Hardmode Armor Tier List

I disagree with putting an S on hallowed armor, especially on pc terraria. Adamantite armor already meets the same defense, so theres no point to upgrading.

Last time I played terraria on xbox 360 in like 2016, the hallowed armor was definitly a step above adamantite. But holy cow, upgrading from adamantite to hallowed is way less practical than before, idk what they did to adamantite armor, but it's way better now.
Hallowed armor is actually possibly the best armor set in the game now. There is literally no way adamantite competes with it, especially considering how long adamantite takes compared to hallowed, which is literally given to you for existing. Omniclass damage bonuses and a set bonus that rivals post-moon lord armor is absolutely nuts.
I disagree with putting an S on hallowed armor, especially on pc terraria. Adamantite armor already meets the same defense, so theres no point to upgrading.
Adamantite is both incredibly grindy to get and has worse stats and set bonus. Defense is actually one of the least useful stats in the game, especially in hardmode. I would even go as far as saying both Palladium and Orichalcum are better than Adamantite.

Last edited:
Hallowed armor is actually possibly the best armor set in the game now. There is literally no way adamantite competes with it, especially considering how long adamantite takes compared to hallowed, which is literally given to you for existing. Omniclass damage bonuses and a set bonus that rivals post-moon lord armor is absolutely nuts.
So your saying that a 51 defense total is better than a 73 defense beetle armor set? That doesn't make any sense. And yes, hallowed armor is basically given to you if you just play the game normally, but for me getting adamantite wasn't that hard since I used spelunker potions. I mean just omniclass bonuses don't seem to make much of an impact to me, but I'm a new player so I might be wrong.

So your saying that a 51 defense total is better than a 73 defense beetle armor set? That doesn't make any sense. And yes, hallowed armor is basically given to you if you just play the game normally, but for me getting adamantite wasn't that hard since I used spelunker potions. I mean just omniclass bonuses don't seem to make much of an impact to me, but I'm a new player so I might be wrong.
Defense is not a useful stat. In expert mode it barely even touches 90% of every attack at that point in the game, and by the end of the game everything deals so much damage that the only amount of defense that’s going to help you is if you completely dedicate your entire build to it, which isn’t even a viable strategy because literally everything will take forever to kill if you do that and you’ll get hit way more because you completely destroyed your own mobility. Beetle armor is actually still good because it has other stats besides defense which are much, much stronger. Damage Reduction is actually one of them and it’s way better at blocking damage. Want to know why Hallowed armor is the best armor in the game? Every 30 seconds you are completely immune to one hit. For players who don’t even get hit that often anyways, this means it can end up blocking hits in the literal hundreds (which don’t care about defense, by the way) and have absolutely no penalty for the user. Not only that, but this armor’s offensive bonuses are nothing to sneeze at, and they still boost every class at once, meaning you can summon minions, place nimbus clouds, and use a ranger weapon, and then everything around you will be disintigrated in seconds. If it isn’t, you won’t even get hit by anything anyway because the damage was blocked by Holy Protection. Hallowed armor makes killing Duke Fishron early easy. Adamantite isn’t even the best pre-mech armor for that fight.

I think Hallowed is somewhat overhyped, but it’s still worthy of S imo. Just not by as much of a margin as people say it is.

Holy Protection is just stupid. It’s one of the flat out best defensive bonuses in the game, outclassing anything you’d get from accessories and its only competition being the absurd damage reduction and regen of Beetle and Solar or the healing capacity of Specter Hood and Nebula.

I should point out that it falls off in damage. Adamantite offers just slightly more damage most of the time. It’s roughly equivalent in damage to Titanium, except for Mage where Titanium just offers more. Spider has 11% more base damage than Hallowed Hood. Chlorophyte offers a tiny bit more damage overall but also offers the leaf crystal which is a flat ~300 DPS as long as you keep attacking. Even further down the line, Hallowed’s damage bonuses become irrelevant and completely outclassed by most post-Plantera sets.

That said, it’s still worthy of S even if it is somewhat overhyped and isn’t a beast in damage, just because its set bonus is absolutely legendary as one of the best defensive bonuses in the game. If Forbidden and Crystal Assassin are the basis for S rank, than Hallowed definitely deserves to be there as well.

I think Hallowed is somewhat overhyped, but it’s still worthy of S imo. Just not by as much of a margin as people say it is.

Holy Protection is just stupid. It’s one of the flat out best defensive bonuses in the game, outclassing anything you’d get from accessories and its only competition being the absurd damage reduction and regen of Beetle and Solar or the healing capacity of Specter Hood and Nebula.

I should point out that it falls off in damage. Adamantite offers just slightly more damage most of the time. It’s roughly equivalent in damage to Titanium, except for Mage where Titanium just offers more. Spider has 11% more base damage than Hallowed Hood. Chlorophyte offers a tiny bit more damage overall but also offers the leaf crystal which is a flat ~300 DPS as long as you keep attacking. Even further down the line, Hallowed’s damage bonuses become irrelevant and completely outclassed by most post-Plantera sets.

That said, it’s still worthy of S even if it is somewhat overhyped and isn’t a beast in damage, just because its set bonus is absolutely legendary as one of the best defensive bonuses in the game. If Forbidden and Crystal Assassin are the basis for S rank, than Hallowed definitely deserves to be there as well.
It may be worth noting that hallowed almost directly counters Duke Fishron, who drops weapons strong enough that damage isn’t really a concern for quite a long time.

finally someone realizes adamantite isn't something to worry about, the real problem is your world getting cursed with cobalt, cobalt is worse than palladium in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE, the def is barely even more than the pre hm counter parts and the stat increases are very weak most weaker then the pre hm

finally someone realizes adamantite isn't something to worry about, the real problem is your world getting cursed with cobalt, cobalt is worse than palladium in EVERY WAY POSSIBLE, the def is barely even more than the pre hm counter parts and the stat increases are very weak most weaker then the pre hm

Yeah, Cobalt is hot :red:. Adamantite has a valid niche over Titanium in being above average in damage for its tier (hot take, adamantite’s damage is better than titanium’s set bonus) and mythril and orchialcum are both usable for mech bosses, but there is exactly zero reason you should ever use cobalt armor considering it’s not even an upgrade to prehardmode sets and has zero niche unlike even Palladium.

If anything, cobalt needs a buff, No one wants to create 50 WORLDS just to get an upgrade for hardmode due to cobalts terrible stats, the armor's def boost is ONE and the other stat boosts are the same/ weaker than their phm counter parts, molten armor grants more dmg
necro armor buff gained 3 def and a 15% crit chance boost
jungle armor gives more mana than the cobalt set.

If anything, cobalt needs a buff, No one wants to create 50 WORLDS just to get an upgrade for hardmode due to cobalts terrible stats, the armor's def boost is ONE and the other stat boosts are the same/ weaker than their phm counter parts, molten armor grants more dmg

I wouldn’t say it’s worth making multiple worlds when you can just go for second or third tier ores instead and ignore cobalt altogether.

Though if cobalt's only use is making a pickaxe so you can mine second tier ores, it definitely needs a buff.

Pickaxe is the only thing you need from cobalt, and while palladium armor is better, your better off mining mythril or orachalcum and getting *those* armor sets. Honestly there is no point in getting colbat armor, orachalcum easily weighs out colbat even if it's rarer.

Pickaxe is the only thing you need from cobalt, and while palladium armor is better, your better off mining mythril or orachalcum and getting *those* armor sets. Honestly there is no point in getting colbat armor, orachalcum easily weighs out colbat even if it's rarer.
even then, because of palladium items higher stats, its easier to survive underground hm with the really gud set bounus and extra def, compared to cobalt what

Have you considered making an updated guide on the armors seeing as the orichalcum set got a damage buff to the leggings? Cobalt got some small buffs too (still F tier), Chlorophyte set bonus got another small buff in targetting this time. Both Titanium and Hallowed Armor gained major nerfs as well. Shroomite Armor gained more use case utilities with the rocket helmet gaining use with non bullet and arrow weapons(outside of rockets and stakes). Finally Beetle Scale and Tiki Armour gained some major buffs receiving a 33% longer charge duration and 30% whip range increase respectively. Obsidian Armor also gained a substantial nerf.

Yeah i need to update the guide for 1.4.4, but i'll wait a bit to see how the meta develops first
my thoughts on the relevant changes

First of all, no craftable armor can be considered a waste of materials because they can be shimmered. If you want to stick a Cobalt Hat onto your mage set temporarily, you can do that with no regrets.

Hallowed has always been weird because it's a defensive set that becomes better the more of a glass cannon you are. Currently, it's optimal if you get hit exactly once every 30 seconds with exactly 30 seconds in between. I've been using all Warding in many of my tests and Hallowed never really felt worth it on my loadouts, but that would have been the case both before and after the update. Take the damage taken per hit and divide that by 30, and that's the effective regeneration per second in the best-case scenario.

Chlorophyte ranged is BiS for single-target. All chlorophyte sets are reliable DPS now; no matter how :red: your weapon is, you'll be dealing ~300 base DPS to something.

Chlorophyte magic is very slightly behind the minmaxed magic DPS hybrid set, but its defense is passable and it's really nice how it knocks away the closest enemy. In terms of both defense and DPS, it's right between the minmaxed hallowed+chloro+apprentice set and this awful hallowed+squire+apprentice tank set I invented.

Chlorophyte melee, unlike the other sets, actually has worse defense than most of the other options, and I don't think 5% damage reduction makes up for that. Still good defense though, and the best DPS set you can get without Old One's Army.

Tiki is decent with the new whip range. Tiki Mask (10% whip range) is not worth it on hybrid sets imo; the point of summoner hybrid sets is to not be a glass cannon, and 6 defense compared to spooky (9) or hallowed melee (24) is kinda sus.

Beetle Scale Mail change isn't an important buff because you should be at max might at all times during boss fights and invasions regardless. What is relevant is that there is now an incredibly strong melee weapon with good range that scales with melee speed, which buffs Beetle Scale Mail indirectly because that massive melee speed bonus actually counts for something.

Shroomite Rocket Helmet is currently BiS for only two relevant weapons, the Piranha Gun and Elf Melter. That's 2 more than it was BiS for previously. i guess we take those

my thoughts on the relevant changes

First of all, no craftable armor can be considered a waste of materials because they can be shimmered. If you want to stick a Cobalt Hat onto your mage set temporarily, you can do that with no regrets.

Hallowed has always been weird because it's a defensive set that becomes better the more of a glass cannon you are. Currently, it's optimal if you get hit exactly once every 30 seconds with exactly 30 seconds in between. I've been using all Warding in many of my tests and Hallowed never really felt worth it on my loadouts, but that would have been the case both before and after the update. Take the damage taken per hit and divide that by 30, and that's the effective regeneration per second in the best-case scenario.

Chlorophyte ranged is BiS for single-target. All chlorophyte sets are reliable DPS now; no matter how :red: your weapon is, you'll be dealing ~300 base DPS to something.

Chlorophyte magic is very slightly behind the minmaxed magic DPS hybrid set, but its defense is passable and it's really nice how it knocks away the closest enemy. In terms of both defense and DPS, it's right between the minmaxed hallowed+chloro+apprentice set and this awful hallowed+squire+apprentice tank set I invented.

Chlorophyte melee, unlike the other sets, actually has worse defense than most of the other options, and I don't think 5% damage reduction makes up for that. Still good defense though, and the best DPS set you can get without Old One's Army.

Tiki is decent with the new whip range. Tiki Mask (10% whip range) is not worth it on hybrid sets imo; the point of summoner hybrid sets is to not be a glass cannon, and 6 defense compared to spooky (9) or hallowed melee (24) is kinda sus.

Beetle Scale Mail change isn't an important buff because you should be at max might at all times during boss fights and invasions regardless. What is relevant is that there is now an incredibly strong melee weapon with good range that scales with melee speed, which buffs Beetle Scale Mail indirectly because that massive melee speed bonus actually counts for something.

Shroomite Rocket Helmet is currently BiS for only two relevant weapons, the Piranha Gun and Elf Melter. That's 2 more than it was BiS for previously. i guess we take those
What does "BiS" stand for? I'm not familiar with that term.

What does "BiS" stand for? I'm not familiar with that term.
it stands for Best in Slot. people use it to say that something gives the best stats for an equipment slot. (i think i might have used it wrong when i said chlorophyte armor was BiS because i'm talking about an armor set, which takes up 3 slots)

Back
Top Bottom