic.xgs" in Terraria's Content folder (using a 3rd party program), there is a new value called "Volume" at the end. I found this out when I decided to open both the Vanilla .xgs file and the custom .xgs file, made automatically when I used XACT to my make custom Wave Bank, to see if that was the cause, and it probably is. This new value called Volume needs to be added to your custom wave bank project and match with the current .xgs file so that the custom wave bank becomes compatible again. How to set up this variable? I'm not sure yet.
How did you open the vanilla .xgs file?

Back
Top Bottom