Official Behind the scenes of Journey's End - A Q&A with the Programmers and Artists of Terraria

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 304460

View attachment 304461

Hello Terrarians! The 1.4 Journey's End update has been out in your hands for a bit now, and since you've had a chance to play through and experience most of the new, exciting changes and additions, we thought it would be fun to give you a chance to ask some behind the scenes questions of the skilled programmers and gifted artists of Re-Logic that spent their time working on this update. Best of all, just for joining in you may even win a prize!

THESE TALENTED INDIVIDUALS ARE PART OF RE-LOGIC, THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM BRINGING YOU TERRARIA ON PC, AND AS SUCH, DO NOT HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR ANSWERS TO GIVE IN REGARDS TO TERRARIA ON CONSOLE OR MOBILE.

Now's your chance to ask those burning questions, such as what was the hardest thing to code, how do the artists get inspired to create a new item, what goes into the balancing of a new weapon, etc. You can ask your question to the group in general, or if you want to ask a specific Terraria dev, here's who will be joining us in this Q&A event:

View attachment 304462

• Ask your questions in this thread, starting now until Tuesday, January 19 at 10:00 PM EST. Answers will be posted at a later date compiled together.
  • One post per member. No placeholder posts. You can ask as many questions as you want, but please keep them in one post. You may edit your post anytime.
  • Please keep questions reasonable and do not spam.
  • Some questions will be chosen and answered (not all of them).
  • Every member that asks a question will automatically be entered into a raffle.
    • You can ask as many questions as you want, but it won't increase your chance of winning. One raffle entry per qualifying member.
    • Raffle winner will be chosen by random draw and will win a prize of $50 Steam money. The winner will be announced with the answers.

View attachment 304461

That wraps it up for now Terrarians. Have fun with this opportunity and let the questions begin!

A quick reminder - this is for the PC dev team. Please don't ask questions about Console or Mobile. `:)
Question no. 1: why did you make terraria?
Question no. 2: did you have plans to add anymore bosses but was scrapped for unknown reasons?
Question no. 3: what inspired you to make bosses?
Question no. 4: what inspired you choose the design for terraria?
Question no. 5: in your opinion (and I want the T R U T H), if you didn’t design this game/code this game nor did you have anything associated with this game, would you call this game (please bare with me) 2d Minecraft.

I've got a few questions to ask. If I think of any more before the developers respond, I'll edit this message and add them.

Question 1. Artists, how have you managed to sprite so many unique tiles? Is there any "shortcuts" or "sprite-hacks" you have to making them, and is there any designated program used to making them? I'd like to get better at spriting tiles, so I thought asking this could help that somewhat.

Question 2. For everyone, what was your favorite parts of developing the game? What did you enjoy creating most, and what took the longest?

Question 3. Was there any sprites or ideas/concepts that you wanted to be added to the game, but for one reason or another couldn't be added? If so, would you mind sharing some of them?

Question 4. Is there any explanation behind the unobtainable/unimplemented items such as the Pixel Block, Cultist Treasure Bag, Phasic Warp Ejector, DD2 items, etc.? If there's already official explanations for all of those, please leave a link to them. I'm sure a lot of people are curious about them.

Question 5. For everyone again. Do any of you work on other projects in your spare time, besides the game itself (mods and other addons count as "separate projects")?

And that's all for now. I hope these questions end up being answered. And thanks to y'all for making such a great game!

1.) What was the most difficult weapon/item to code?
2.) I know Journey's End was said to be the last major update, but is there a chance at more content in the future?
3.) I have heard very faint rumors of potentially a "Terraria 2"... Are these rumors true?
4.) Will you ever add an achievement for obtaining the Terraprisma? I feel like it's worthy of its own achievement...
5.) Will there ever bee any more events like the Journey's End Vanity Contest again? I had a TON of fun creating submissions for it, and I'm sure other people did too, and would love to see something similar come back in the future.
6.) What programming language is Terraria coded in? It seems like a pretty dumb question, but I'm just curious...

Last edited:
1. What will become of the future for Terraria, or its franchise?
2. Is it true Terraria: Otherworld was going to be released open source if enough signature were met?
3. Was there any gimmick, feature, or mechanic that you wished had been put into Terraria, but didn't?

What software or program did you guys use to create all the pixel art in Terraria (like the character, monster, environment, etc)?

Eh, I am just curious of what the professional use.

Bonus Question:
What's each of you guys' favorite cartoon, anime, or movie?

This is a question that I am mostly directing to Jimmarn. What are the chances that I did not get your dev set once after opening a full stack of treasure bags?

On a bit of a more serious note, a question I have to the mods in general, what is your favorite weapon in the game? If you can't think of any single weapon, a weapon class or a subtype (spears, sentries, etc.) can suffice.

View attachment 304460

View attachment 304461

Hello Terrarians! The 1.4 Journey's End update has been out in your hands for a bit now, and since you've had a chance to play through and experience most of the new, exciting changes and additions, we thought it would be fun to give you a chance to ask some behind the scenes questions of the skilled programmers and gifted artists of Re-Logic that spent their time working on this update. Best of all, just for joining in you may even win a prize!

THESE TALENTED INDIVIDUALS ARE PART OF RE-LOGIC, THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM BRINGING YOU TERRARIA ON PC, AND AS SUCH, DO NOT HAVE ANY INFORMATION OR ANSWERS TO GIVE IN REGARDS TO TERRARIA ON CONSOLE OR MOBILE.

Now's your chance to ask those burning questions, such as what was the hardest thing to code, how do the artists get inspired to create a new item, what goes into the balancing of a new weapon, etc. You can ask your question to the group in general, or if you want to ask a specific Terraria dev, here's who will be joining us in this Q&A event:

View attachment 304462

• Ask your questions in this thread, starting now until Tuesday, January 19 at 10:00 PM EST. Answers will be posted at a later date compiled together.
  • One post per member. No placeholder posts. You can ask as many questions as you want, but please keep them in one post. You may edit your post anytime.
  • Please keep questions reasonable and do not spam.
  • Some questions will be chosen and answered (not all of them).
  • Every member that asks a question will automatically be entered into a raffle.
    • You can ask as many questions as you want, but it won't increase your chance of winning. One raffle entry per qualifying member.
    • Raffle winner will be chosen by random draw and will win a prize of $50 Steam money. The winner will be announced with the answers.

View attachment 304461

That wraps it up for now Terrarians. Have fun with this opportunity and let the questions begin!

A quick reminder - this is for the PC dev team. Please don't ask questions about Console or Mobile. `:)
why weren't jungle mimics or cultist bags added in 1.4?

Okay so these questions are about vanilla and modded:

What do you think about tModLoader, and do you have any thoughts on making it official?
Which mod is your favourite, if any at all?
Just for some fun, how many frames of animation does the Eye of Cthulhu have?
What do you think about Journey's End and what are your thoughts on seeing Terraria's update line end?
Some YouTube videos have been releasing with a version number of 1.4.2? Have I missed anything, or is it just a typo?
What boss in vanilla and modded Terraria is the most of a pain?

That's all from me!

Hello, I’ve been playing terraria sense I bought it on mobile over 5 years ago when 1.2 still wasn’t out for mobile and sense then have purchased the game multiple times on many different platforms and is my most played game. My question to you is how come corrupt/crimson/hallow cactus blocks were never added to the game? It’s always felt weird breaking a purple cactus and getting normal cactus, it’s a small quality of life thing that I don’t think would’ve been to hard to implement so I wonder why it had never happened. And thank you to everyone who made this wonderful game!

Any plans to update Tmod loader to 1.4?
I think I can answer this one for you, tmodloader isn’t created by the official terraria developers, it’s made by different people so only they know when it will get 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom