Full Game Accessory Tier List

What rank should the Shark Tooth Necklace and the Stinger Necklace be at?

• B rank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C rank

• D rank

• F rank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can easily just avoid the lava layer though. Palladium and Orichalcum are both definitely strong enough to kill the mechs.
A) Can't really avoid the Lava Layer when trying to get to hell unless you're lucky enough to get a Demon Conch
B) In Normal and Expert Mode, you don't need titanium. However, people who are bad like me need it in Master Mode. And of course, new players would probably prefer it over the weaker ores. Not every Terrarian has multiple thousands of hours under their belt and enough expirence to beat the Mech Bosses with Mythril or Oricalcum.

You can easily just avoid the lava layer though. Palladium and Orichalcum are both definitely strong enough to kill the mechs.

Orchialcum definitely so. Palladium probably if you’re going defensive, but I think it’s somewhat overrated (every stat bonus it offers except regen is really awful).

But Adamantite and Titanium are still quote superior to either of those sets, and especially to the underdogs that are Mythril and Cobalt. And then there’s the fact that both Frost and Forbidden are now stupidly strong in their own right and a valid enough reason to dig out tons of Adamantite or Titanium.

A) Can't really avoid the Lava Layer when trying to get to hell unless you're lucky enough to get a Demon Conch
You spend about 5 seconds there if you built a hellevator/cavern pylon each time so it's still minimal you'll fall in lava.
B) In Normal and Expert Mode, you don't need titanium. However, people who are bad like me need it in Master Mode. And of course, new players would probably prefer it over the weaker ores. Not every Terrarian has multiple thousands of hours under their belt and enough expirence to beat the Mech Bosses with Mythril or Oricalcum.
I actually prefer Orichalcum for the free pierce and extra 30 flat DPS. It's way faster to get too. Although usually I just ignore it altogether and go straight for spider>crystal assassin.

I actually prefer Orichalcum for the free pierce and extra 30 flat DPS. It's way faster to get too. Although usually I just ignore it altogether and go straight for spider>crystal assassin.
Really? Orichalcum has the worst raw offensive stats of all the ore armors, and its set bonus is just a worse version of frost armor which has way higher stats.

Really? Orichalcum has the worst raw offensive stats of all the ore armors, and its set bonus is just a worse version of frost armor which has way higher stats.

Orchialcum has kind of bad pure damage, but it makes up for it with a *lot* of crit chance. And the set bonus is very helpful for the Pirates or Queen Slime, which can’t be said about Frost’s DOT. I wouldn’t put it above anything crafted with T3 ores but it is a good enough choice if you’re lazy or rushing.

Orchialcum has kind of bad pure damage, but it makes up for it with a *lot* of crit chance. And the set bonus is very helpful for the Pirates or Queen Slime, which can’t be said about Frost’s DOT. I wouldn’t put it above anything crafted with T3 ores but it is a good enough choice if you’re lazy or rushing.
If you need crowd control, you're using a crowd control weapon, frostburn DoT will be applied to every enemy you hit with your crowd control weapon.

If you need crowd control, you're using a crowd control weapon, frostburn DoT will be applied to every enemy you hit with your crowd control weapon.

Of course, but Orchialcum’s petals always try to rush across the screen horizontally, which means it will cut through the entire line of enemies even out of the player’s immediate reach or behind. There’s also nothing wrong with reinforcing already piercing weapone either. And although its damage is lower than Frost considering defense, it’s also a tier easier to get which is Orchialcum’s main strength and has the benefits I listed above.

In singleplayer, it is almost useless, because aggro reduction has no effect

The fact that aggro reduction of putrid scent is useless in single player is quite a common misconception. I have played around with it quite a bit, and noticed that the aggro reduction does have an effect, but it's weird. Basically, when you equip putrid scent, most (but not all) enemies will simply not be able to see you - as in, they won't try to target you. Bats and wraiths will just fly by, zombies will walk by etc. However, they can still hurt you with contact damage. I haven't tested which enemies do and do not get affected by aggro reduction, but in theory, it's a really great accessory for building and mining, as it makes enemies mostly leave you alone, meaning you don't have to switch your attention on that random bat that's flying around every 5 seconds. I don't know if that's enough to put it into A, but it's something that should at least be noted.

Even without the aggro effect the putrid scent's 5% damage and crit is enough to make putrid scent a decent accesory, sure its not as good as the avenger emblem or destroyer emblem but its available long before those accesories.

The fact that aggro reduction of putrid scent is useless in single player is quite a common misconception. I have played around with it quite a bit, and noticed that the aggro reduction does have an effect, but it's weird. Basically, when you equip putrid scent, most (but not all) enemies will simply not be able to see you - as in, they won't try to target you. Bats and wraiths will just fly by, zombies will walk by etc. However, they can still hurt you with contact damage. I haven't tested which enemies do and do not get affected by aggro reduction, but in theory, it's a really great accessory for building and mining, as it makes enemies mostly leave you alone, meaning you don't have to switch your attention on that random bat that's flying around every 5 seconds. I don't know if that's enough to put it into A, but it's something that should at least be noted.
I checked the decompiled source code and did some testing.

Turns out this is because many enemies (mostly fighter AIs) move in the direction they are facing and rely on the targeting method to make them face toward the player.
The part of the targetting method requires that a player have an aggro value >=0 or be using an item, if you have the putrid scent equiped and aren't using an item enemies can't use the targeting method to 'face' you.
gyazo.com

See how the goblin stops tracking me when I equip the scent but starts tracking agian when I use the starlight.

I've also found that you can use aggro to manipulate betsy's AI making her focus you or the crystal.

Well, that explains a lot. Cuts down the utility since using pickaxes/placing blocks will reveal you, but could still come in handy for exploration and searching.

Also if you equip more than one aggro reduction item, the effect gets stronger.

I kind of disagree with the red knuckles being b tier. I was fighting duke fishron on ftw expert mode,and I had 60 defense.I reforged a few of my accesories to warding which got it to 70 defense.
at 60 defense,I took around 220 dmg.with 70 def. I took 170. had I not reforged my accesories to warding and used warding red knuckels instead,I would've gotten 72 def.and maybe if I reforged after that,I would've gotten 80 def.

I kind of disagree with the red knuckles being b tier. I was fighting duke fishron on ftw expert mode,and I had 60 defense.I reforged a few of my accesories to warding which got it to 70 defense.
at 60 defense,I took around 220 dmg.with 70 def. I took 170. had I not reforged my accesories to warding and used warding red knuckels instead,I would've gotten 72 def.and maybe if I reforged after that,I would've gotten 80 def.

That’s not how defense is calculated though, in Expert Mode you take 2 points less damage for 3 defense. The 8 defense on the flesh knuckles will be 5-6 less damage taken. In fact since defense is pretty much the only reason you’d use them in singleplayer and its effects are kind of small, I’d say B tier might even be a bit generous.

The difference in damage is probably because different boss attacks or phases have different damage, or because of other factors like damage reduction or the damage value simply rolling higher or lower.

@whoneedsnamestbh is correct that the defense difference of 10 changing damage from 220 to 170 is not possible.

Every attack in the game (player and enemy) has a 15% variation. For example, an attack that deals 100 damage exactly can do as little as 85 or as high as 115.

For an attack doing 200, this would equate to a range of 170-230 potential damage. That variation accounted for the greater majority of the difference in values, not the increased defense from extra accessories. For consistent durability testing, you need at least dozens of data samples (though with damage values this high, you'd want more).

[Magnet Flower] it might be a better idea to save the Celestial Magnet for the Celestial Cuffs or the Celestial Emblem, and the Mana Flower for the Mana Cloak.
The part about the Celestial Emblem is the only part I agree with. Outside of Mana Regeneration Potions, the two most reliable ways to restore mana are Mana Flower (for boss fights) and Celestial Magnet (for normal enemies), effects that are both provided by the Magnet Flower. Generally, it's far better than relying on self-damage or picking up an item that spawns on the ground after a delay.

Also, "saving" the Celestial Magnet is not really a thing because it's not like the Traveling Merchant only sells one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom