NPCs & Enemies [WIP] The Three Champions [With Sprites]

So, what do you feel about my first suggestion?

• Many things are missing (state what)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MiltVala

Plantera
So, This is my first suggestion! I almost find it weird I haven't done anything yet considering how I used to frequent the suggestion forums.
I've actually been spending about half a month passively building upon ideas, doodling, jotting notes, and this is the result!

Feel free to help rename anything cause I suck with names XD

Yes I renamed them in the last edit

helena_by_milt69466-d80tsun.png
The Three Champions
the_tank_by_milt69466-d80tny8.png
(place holder:p)
the_shadow_mage_by_milt69466-d7zyzyh.png

These three bosses will be post-Plantera .​

Summoning

First off, the player must craft the Challenger's Obelisk (will be described later) and place it anywhere in the world with suitable room (it's tall). The bosses will spawn according to how many hardmode bosses have been defeated. For each boss killed, their spawn chance increases by 5%. For each boss, a segment of the obelisk will glow. The maximum percentage stackable is 50% (each segment is glowing).At the start of the day with the event active, the text "The Challengers have arrived!" and each of the bosses will spawn at the Obelisk closest to the original spawn point in their NPC forms. Yup, that's right, they start as NPCs like the clother and skeletron. And of course, they are immune to damage. To initiate the boss fight, open up the dialogue with one of them and select "challenge". All of them must be fought at once.

Unlike most bosses, if you fail, they don't despawn. They will revert to NPC form, and regain all their health. However they will drop 25% less coins each time you have lost to them (losing four times will deplete the coin drop to 0. They will stay there until they have been defeated.

The Bosses

So this is the fun part (stats are subject to change)
All the bosses can no-clip through walls similar to Mourning Wood and Everscream

Melee boss: "The Tank"
This guy has the highest health, and is the most aggressive of the three.
the_tank_by_milt69466-d80tny8.png

40,000 health
80 damage
60 defense

zhan_ma_dao_by_milt69466-d80tnzi.png
Zhan Ma Dao 25% (100% for first time)
sillo_drake_by_milt69466-d80tnzc.png
Silo Drake 25%
Rocket_I.png
Rocket I (30-50) 100% with Silo Drake
staff_by_milt69466-d80tnyk.png
Combustion Staff 25%
bane_of_gods_by_milt69466-d80tny2.png
Bane of Gods 25%
helmet_1_by_milt69466-d80tnyt.png
Champion's Helmet 14.9% (100% on first time)
shield_by_milt69466-d80tnza.png
Bulwark Shield 50%
The Tank's Trophy 10% (sprite coming soon)
The Tank's Armor 10% (sprite coming soon)​
zhan_ma_dao_by_milt69466-d80tnzi.png

Zhan Ma Dao
Damage: 78
Knockback: 9
Max Stack: 1
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use Time: 26
Tooltip: Fabled for its ability to cut horses clean in half!
Holding the mouse rather than autoswing the sword will put it in "charge mode". The sword will be held above the player's head while doing so. for every 1.5 seconds held, one of the three circles on the blade will begin to glow blue. Each stack increases the size of the blade by 10% (represented by a larger blue outline of the sword. Damage is also increases by 5% per stack. This effect stacks up to three.
sillo_drake_by_milt69466-d80tnzc.png

Silo Drake
Damage: 38
Knockback: 4
Max stack: 1
Velocity: 7
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use Time: 32
Fires a burst of three rockets parallel to each other at the cost of one. The player moves at -80% speed while firing.
staff_by_milt69466-d80tnyk.png

Combustion Staff
Damage: 40
Knockback: 5
Mana: 15
Velocity: 8
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use Time: 25
Tooltip: The floor is on fire!
Fires a ball of Greek flame that is heavily affected by gravity, bounces twice, and pierces 5 enemies. The ball leaves a trail of Greek fire that falls to the ground and lingers for 5 seconds.
bane_of_gods_by_milt69466-d80tny2.png

Bane of Gods
Damage: 90
Knockback: 10
Velocity: 6
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use Time: 35
Tooltip: The Gods tremble in your wake!
Auto swings like other hammers (but this one cannot be used as a tool). It lobs a "Ghost hammer" projectile that does 80% of the weapon's damage. The projectile will fly forward for around ten blocks before falling to the ground due to gravity.​

Attack Patterns

Phase 1
40,000/40,000
  • Slowly walks toward you (think paladin)
  • Lunges at you with his sword 3 times with brief pauses in between.
  • Stands in one place, and fire a volley of three homing missiles from his chest. These are fast moving and have 100 health, 100 defense, and do 70 damage. They explode when destroyed inflicting damage if you are too close.
  • restarts pattern
Phase 2 20,000/40,000 (Blue flames will now shoot out of his back and head) (sprite to be added later)
  • Runs at you with greatly increased speed.
  • Lunges at you with increased speed and has a 33% chance to perform an "upward swing" in the case that the player has flown above him.
  • Fires a rapid bust of 8 missiles (same as previous but with no pause) and then shoots a Greek fire projectile that bounces, coating the floor with fire that does 50 damage and lingers for 10 seconds
  • Will jump up attempting to land on you and then restarts pattern
Phase 3 10,000/40,000 (His chest plate will break off revealing the missile tubes in his chest; flames turn green) (sprites to be added later)

He drops his trophy at this stage

10,000 health
100 damage
15 defense
  • Charges at you directly with insane amounts of speed and will go airborne for short periods of time if needed.
  • Fires a constant barrage of missiles that continues for 5 seconds.
  • Charges at you again but leaves Greek fire behind him that last 20 seconds and linger in the air for an average amount of time.
  • Swings his sword down sending a large shockwave projectile towards you that does 100 damage.
  • restarts pattern

Ranged Boss: "The Ghoul"
This guy tends to stay further away and focuses on attacking the player via range.

(sprite coming soon)

35,000 health
50 damage
30 defense

bow_by_milt69466-d80tny9.png
Jade Fury 25% (100% on first time)
dynasty_cannon_by_milt69466-d80y54q.png
Dynasty Cannon 25%
kusanagi_by_milt69466-d80tnz1.png
Kusanagi 25%
gun_by_milt69466-d80tnyo.png
Orochi Rifle 25%
helmet_2_by_milt69466-d80tnyu.png
Champion's Headdress 14.9% (100% on first try)
(sprite coming soon) Shoulder Ballista 50%
(sprite coming soon) The Ghoul's Trophy 10%
(sprite coming soon) The Ghoul's Armor 10%​

bow_by_milt69466-d80tny9.png

Jade Fury
Damage: 68
Knockback: 8
Velocity: 12
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use Time: 20
Tooltip: Imbues arrows with mythical power.
Arrows shoot in a straight line for 200 blocks before arching down. Nothing very special, but it fires arrows with a much higher velocity. Arrows shot will leave a green fire particle effect
dynasty_cannon_by_milt69466-d80y54q.png

Dynasty Cannon
Damage: 70
Knockback: 3
Mana: 12
Velocity: 15
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use time: 15
Tooltip: Fires a piercing laser with the power of ancients. BWEEEEN!
This magic weapon fires a laser that is two blocks thick and pierces infinitely (does not no-clip blocks). However, the player cannot move while the cannon is selected. Think of it as an upgraded heat ray.
kusanagi_by_milt69466-d80tnz1.png

Kusanagi
Damage: 60
Knockback: 4
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use time: 14
Tooltip: A legendary sword, said to belong to a god.
A very fast autoswinging sword. Each hit releases 3-5 "energy shards" that deal 20% of the weapons base damage. These shards do not pierce.
gun_by_milt69466-d80tnyo.png

Orochi Rifle
Damage: 30
Knockback: 1.8
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use time: 11
Tooltip: Fires a burst of eight shots, for the price of one!
A heavily upgraded version of the CAR, The Oroch rifle fires 8 round bursts. Shots fired leave a green fire particle effect and give ammunition an additional 20% chance to inflict On Fire!​

Attack Patterns

Phase 1
35,000/35,000
  • Tries to sticks to either the left or right side edge of the screen.
  • Shoots a very fast non-arching arrow in your direction dealing 80 damage in a slow constant rate.
  • Occasionally charges forward attempting to ram the player dealing contact damage.
  • Jumps back to edge of screen and restarts pattern
Phase 2 17,000/35,000
  • Begins firing bursts of bullets in the player's general direction in short intervals, shots have a spread of 20 degrees and each shot does 60 damage.
  • Hovers above you and strafes the ground with yellow "Dynasty lasers" before retuning back to the side of the screen.
  • Fires a salvo of arrows into the air which rain down over the player (same arrows of phase 1)
Drops trophy on defeat.

Magic/Summoner Boss: "The Shadow Mage"
She (yes she, it will be clearer when I make their NPC sprites) focusses on summoning minions, and later AOE type attacks.
the_shadow_mage_by_milt69466-d7zyzyh.png

30,000 health
70 damage
25 defense

staff_of_spirits_by_milt69466-d80tnzg.png
Staff of Spirits 25% (100% on first time)
cursed_brush_by_milt69466-d80tnyf.png
Cursed Brush 25%
heart_piercer_by_milt69466-d80tnyr.png
Heart Piercer 25%
crystal_door_mat_by_milt69466-d80tnyc.png
Crystal Doormat 25%
helmet_3_by_milt69466-d80tnyw.png
Champion's Hat 14.5% (100% on first time)
(sprite coming soon) Ink Wings 50%
(sprite coming soon) Shadow Mage Trophy 10%
(sprite coming soon) Shadow Mage Robes 10%​

Staff of Spirits
Damage: 75
Knockback: 8
Mana: 18
Velocity: 0.2
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use time: 27
Tooltip: (working on it)
This staff casts three spinning balls of light in a arc that slowly moves forward for 3 seconds. After 3 seconds have passed, the projectiles will accelerate greatly and home in on the nearest enemy. The projectiles no clip through walls, but will prefer to home on enemies not obstructed by blocks.
cursed_brush_by_milt69466-d80tnyf.png

Cursed Brush
Damage: 50
Knockback: 3
Mana: 10
Velocity: 10
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Tooltip: Summons cursed paintings to fight for you.
Buff: Paintings have risen to fight for you
This summoning weapon will summon 4 different types of minions. A melee orientated, a ranger, a drop collector, and a buffer. (I'll add the sprites later)
The melee orientated would track enemies in a similar fashion to the minions of the pirate staff
The Ranger will hover around a target, shooting a piercing shot every 2 seconds.
The drop collector does exactly what it is supposed to do, collect drops. They will no clip through blocks to collect drops and go back to you with the drops. hey can pick up one stack of items each trip.
The Buffer will stay near you, giving you the buff "Ink shield" ( +2 Defense, +2 HP/s Life regen, +5% damage, +20% minion knockback) you can have a maximum of two of these.
Due to the way the staff works, You will get four different minion buff icons. The staff will normally cycle between all four minions in the order of melee, ranged, collector, and buffer before cycling back. However, clicking on an existing minion will summon a minion of the same type.
heart_piercer_by_milt69466-d80tnyr.png

Heart Piercer
Damage: 60
Knockback: 0
Velocity: 14
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Use time: 18
Tooltip: Latches onto enemies, forcing their hearts to bleed.
When hitting an enemy, if the mouse is held down, the flail would latch onto the enemy. With each hit, the mob has a 33% chance to drop a heart.

Crystal Doormat
Damage: 50
Knockback: 1
Mana: 17
Velocity: 8
Rarity:
Rarity_color_8.png

Tooltip: Not the best way to treat a guest.
Lobs a crystal ball that is effected by gravity and latches to the first block it touches. The "door mat" would do damage to any enemy that walks on to it at a constant rate. It stays there for 7 seconds.​

(This is incomplete and will be added to later) I'm about 1/3 of the way done but feel free to comment or criticize. I'd also like some help on names, but the Zhan Ma Dao stays :p

Update 3: Added drop info for the Shadow Mage and changed method of summoning
Update 2: renamed thread, added The Ghoul, lowered The Tank's health, changed method of summoning.
Update 1: Added summon method and the 1st boss The Tank

Last edited:
Im not saying that your bad but its too classic and definitly not logic (eyes with teeth, pig like flying fish, you know). Its hard to make something in relogic style.
Maybe armor of chutulu
I think that challengers is to much rpg like but it's hard to connect that kind of boss into terraria

Im not saying that your bad but its too classic and definitly not logic (eyes with teeth, pig like flying fish, you know). Its hard to make something in relogic style.
Maybe armor of chutulu
I think that challengers is to much rpg like but it's hard to connect that kind of boss into terraria
Cthulhu threads get flamed on spot. Better leave any reference to Cthulhu out :p
I agree with you on everything else. But yet again, this is only a third of what I have :cool:
Maybe the others will fit in a little better after I post them in

Cthulhu threads get flamed on spot. Better leave any reference to Cthulhu out :p
I agree with you on everything else. But yet again, this is only a third of what I have :cool:
Maybe the others will fit in a little better after I post them in
honestly Im excited to see more

mechanicall king slime or mechanicall brain?

Last edited:
Ok, I've added a lot of new content, changed the name (waiting for a mod to change the title) and changed the mechanics quite a bit. Stay tuned for more!

This is actually quite cool and the provided spritework is aesthetically pleasing, if not a bit too large. A lot of elaboration is provided, too, which makes for good understanding and specifications on the suggestion. Concept is good, and the finished result; even better. Add more!

I like it! Who did your sprite artwork? It looks great!

I definitely like the idea of fighting them all at once. It'd be cool to do 3v3 matches with these! It'd be amazing.

Looks a bit weird for Terraria. #2 seems like it would be crazy hard to dodge it's attack pattern. I like the concept of them being NPC before you fight them though. Great pixel art btw!!

I like it! Who did your sprite artwork? It looks great!

I definitely like the idea of fighting them all at once. It'd be cool to do 3v3 matches with these! It'd be amazing.
Thanks! All these sprites are mine.
I got the idea of the 1 vs 3 recently from Yrimir's reborn mod video.
Looks a bit weird for Terraria. #2 seems like it would be crazy hard to dodge it's attack pattern. I like the concept of them being NPC before you fight them though. Great pixel art btw!!
The Ghoul's attacks would be pretty inaccurate, the phase 2 bullet attacks would be similar to Santa-NK1' standard attack. The arrow salvo would be delayed "cause it's a salvo", and the lasers wouldn't be a continuos beam. making it dodgeable.

I'll add this in to clarify when I have access to my computer later.

Oh, and thanks :p

Thanks! All these sprites are mine.
I got the idea of the 1 vs 3 recently from Yrimir's reborn mod video.

The Ghoul's attacks would be pretty inaccurate, the phase 2 bullet attacks would be similar to Santa-NK1' standard attack. The arrow salvo would be delayed "cause it's a salvo", and the lasers wouldn't be a continuos beam. making it dodgeable.

I'll add this in to clarify when I have access to my computer later.

Oh, and thanks :p

Oh, whoops. I thought #1s 3rd phase was another boss. Those attacks look pretty hard to dodge.

personally, i like the RPG-esque vibe that these guys carry, and in my opinion, there is room for some elements borne from the rpg style. that blather aside, i like the concept of having a beefed up challenge added to the game, thinking about all of the bosses that we've seen over the years, all of the different play styles and strategies that have been created and how the game has been evolving around these things, having a unique "boss" team like this would really force us to push ourselves to our limits to keep up and come out as the victor.

with THAT said, i'm sure if for sake of argument, if this was ever implemented, the devs would most likely revamp the designs for a more terrarian feel, but even as a "beta" concept, they have a very cool look about them, in which i know i can certainly appreciate.

i even found it intriguing that you had even given ideas for the the AI they would have. sure, they would give us an idea on what they would do, but once you put it into motion and see it in actual play, it would prove to be "swamping" very quickly. i mean c'mon, look at duke fishron and all of his shenanigans!! but with some careful planning and patience, it is a very realistic goal to be able to stand up and beat them....after many many bloody deaths and practice! :D

in conclusion to my analysis, i most definitely support your idea :)

CHEERS!

You have my vote too , nice sprites and description , and this two items made me hungry (hehe)
Staff of Spirits
Crystal Doormat

Back
Top Bottom