Rounding Out the Journey: Terraria 1.4.1 is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really understand why playing a wacky sandbox game differently than what was intended by the developers is an issue.

Why not just give you the Zenith at the start of the game? You don't have to use it, but why would the developers care if you play the game differently from their intent to start with a short sword?

Terraria is not a pure sandbox game and it never has been. It has had progression elements in it since 1.0, and ironing out aspects of that progression through balancing has been a part of the game since day 1. This is just another balance fix, nothing more.

"You don't have to use it" is a terrible reasoning for any balance decision. You can justify literally anything with that logic.

There's a difference between having multiple alternate strategies and having one strategy that completely eclipses another. The game already has plenty of freedom and branching paths.

The only reason you thought cheesing the game was fun was the novelty, along with the feeling of one-upping the developers. If you just look at these strategies in terms of actual gameplay, most people will find them to be not very fun.

In the new 1.4.1.2 Update, my old 1.4.1.1 wavebank (which worked perfectly before), has suddenly stopped working? --- Anyone know why?

i still find it really weird that obsidian is the only whip mainly summoner armor, come on why not make more armors buff whips aswell rather than minions?

Time constraints, mostly, given that the Obsidian Armor change was a very last-second addition as it was, and wasn't even a new armor.

There's always "one more thing" we could add, the arguments for it go on and on, but eventually a line ends up having to be drawn. In this case, I was happy we got the Flinx Fur set in and the Obsidian Armor change to flesh out that lack of pre-HM coverage. Summoner is actually pretty well covered game-wide now . . . one can "always add more", but its better to prioritize the parts that are the most glaringly lacking, IMO.

Hopefully the Desert Tiger will stop spinning and bouncing its way out of a fight - it kept attacking all the Jungle enemies outside the Temple except Golem when I tried it out in 1.4.0.5. That felt like a waste of farming and it barely did any damage...

RIP Obsidian, but I'm glad ya'll didn't nerf the range boost. Also FINALLY POISON FLASKS ON WOF THANK YOU.

opens up Master Mode yoyo-only run

Time constraints, mostly, given that the Obsidian Armor change was a very last-second addition as it was, and wasn't even a new armor.

There's always "one more thing" we could add, the arguments for it go on and on, but eventually a line ends up having to be drawn. In this case, I was happy we got the Flinx Fur set in and the Obsidian Armor change to flesh out that lack of pre-HM coverage. Summoner is actually pretty well covered game-wide now . . . one can "always add more", but its better to prioritize the parts that are the most glaringly lacking, IMO.

Yeah, I've pondered over Summoner progressions multiple times over the few weeks, and I've come to the conclusion that since development time is stopping, we should all be grateful that the dev team has fixed up Summoner progression in such an excellent matter, and we've finally come to the point that we're asking for new stuff or buffs for convinience's sake, and not because something is terribly wrong with Summoner itself, as was the case in the past. Flinx items, Obsidian Armor and Flasks (along with the availabilty boosts) were very valid additions that finally rounded off all the Summoner buffs in 1.4 and is now just another class to main rather than a challenge run to suffer through.
Thanks Devs!

I believe it was because there was this whole debate on the forums that its name was offensive. Don’t know why it wasn’t put in the changelog however.

LOL are you kidding? I hope you are kidding.
This is even more hilarious than what Ubisoft pulled off recently.

Actually i rephrase that this is beyond sad and not hilarious..

"You don't have to use it" is a terrible reasoning for any balance decision. You can justify literally anything with that logic.

There's a difference between having multiple alternate strategies and having one strategy that completely eclipses another. The game already has plenty of freedom and branching paths.

The only reason you thought cheesing the game was fun was the novelty, along with the feeling of one-upping the developers. If you just look at these strategies in terms of actual gameplay, most people will find them to be not very fun.
do you understand what self restraint is?
just because an inherently better item is available doesn't mean you have to use it. the game is not forcing you to use it.
stuff like the reaver shark provided a short cut if you felt like skipping some progression or wanted to reach hardmode faster. but noooooo skipping tiers of progression is a bad thing!!!! you must play the game narrowly and not deviate from the path. I bet you're not playing a game differently than what was intended because you think it's fun, you're just trying to one-up the developers!!!!!! what do you mean self control? players don't have any of that they'll just skip everything because they can!!!!

Last edited:
LOL are you kidding? I hope you are kidding.
This is even more hilarious than what Ubisoft pulled off recently.

Actually i rephrase that this is beyond sad and not hilarious..

No, I’m not kidding. There was a whole throwdown somewhere on the forums recently about gypsy robe’s name being somehow offensive.

It was probably changed because it was easy to do so and would avoid conflict, but it probably wasn’t neccesary.

do you understand what self restraint is?
just because an inherently better item is available doesn't mean you have to use it. the game is not forcing you to use it.
stuff like the reaver shark provided a short cut if you felt like skipping some progression or wanted to reach hardmode faster. but noooooo skipping tiers of progression is a bad thing!!!! you must play the game narrowly and not deviate from the path. I bet you're not playing a game differently than what was intended because you think it's fun, you're just trying to one-up the developers!!!!!! what do you mean self control? players don't have any of that they'll just skip everything because they can!!!!

Better question is, do you know what game design is?

Self restraint isn’t a good philosophy to base balance on. Sure, someone can choose not to use Reaver Shark, but that doesn’t make Reaver Shark logically the best choice. Most players will go for what’s easiest, and if that involves skipping the world evil phase entirely, that’s probably what many people who can do so will do.

The game was created with the intention that players will go through the world evil phase before Meteorite and Hellstone. Progression skips are progression skips, being able to jump past a major boss with no consequences is essentially a cheese. Players who “choose” these progression skips end up dodging a major portion of the game Same reason we were stopped from boxing ourselves in with a nurse during the Moon Lord.

Besides, if people have to “choose not to” use an option that is so far above everything else, don’t you think that option is maybe a little bit too strong?

Why are magic and summoner getting nerfed, and melee getting buffed? Magic and summoner are weak compared to other classes, especially to melee ever since Zenith was added. Nerf Zenith, not magic and summoner.
funny post
i laughed

seriously tho what makes you think this apart from Zenith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom