Official Behind the scenes of Journey's End - A Q&A with the Programmers and Artists of Terraria

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 304460

View attachment 304461

Hello Terrarians! The 1.4 Journey's End update has been out in your hands for a bit now, and since you've had a chance to play through and experience most of the new, exciting changes and additions, we thought it would be fun to give you a chance to ask some behind the scenes questions of the skilled programmers and gifted artists of Re-Logic that spent their time working on this update. Best of all, just for joining in you may even win a prize!

THESE TALENTED INDIVIDUALS ARE PART OF RE-LOGIC, THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM BRINGING YOU TERRARIA ON PC, AND AS SUCH, DO NOT HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR ANSWERS TO GIVE IN REGARDS TO TERRARIA ON CONSOLE OR MOBILE.

Now's your chance to ask those burning questions, such as what was the hardest thing to code, how do the artists get inspired to create a new item, what goes into the balancing of a new weapon, etc. You can ask your question to the group in general, or if you want to ask a specific Terraria dev, here's who will be joining us in this Q&A event:

View attachment 304462

• Ask your questions in this thread, starting now until Tuesday, January 19 at 10:00 PM EST. Answers will be posted at a later date compiled together.
  • One post per member. No placeholder posts. You can ask as many questions as you want, but please keep them in one post. You may edit your post anytime.
  • Please keep questions reasonable and do not spam.
  • Some questions will be chosen and answered (not all of them).
  • Every member that asks a question will automatically be entered into a raffle.
    • You can ask as many questions as you want, but it won't increase your chance of winning. One raffle entry per qualifying member.
    • Raffle winner will be chosen by random draw and will win a prize of $50 Steam money. The winner will be announced with the answers.

View attachment 304461

That wraps it up for now Terrarians. Have fun with this opportunity and let the questions begin!​
Why was the First Fractal swapped out
View attachment 304460

View attachment 304461

Hello Terrarians! The 1.4 Journey's End update has been out in your hands for a bit now, and since you've had a chance to play through and experience most of the new, exciting changes and additions, we thought it would be fun to give you a chance to ask some behind the scenes questions of the skilled programmers and gifted artists of Re-Logic that spent their time working on this update. Best of all, just for joining in you may even win a prize!

THESE TALENTED INDIVIDUALS ARE PART OF RE-LOGIC, THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM BRINGING YOU TERRARIA ON PC, AND AS SUCH, DO NOT HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR ANSWERS TO GIVE IN REGARDS TO TERRARIA ON CONSOLE OR MOBILE.

Now's your chance to ask those burning questions, such as what was the hardest thing to code, how do the artists get inspired to create a new item, what goes into the balancing of a new weapon, etc. You can ask your question to the group in general, or if you want to ask a specific Terraria dev, here's who will be joining us in this Q&A event:

View attachment 304462

• Ask your questions in this thread, starting now until Tuesday, January 19 at 10:00 PM EST. Answers will be posted at a later date compiled together.
  • One post per member. No placeholder posts. You can ask as many questions as you want, but please keep them in one post. You may edit your post anytime.
  • Every member that asks a question will automatically be entered into a raffle.
    • You can ask as many questions as you want, but it won't increase your chance of winning. One raffle entry per qualifying member.
    • Raffle winner will be chosen by random draw and will win a prize of $50 Steam money. The winner will be announced with the answers.

View attachment 304461

That wraps it up for now Terrarians. Have fun with this opportunity and let the questions begin!​
Why was the First Fractal swapped out for the Zenith, and are there future plans for the First Fractal? Also, what was the coolest idea that didn't make it into Journey's End?

I'm interested in getting into game development. I've noticed that you guys didn't develop Terraria in a game engine and started basically from the ground up. What are the advantages/disadvantages for using dot net for game dev with the XNA library? Should I stick with godot when learning or starting out? How many games did all of you develop before you guys started working on Terraria? I'm just really interested in the development side of Terraria and would like to know a little more behind it! Thank you for giving me good child-hood memories with a game I'll never stop playing for the next decades to come!

1.Why did you guys make sky islands
2. What inspired terraria
3. Will terraria ever have a sequel
4. Was 1.4 actually terraria last update
5. Was the arkhalis design choice based off the diamond sword from minecraft
6. What is your favorite enemy in terraria.
7. Why is there no halloween exclusive npc
8. What is your favorite weapon
9. Why was terraria otherworld cancelled
10. Will you respond to this :D

Last edited:
  1. Are Amphibian Boots supposed to stack ascent speed with other frog leg accessories? Frog Leg, Frog Flipper, Frog Webbing, and Frog Gear do not stack with each other, but Amphibian boots are allowed to stack with everything.
  2. Is it a bug that even if a dunes biome does not generate a pyramid, it always prevents nearby pyramids from spawning? Overlapping dunes biomes currently lower the chance of getting a pyramid instead of raising it. I think pyramids might be rarer than they were intended to be.
  3. Star cannon fires non-elemental projectiles, but Super Star Shooter fires ranged projectiles. This is strange because Star Cannon is a ranged weapon, so it will get bonus damage from ranged damage boosting equips, but cannot critical hit or trigger frost armor's set bonus. Is Star Cannon supposed to be ranged, or should Super Star Cannon be non-elemental? I know that the star cannon shares projectiles with falling stars, but stars spawned by the star cannon can easily have the ranged type dynamically re-assigned to them.
Pyramids will not spawn if:
  1. Within 300 blocks of the edge of the map.
  2. Within 15% of the map's width of the dungeon center or between the dungeon and the nearest ocean.
  3. The block nearest the top isn't uncorrupted sand.
  4. Another pyramid previously attempted to spawn within 220 blocks, or 110 blocks with seed "5162020". Pyramids that failed to spawn will block others!
Only one Pyramid will attempt to be placed per dunes biome. It appears that dunes biomes can overlap, which will reduce the number of pyramids that will spawn. Dunes cannot spawn near jungle, snow, or the edge of the map, increasing the chance of them overlapping. If dunes get overwritten by later parts of the worldgen, the sand check will fail and those pyramid spawn attempts end up being a liability that blocks nearby pyramids from spawning. It is possible to have a chain of failures where a world with many dunes biomes generates no pyramids.

Last edited:
1.Favorite animal?(may not exist)
2. Why exactly does the hero's broken sword fall from Motron?
3. how did you come to the mechanics of sky towers?
4. how do you feel about minecraft?
5. favorite mount?

thx for the amazing game with such a big ability to have mods
To programmers:
1. what was the hardest thing to code? (Boss/Mechanic/UI/smth) explain why
2. why do you and the team using god classing? or redigit just coded it like this first time and now files are so big? (asking as a modder, who decompiled Terraria to get stuff to work)
To spriters:
1. your opinion about Calamity Mod sprites

Last edited:
(Sorry for my English)
1. Why 1.4 is the final update?
2. When and why you have got an idea to make a game?
3. What are your favourite armor set sprite?
4. Why you decided to support TModLoader officially?
5. What's your favourite terraria mod?
6. What do you likes in Calamity Mod and what dislikes
7. What in your opinion is most unbalanced class in the game?
8. What in your opinion is most unbalanced weapon in the game?
9. What community server do you like most of all?
10. How much you skilled at Terraria?
11. What is your favourite class in Terraria?
12. What in your opinion is better: Crimson or Corruption and why?

Greetings, dear developers. In advance I would like to apologize for the possible difficult understanding of this text. I just live in Russia, so I have to use a translator, but it is very inaccurate:(. Now to the topic. To be honest, what interests me most is the following question: Can Terraria get such a great feature as Crossplay ??? Of course, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that it could even increase the level of interest in the game. Of course, piracy is inevitable (in the case of PCs and phones). But I think you will find a way to prevent people without a license from playing with other people who honestly bought the game.

1. What was something you wish you could’ve added to the game?
2. What was your favorite thing you added to the game?
3. How much time do you tend to spend on a single idea you have for something new?
4. What is some advice you would have for someone else looking to pursue game development?
5. What is your favorite stage of the game?
6. How’s Unity?
7. You guys are awesome, keep doing what you do so well!

1. Whats your favorite class
2. whats your favorite pet
3. How did you come up with the Empress of Light
4. Why was the Cultist bag not implemented
5. Who decided the name/design of the Zenith and is it a reference to anything
6. Why does the monk armor have higher defense than stardust armor
My question:
Personally I don’t care for the golf feature in terraria....
But I would if
Maybe a rocket golf club could be added?
It would make for more awesome trickshots, and enable the games/ maps to be bigger
it would be cool if the golf ball would go threw teleporters

To anybody

1. What's your favorite reference?
2. What was the inspiration for plantarra?
The band pantera Cnexs favorite band

Last edited:
View attachment 304460

View attachment 304461

View attachment 304462

View attachment 304461

My question:
Personally I don’t care for the golf feature in terraria....
But I would if
Maybe a rocket golf club could be added?
It would make for more awesome trickshots, and enable the games/ maps to be bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom