• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Gusteen

Terrarian
This is a short post but I have a small opnion to tell

In the crimson their are crimson hearts which when broken summon BoC, they drop some decent weapons including a sword and a some good ores, one weapon however you need above all else The Crimson Rod

For those who dont know the Crimson Rod is a magic staff that creates a singular rain cloud of damaging blood, it lasts for about 2 minutes or until you make a new cloud, it costs little magic and it does decent damage over time

One time the EoC attacked me un my town I nearly died til I found an exploit
Keep him in a vertical zone and use the Crinson Rod on him, it continually damages the eye and defeats him in 4 minuetes flat

This weapon is best used for bosses like Queen Bee and possibly Skeletron (I havnt beaten him yet in this new playthough, It mainly harms the hands) and the rod rips BoC first phase to shreds

In conclusion get the Crimson Rod it will make your life easier in Pre Hardmode

Do you agree with this statement, do you use the Crimson Rod???

Confirmed Crimson Rod works against Skeletron really well, just bring campfires and a lot of potions

I mean, it’s a cast and forget weapon, so there’s really no reason *not* to use it, but I’ve always found it mediocre at best.

The issue with it is, unlike Nimbus Rod, it doesn’t have enough damage to really make much of a difference. You only get 1 cloud, and its base damage is low enough for the defense of most bosses to reduce it down to less than, like, four. Even with the shark tooth necklace, its damage is still quite unimpressive, and combined with its fire rate its damage output is not impressive at all.

Best bosses to use it on are probably King Slime and Queen Bee, since they spend much more time stationary. Other prehardmode bosses either move a lot more themselves (Skeletron) or force the player to move (Eye of Cthulhu, Brain of Cthulhu). You can force those bosses stationary by not moving yourself, as you did, but facetankinf isn’t a viable strategy and its output is still bad (4 minutes against Eye is really long, trust me). It can also be used against the goblins somewhat - but again, its output per its tier is massively lower than the Nimbus Rod so don’t expect it to do too much in your favor.

It’s not useless, like I said at the top, but I don’t find it very good and I prefer the Vilethorn to it any day.

I find it the same as above.
I also find that it is not good since it is stationery,and most bosses are not as stationery in pre-herdmode then they are in harmode,and the lack of clouds also makes it owrse.
I find it ironic though that most people find the vilethorn good but then drop it's hardmode counterpart in hardmode.

This is a short post but I have a small opnion to tell

In the crimson their are crimson hearts which when broken summon BoC, they drop some decent weapons including a sword and a some good ores, one weapon however you need above all else The Crimson Rod

For those who dont know the Crimson Rod is a magic staff that creates a singular rain cloud of damaging blood, it lasts for about 2 minutes or until you make a new cloud, it costs little magic and it does decent damage over time

One time the EoC attacked me un my town I nearly died til I found an exploit
Keep him in a vertical zone and use the Crinson Rod on him, it continually damages the eye and defeats him in 4 minuetes flat

This weapon is best used for bosses like Queen Bee and possibly Skeletron (I havnt beaten him yet in this new playthough, It mainly harms the hands) and the rod rips BoC first phase to shreds

In conclusion get the Crimson Rod it will make your life easier in Pre Hardmode

Do you agree with this statement, do you use the Crimson Rod???
In my opinion it's trash

I find it ironic though that most people find the vilethorn good but then drop it's hardmode counterpart in hardmode.

I actually find the crystal vile shard and nettle burst to be decent. Granted, they aren’t the best things to ever exist, but they have a valid enough niche to where I’ll go and grab one. They both hit through blocks like Vilethorn for one (huge advantage in Hardmode dungeon), and since they both have long duration and reach, they can stunlock many enemies at once. Their damage to a single target is not worth it, but their crowd capabilities and wall pierce give them a niche.

I actually find the crystal vile shard and nettle burst to be decent. Granted, they aren’t the best things to ever exist, but they have a valid enough niche to where I’ll go and grab one. They both hit through blocks like Vilethorn for one (huge advantage in Hardmode dungeon), and since they both have long duration and reach, they can stunlock many enemies at once. Their damage to a single target is not worth it, but their crowd capabilities and wall pierce give them a niche.
I find it surprising when no one picks up a wall-abuseable weapon.
I used to think that everyone pciked up the crystal vile shrad.then I was wrong.

I find it surprising when no one picks up a wall-abuseable weapon.
I used to think that everyone pciked up the crystal vile shrad.then I was wrong.

That’s cause they both sucked :red: before 1.4. Their damage was so low that they both did 1 damage to anything of their tier, and Vile Shard didn’t last very long and couldn’t even stunlock enemies. And like other weapons like Desert Tiger and Wasp Gun, their reputation was tainted by being trash in the past even though they were given huge buffs.

I think the main problem with crimson rod is the fact that you're missing out on vilethorn unless you're playing on drunk world or you're willing to hop between worlds. Mages don't have many strong crowd control options early game, as most weapons' projectiles pierce once before dissapearing on the second hit, or don't pierce at all, but not the vilethorn - it has infinite piercing, and it stunlocks most foes, meaning you can keep hordes of enemies off of you (most notably durning goblin army, blood moons and slime rain). This isn't even considering it's wall piercing abilities - it is the only pre-hardmode weapon that can reliably attack through walls without forcing you to poke holes in your safety boxes. Even if you're not playing mage, this weapon is still extremely good to have just because of how strong and reliable it is against hordes of enemies.

Crimson rod is by no means bad - you really can't complain about free damage - but picking it over vilethorn means choosing a bit of extra free damage over perhaps the strongest pre-hm crowd control weapon, and for pure mages it means losing a strong weapon choice that you can get as soon as you grab a few bombs/bomb fish.

I think the main problem with crimson rod is the fact that you're missing out on vilethorn unless you're playing on drunk world or you're willing to hop between worlds. Mages don't have many strong crowd control options early game, as most weapons' projectiles pierce once before dissapearing on the second hit, or don't pierce at all, but not the vilethorn - it has infinite piercing, and it stunlocks most foes, meaning you can keep hordes of enemies off of you (most notably durning goblin army, blood moons and slime rain). This isn't even considering it's wall piercing abilities - it is the only pre-hardmode weapon that can reliably attack through walls without forcing you to poke holes in your safety boxes. Even if you're not playing mage, this weapon is still extremely good to have just because of how strong and reliable it is against hordes of enemies.

Crimson rod is by no means bad - you really can't complain about free damage - but picking it over vilethorn means choosing a bit of extra free damage over perhaps the strongest pre-hm crowd control weapon, and for pure mages it means losing a strong weapon choice that you can get as soon as you grab a few bombs/bomb fish.

Not only that, but Vilethorn is also a lingering hitbox which makes it the only Mage weapon at its stage that can consistently hit expert Eye. And it’s the only wall piercing prehardmode weapon I can think of off the top of my head without abusing minion AI. Unlike Crimson Rod which is occasionally some extra damage, Vilethorn actually has a niche in combat. Besides, Corruption is more beneficial to mages anyway with the earlier Band of Starpower and better hardmode weapons.

Back
Top Bottom