Music Terraria-styled music attempts

Firch

Official Terrarian
I made themes for Crimson's and Corruption's night, and exclusive theme for meteorite biome (I don't very liked the current one because it also plays at blood moon event and just not fitting for meteorite.) Enjoy! Later I will make themes for nighttime desert, nighttime snow, granite and marble biomes.
(This one was supposed to be more fast-paced than original, because I think that Crimson is more "hungry" at night.)

Very awesome! I can definitely see the attempt of trying to make your music Terraria-styled. I liked the meteor biome the most! One question to ask however, would you mind if I gave some constructive criticism? Just asking.

Yup, you sure can give a critique! I'm a newbie in terraria's style and any help would be cool
Alright, thanks! First, I believe you should tone down the main melody, as Terraria normally doesn't have that much of a high pitch. Occasionally, you may use way higher pitches in the Terraria-styled song, an example of this is the windy day song in Terraria, while most of the melody resides around Terraria's main comfort zone, it will sometimes have a group of notes that play in a high pitch. Second, the background music should have more diversity and be more active, as it adds to the atmosphere, this example is present in any Terraria song, aside from a few old ones. By an active background, I mean that a background theme is always present during the song. Your meteor biome theme song is a good example of an active background music, there isn't any point where there was just the melody playing.

Apologies in advance if this has upset/hurt you in any way, I'm not an expert at Terraria music but I do know quite a few traits they have, and I hope you have fun composing Terraria-styled music!

Thank you very much! Yeah, maybe I pitched everything too high. Meteorite biome theme is probably better (in terms of activity) because I made it 2 days ago, the corruption and crimson are older ones and I left them without changes (Probably too scared to change something in them without breaking stuff :happy: ). Also I had a small support from very skilled composers (for example Salvati, that guy who made OST to Spirit mod, his works are really inspiring to me). Btw, what theme do you think I can do next?

Thank you very much! Yeah, maybe I pitched everything too high. Meteorite biome theme is probably better (in terms of activity) because I made it 2 days ago, the corruption and crimson are older ones and I left them without changes (Probably too scared to change something in them without breaking stuff :happy: ). Also I had a small support from very skilled composers (for example Salvati, that guy who made OST to Spirit mod, his works are really inspiring to me). Btw, what theme do you think I can do next?
The nighttime desert seems like the most viable/easiest option! As the daytime has a very simple instrumental, and have only a few instruments to make it up, plus it's slow paced. You can also try the other themes if you want to do them first instead. Try to look at the environment your music is going to play in and compose on how you feel. A nighttime desert wouldn't be all party mode, but it would be sooth and calming, but it may also be suspenseful. I hope this helps!

These are awesome!!!

I do wonder about though, when you compare the corruption and the crimson, the corruption has its distinctive tune or melody, or how you call it, that recurring part, which appears a lot when you're in the corruption. the crimson feels a bit lacking of such a part. (though I'm a bit confused what part would be actually like that in the vanilla, surface (daytime) crimson music.

The meteor is awesome too, I would be just a bit sad of having such an awesome song appearing in a "biome" I really don't like (because it usually just ruins the landscape and it takes a while to get rid of the meteor, and you have to fight 250~500 meteor heads meanwhile XD

Deser night would be definitelly an interesting song too!

I was also wondering about different town themes for the different biome towns or such. at some point, I discussed it with someone who made one, but then that topic got forgotten...

Maybe from 0:45 onwards
Yes, I think. something like that.
It also reminded me, that Overhaul mod have some remake versions of the vanilla songs, and that in the crimson (the normal one, not when it's blooming in the autumn), the composer made one of the tunes a bit more distinctive, and it's distinctively recurring in the underground theme too.

I will give criticism about each of these:

First is the nighttime Crimson, it is, interesting. Though it is less like a nighttime Crimson, more like a palace of Crimson, not very fitting for the night, it is still good though.

Second is the nighttime Corruption, it is also interesting, I saw it as an alternative to the Corruption Underground or a Corruption themed Dungeon, also less nighttime vibes than my expectation.

The third one is the Meteorite theme song, this one slaps. It does bring the vibes of a meteor crash place, but rather than just a bunch of flying rocks, the song kinda gives you the thoughts of several extraterrestrial creatures lurking around the (mini) biome, if a few mods add a bit more creatures in the biome, this theme will be sick!

Anyways, the Meteorite is the best, the other two are just, less fitting into the Terraria game, other than that, these three are great, looking forward to those nighttime variants of other biomes.

I will give criticism about each of these:

First is the nighttime Crimson, it is, interesting. Though it is less like a nighttime Crimson, more like a palace of Crimson, not very fitting for the night, it is still good though.

Second is the nighttime Corruption, it is also interesting, I saw it as an alternative to the Corruption Underground or a Corruption themed Dungeon, also less nighttime vibes than my expectation.

The third one is the Meteorite theme song, this one slaps. It does bring the vibes of a meteor crash place, but rather than just a bunch of flying rocks, the song kinda gives you the thoughts of several extraterrestrial creatures lurking around the (mini) biome, if a few mods add a bit more creatures in the biome, this theme will be sick!

Anyways, the Meteorite is the best, the other two are just, less fitting into the Terraria game, other than that, these three are great, looking forward to those nighttime variants of other biomes.
I probably will re-do them (crimson&corruption themes) after Night Desert track, thank you!

Uhh, this seemed easier...

I already made like 5 attempts on desert track but none of them sounds nice in my opinion. So sorry for delay!

It's alright, patience and perseverance usually leads to a better result. Just push through until you found what tune you like.

In my opinion these were good musics, but the Crimson and Corruption ones had electric guitar in the its melody, which in my opinion does not fit with the themes of these biomes.

Just as a detail, the electric guitar is rarely used in songs from this game, as it indicates a lot of action, as we can hear in the Plantera music and in the Frost Legion music.

I expected something quite different from that for the nighttime on Crimson and Corruption.

In my opinion these were good musics, but the Crimson and Corruption ones had electric guitar in the its melody, which in my opinion does not fit with the themes of these biomes.

Just as a detail, the electric guitar is rarely used in songs from this game, as it indicates a lot of action, as we can hear in the Plantera music and in the Frost Legion music.

I expected something quite different from that for the nighttime on Crimson and Corruption.
Underground desert uses guitar, so I thought "why not?"
For me, guitar is instrument that shows something dangerous, chaotic. Corruption and crimson are very dangerous biomes, especially for pre-hardmode!

This is just a request (I'd do this myself, but I am not a songwriter), but can you do music for stuff like the Corrupted Underground Snow biome?

Back
Top Bottom