tModLoader Esper Class

Just been playing around a little bit with this mod... Is it okay if I tinker around in the code so I can help support this mod through adding in new weapons, armour, etc?
If not then how about sprite work? I'm not good with spriting but I'd like to improve so... please?
Oh and finally I was thinking some of these weapons, like the saw blades for instance, could have a right-click ability that causes them to orbit around you indefinitely, however, while orbiting around you it consumes 2 psychosis permanently. So you could either choose to have a ring of orbitals or use the weapons normal, or both!
Anyway, would really like to support this mod in any way I can and hope to see it grow, but for now, cya!
I would love new content, thanks for offering! Well, the code I use for the projectiles is iffy in ways I'm still trying to correct. I'm curious as to what you can come up with. We can go into further details via PM and perhaps even Discord.

Hmm... I'm not so sure about the right click ability just yet. It would certainly be something that the player should be capable of given the premise of the mod, but also, I had some limitations in place, like not controlling multiple TK weapons at once. While that would be pretty cool and it's not unheard of for psychics to use TK on multiple objects at once, it would lead to a balancing nightmare for this mod like how sentry count was for Expanded Sentries. Granted, the right click ability could disable left click or even using other TK weapons at the same time, but, we'll see.

Esper Class has been updated to 0.5. Finally, after some weeks, it is on the Mod Browser. The front page will be updated shortly to reflect the new current state of this mod. Thanks to help from more people than when I started this mod, the update came out faster than expected. It's quite a bit of content going up to the end of the Mecha bosses. There's still a lot of work to be done before this mod covers everything up to the Moon Lord, but it is getting there, with early hardmode now being fully playable with this mod.

I created an account because I really have to say, this mod is incredibly unique and fun. I'd say the ESPer class is much more fun than even the Thorium classes.

Im really like this mod! May you make some type of tutorial how make something like "Psychosis Meter"?
I'm planning on changing the code for it come next update, to line up with the example resource UI code in newer versions of Example Mod. I could then explain what I understand of the improved code.

The current code I have for the Psychosis UI is not very good, with issues related to scale and positioning. I attempted to follow HUD code used in Elemental Unleash. Mind you, I'm not saying the code in that mod is subpar, just that my attempt to re-create something similar from it hasn't came out that well due to my coding skills.

I love so much this mod, but, the armor on it didn't value, there are only 3 pre-hardmode armors, and i´ts so bad that gives like, 16 of armor and the sett bonuses are so poor.

I love so much this mod, but, the armor on it didn't value, there are only 3 pre-hardmode armors, and i´ts so bad that gives like, 16 of armor and the sett bonuses are so poor.
There was originally just two pre-hardmode armors previous update. In fact, compared to vanilla and some other class mods like Thorium's Bard, three full armor sets pre-hardmode is quite good in terms of amount. The newly added pre-hardmode armor covers the gap pre-boss and post Skeletron.

As for the defense values, I placed it lower than mage armor within the same tier, given the nature of Esper weapons being able to attack within safely easier than most other classes. The low defense is an intentional drawback and weak point. I would be opened to discussing the balance. Also, I would be opened to more unique set bonus ideas. Being that these are early game armors, the set bonuses, if changed, probably won't be anything too fancy.

Finally, after being so long overdue, five months since the previous release, Esper Class 0.6 is here. It should already be on the mod browser. The main forum post will be updated soon and the wiki will take even longer. Now, this isn't five months of brand new content developed that whole time, this update could have been done within a month. I wasn't modding or really playing Terraria much in that time. I do hope to have a bigger push to get this mod to 1.0 so the entire game up to Moon Lord is playable with it.

• Added several new weapons, a helmet piece, and few accessories to cover the period between post mecha bosses and right after defeating Plantera.
  • Plenty of redone sprites, mostly for weapons.
  • Jar weapons now require shaking in order to release projectiles. Also added shake effects for the Hellbat Jar and Pixie Jar.
  • Standardized Esper buff potion durations to now all be 5 minutes long.
  • Psychosis regeneration is now based on max base psychosis, not total psychosis from temporary boosts.
  • Regenerating to full psychosis now has feedback similar to regenerating mana to full.
  • Pixie Jar projectiles no longer can chase in water, based off of the Pixie NPC behavior.
  • Changed the sell prices for many weapons, massively making them cheaper to reforge, although very few cost somewhat more to reforge.
  • Did an overhaul of the UI code. Most of it is under the hood changes, but should make the UI function just a bit better, especially in regards to UI scaling.
  • Fixed Skeleton Bone Lobber being sold pre-hardmode.
  • The combat text from psychosis restoration is now pink instead of green.
  • Using psychosis potions now damages the player equal to the amount of psychosis restored instead of triggering the Side Effects debuff.

Finally, after being so long overdue, five months since the previous release, Esper Class 0.6 is here. It should already be on the mod browser. The main forum post will be updated soon and the wiki will take even longer. Now, this isn't five months of brand new content developed that whole time, this update could have been done within a month. I wasn't modding or really playing Terraria much in that time. I do hope to have a bigger push to get this mod to 1.0 so the entire game up to Moon Lord is playable with it.

• Added several new weapons, a helmet piece, and few accessories to cover the period between post mecha bosses and right after defeating Plantera.
  • Plenty of redone sprites, mostly for weapons.
  • Jar weapons now require shaking in order to release projectiles. Also added shake effects for the Hellbat Jar and Pixie Jar.
  • Standardized Esper buff potion durations to now all be 5 minutes long.
  • Psychosis regeneration is now based on max base psychosis, not total psychosis from temporary boosts.
  • Regenerating to full psychosis now has feedback similar to regenerating mana to full.
  • Pixie Jar projectiles no longer can chase in water, based off of the Pixie NPC behavior.
  • Changed the sell prices for many weapons, massively making them cheaper to reforge, although very few cost somewhat more to reforge.
  • Did an overhaul of the UI code. Most of it is under the hood changes, but should make the UI function just a bit better, especially in regards to UI scaling.
  • Fixed Skeleton Bone Lobber being sold pre-hardmode.
  • The combat text from psychosis restoration is now pink instead of green.
  • Using psychosis potions now damages the player equal to the amount of psychosis restored instead of triggering the Side Effects debuff.
nice update!

I've released 0.6.1. This is a hotfix release to address some issues that slipped by, especially in regards to multiplayer. Multiplayer seems to work fine now, but I'm not entirely sure. Please do let me know if any other issues, single player or multiplayer, pop up. Should everything be resolved, I hope I can rest easy knowing that this mod isn't broken for some and I can focus more on adding new content to finish out more of hardmode. In particular, I'm aiming for post Plantera dungeon (including biome chest weapon) and the Pumpkin and Frost Moon events.

- Switching away from the current TK weapon while using it now cancels its projectile in use. This should fix free psychosis usage if switching to a non-TK weapon and unintentional psychosis usage if no TK projectile is in use.

- Having Expanded Sentries loaded aside this mod without imkSushi's Mod also loaded should no longer cause an error stopping this mod and Expanded Sentries from loading together.

- Fixed Torch Twirler having the wrong dust and light.

- Multiplayer issues with psychosis should be fixed.

I'll be honest, so far this has become one of my favorite modded classes. The new weapons are unique and running out of psychosis has a nice little twist I didn't expect. Favorite weapon type has to be the rifts right now.

Agree with the previous post, absolutely joyous class to play and wonderfully inventive weapon mechanics. Just an idea, what if there was an an accessory whose right click- or perhaps a bindable hotkey that allowed you to "Halt" a telekinetic weapon mid-flight, at which point it would begin charging up telekinetic potential energy, and deal damage while set in place. Upon releasing the hotkey/right click, it deals up to double damage with a single attack and flies off in the direction that your cursor is pointing, draining extra psychosis. Sound like something that would fit?

Edit: Charging could have different effects for each type of weapon? Like rifts could fire an empowered shot, shooters could do a rapid fire burst, twirlers could sprout a rotating pair of flame jets similar to flamethrowers, Gusts could have their knockback increased, etc!

Last edited:
Oh! and another idea- An accessory called "Insanity Engine" or something like that, that causes your telekinetic damage to be massively increased whilst affected by the "Psyched out" debuff.

Agree with the previous post, absolutely joyous class to play and wonderfully inventive weapon mechanics. Just an idea, what if there was an an accessory whose right click- or perhaps a bindable hotkey that allowed you to "Halt" a telekinetic weapon mid-flight, at which point it would begin charging up telekinetic potential energy, and deal damage while set in place. Upon releasing the hotkey/right click, it deals up to double damage with a single attack and flies off in the direction that your cursor is pointing, draining extra psychosis. Sound like something that would fit?

Edit: Charging could have different effects for each type of weapon? Like rifts could fire an empowered shot, shooters could do a rapid fire burst, twirlers could sprout a rotating pair of flame jets similar to flamethrowers, Gusts could have their knockback increased, etc!
Thanks! I'm glad this mod has been entertaining for people since my goal is to add an interesting new combat playstyle. This wouldn't be the first time someone suggested a right click action for the weapons. Especially to give one for each weapon type, would be quite a bit to add, so that may not happen anytime soon, but I'll keep it in mind.
Oh! and another idea- An accessory called "Insanity Engine" or something like that, that causes your telekinetic damage to be massively increased whilst affected by the "Psyched out" debuff.
That in itself would probably be OP if there wasn't also a downside to it like more HP drained. I actually had in mind for a while now accessories that would change up what happens when you're in the negative psychosis state. Those may not make it into the next major release as I focus on adding enough regular content to account for the entire vanilla progression.

Thanks! I'm glad this mod has been entertaining for people since my goal is to add an interesting new combat playstyle. This wouldn't be the first time someone suggested a right click action for the weapons. Especially to give one for each weapon type, would be quite a bit to add, so that may not happen anytime soon, but I'll keep it in mind.

That in itself would probably be OP if there wasn't also a downside to it like more HP drained. I actually had in mind for a while now accessories that would change up what happens when you're in the negative psychosis state. Those may not make it into the next major release as I focus on adding enough regular content to account for the entire vanilla progression.
Hey man, thank you very much for the responses and aye, I can say that this mod has singlehandedly revitalised both my terraria addiction and my passion for forum theorycrafting, haha

As an aside, Espers coincidentally happen to be my singular most favourite archetype for characters as a rule, so I'm really invested in this mod. I have a couple more idea pitches I'd like to throw at you while I have the chance:
Pitch #1
An accessory that replaces Psyched Out with "Psychic Trance", which has the following effects:
-Grants you a negative Psychosis bar equivalent to the positive value, (referred to as "Trance")
-Each point of Trance increases your telekinetic stats across the board by, say, 5-10%? While reducing your character's overall movement speed equivalently and incurring a flat increase to damage taken due to your intense state of concentration.
-Gives you a Night Owl potion effect (Third Eye Opening)
-Reaching maximum Trance and sustaining it for too long may cause spontaneous cranial detonation, killing you instantly.
Trance decays twice as fast as your psychosis recovery rate, after two seconds of not using a telekinetic weapon. This would effectively allow you to toe the balance between raw power in exchange for making yourself more vulnerable and maybe even instakilling yourself if you aren't paying attention, punishing wanton usage while rewarding an attentive playstyle.

Pitch #2: Utility Psi Powers
Relatively simple concept, just psychic powers that more or less function like spells, using Psychosis instead of Mana and perhaps with individual cooldowns. A couple ideas:
-Psychokinetic Exclusion Zone:
Creates a large zone around you that slows enemy projectiles, increases your own projectile and telekinetic velocity, and heavily slows enemies that enter the zone (bosses unaffected, but will affect boss projectiles). This would synergise well with the overall playstyle as it would give you more time to react to threats from both sides, such as during a wave boss like Old One's Army.
-Psi-chronal Distortion:
You bend the flow of time around yourself, causing you to be locked in your current state. All damage and healing taken will be delayed until the end of this ability, and you cannot regenerate psychosis during this effect.
I believe this would be a great panic button for say, falling into lava, getting caught in a bad position versus a tough boss (spazmatism flamethrower), etc. Of course you would still have to heal enough to avoid dying after the effect, but this would give you enough time to maybe magic mirror back home and use the nurse, (or just get into a position where you can easily recover your money/items :p)

Sorry if this sounds like a huge dump of info, but I'm hella passionate about this mod and I really hope you keep working on it. I wanna see it thrive and be fleshed out as much as you can manage. Godspeed mate. Please set up a donation page

Last edited:
Hey man, thank you very much for the responses and aye, I can say that this mod has singlehandedly revitalised both my terraria addiction and my passion for forum theorycrafting, haha

As an aside, Espers coincidentally happen to be my singular most favourite archetype for characters as a rule, so I'm really invested in this mod. I have a couple more idea pitches I'd like to throw at you while I have the chance:
Pitch #1
An accessory that replaces Psyched Out with "Psychic Trance", which has the following effects:
-Grants you a negative Psychosis bar equivalent to the positive value, (referred to as "Trance")
-Each point of Trance increases your telekinetic stats across the board by, say, 5-10%? While reducing your character's overall movement speed equivalently and incurring a flat increase to damage taken due to your intense state of concentration.
-Gives you a Night Owl potion effect (Third Eye Opening)
-Reaching maximum Trance and sustaining it for too long may cause spontaneous cranial detonation, killing you instantly.
Trance decays twice as fast as your psychosis recovery rate, after two seconds of not using a telekinetic weapon. This would effectively allow you to toe the balance between raw power in exchange for making yourself more vulnerable and maybe even instakilling yourself if you aren't paying attention, punishing wanton usage while rewarding an attentive playstyle.

Pitch #2: Utility Psi Powers
Relatively simple concept, just psychic powers that more or less function like spells, using Psychosis instead of Mana and perhaps with individual cooldowns. A couple ideas:
-Psychokinetic Exclusion Zone:
Creates a large zone around you that slows enemy projectiles, increases your own projectile and telekinetic velocity, and heavily slows enemies that enter the zone (bosses unaffected, but will affect boss projectiles). This would synergise well with the overall playstyle as it would give you more time to react to threats from both sides, such as during a wave boss like Old One's Army.
-Psi-chronal Distortion:
You bend the flow of time around yourself, causing you to be locked in your current state. All damage and healing taken will be delayed until the end of this ability, and you cannot regenerate psychosis during this effect.
I believe this would be a great panic button for say, falling into lava, getting caught in a bad position versus a tough boss (spazmatism flamethrower), etc. Of course you would still have to heal enough to avoid dying after the effect, but this would give you enough time to maybe magic mirror back home and use the nurse, (or just get into a position where you can easily recover your money/items :p)

Sorry if this sounds like a huge dump of info, but I'm hella passionate about this mod and I really hope you keep working on it. I wanna see it thrive and be fleshed out as much as you can manage. Godspeed mate. Please set up a donation page
That is quite some high praise, thank you! I can do something with these ideas perhaps at a later time. For the moment, the main focus will be on finishing up the mod to be fully playable from start to finish. Trance does fit into the whole risk vs reward factor with Psychosis, so that may see the light of day in some form. It has crossed my mind for utility psychic powers, like rocket boots like flight using Psychosis, similar to the very early version of rocket boots using mana.

Since you have suggestions, would you like to come up with a couple? For the next release, I want to introduce an ocean biome chest weapon. So far, my ideas for that have been a tsunami, whirlpool, and giant bubble. I rather the weapon not just be a combo of pre-existing psychic weapon archetypes. The tsunami was not flushed out beyond just it being a tsunami. No, I rather it not be a movable Duke Fishron Sharknado. The whirlpool would act like a black hole, sucking in any non-knockback immune mobs. Thing is, I also want a black hole like weapon as one of Moon Lord's drops. The giant bubble would cause suffocation, although even with Terraria logic, that might be hard to justify on something like the undead. Also, I'm working on a buff station for Espers, a mirror. Thing is, I'm not sure what the buff should be. I rather it not be something already covered by the potions and accessories.

I admit, I've been scared of setting up any kind of donation page. I suppose I could do something like an one time donation thing or a Patreon to give backers access to in-development versions of my mods. But at the moment, I'm iffy on the whole idea.

That is quite some high praise, thank you! I can do something with these ideas perhaps at a later time. For the moment, the main focus will be on finishing up the mod to be fully playable from start to finish. Trance does fit into the whole risk vs reward factor with Psychosis, so that may see the light of day in some form. It has crossed my mind for utility psychic powers, like rocket boots like flight using Psychosis, similar to the very early version of rocket boots using mana.

Since you have suggestions, would you like to come up with a couple? For the next release, I want to introduce an ocean biome chest weapon. So far, my ideas for that have been a tsunami, whirlpool, and giant bubble. I rather the weapon not just be a combo of pre-existing psychic weapon archetypes. The tsunami was not flushed out beyond just it being a tsunami. No, I rather it not be a movable Duke Fishron Sharknado. The whirlpool would act like a black hole, sucking in any non-knockback immune mobs. Thing is, I also want a black hole like weapon as one of Moon Lord's drops. The giant bubble would cause suffocation, although even with Terraria logic, that might be hard to justify on something like the undead. Also, I'm working on a buff station for Espers, a mirror. Thing is, I'm not sure what the buff should be. I rather it not be something already covered by the potions and accessories.

I admit, I've been scared of setting up any kind of donation page. I suppose I could do something like an one time donation thing or a Patreon to give backers access to in-development versions of my mods. But at the moment, I'm iffy on the whole idea.
Thank you once again for your correspondence, and I'm honoured you'd ask! I actually had a couple ideas for ocean-themed psychic weapons beforehand:
-Sea of Tranquility
Jar type weapon; while deployed it will create watery orbs at a set interval, that hang suspended in the air as long as you hold the mouse button. Upon release, these projectiles quickly fly towards nearby enemies, damaging and leaving a lingering "drowning-esque" damage over time effect on them.
-Hadal Grip
Sawblade that rapidly circles the cursor as opposed to bouncing back and forth based on the direction of movement. Enemies stricken by the blade will be given a debuff that causes them to be pulled towards the blade's(cursor's?) position for a few seconds, but refreshes every time the blade hits them, causing a satisfying "ramping up" effect as they are pulled inexorably towards the gnashing teeth of the blade. (Alternatively, the debuff could stack with itself instead of refreshing, increasing the strength that the enemy is pulled with.) (Or, the weapon's knockback direction could just always be towards the cursor.)
-Vision of Depth
Rift type weapon; projects a beam reminiscent of the Aqua Sceptre except in a straight line towards targetted enemy. This beam has unlimited piercing, but deals a bonus instance of damage if it only affects one enemy.

For the mirror buff:
-Reflection of Self
Causes all of your telekinetic damage instances to echo themselves, at 50% damage from the original hit. Could also give the player (and/or their telekinetic weapons) a cosmetic afterimage similar to shadow set bonus.
-Extraspection
Hunter potion effect, allows your telekinetic weapons to ignore collision with terrain- but you gain a Mental Strain debuff that lasts for a moderate duration (somewhere between 3-10 seconds? it could also be based on how long the weapon was inside of a wall for. hard to say.) after any time that your weapon ceases contact with terrain, that prevents it from doing so for a time, behaving as normal.

Now, as for weapons outside of the bounds of the existing psychic weapon archetypes, I could plausibly ramble for hours about different archetypes for psychic weapons, but here's a few ocean themed ones I've cherrypicked:
-Hydrokinetic Spout
First click: Condenses ambient moisture into a single point, spawning a whirlpool style portal where you click.
Second click: Ejects a massive beam of water from the whirlpool's location toward your cursor. After activation, the beam will continue for as long as you continue to hold the mouse button with it equipped, or for a brief time after releasing it (during which it can be refreshed by reusing the weapon, to prevent accidentally ending the entire attack by inadvertently releasing the mouse button.) indicated by the beam thinning out and subsequently the portal closing. The beam will slowly follow your cursor, knocking back enemies along its length, piercing, and maybe slowing them down too as a general deterrant.
-Hyperbaric Press < my personal favourite
Creates a very large circular zone centered on your cursor that deals light damage to enemies within. This zone will shrink as you hold the mouse button, ramping up in damage exponentially. At or near maximum charge, this will inflict "the bends", causing brief confusion every tick and reducing enemy damage output (and/or a damage over time effect). In addition, it is extremely difficult to leave the pressurised zone when it is nearing full charge, keeping enemies strongly held in place unless they can reach a high enough velocity to escape it, (and maybe even allowing you to "force choke" enemies by slowly lifting them off the ground while crushing them with pressure?)
-Hydrosyphon
Similar the first one, but you hold the mouse button to charge it up. By default, this will charge slowly by draining ambient moisture from the air, however- if enemies are nearby, it will pull the moisture straight from their living body; inflicting minor damage, but charging up the weapon even faster. Upon reaching full charge, release the mouse button to create a pressurised explosion of water that inflicts incredible knockback and significant damage. Can also be released early for a less impressive blast. (Could also have an alt-fire that lets you throw the condensed water ball like a grenade when it's at maximum charge?) (Alternatively: Creates a ball that in the air that charges up, allows you to move it around like a standard telekinetic weapon. This would give it more synergy with the "Extraspection" mirror buff idea earlier- and also letting you blast enemies into the air by detonating it beneath their feet from the ground below.)

Oh, and might I add, I desperately desire more and better armour sets. The armour selection feels very limited as is, and doesn't give you much more engagement beyond simply "upgrading" to the next tier until you get to the headbands. A couple ideas in this area:
-Use the mirror as a crafting bench, allowing you to combine a full set of one armour type into an "Engram", allowing you to equip the set bonus separately, either as an accessory or in its own unique designated slot. For example, combining a full set of Cambrian armour would give you a Cambrian Engram, which would in turn give you the free movement and unhindered TK weapons in water. This could simply only extend to the mod's own armour sets, citing that "your psychometry only works on psychically attuned armours." Of course, it would be infinitely engaging if you could memorise ANY armour's set bonus... hehe.
-Add more set bonuses, perhaps with the alternate headpiece mechanic from vanilla. Using the aforementioned mechanic with the alternate headpiece would give you an "Alt Engram" that gives you the other set effect.
-heavily subjective opinion: Flesh out and condense the accessory selection. The vial necklaces are a good concept but I feel like they need more precursor upgrades other than only the terra necklace at very late into the game. Either give them a unique accessory slot in a similar manner to the previously mentioned Engram slot, allow individual vial necklaces to be combined into a new accessory that grants the effects of its constituent parts, or make vial necklaces a series of consumables whose effects you can change between at will with a relevant sub menu.

Hope these help! Let me know what you think, I'm excited to hear back from you.

Last edited:
I'd help with coming up with ideas, but I can't really think of much. Could make a discord for easier communication though.

Back
Top Bottom