Terraria State of the Game - October 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still hope that despite not getting anymore major content we'll still get more balance changes and added items down the line. Despite the balancing Summoner is now in a much better spot but it still feels less like a class alongside the likes of Melee, Ranged and Magic and more like a "subclass" that awkwardly tries to prove itself and coming short each time. Like no offense but I find it hard to think of it as an actual class when it still borrows the Reforge bonuses of Magic and Melee...

Adding more Summoner weapons, accessories and Post-Plantera armor would help it tremendously and I'd be kinda disappointed if we leave it here because I feel like we're getting really close to making viable alongside Ranged and Magic. Melee also needs some touching up as well especially when taking account Master Mode.

I still hope that despite not getting anymore major content we'll still get more balance changes and added items down the line. Despite the balancing Summoner is now in a much better spot but it still feels less like a class alongside the likes of Melee, Ranged and Magic and more like a "subclass" that awkwardly tries to prove itself and coming short each time. Like no offense but I find it hard to think of it as an actual class when it still borrows the Reforge bonuses of Magic and Melee...

Adding more Summoner weapons, accessories and Post-Plantera armor would help it tremendously and I'd be kinda disappointed if we leave it here because I feel like we're getting really close to making viable alongside Ranged and Magic. Melee also needs some touching up as well especially when taking account Master Mode.
I mean, Summoner was never intended to be played by itself. It was always intended to play impure.

I mean, Summoner was never intended to be played by itself. It was always intended to play impure.
Which is the problem of why lots of people criticize Summoners. For the longest time Summons never had a proper identity on its own, what point is a class that needs the help of other classes to be usable? Unique playstyles and viability go hand in hand in making a class fun, it's also the reason why people keep giving Melee so much flak as the farther you go the more it just becomes another "ranged" class.

However 1.4 shows that Relogic wants Summoners to be self-sufficient. It's the reason why Whips exists now, so that the player can have an actual way of dealing with enemies on their own as well as giving Summons another layer of depth to work its identity around (Summon Tag Damage).

It's interesting that you still feel this way, but since the overall game is in such a good place now, I won't debate you. I do wanna point a few things out however, since I was among the very few who didn't want Summoner Class changed from 1.4.0.
  1. Summoner's "official" Class start was moved down from Queen Bee to Gold Tier Armor (this changes the game in a few ways, but that's probably not important here).
  2. Slime Staff, Finch Staff & Vampire Frog were all uniquely adjusted to be much easier to obtain.
  3. OOA Tier 1 can now be completed with Summoner Class before Queen Bee is defeating, meaning Sentries are available to use much sooner.
  4. Whips have been buffed significantly, all around, can be obtained sooner & have been given better, unique quirks.
  5. Pygmy Necklace has been moved down from post-Plantera to post-Queen Bee.
  6. Nearly ever Minion from 1.4.0 to 1.4.1 has been buffed or improved in some way.

That's quite the take you have there... & again, I won't debate you, but I'd like to put your opinion in perspective, compared to my own, considering I strongly disagree.

Summoner's pre-Hardmode progression path 1.4.1.2
  1. Finch Staff or Slime Staff Weapon/ Minion (unofficial) + Leather Whip
  2. Flinx Gear + Flinx Minion (Gold Armor tier) + Snapthorn
  3. Vampire Frog Minion (optional)*
  4. DD2 Sentries x4 (optional)*
  5. Bee Gear (extensive/ cross Class, pre-Hardmode endgame gear) + Hornets Minion + Pygmy Necklace
  6. Obsidian Armor (optional or progression skip)*
  7. Spinal Tap (post-Skeletron or progression skip) + Bewitching Table
  8. Firecracker (post-WoF)
With that said, I consider Flinx gear to be Spider Gear 0.5, & Vampire Frog to be pre-Hardmode Sanguine Staff. Also, though the Bone Glove is a Class Neutral item, I can't help but think of how well it works beside Spinal Tap.

Which is the problem of why lots of people criticize Summoners. For the longest time Summons never had a proper identity on its own, what point is a class that needs the help of other classes to be usable? Unique playstyles and viability go hand in hand in making a class fun, it's also the reason why people keep giving Melee so much flak as the farther you go the more it just becomes another "ranged" class.
I can't speak for Melee, but continuing with Summoner Class, there's a few more things I'd like to add.
  1. Spider Gear is readily available from the Start of Hardmode (obviously), but can be skipped entirely by skilled players with Obsidian Armor, forming branching paths (Spider Minions can be skipped for Pirates instead as well).
  2. From this point, Summoner has three options to buff Minions, The Twins, Queen Slime or Bloodnautilis, all three of these Minions are somewhat around the same tier now.
  3. After defeating a single Mech Boss, DD2 Tier 2 items are available, which means Hollowed Armor & Durendal can be skipped.
1.4.1.2 made a lot of these skips easier, because Whips can be buffed outside of thier quirks & a good number of Minions have had their rarity nerfed or entirely removed. All things considered, I'd argue that Summoner currently has more options & branching paths than any other Class in the game.

However 1.4 shows that Relogic wants Summoners to be self-sufficient. It's the reason why Whips exists now, so that the player can have an actual way of dealing with enemies on their own as well as giving Summons another layer of depth to work its identity around (Summon Tag Damage).
Actually, Tag Damage is the least of what Summoner Class can do in 1.4.1.2. I always felt that Cool Whip was a great weapon, but you should take it for a test run right now, it's quite the DPS beast (especially when buffed with Flasks)!

will you add crossplay to PC, Mobile and all consoles?
EDIT: and a way to transfer saves?
Another EDIT: and mods to non-PC players?
...: and servers too?

It's interesting that you still feel this way, but since the overall game is in such a good place now, I won't debate you. I do wanna point a few things out however, since I was among the very few who didn't want Summoner Class changed from 1.4.0.
Fair enough, I mostly still feel this way as I personally feel like Summoner is really close in truly being its own thing. As you said 1.4.1 has made the class over all so much better to simply pick up and start and progression for the most part feels solid enough. The big issue with it at the moment is how pigeonholed the player is in terms of variety compared to everything else. Having a Feral Claw upgrade for Whips that synergize with whips for example and not just melee as well as reforge modifiers that isn't just borrowed from Melee and Magic, some of which they can't even properly use because Whips can't crit normally...

Summoner may be fine but it still needs a bit more of identity to truly call itself its own thing.

Fair enough, I mostly still feel this way as I personally feel like Summoner is really close in truly being its own thing. As you said 1.4.1 has made the class over all so much better to simply pick up and start and progression for the most part feels solid enough. The big issue with it at the moment is how pigeonholed the player is in terms of variety compared to everything else. Having a Feral Claw upgrade for Whips that synergize with whips for example and not just melee as well as reforge modifiers that isn't just borrowed from Melee and Magic, some of which they can't even properly use because Whips can't crit normally...
Honestly, I think Summoner feels too much like it's own thing, like, at the cost of other parts of the game. To me, all of these additions just feel like a very, very well-executed Mod. It could've been worse, like what we had to endure with 1.4.1, but I feel like it was done well enough to where the fun features it adds, overshadow the glaring patchwork that was obviously done. If I could explain the off-colored paint job that is Summoner 1.4.1, it'd be the crafting method used to make the new Obsidian Armor, it just feels "off", but at the same time, is that enough to make the 50% extra reach to Whips feel less enjoyable... nope! But yeah, I think I kinda see what you mean, even if it's for a different reason. 😅🥤

Summoner may be fine but it still needs a bit more of identity to truly call itself its own thing.
I sorta agree, but the other way around. I feel like Summoner lost a lot of it's identity in 1.4.1. Playing Summoner is fun because almost everything is so off-beat, when before it was just seductively niche. So I guess it just gave up one part of it's identity for another that's more fun & also much more accessible. But yeah, with several progression skips, I kinda feel like Summoner is doing exceptionally well. You can play the Summoner path of 1.3.5 (original method), 1.4.0, 1.4.1 (progression skips) & 1.4.1.2. It definitely rides a fine line of feeling shoehorned in, but it's done so well IMHO, that complaining from me would be very disingenuous.

1. Summoner's "official" Class start was moved down from Queen Bee to Gold Tier Armor (this changes the game in a few ways, but that's probably not important here).
I know this is generally unimportant, but obsidian armor is Shadow/Crimson tier, which is definitely above Gold. You need boss drops to both make it and to get the crafting station for it.

Is there any word yet on when the Switch version dye glitch will be fixed? I checked the game recently to see if the update passed by without me noticing, but to my dismay, things were the same...

I know it is at least known and being worked on. I was just wondering if there's any news on your end.

I want a new boss but they will have to come out with 1.5

As it is now, there will be no 1.5 update for Terraria.

1.4 (with 1.4.1 released to address the lose ends of 1.4) is designed to be the final major update for Terraria. There are still bug fix updates coming through, but eventually development will wrap up.

The developers have changed their mind in the past regarding making new updates for the game, but the situation now is different since they regard Terraria as a much more complete game compared to before. They have said before here and in other places that Journey's End (1.4) will be the final major content update for Terraria: There & Back Again: A Summary of Journey's End

I say this for a reminder since I don't you or anyone else to be disappointed from thinking there will be a 1.5 when the Developers have stated their intentions of having 1.4 being the final big update. Unless a developer says differently, it should be expected for there to not be a 1.5.

Is there any word yet on when the Switch version dye glitch will be fixed? I checked the game recently to see if the update passed by without me noticing, but to my dismay, things were the same...

I know it is at least known and being worked on. I was just wondering if there's any news on your end.
I think this will be fixed with 1.4 if it has been reported, and if no other bug fixes are coming out before 1.4

I don't ever do summoner because I really don't want to start a playthrough where I don't have a weapon:indifferent:

(really easy way to get a graveyard 5 minutes in to a playthrough ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom