Corruption or Crimson? Which do you prefer?

Corruption or Crimson

• Corruption

Votes: 173 45.3%
  • Crimson

Votes: 209 54.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
boss wise I say the brain is easier
The stats are REALLY pathetic
A few hits with any weapon with like 35 dmg and the boss second phase is done in seconds
The first phase is easy to handle cuz the boss and its minions are very slow , and infinite piercing weapon gets this done in secondes
Eow is harder cuz every time you hit the middle it splits up, allowing it to hit you more and more, the stats are good, getting more defensive the farther u reach the back, and the damage gets highest in the front, it also doesn't take 5 seconds to kill
The boss loot for brain is better tho.
crimtane armor is class freindly while shadow armor is purely melee
While demon bow is "faster" it is barely notice able and the damage is only 1 higher than platinum bow while tendon bow is at 19 dmg
blood butcherer is more dmg and better range
but in hm the tables turn
ichor arrows have a stronger debuff and are faster but have average dmg
cursed arrows have the 2nd highest dmg
golden shower can only be used in switched mainly for its debuff, while curse flames profits off of that and boosts its dps to insane ammounts
bladetounge is weaker than excalibur except for its ichor stream
toxicarp is moderatly good for ranger, but I feel like its very good for enemies and bosses that fly over you, like the twins
vamp knives should only be used when ur hp reaches a certain amount, otherwise your just missing out on dps
scourge of the corruptor is very good for dps but does not heal

in general, crimson is better in phm
And corruption is better in hm
none is better than the other
Neither is better in hardmode because you can easily just get both from the Dryad once hardmode starts using the Graveyard trick. Crimson is better because prehardmode is the only time it matters.

Corruption does actually compete well with Crimson in prehardmode, in my opinion.

Granted all of the demonite stuff is just flat out worse than the crimtane stuff (except in the case of the yoyos), but Corruption has a clear advantage in Shadow Orb loot. Musket is much better than Undertaker. Vilethorn is useful against early bosses and caving while Crimson Rod is a flat out disappointment compared to the Nimbus Rod. Melee gets access to the Ball of Hurt right away while having to wait until after Brain for a flail upgrade in Crimson, and the Rotted Fork is actually statually worse than even the Trident.

Of course Crimtane is better than Demonite in pretty much every single category you can think of, and I’m one who thinks Brain of Confusion is better than Worm Scarf. That in mind, I wouldn’t call either of the classes better for prehardmode.

As for Hardmode, it’s always an option to bring in the other evil so it matters less, but I actually still see the biomes as roughly equal. Ichor is much better at boosting single target DPS than Cursed Inferno, but Cursed Inferno can deliver continuous damage even to targets you aren’t actively attacking. Clinger Staff is a great weapon, but Life Drain is actually a beast for its tier. Chain Guillotine is a good melee bosser weapon while Fetid Baghs is an extremely efficient enemy shredder. Vampire Knives is the ultimate survivability weapon and Scourge completely deletes crowds. Bladetongue is great for invasions (and is NOT outclassed by the excalibur! what the hell are you on) while Toxikarp is good for exploring and bossing. Etc, etc. I’d say Crimson caters more to the aggressive playstyle and Corruption caters more to a cautious playstyle, although there are some exceptions.

As far as theme, I prefer Crimson, but the biomes are close enough to where I just hit random and am never really disappointed at whatever I get.

That's because it is. They block the same amount of damage in the long term (17%) but the brain of confusion has two other (admittedly minor) effects.
Worm scarf also has minor advantages, it stacks additively with some other dr sources like the endurance potion and frozen turtle shield, meanwhile brain of confusion only stacks multiplicatively with things even other dodge sources.

I would also argue that the confusion effect is bad more often than good.

I'll just long-post since I'm not doing anything.

Theme - Crimson:
Have to go with Crimson here simply because I prefer the theme and atmosphere of the biome. I know fleshy, visceral gorelands have been done plenty of times in videogames before, but so has the more nonspecific "infected" evil that the Corruption conveys. The red of the Crimson also strikes out at me more than the purple of the Corruption does, which serves a more mechanical purpose for easy identification in Crimson Ice biomes where the red ice really stands out compared to the purple ice of the Corruption (thus making it easier to clean). In addition, I prefer the Crimson BGs, even though the Corruption BGs recently got an update in 1.4 that provided them more variety than just the purple trees and dead tree BGs that they were restricted to prior. This Crimson BG with an arch and skull in the background with the sprawling red hills is my favourite evil biome BG. The red and black of Crimson Deserts is also appropriately edgy, severe.
ddd.jpg

World Generation - Tied:
Was originally going to give this to Crimson again because the Crimson chasms destroy the landscape less when generated, which is admittedly appreciated, but the Corruption has advantages too. I think a purified Corruption chasm looks quite neat, leaves an unusual amount of stone blocks on the surface and acts as a sort of natural ravine you don't usually see in pure biomes. The Crimson generation is also more annoying to purify because there's a good amount of Crimson that spreads well past both sides of the chasm horizontally, while the Corruption that's initially generated tends to hug pretty close to the chasm, making it easy to purify, especially since you can just drop in and out vertically. I will say that the Crimson chasms sort of look like either a grasping hand, or a heart and veins, which is cool.

Music - Corruption:
Both of them have fine tracks, the Corruption seems more classically "spooky" and investigative while the Crimson soundtrack is more grating and unnerving, thus it does make the Crimson nominally less inviting to be in. However, the Crimson soundtrack is too discordant to be appealing to listen to, even if it's supposed to be discordant to fit the aesthetic. The surface and underground Corruption themes are more consistent and harmonic, I prefer listening to them.

Enemies - Crimson:
Probably the only category I can easily give to the Crimson. The Corruption has some variety but all-in-all seems to just take the Eater of Souls and modify it a bit for most enemy types. Devourer is an elongated Eater of Souls, Eater of Worlds is a larger Devourer, Corruptor is a larger Eater of Souls, World Feeder is a bloodshot Devourer with more eyes, even the Clinger is a play on the Eater of Souls. Essentially, most of the enemy types are based on the formula of "brown cyclops creature with protruding teeth". The Crimson in comparison doesn't re-use many enemy types, each Crimson enemy is different aesthetically and even mechanically in most cases from the rest. They do use some of the same AI as other creatures (Face Monster just uses Fighter AI), but most enemy types share AI with another enemy. The Crimson has more aquatic variety to boot, which helps with immersion. Both have their contrasting goldfish variants but the Crimson additionally has the Blood Jelly and Blood Feeder, the Corruption has no counterpart to these. Corruption has too many worms as well, and I hate Worm AI with a passion.

Items - Tied:
I'd have to generally go with the notion that the Corruption has better pre-Hardmode items, while the Crimson has better Hardmode items. Contentious category but I never seen the crimson hearts to drop items with as much utility as the shadow orbs. Musket is generally thought to be better than the Undertaker and the Band of Starpower has more utility for mages than the Panic Necklace has for other classes. The light pets are more or less equal, though I prefer the Crimson Heart seeing as it appears to be somewhat faster and more dynamic, bouncing around and spouting blood everywhere. Since the Brain of Confusion was buffed it's been on better terms against the Worm Scarf though I still have a slight preference for the latter simply to further boost my defense. On another note, the Fleshcatcher (22% fishing Power, 13.5 velocity) is objectively better than the Fisher of Souls (20% fishing Power, 13 velocity) which is interesting considering how on all other notes the Crimson and Corruption are designed to be equal alternatives with trade-offs in one department for an advantage in another department. With the fishing poles the Crimson one seems statistically superior with no real sacrifice. The Corruption also has leather, I guess.

In Hardmode, the Crimson makes up for it a bit. Even with the Ichor nerf it's still a great debuff and readily attainable, so I think it still carries more worth than the Cursed Flames do, DoT was never that substantial in Terraria considering how much health every enemy has. Bladetongue is more or less on par with the Toxikarp for their respective classes, but the Flesh Knuckles offer more crafting benefits to the Berserker Glove than the Putrid Scent does to the likes of the Recon Scope or Stalker's Quiver (which only inherit the aggro-reduction, none of the damage or crit bonuses). Vampire Knives were also a very powerful weapon on their own at the Plantera stage (and my main weapon for melee even against the Empress before fighting Golem). Scourge of the Corruptor is also a powerful weapon at the Plantera stage but I didn't find it to carry long beyond that since it lacked the niche healing utility the Vampire Knives had.

So, totaled I'd prefer the Crimson, but not by any significant margin.

Corruption if on expert/master because of the worm scarf (its to op)

Crimson if on normal/journey because of there is no worms there, i like bladetounge, and crimson rod is a weak version of nimbus rod and i probably used the crimson rod until i get nimbus

(i didnt put this on expert/master because the accessory sucks and the face monster because just look at these stats)
Master
Damage75›66
Max Life210›231
Defense10
KB Resist68%

Expert
Damage50›44
Max Life140›154
Defense10
KB Resist64%

I took these stat straight from the wiki

Last edited:
In Hardmode, the Crimson makes up for it a bit. Even with the Ichor nerf it's still a great debuff and readily attainable, so I think it still carries more worth than the Cursed Flames do, DoT was never that substantial in Terraria considering how much health every enemy has. Bladetongue is more or less on par with the Toxikarp for their respective classes, but the Flesh Knuckles offer more crafting benefits to the Berserker Glove than the Putrid Scent does to the likes of the Recon Scope or Stalker's Quiver (which only inherit the aggro-reduction, none of the damage or crit bonuses). Vampire Knives were also a very powerful weapon on their own at the Plantera stage (and my main weapon for melee even against the Empress before fighting Golem). Scourge of the Corruptor is also a powerful weapon at the Plantera stage but I didn't find it to carry long beyond that since it lacked the niche healing utility the Vampire Knives had.
Putrid scent is more useful than the flesh knuckles, 5% damage and crit is nice, and being able to stack so of the most powerful accesories in the game is better than 8 defense if I want to use whips.

Putrid scent is more useful than the flesh knuckles, 5% damage and crit is nice, and being able to stack so of the most powerful accesories in the game is better than 8 defense if I want to use whips.
Hardmode doesn't really matter in the comparison though because you can just get both once it starts.

They stack, yes, but I've found the Putrid Scent didn't serve any particular niche the Emblems couldn't achieve similarly (if not better), while not carrying on its primary advantage to later upgrades. The Flesh Knuckles have the highest defense of all accessories at the stage you can get them while integrating said defense into the next upgrade, which is also one of the most powerful accessories in the game, for both Melee and Summoner. If I was rating them in a vacuum independent of tertiary relations to other accessories then I'd give the Putrid Scent the edge, but they fall into their upgrades by association anyway.

They stack, yes, but I've found the Putrid Scent didn't serve any particular niche the Emblems couldn't achieve similarly (if not better), while not carrying on its primary advantage to later upgrades. The Flesh Knuckles have the highest defense of all accessories at the stage you can get them while integrating said defense into the next upgrade, which is also one of the most powerful accessories in the game, for both Melee and Summoner. If I was rating them in a vacuum independent of tertiary relations to other accessories then I'd give the Putrid Scent the edge, but they fall into their upgrades by association anyway.
8 defense is much less useful than 12% melee damage, and even if you don't care about melee damage, 8 defense is nothing to write home about, especially in hard mode. I would even say that in singleplayer it isn't worth going out of your way to farm the flesh knuckles. If you get them by chance and have a spare power glove sure go ahead, otherwise you can just ignore them.

And before you say you can stack berserk gloves, the only real usful thing they have that can stack is that 12% melee speed, there are 4 other accesories that have 12% melee speed, and there is the celestial stones which provide 10% melee speed and a bunch of other useful stats.

If you want better survival stuff like the worm scarf, brain of confusion, charm of myths, cross necklace, or even the frozen turtle shell are much much more useful.

8 defense is much less useful than 12% melee damage, and even if you don't care about melee damage, 8 defense is nothing to write home about, especially in hard mode. I would even say that in singleplayer it isn't worth going out of your way to farm the flesh knuckles. If you get them by chance and have a spare power glove sure go ahead, otherwise you can just ignore them.

And before you say you can stack berserk gloves, the only real usful thing they have that can stack is that 12% melee speed, there are 4 other accesories that have 12% melee speed, and there is the celestial stones which provide 10% melee speed and a bunch of other useful stats.

If you want better survival stuff like the worm scarf, brain of confusion, charm of myths, cross necklace, or even the frozen turtle shell are much much more useful.
The Putrid Scent provides 5% to damage and 5% to crit damage, making it mostly inferior to the Emblems the Wall of Flesh drops at the same stage of progression. There is absolutely no reason not to get the best accessories available at the stage you're at for your class, and since the Berserker Glove provides an appreciable consistent bonus in all fields immediately at Hardmode, and remains relevant for 2 of 4 classes up to the Moon Lord, I'd say it's a great accessory. Do other similarly performing or better melee accessories exist? They do, but you aren't limited to one accessory slot, and Master Mode has more than enough slots that the Berserker Glove, or even the Flesh Knuckles before you get them can occupy a slot. The Berserker Glove also stacks defense, and more defense is always more useful than less defense, regardless of your impressions of the mechanic overall. Remember, I'm not making a case for the Flesh Knuckles within the confines of only themselves as an independent accessory, but all they connect to. In that regard, they serve to bolster defense far more than other accessories do in all of their upgrades while carrying on said bonuses to their upgrades, which the Putrid Scent doesn't, barring aggro reduction.

The Putrid Scent provides 5% to damage and 5% to crit damage, making it mostly inferior to the Emblems the Wall of Flesh drops at the same stage of progression. There is absolutely no reason not to get the best accessories available at the stage you're at for your class, and since the Berserker Glove provides an appreciable consistent bonus in all fields immediately at Hardmode, and remains relevant for 2 of 4 classes up to the Moon Lord, I'd say it's a great accessory. Do other similarly performing or better melee accessories exist? They do, but you aren't limited to one accessory slot, and Master Mode has more than enough slots that the Berserker Glove, or even the Flesh Knuckles before you get them can occupy a slot. The Berserker Glove also stacks defense, and more defense is always more useful than less defense, regardless of your impressions of the mechanic overall. Remember, I'm not making a case for the Flesh Knuckles within the confines of only themselves as an independent accessory, but all they connect to. In that regard, they serve to bolster defense far more than other accessories do in all of their upgrades while carrying on said bonuses to their upgrades, which the Putrid Scent doesn't, barring aggro reduction.
Pure classes aren’t optimal. Everyone thinks that they are, but they’re wrong. Mixing up summoned minions with a weapon from another class is stronger than playing a class pure, especially with omni-class damage bonuses like the putrid scent has.

Pure classes aren’t optimal. Everyone thinks that they are, but they’re wrong. Mixing up summoned minions with a weapon from another class is stronger than playing a class pure, especially with omni-class damage bonuses like the putrid scent has.
Every class can have one summon by default, which is a nominal boon, but not significant enough to make much of a difference. In addition, defense is also a omni-class bonus, while the crit from the Putrid Scent isn't quite omni-class, mostly being lost with Summoning, so you're left with a 5% damage bonus, meaning you may as well use an Emblem that gives you a 15% damage bonus instead. If you were going to play a hybrid class (which I'm not fond of anyway) then as far as Summoner or Melee is concerned, the Berserker Glove is viable for both and the defense is more noticeable with Summoner gear due to the classes low defense.

Every class can have one summon by default, which is a nominal boon, but not significant enough to make much of a difference.
You're forgetting that you can have multiple summons very easily by default from potions and a completely free station.
defense is also a omni-class bonus
It's a completely terrible omni-class bonus that's almost completely useless in every difficulty above normal once hardmode starts for every class except Melee, but you aren't wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom